• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

Having Fun On The KLR!

Duke

Reaction score
First Name
Duke
I finally got time to take the KLR out for a ride, so I threw it in the back of my truck and brought to my parents place up in Nacogdoches County. After taking care of "chores" that any son must do when he visits his 70+ year old parents (yard/lights/leaking plumbing), I took it out for some play time.

I played in the pastures getting the feel for just how light it is compared to the BMW, riding figure eights and lots of concentric circles just trying to get to know my new friend.

I left the house and rode over to HAIRSMITHS and made fun of him trying to install his new to him Jessie bags that he bought from TEXIAN (nice meeting you TEXIAN!). He and I talked Kawasaki for a little bit and then I left him to his project as I was going to go and ride Brown Ferry Rd.

It was a year ago I was last on this road while riding the GS and it nearly ate me for lunch. Deap Sand, ruts, and gravel. Well today, its Deep Sand, Ruts, Gravel & a whole bunch of MUD thrown in for good measure.

WHAT A FUN RIDE! Did not have a single get off, and I never had to deploy my outriggers while in the sand like I do when on the GS. What a difference doing this stuff with a 300 pound bike is vs. a 600 pound'ish bike.

I had an absolute blast. Played in multiple mud holes and even turned around a couple of times just to ride through them again (and again, and again....)!

It was a blast to come towards a turn... hard on rear brake, turn in, and then roll on the throttle out through the gears, and just listen to that exhaust sing. (Yes it is too loud for me, but dang is it addictive!)

Got back home eventually and started to ride it a good bit harder in the pasture, over little hills catching a little bit of air. I am no where near skill level I was in 1986, but dang it if I did not have that same feeling inside and a smile to boot.

DESMO... the bike performed flawlessly (Thanks Again :clap:). You were right, I am more than impressed with the power that this bike has. Not sure if it is related to the jetting & exhast, or my attitude, but it carried my big ole butt all over the place today and did not let me down at all, even surprised me a couple of times. You would be upset with me though, as I got it pretty dirty today. I did give it a bath tonight, but it is still soiled a bit. For those that don't know, you could have eaten off the bike when DESMO sold it to me, he takes very good care of his rides...)

Sorry no pictures, I got away from the house without my camera.

Last edited:
It feels like a kid with a new toy, doesn't it? I wish I could get a few people to understand the feeling!

I have really enjoyed my KLR, even on the pavement. Get into some twisties and it will give most any sport bike a run for the money. If there are any straights though... well... I too was shocked at the difference in the weight when going from my 1150GS to the KLR! Of course, getting on a full blown dirt bike was even more shocking :lol2:

Duke now that you have the KLR I will be glad to take the GS off your hands. :trust:

I know you would, but I did learn that 100 miles on the KLR is like 400 on the GS. I am so sorry for giving you all grief about trailering and only doing 200 mile days. I think I am going to keep the GS... might even try to rig up a trailer for the GS to pull the KLR... hmmmmm... might be on to something.

One of these weekends you will have to come up to east texas with me. YOU Would Go NUTS on the roads near my parents home.

Hi, Duke,

Congrats for the KLR!
So when are we going to go ride?

Thanks,
Ken

Soon I hope. I left it at my parents last weekend as I will be out of town this week and and will be heading back up there for Mothers Day.

I will be bringing it back down here then.

Pssst... did I mention that this bike is fun too....

...might even try to rig up a trailer for the GS to pull the KLR... hmmmmm... might be on to something.

Well, if you cover the fuel I'll ride the KLR out there for ya, then I'll park it and go 2-up on the big beast! :cool2:

Glad to hear that you enjoyed the KLR outing.
Sorry I was unable to make the ride with you, But I had the GS to a point where I had to finish it up so I would have transportation (like I need it that bad with 4 cars and one other motorcycle setting hear at the house) I did get the bags on and have put some miles on it with them mounted. WOW these suckers are BIG !
Glad to hear Brown's ferry Rd. was not underwater, with the rain we are getting now it will make it even more interesting. The local kids in the 4x4's will be getting out and making a mess of some of the remote roads.
Hopefully some of us can get together and ride some of the deep East Texas roads soon.

DESMO... the bike performed flawlessly (Thanks Again :clap:). You were right, I am more than impressed with the power that this bike has. Not sure if it is related to the jetting & exhast, or my attitude, but it carried my big ole butt all over the place today and did not let me down at all, even surprised me a couple of times. You would be upset with me though, as I got it pretty dirty today. I did give it a bath tonight, but it is still soiled a bit. For those that don't know, you could have eaten off the bike when DESMO sold it to me, he takes very good care of his rides...)

I'm glad you are having fun with it. It seams to be jetted a little rich, but it runs so good, I did not mess with it. The exhaust was a little loud for me too. But when I removed some of the discs from the muffler, there was a noticable decrease in power. I put them back in and got better earplugs. Problem solved.

Regarding dirt, you would not believe what that bike has been thru. It cleans up fine and eagerly awaits the next adventure like a good dog.

Steve

Back