• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

My last dual sport ride in TX

bones

Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Last Name
Zubak
Met up with Calgery-Yogi on his new KLR650 and Sparkyphotog on his GS in Montgomery for some riding around Sam Houston National Forest.

After some slab time in, we came upon some good gravel. Rain last night made it a zero dust day thank god and not to slimmy.

156747327-L.jpg

Right at this point Desmo came riding by and stopped. I meet him last month on a ride up here and he is really familiar with the area. I was just telling the other two Friday night about Desmo's XR and how it's drool factor. He was kind enough to take on a tour and it was a lot of fun.

Nice and dust free roads to traverse

156747305-L-1.jpg

Brian dumps it in the wet sandy clay. Man this stuff is tricky. Gotta be even worse with 90/10 tires and a big ol 1200 bike. Brian is 3 for 3 on dumps in his short dual sport career. Keep it up man! :rider: Yogi had the camera out faster than a hooker taking a 10 spot.

156747373-L.jpg

156747388-L.jpg

That is all I got. I know Graeme and Brian got a lot more than I did.

Great ride, some real slick snotty clay, lots of water, some rain towards the end of the day. 278 miles door to door for me.

Thanks again Desmo for leading us around. Made the trip much more enjoyable for me.

Home safe, tired and can not wait to do it again. Running out the door so will post pictures later.
I did check if Sparky was OKAY before I started snapping.

Not home yet - stopped at my folks house on the way. Will be home in a couple of hours, then I'll post up. Had a blast mud wrestling the she-beast!:rider:

Chris,

Sorry I guess I missed the great ride. I was *&^&%$#& (
put whatever excuse you want to hear).

I went to short ride in greater Lake Conroe area in early this afternoon for late breakfast. Saw a lot of cruisers, but not you guys. Maybe next time in IA.

Ken

Wish you could have made it Ken. It was great ride for a dual sport. Could not have been any better IMO. Take care

Had a great ride with Bones (Chris) and Calgary-Yogi (Graeme). Met up at the Texaco at 105 and 149 in Montgomery...

156818462-M.jpg

Hit the road looking for some dirt...
156818805-M.jpg

Finally found some dirt...
156819366-M.jpg

The steeds...
156820505-M.jpg

Yogi showing off is off-road attire...
156820041-L-1.jpg

Desmo (Steve) happened to roll up on his XR 650 R - sweet bike :rider: ...
156820832-M.jpg

We go to talking and decided we would all ride together for the day, so we took off into the woods with Desmo leading since he knows the area well...
156821652-M.jpg

Oh what a beautiful place to ride...
156823391-L.jpg

Desmo quickly got us into some real nasty stuff...
156825230-M.jpg

He kept saying "This should be the last of the bad stuff." After the fourth time I quit believing him. :giveup:
156825603-M.jpg

You already saw the photos of my GS taking a nap, but you need to know that Yogi's new KLR got a little sleepy as well :haha: ...
156824603-L-1.jpg

Unfortunately he was quick to pick it up out of the mud, so we don't actually have any photos of it napping. We do have one of it when it woke up...
156824902-M.jpg

Now this is what a GS is supposed to look like :rider: ...
156825952-M.jpg

156826249-L-1.jpg

Now how is it that Desmo rode all the same stuff we did, but hardly got his bike dirty, and still had clean jeans? :scratch: The man has skills :rider: ...
156827260-L.jpg

Bones, it was an honor to accompany you on your last dual sport ride in Texas (at least for the foreseeable future). We wish you all the best on your move up north and hope you will keep in touch. Keep the rubber side down. :rider: :rider: :rider:

Home safe, tired and can not wait to do it again. Running out the door so will post pictures later.

I got my photos posted before Yogi :nana:

I did check if Sparky was OKAY before I started snapping.

To be fair, they all ran over to see if I was OK since I went down pretty hard and the bike spun completely around when it hit. I got to my knees and signalled for the camera. :rofl:

Ahh.. man I am sorry I missed the ride, I was out doing yard work most of the day. I need to check the boards more often I totally missed this one.:doh: Bones good luck to you and maybe we will ride again.:rider:

Like Sparky after Desmo saying "That's the worst of the bad stuff" so often, if he were to tell me the Sun rose in the East I would got out side just to check for myself ;-)
Joking apart Desmo Thank You for leading the newbies.

It was a sad day for me, after some 40,000 miles this is the aftermath of my very first lay down, up until this little get off I have never even drop a bike
in the driveway.

156824603-L-1.jpg

but the ride today was worth it and I sure the golf cart will be on its side a few more times.

The boys looking for dirt
IMG_1659.jpg

And looking
IMG_1660.jpg

Still looking
IMG_1661.jpg

Mission accomplished dirt found
IMG_1664.jpg

Honestly, a gopher this big jumped out if front of me !!
IMG_1662.jpg

Reality strikes
Oh God, please make it so that I haven't damaged BMW_Babe's bike
IMG_1663.jpg

Everybody heading home, thankfully still in one piece.
IMG_1667.jpg

A couple of instructional vids.

Lesson 1.
How to clear cut some bush on a BMW (The tractor)
http://s117.photobucket.com/albums/...7- DS Bones/?action=view&current=MVI_1665.flv

Lesson 2
The DS Bike Wash
http://s117.photobucket.com/albums/...7- DS Bones/?action=view&current=MVI_1666.flv
Notice two things
1. How clean Desmo is before and after Bike Wash.
2. The Tsunami heading towrds Huntsville when the GS goes thru.

Last edited:
Ah, what a great ride. It was muddy enough to be a real challenge. Remember, what doesn't kill you will make you stronger.

I'm so glad I ran into you guys. I was just before thinking it would be a good day for a group ride. The forest service roads were in great shape with no dust. I knew my goal for the day would be good and muddy and it was. Maybe a little too much so for the big GS. At one point when it was REALLY muddy, I signalled for the others to stay put and I would scout ahead. After I made it thru (with major slippin & slidin) I looked back and Sparky was walking his GS thru the mude hole! Now that is a trouper! Or maybe he just didn't want to turn around 'cause he knew what was behind us. Either way you get points in my book.

When you make it thru something like that, you are sure thankfull to see pavement. And a gas station. By then I was almost on reserve and we had worked up an appetite. Gas station food actually tasted pretty good. Reminded me of Pickens where they make the best sandwiches ever.

Bones, I hope your adventures bring you back to Texas soon.

Steve

Ah, what a great ride. It was muddy enough to be a real challenge. Remember, what doesn't kill you will make you stronger.

I'm so glad I ran into you guys. I was just before thinking it would be a good day for a group ride. The forest service roads were in great shape with no dust. I knew my goal for the day would be good and muddy and it was. Maybe a little too much so for the big GS. At one point when it was REALLY muddy, I signalled for the others to stay put and I would scout ahead. After I made it thru (with major slippin & slidin) I looked back and Sparky was walking his GS thru the mude hole! Now that is a trouper! Or maybe he just didn't want to turn around 'cause he knew what was behind us. Either way you get points in my book.

When you make it thru something like that, you are sure thankfull to see pavement. And a gas station. By then I was almost on reserve and we had worked up an appetite. Gas station food actually tasted pretty good. Reminded me of Pickens where they make the best sandwiches ever.

Bones, I hope your adventures bring you back to Texas soon.

Steve

Steve, I really enjoyed the day! Thanks for leading us to some great dirt riding. Actually, that is my first time to ride the GS in muddy conditions, so I was pretty please with how things went. Heck, I had to try it sometime, might as well have been yesterday! When I saw you slipping and sliding in that one mud hole, the one Yogi crashed in, I decided that walking was the best option. I just knew if I didn't, I was going to go down again. All in all, it was a great day, but I am really sore today! Spent the day today popping advil and laying on the couch watching TV. :giveup:

So, here is the GPS track of the ride in case anyone is interested.

Attachments

• 20070527 Dual Sport Ride.gdb
    29.4 KB · Views: 206
  • 20070527 Dual Sport Ride.gpx
    163.6 KB · Views: 234
I must have missed something while I was away... Where and When are you moving Bones?

Just so you guys know, most of the roads with the red dirt that are SE of Huntsville are on a private hunting lease. If you get caught back there, the owners are usually not real friendly and are almost always armed ;-)

Just so you guys know, most of the roads with the red dirt that are SE of Huntsville are on a private hunting lease. If you get caught back there, the owners are usually not real friendly and are almost always armed ;-)

Really? Not a sign anywhere. How is one supposed to know that riding in the NATIONAL FOREST. :wary: On my map, that's public land.

That would explain the hunting stand at the side of the road. :doh:

Thanks for the head up Scott

Last edited:
Back