• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

Marko vs Deer

Marko

Reaction score
Hi this is Markos wife Laura. Just to let you know Mark had a run in with an Axis Deer near Vanderpool in the Hill Country on Saturday Night. He was taken by Life Flight to San Antonio on Saturday and is still hospitalized tonight. He is doing well with 5 broken ribs, broken scapula, collapsed lung and big road rash on his hand and back. We are very thankful that the outcome is as good as it is and would appreciate your prayers for a speedy recovery.

Thank you and look for Marko back on the boards in a week or so.

Sending good juju his way. I hope you get to eat that deer as a consolation prize.

Prayers of strength and comfort for you, Laura, and healing for Marko.

:eek2: Prayers sent for a speedy recovery!

Very sorry to hear this news. Best wishes for a speedy recovery, Marko.

Many folks here don't know you, but most (or all) of us will do everything we can to help anyway. Don't hesitate to ask.

Here is to a speedy recovery Marko and glad to hear the outlook is good!

Hate to here that, ride out there alot myself. Thoughts your way Marko...

Whoa! Prayers and get well wishes out to ya. I've been down those roads many a time myself. LOTS of deer in the area.

Rub some dirt on it! Always seemed to help when I was a kid. Heal up quick, get back in the saddle and we'll send you some bambi sausage to help you get even. :trust:

uh oh, hate to hear that. Sending prayers up for you and Mark both Laura. :pray:

sorry to hear, but, glad the outcome was favorable. Our thoughts are with your family and wish Marko a quick recovery!

Hope he's feeling better soon! Does he get a new bike out of this? :trust:

Sorry to hear he went down hard. Hoping for a speedy recovery.:zen:

Last edited:
First off, thank you all for your prayers and warm wishes following the accident. This was really uplifting to both me and my family.

The Story
I had spent wonderful day of riding the 33x area and was headed back to my hotel in Kerville. I was taking a leisurely pace northbound on 187, basically just enjoying the day. It was approx 5:45 and I was doing about 65 on a straight level piece of road (best I can remember). I have no idea where the deer came from. It simply appeared directly in front of me. The DPS officer told my wife that there were 4 ft. of skid marks. From what I can recall, I’m surprised there was even that. I’m also told that the deer was 6 points and about 150 lbs. This seemed to greatly impress my friends who hunt. I simply know that now I pretty much hate deer. The rest of the story is fairly hazy but is of the typical transport and treatment in the ER fair. I do remember that all of the people who helped me that night were both kind a professional. My deepest thanks goes to these individuals.

Damage Report
5 broken ribs on the right side, broken right scapula, collapsed right lung, road rash on right hand and a couple of broken fingers on the right hand. I also had a couple of minor strawberries on my knees and elbows. This seems strange as my gear wasn’t compromised in these areas. Perhaps these were caused by friction burns with my gear? My hospital stay was a bit longer than I would have liked as my pesky lung wouldn’t seal properly. But all is well now and I am home and recovering nicely.

Gear Review
Along with my jeans and a t shirt, I was wearing the following gear: Helmet, Jacket, Pants, Gloves and some version of Nike ACG hiking boots. I am completely stunned and the amount of damage that my gear absorbed. With out my helmet, there is no question I would have died at the scene but I didn’t even have so much as a headache afterwards. The damage to my jacket was also quite impressive with the back and shoulders being completely rashed and almost worn through in a couple of places. Also, the seams under the right arm seem to have been burst under the initial impact although I’m not exactly sure if that is the case or that is where they cut the jacket away from me. For all this, I had no rash where my jacket was. My pants held up fairly well but I believe that if I hadn’t been wearing jeans underneath I might have received a some minor road burns. Thank goodness for the cool morning temps! The boots were scuffed a fair bit but are still in good shape. The one failing was the gloves. I had been meaning to replace these for some time and now I’m sorry I hadn’t gotten to it. It seems that while sliding, the glove on the right hand got peeled back or off resulting is a fair bit of rash on the top of my right hand. No more wrist gloves for me!

The Bike
The bike is still in Bandera. A ranch owner that my wife’s company does business with has agreed to store it until we can make arrangements to pick it up. I’m told that she is in remarkably good condition but judging from the box of parts/pieces that I have that were picked up from the scene, I’m skeptical. Apparently it’s at least in good enough shape to roll in and out of trucks as it’s been moved twice already. Does anybody have any suggestions as to how I might get it to Houston? I suppose I could rent a u-haul and drive to Bandera and back (I don’t have a truck or a vehicle with a trailer hitch).

Conclusion
I feel extremely blessed that my injuries were not more significant. My angle of a wife has already said that she is OK with me riding again however it is a strange feeling for me to look upon the beautiful spring days of late and not feeling the urge to ride. Riding has always been in my blood, perhaps in time the urge will return.

Anyway, we’ve all heard it before but I bears saying again – WEAR YOUR GEAR – it will save you!

:tab Glad to hear from you!

:tab You can get raspberries under the gear from the gear shifting around on impact. Typically, this will be seen at places like elbows, knees, shoulders, and maybe the hip. I second the recommendation for good gloves. Hand injuries are NOT FUN!! hehe.

:tab I totally understand about how you never saw the deer until it was literally right in front of you :doh: I tagged one at about 65mph on a dirt road on the way to Big Bend with some other TWT people. I was on my BMW R1150GS at the time. Creamed the deer. I never saw it coming until the instant before it got brained by the left jug of the engine... :-| I managed not to go down, but I had a VERY sore left leg/ankle from where the hindquarters swung around and slammed into me.

Back