• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

Well it has happened to me...

Low

Reaction score
Well it finally happened to me. :tears: Sunday 6:50 PM 091904. Heading south thru Magnolia on 1774 (I think) towards Tomball 30 MPH speed limit ( I was probably going 40). A lady in a white Thunderbird heading north decided to take away the left 2/3 of my lane about 20 – 30 feet in front of me. :eek: There was a truck behind her and a open T-junction to my right. I decided to serve right to the interception to try and avoid her. I managed to clear her car but I must have hit the gravel on the side of the road and high sided. My bike slid about 80 feet down the road and I slid about 30 feet down the road. It’s amazing that in that short span of 3 seconds (at least that’s what it felt like) I was able to decide which why to go, clear the obstructed car, wipe out and slide the all the way across the intersection. What’s really funny to me is I sat up and the first thing that came out of my mouth was nothing but “Thank You”.:twisted: :angryfir: :twisted: Now don’t get me wrong I was pissed to the highest level of pisstivity,:headbang: :headbang: I jumped up and walked over to my bike and picked it up to move it out of the street. Now remember my bike weights about 634 lbs wet and I had just filled it up. When my bike fell off the trailer ramp in July I needed help to lift that bad boy up, but I guess the adrenaline was pumping through me so strong I didn’t even feather the thought that it was too heavy (wonder if that was wrong of me to do that, oh well). I moved my bike through the ditch to the school parking lot and the lady pulled her car to the car wash across the street (Interesting right).:huh: Well I knew the my level of rage would not have made the matter any better so after I saw that the lady had stopped and got out of her car, I pulled out my camera to start taking pictures of the damage. There where a couple of nice by standers that happened to stop (Still not sure how much of the accident they may have seen) to render aid. Funny they where more concerned for my well being then I was. So they started to dial 911, which is funny too, it took two people 3 attempts each before they could get somebody to answer the phone.:rant: Well I was down trying to get a close up of my lower fairing area and one lady said that the police was finally on their way. The next thing I know the Guy that was also there trying to call the police said, “hey the lady’s leaving”. ***, :miffed: I turned around just long enough to snap a picture of the car going down the street, :shooter: go figure. I thought I knew the plate number but another lady said something completely different so I wasn’t sure. Well maybe 10 minutes late (If that) the police arrived and amazingly I was in a generally good mood. The officers ran through their normal routine of asking questions and all surveying the area and people getting voluntary statements. Soon after the police arrived EMS showed up and was all fired up about trying to take me to the Hospital.:shrug: I really didn’t have much personal damage but some scrapes on my knees & elbow and some real road rash on my forearm, but that was it. Now if I wasn’t wearing my gear then yeah I would have needed a doctor and a putty knife, cuz I would have left part of my face and backside on the street after looking at my helmet and jacket. But thank GOD (Thank you Jehovah :hail ) all I needed was some industrial strength Peroxide that seemed to sting more then normal and a bandage. After showing the officers the picture and signing the; No I will not go to the hospital form. We (the police and I) went to the fire department to down load the picture of the woman’s car to try to blow it up and see if we could make out the plate number. After all said and down it was time to call the Wife and give here the news. At first she was worried but after I calmed her nerves she was able to return smart comments, like the one that was pretty funny “Weren’t you wearing that new shirt I just bought you? That’s the second one you ruined riding your bike, now I have to buy you some new shirts and pants.” Like she needs an excuse to go shopping, :brainsnap I guess I’m happy to help her out. But to cut this story short, I now fall into the statistic of newbie’s having accidents with in their first 6 months of ownership. But I’m Alive and Well considering, now I have to answer all of those questions of, What happened, What did your wife say and my new favorite Are you still going to ride again. So when they start I quickly answer; an accident, Not much and YES I will ride again, and for a matter of fact I was able to ride my bike home. Now if I could just get somebody to clear up this picture of that ladies cars so I could get her to pay for my new paint job. But with my luck She doesn’t have insurance and will never get any money out of here even if we found her. Guess I'll have to chalk this up as another lose. :roll:

Link to photo album

I feel for you, Low. It's good to know that you & the 12 only got a little road rash out of the deal. That woman may have bigger problems than simply compensating you for damages - if the authorities can identify her, they may file against her for failure to stop and render aid, which is a criminal charge.

BTW, sorry I haven't sent you the photo from the previous weekend. I forgot about it until seeing your post here. I'll e-mail it this evening.

Wow, sorry to hear about the accident. Glad you made it through ok, ruined shirt and all. I like hearing that you will, in fact, be riding again.

You know, I really don't need fairings to practice painting THAT badly - you guys can stop scraping your bikes against the pavement now!!!

I should be able to help repair the plastics without too much trouble, depending on the extent of the damage. It doesn't look like any major pieces are missing, so we can just fill in all the scratches and rashing and get that baby repainted.

Sorry to hear about that but glad you are OK..!!! :chug:

Did you went to your Doctor to get a check-up..??? You need to be sure that everything is fine in the "inside".

Squeaky said:
I should be able to help repair the plastics without too much trouble, depending on the extent of the damage. It doesn't look like any major pieces are missing, so we can just fill in all the scratches and rashing and get that baby repainted.

Oh really :mrgreen: Squeaky... well depending on what happens at Motorcycles Unlimited I may just be enrolling your assistance.

I am generally happy that everyone is glad I’m safe…

All in all I'm happy to have made it through this with just a little scratch. Everyone says that "Oh that is a very powerful bike...." Well sorry but you don't have to go fast to get hurt. I have made it a point to be a little dainty (Louisiana word) with the throttle, so not to let it get away from me. Now don’t get me wrong I have tested the waters and reach certain heights (which I will not go into cuz Teresa may be reading) but only in areas where I felt that I was less likely to have to react to traffic and PoPo and on very familiar roads. Which brings me to a different thought. I was on my way home and it was dark of course, down Telge. That road is very dark! I was actually going 30 mph around the turns and 40 on the straights, I just could not see very far past my headlights (mental note find brighter head lights). I now understand why those cats ride up and down Westhimer and Richmond after dark, cuz they are well lit streets. Get those cats out in the country after dark and they’ll really be in trouble. Sorry, I found a little soup box there for a minute. Anyway, I have found a friend that works with some cats in the Crime Lab for HPD so maybe they will be able to do some thing with that image.

You are ok. That's what matters, bro!
thumb.gif

Glad to hear you will be still ride! Is the bike ok enough to make the ride this coming Saturday?

Isn't that adrenaline great? Sucks when it wears off and the pain starts in though.

10-95 said:
Low,

If they don't find the car give me a shout. I might be able to help. I'm going to be out of the office until Monday though.

meadorsk@bryantx.gov

I'll do that, but even if we never catch her, I bought a used bike on purpose, so I would not feel so much pain with a new bike.

bcbickers said:
You are ok. That's what matters, bro!
thumb.gif

Glad to hear you will be still ride! Is the bike ok enough to make the ride this coming Saturday?

No Dought!!! I enjoy this way too much to stop now.

Is it an 03 or 04? ZX10R?
If so, I found the paint already - Kawasaki Lime Green #617 - 1/2 Pint for $62.95.

It sounds to me like you made all the right decisions when it counted. You ended up a little scratched, but hey, at least your not a hood ornament. :lol: It could've been much worse......

With a little more experience under your belt you'll find that you don't end up in situations like that. Unless your not paying attention. At that point it is time to sharpen up mentally or pull over.

Seriously though, I'm glad you are alright. The bike will get fixed one way or another. You, on the other hand, are irreplaceable.

It's time to take a deep breath, kiss your wife, and drink a couple of cold ones for friends and family.

:chug:

Sucks, sucks worse that she took off...

If you email me the original image, I'll mess around in Photoshop and see what I can read. The little 58K one you posted doesn't have enough detail to work on the plate much...

Course your buddy may already have done it. tschoepe@earthlink.net

I was in a hit and run once with a diesel rabbit! While I'm looking under my car, he gets in his, backs off, floors it and goes. Of course in a Gen 1 diesel Rabbit it takes about 5 seconds to get to 10 mph - so I had plenty of time to get his plate. Bellaire cops, they had him that afternoon.

He got real cooperative after a ride downtown.....

At least you can joke about it...

Ouch. Always good to hear that the rider comes out alive. Had no idea the ZX12 was that portly. My friends and I were victims of a hit and run and although everybody was ok, we were furious that the guy took off.

Squeaky said:
Is it an 03 or 04? ZX10R?
If so, I found the paint already - Kawasaki Lime Green #617 - 1/2 Pint for $62.95.

Rebecca it’s a 2000 ZX12R… Nice of you to find the color… I know I will need that soon so send me the links please.

HiSPL said:
... It could've been much worse......With a little more experience under your belt you'll find that you don't end up in situations like that. Unless your not paying attention. At that point it is time to sharpen up mentally or pull over.... It's time to take a deep breath, kiss your wife, and drink a couple of cold ones for friends and family.

:chug:

For sure it could have been a whole lot worse. How did you know I did that exact thing, :scratch :party minus the wife part… kind of hard to do that over the phone. However, sharpening my skills is the name of the game. I try to ride a few days every week for that purpose alone.

:dude: I have already taken the first steps to getting back on the road in a few days or weeks, thanks to eBay and saved me a lot of money. Unfortunately I wont be able to make the ride on the 25 due to a few reasons 1. I don’t have a turn signal and 2. my wife has volunteered me to cater a little party so my day is all jacked up, oh well next time, I hope.

eBay Link

Glad you are ok. Do you have a better pic of the car though? The dent in the back left quarter panel is at least some help.

Skid

Hey Low,

So sorry to hear about the accident but glad you faired well. Any updates on the mystery driver? What's the status on the bike? I hope this didn't deter your wife from riding anymore than she was. Gosh .... ruined another shirt huh? :roll:

Snoopster said:
Hey Low,

So sorry to hear about the accident but glad you faired well. Any updates on the mystery driver? Gosh .... ruined another shirt huh? :roll:

The mystery lady is still a mystery. Unfortunately, all attempts to clear up the picture have failed. Thank you to everyone that tried. I guess I have to camp out in Magnolia every now and then to see if I can see her car. But I refuse to be stressed over it anymore. I was Finally able to ride it today (It's about time :dude: ) Replaced what parts I could replace minus the upper fairing and went to get an oil change, so at least the rain decided to hold off awhile and allow my to get in some road time. The funny part is when my wife got back to town she already had a replacement shirt in hand funny how that works. She claims that she is still thinking about taking the safety course, but only time will tell.

-Low

Back