• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

Honda XX and Varadero Ride (TX)

Reaction score
Sprack and I rode a route provided from this site (Thanks Meister) yesterday. It was also the first ride for me of any significance since the clavicle surgery and for the Honda Varadero that I recently scored.

I left Port Lavaca after work Saturday at 6:00 and rode to the in-laws in Karnes City to get a jump on the ride for Sunday. The first 110 miles or so.

I had agreed to meet Sprack at 9:00 in Dripping Springs. 6:30 out of the rack and on the bike at 7:30. Of course I didn't fill up before I got to the in-laws...it'll matter later :) Foggy biatch all the way up 123. I was making decent time so I decided to take the scenic route through New Braunfels rather than slab it all the way to San Marcos (it'll also matter later). I arrived in NB no problem but going out of Gruene things started sucking (remember, no sun due to the fog so sense of direction was nada) and my MSN map printout wasn't correct at least with the markings on the signs. One thing led to another and I ended up at Hunter road with the choice of going back to NB or San Marcos so what the ****, I went to SM to catch Ranch Road 12. At straight up 9:00 (the meet time) I was at the intersection at of 12 and Hunter road. The ride to Dripping Springs was uneventful and the fog started clearing out...arrived at 9:25 so not too bad all things considered.

Sprack was full of fuel and ready. I filled up, drank some water, and tried to walk around a little. 9:47 we are off towards Bee Cave to find the unknown roads. I lead since I've laid the route out (thanks two Wheeled Texas BTW). First excitement happens within 3 miles on Fitzbaugh Rd, a Hummer (H2) decides that he owns 25% of my lane in a right hander...no biggie, just pitch it a little more which I find out that the Dero drags stuff a lot quicker than the FZ1 or R1 naturally :) not real close really but it probably looked worse from Sprack's view. We ride along for a while and I run across a little wheelie hill (actually a few of them but this one is special) and notice it in time to bleed a few Kilos (I have no MPH indications on the Dero and I haven't got used to the conversion BTW). Anyway Sprack does a wheelie across it that got a little more vertical than I think he intended. We then go past a sheep ranch and wonder how many Aggie's we'll lose during TeXXt if we bring them that close to their kind of place of ill repute. :lol:

We get off of 1323 at Eckert and bust a left onto a cow pattie lane known to the locals as Eckert Rd. Plenty of blind corners, cow patties, cattle guards, low water crossings etc. We pretty much decide to leave it off of TeXXt until we find a really cool spot for a photo op but as of now it's a 'to be determined' and probably best left off for a large group just 'because'. We arrive in Fredericksburg and stop for some water and 1/4 of a link a dried sausage each (an early sign of the day to come) and some chain lube 'just because'.

Head out of F-Berg on 16 looking for the next cattle guard road. Farther out of town than expected we peel off on a semi-loose gravel paved road already in my mind to be eliminated from TeXXt but we push on. After a couple of miles we make a left onto some decent blacktop and all is good. Very nice road as it turns out which out in the middle of nowhere we meet a RX8 Mazda, 350Z, and three BMW 1150RT's (well at least 2 of them were I believe). We make it to the end and hang a right on 1341 which provides some cool sweepers and suspension jarrings low water crossings (Oh yeah, we're smiling). We make it into Kerrville, gas up, drink water, eat the other 1/2 link of the dried sausage, take a couple of pics and head back East.

We reversed our course but instead of going to the scenic cow trail, we head for Comfort to catch 473. We head out on 473 and end up closing on a 2 up BMW R1200R (whatever the 'James Bond' Cruiser nomenclature is). I go thru a left hander only to be met by the "Fuzz". Remember the Kilometer not MPH thing, Lights come on and I ride about a 1/4 of a mile and pull over at a good spot. Sprack stops and tells me the guy killed the lights and was just warning me apparently. I asked how fast I was riding and Sprack says around 55 so I must have been speeding up to the 70 in the transition zone. Off we go again. The rest of the ride to Fischer Store Road near Wimberley and Driftwood is uneventful. We stop at the Fischer Store, drink some more water (Sprack's wearing a Camel Back so in truth, he's watering all of the time), take a couple of pics, say good day, and split up. Sprack is going to check a couple of routes from there to Driftwood and I'm heading for the coast. San Marcos' traffic sucks and I'm getting real tired of the Dero's seat. I think it's too soft and am getting many miles logged standing on the rear pegs and cooling off from Mother Nature's A/C and getting some relief from that freaking seat.

I decide to forego my normal ways home and just Slab it all the way home to Port Lavaca, arriving at 5:00 PM.

I ended up traveling 1020 Kilometers (644 miles) over that 22.5 hours and would do it again but will NOT be riding up from Port Lavaca for TeXXt like last year...too much slabbing.

TeXXt is a gathering of CBR1100XX's BTW if anyone was wondering.

Richard

:tab Sounds like you had a great time. The seat on my GS sucks too. Coming back form Arkansas this weekend, I spent a great deal of time standing as well.

Adios,

Back