• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

05May07...

Reaction score
First Name
Jeremiah
Couldn't think of a clever title....

Did a solo ride today to scope out some new terrain.

On a network of gravel county roads, oilfield roads, cowtrails, and powerline r.o.w. tracks, I was able to run a little over 50 miles of continuous dirt...then I turned around and did it again....

100 miles of dirt...

hmmmm....

The 1st Annual Cinco de Mayo 100!!!

Anyway

Started before sunrise w/ a clean bike...
DSC02783.jpg

DSC02788.jpg

DSC02790.jpg

DSC02791.jpg

Thought this was a cool Pre-Apocalyptic shot...
DSC02794.jpg

This stretch was VERY fun...

DSC02800.jpg

DSC02803.jpg

This potash mine is barely visible in the background in the pic above^
DSC02804.jpg

DSC02810.jpg

DSC02815.jpg

Awesome ride.

Next weekend, I am going back with a friend to ride some of the nasty stuff that I didn't want to risk running solo...

Nice report. Saweet you got the IMS tank, the conversion to black is complete. I am jealous I really like the way you have your KLR setup, it looks mean...I too have the radiator/reservoir guard and I was curious to how the new tank fit around the guard, it looks like it fits fine. I might have to get me one of those monster tanks because I don't see myself painting the stock tank.

Looks like a great ride! How far from the home site is it to the start?

@dbdolan

I think I m really gonna like the IMS tank. I was gonna paint mine (for a year or so...) but just couldn't bring myself to do it....don't know why. Anyway, there was a group buy at klr650.net and I just jumped all over it. The radiator guard works well with the tank though it does block access to the mounting points for the front of the tank. I just flattened out one of the stock shroud tabs, bolted it down to the lower mounting point on the tank and zip tied it to the radiator guard.

It just wouldn't be a KLR without zipties holding on the tank...:trust:

@Tourmeister

The "start" is 15 miles from the house.

I could have hit dirt roads about 5 miles from the house but I would have had to cross private land and a few gates...

The route I took was all public land and not a single gate was in my way...

The 50 mile one-way super fun dirt route bypassed about 40 miles of relatively straight, flat, unexciting 70mph 4 lane slab...

I need to find 30 more miles of dirt and then I can go from Hobbs, NM to Carlsbad, NM sans pavement.

Back