• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

Camping Recommendations

Reaction score
First Name
Christine
Steve and I are looking for a new camping experience this Fall within 50 to 100 mile radius from Austin. We love Blanco state park and camp there regularly, but would like a change of scenery. Some places we are considering: Inks Lake, Lockhart, and Kerrville. This would be tent camping from our scooters. A water hook up and public showers are all we really need, but we would also prefer a site that has a covered picnic table on a slab and a campground that is not too noisy/crowded. Recommendations, including why you like a particular place, would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

I think Lost Maples State Natural Area is within your range. It has all the things you've said you're looking for and has the advantage of being an excellent base camp for some great riding. Since it's a Natural Area, there aren't as many amenities in terms of camp store, playground, etc. but that just makes for a quieter, more enjoyable experience for someone who just wants to camp, hike, and ride in peace. Right up the road from the Lone Star Motorcycle Museum, too. Beware of the trails labelled "steep", as they truly are, but will reward you with some great views if you're up to it. If you hit it at the right time in the fall, the colors are spectacular as well.

+1 on Lost Maples nice place.

Pecan Park Retreat just east of San Marcos. It is a private campground on the San Marcos River. Most weekends it is nowhere near full, but this time of year it can be full. Nice restrooms, owned by really nice folks. They cater mostly to Boyscouts/Girlscouts and church groups. There is no alcohol allowed, but be discreet and you are OK. Tell em Rodney Swann sent ya. Great riding starts west of town. If you camp there let me know, I live about two miles away and will come visit y'all.

Garner State Park, great place, very crowded in Spring and Summer. Best to visit during winter. Right in the middle of the best riding in Texas.

Krause Springs near Dripping Springs, 32 springs, beautiful place and near good riding.

Inks Lake is beautiful and near some great riding.

Stay away from Lockhart. I am not aware of any campgrounds other than the State Park and it exists to support a golf course. There are only a handfull of campsites and they are not very pretty.

Guadalupe State Park on the Guadalupe River, very beautiful and near good riding.

Kerrville-Schreiner is a nice place, on the Guadalupe river, and near great riding.

I have been wanting to go check out Camp Wood in Leakey, it caters to motorcyclists and is in the middle of the best riding in Texas.

Back