• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

The Mountain Recon DS Ride, Monterrey, Mexico, Oct 11-14, 2007

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction score
First Name
Rich
Last Name
Gibbens
Attendees as of 10/08/2007:

1. Richard
2. Uncle
3. Dirtbike Dave
4. Mike Frederick (mff)
6. Dick Jacobs (triumphant)
7. Alan (Eulogite)
8. Dan VanDam
9. Jerry Powell
10. Milton Otto
11. busted knuckle
12. Tim (thumper)
13. Chuck (CeeBee)
14. Chuck Taylor
15. Zoot
16. Steve Smith
17. Doc (DrBlackBird)
18. Wattner
19. Bishop
20. Onian (Matt)
21. Frank Colson
22. James McCanless
23. Roger Dill (Stealth007)
24. Jeremy McReynolds
25. Rick200

6/25/2007 Hotel Update: Since some (most?) of us don't speak Spanish I will be communicating regularly with the owner of the Hotel Jardin (the hotel we are staying at for this trip) on behalf of our group so that enough rooms are set aside for us. In order for this to be effective, here's what I need from you to make this work - your firm commitment, as soon as you can make it, that you will be attending this trip. This way I can make sure enough rooms are reserved for us. Please don't wait till the last minute to sign up.

MAPS:
I've acquired some topographic maps from INEGI (the Mexican Governments agency responsible for mapping, census taking, etc.) for use during this event. They are detailed maps of the area we will be reconing and include most of the unpaved roads in the area.

I will post them to the Mountain Recon page on my web site. I recommend downloading these maps to your computer and then printing a copy of each to bring with you. If you don't have a color printer you can save the files to a disk or flash drive and have them printed at Kinkos or someplace similiar. I suggest printing it in color, on 11 x 17 sized paper.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I'm organizing a dual sport/adventure ride in the Sierra Madre mountains south of Monterrey, Mexico for Thur- Sun, Oct 11-14, 2007. I invite all dual sport and adventure riders to join me at this ride, especially those with keen desires for adventure and exploration. I'll be posting the details on my web site but we can use this thread for on-going planning, organization, and communication.

The Mountain Recon

The basic plan is to link up in the town of Galeana (which is south of Monterrey) on Thursday, Oct 11, at 6 p.m. local time.

We will organize ourselves into 2-6 man recon teams and spend Friday & Saturday, Oct 12-13, riding/reconing the roads & trails in the Sierra Madre mountains. We will debrief each evening, followed by a sampling of the local fare and probably while consuming Mexican beer and other spirits.

On Sunday folks will head back home.

The ride reports I've read about this area make me believe it contains a really good mix of excellent dual sport roads and paved roads. And some great single track too.

It won't be hard to get there. It isn't all that far (only 460 miles from Austin) with freeway most of the way (boring, but fast). Crossing the border is simple and straightforward.

So, put in for leave, pack your duffel bag, and ride or trailer to Galeana on Thursday, Oct 11th. We are going to have a great time and do some fantastic riding.

I have written a ride guide to help those attending prepare for this recon. The ride guide is posted to my web site so anyone who wants a copy can download it.

The Mountain Recon Ride Guide

To save a copy to your computer, right click on the ride guide hyperlink and select "save link as".

T-shirt & Sticker
A friend of mine designed a logo for this trip. If you would like a t-shirt or sticker, you can order one from cafepress.

Here is the logo he designed:
RECON.jpg

The other side of the shirt has this logo:
reconback.jpg

Last edited:
ALL DS Riders...?

What if you get a turnout like you got at Junction? ;-)

And don't forget to post the "Rules" of the ride :-P :lol2:

<Tourmeister heads off to check his calendar...>

I would be intrested in riding this area again , made a couple trips down there in the 80's . Wonder how much it's changed . SEYA

Hotair,

You could always trailer the Ural there...

Cagiva 549,

Excellent. You are a prior service adventure rider with experience in the theater of operations. Perfect. I'm promoting you to squad leader in charge of one of the recon teams.

Just read the last post taged on to the Junction ride , my last trip to the area in 1990 all the riders wifes went , The ladies went shopping in Montery alone one day , no problums and rode in the hills 2 up no problums . That was almost 20 years ago . It was good country and good people that we met there . SEYA

<Tourmeister heads off to check his calendar...>

Captain Tourmeister,

Your extensive expertise in adventure ride operations and your recent cross-border excursion experience make you a natural choice for team leader during this operation. I hope your request for orders to participate in this operation are approved.

I just posted at the end of the TAR thread. I may be able to score some local connections in and around Monterrey and Saltillo.

Ken,

Local connections! That is great! Thank you.

It would seem you are the perfect candidate for the Brigade S-2 (Intelligence) Officer job for this operation.

It this the same weekend as the BMW national rally (of Mexico), which will be held in Monterey? ( and the answer is no, the rally is the last weekend.) Over six hundred Beemers will be there. Probablly me too. Hardy
Hey Richard I'd like to be included.

Last edited:
I'll have to take a long, hard look at whether I go or not. There may be significant financial incentives for not missing work (like enough $$$$ to buy a new KLR).

Sign me up.
Mike Frederick,
A friend of Uncle Rogers

Count me too!!!

I'm up for this one. Already put in my calender.

www.dickjacobs.com

'07 BMW K1200LT (So she can ride too)
'06 BMW HP2 Super Motard (Took the place of the GSA)
'07 BMW R1200GSA (South America on this one - totaled on the Tail of the Dragon)
'99 Cagiva GC 904 (Continental Divide Trail on this one)
'95 Triumph Trophy900 (Bar hopping)
'91 Ducati Strada 856 (Track bike)
'02 Bajaj Legend Scooter (When fuel @ $4.00/gal)

Last edited:
I'm in! Sounds like a great time. Hopefully I'll be coming directly from Creel so the timing is perfect. Let me know how I can help. John

I've located a hotel for us to stay in during this trip. It is the Hotel Jardin and is located in Galeana. This is a 26 room hotel and I understand they are motorcycle friendly.

Hotel Jardin
Intersection of 5 de Mayo & 15 de Mayo streets
Galeana, Mexico
telephone 826-213-0420 (if dialing from the USA dial 011 52 826 213 0420)

Last edited:
Saltillo absolutely rocks! We have always stayed in the same hotel just west of the z
zocalo and never paid more than $450NP. Great hotel with a secluded parking lot to
hide from the Transitos (long story). I think it is Hotel Mision??? I will see if I can confirm...
17761951-S-1.jpg
17761925-S.jpg

Conveniently enough that very same hotel is only a short walk from one of my favorite bars/restaurants in the world:
17762047-S.jpg
17762045-S.jpg

The mountains between Saltillo and Monterrey beyond San Antonio and near the resort
Monterreal have some fantastic DS riding opportunities. The setting is quasi-alpine. In July/August the highs are never above mid 80's and it is comfortably dry. It reminds me
of northern New Mexico.
86522636-S.jpg
86522835-S.jpg

86585857-S.jpg

In the highly unlikely event that trouble should find you, well, I have friends in the area.
86586601-S.jpg
86587613-S-1.jpg

I would love to go but have already double-booked that weekend with HU in Creel and
M2M in Marathon.

Have I mentioned that I love Saltillo??? You all are going to have a GREAT time.
Please don't tell anyone. :trust:
86596663-S.jpg
86595382-S.jpg
86596254-S.jpg

Last edited:
AusFletch,

Sorry you won't be able to make it this year. Not to worry though, if things go as planned we will be doing this every year in the Fall.

I am all set to go.. But i have never paid more than 200 pesos or 20 bucks for a motel room in Mexico????? 40 bucks is a little high for my cheap *** wallet. I may have to look around, I don't need the 5 star treatment, I will settle for a clean bed and hot shower, I am sure there is more like me out there,
Mike

I am all set to go.. But i have never paid more than 200 pesos or 20 bucks for a motel room in Mexico????? 40 bucks is a little high for my cheap *** wallet. I may have to look around, I don't need the 5 star treatment, I will settle for a clean bed and hot shower, I am sure there is more like me out there,
Mike

Mike,

Split the room with another rider and BAM! it's $20 per person :-P

I'm sure there are some $20 hotels around Saltillo. Hopefully you can locate one.

I'm very interested......!

If trailered, where would truck and trailer be left?

I'm probably going to trailer to Laredo on Wednesday night and overnight in a local motel. I will arrange to leave the truck and trailer in the motel parking lot until my return on Sunday.

If you trailer to Mexico, I'm sure you could leave truck/trailer at the hotel you are staying at in Mexico.

Last edited:
Richard, me and my bunch ain't really into rallies (or any grouping of very many people, cities, or well....we just ain't that sociable to tell the truth;) but we do love to ride ) but I got to tell you, this kind of deal sounds too cool for words. I've sent links to my two nephews and three other riding buddies. Ever since I saw that thread on advrider, of that road between the two sheer canyon walls (my that's attractive) , I've been plotting to get down there somehow. But being limited in Spanish and not liking border crossings :eek: I thought I'd be limited to some Pancho Villa Tours type thing.

I saw reference to temp's still being pretty high, what are we expecting weather to be?

There should be enough dirt road and paved road for those of us on GS's and DL's, right? My bunch ranges from "single track capable" (the nephews), to "we might die" (the old farts).

I was told today to make sure everyone's passports are still good, over 6 months before expiration or they won't let us across. Have y'all heard that?

Hi Richard:

I may be game for this as well. Is this going to be a TAR like event with the rides starting and ending at the same Hotel every night?

I have never taken a vehicle across the border and I don't speak Spanish so I have no clue what is involved.

I have spent many enjoyable weeks in Saltillo in the past for work.

Thanks!

slowoldguy,

Glad you hear you and team are thinking seriously about attending.

Historically, the weather that time of year in Saltillo is low in the high 50s in the mornings and highs in the mid-80s in the heat of the afternoon. A snap cold front might push the temps down to the low 50s/high 40s and a heat wave would push temps up to the low 90s. Not much rain that time of year either. So generally speaking I believe the weather will be perfect for adventure riding.

I believe there will be roads suitable for all types of bikes. I'm hoping some true "single track capable" bikes/riders show up to recon the single track for us. The rest of us on the larger adv bikes will be exploring the paved and dirt roads. I'll be riding my Wee-Strom and Uncle will be on his GS, so no single track for us.

I haven't heard that about the passports expiration.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back