• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

GPX Files

Reaction score
anyone have some favorite routes to share from austin?

i'm got a new Zumo to get loaded up :)

best regards,

patrick

Welcome to the site Patrick! :wave:

Paved or unpaved routes? :-P

:tab For DS stuff, you need to hook up with Richard_. I am not sure where in Austin he lives. Rides a KLR 650 and WeeStrom 650. He has been scouting out all the good stuff. Also has a Zumo that he put to good use on a trip to Mexico last March with me and a few other guys. He probably used it for the recent Junction rally as well. That included both street and DS stuff.

For transfer, the GDB (Garmin format) files are usually quite a bit smaller in size than the GPX. Squeaky posted a 3-sisters route on here a week or so ago that I remember seeing.

Richard has files available for his Texas Adventure Ride routes but you need to check with him for availability. He made up a very nice booklet as a ride quide for this years which was last month.

I have some paved routes saved. I'll post them when I get a chance.

For transfer, the GDB (Garmin format) files are usually quite a bit smaller in size than the GPX. Squeaky posted a 3-sisters route on here a week or so ago that I remember seeing.

Richard has files available for his Texas Adventure Ride routes but you need to check with him for availability. He made up a very nice booklet as a ride quide for this years which was last month.

I like the gpx format because it is a generic exchange format. Plus you can open it in Google Earth.

If you stick with GDB, then Magellen and TomTom users have to use something else convert it.

edit:

I didn't contribute to the first question, so both Richard and I have Zumos. And I have a copy of the routes from the TAR, but I look upon those as Richard's intellectual capital and will let him distribute as he likes. Those routes are all centered around Junction and are a mix of dirt and smaller paved roads.

To be perfectly honest, you could put in Llano as a destination, set the zumo to avoid highways, and see what it does for you. That puts you in the area of some interesting roads. 1431 all the way out is great, then 16 down towards 956 (Enchanted Rock) and Willow City loop is in that area too. Explore, have some fun. Tell us if you find something spectacular. No wait, just tell me :-)

Last edited:
Back