• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

Installed Hyper Lites tonight

chiko

Reaction score
First Name
Eric
Last Name
Chipko
hilites.JPG

Picture taken with my hand over the flash becuase otherwise the license plate reflected to much of the flash.
Took about 10 minutes to install. I considered putting on a second pair figuring if one is good then two is better but they are very much brighter than I expected. Easily as bright as the bulb in my brake light.
Mine are set for permanent flash but you can set them for flash then solid after delay.

Available at cyclegadgets if interested
http://www.cyclegadgets.com/Products/product.asp?Item=HL

:tab Personally, I am not a fan of the blinking feature. When group riding, if you are trailing someone with these lights, it can be very distracting in the twisties. Just as bad are those little replacement bulbs for the taillight that makes the light spiral, blink, etc,... I very much like the intensity of the Hyperlights though when used in regular brake light mode. The tail LED lights on the new SV650's and 1000's are incredibly bright! Very effective even in bright sunshine.

Adios,

Unfortunately I spend more time on the slab commute than I do in group rides so I need the distraction for my benefit and the other cagers.

You cannot turn the blinking off entirely but they provide a short wire.

According to the directions:
If you cut the green wire it converts to a light that always blinks to one that blinks for 5 seconds and then stays to solid.

The blink rate is pretty fast. Somewhat faster than my turn signals. But not twice as fast as that.

Kinda hard to change you mind back though. Not impossible.

There is a special kit that is particular to the spade type connections in the BMW brake light that make it extra easy to install.

I would think it would be easy to put a single throw on/off switch on the green wire. Setting it to off, would be the same as cutting the green wire. Of course, that assumes you want to mess with it hehe. ;-)

Adios,

No Blinkee

Tourmeister is correct.
If you are willing to mess with it and go well beyond the original designers intentions, you can just cut the flasher module out of the circuit altogether either permanently or via a switch.

The flasher taps onto the hot lead of the brake light via a special spade connector.

In the most extreme options case, you could switch this hot wire so that + went to the flasher or straight to the LEDs so that you had either flashing or solid LEDs respectively.

Then you could switch the green control wire so that if flashing the flashing could be 5 seconds then solid ( green wire open ) or always flashing (green wire closed).

If you just want solid lights without all this stuff, :-| you should probably get the generic version and cut the flasher out. The BMW version just had the special spade connectors that arent that special and was a well sized wiring harness for the application.

Too bad they don't just sell the LED assembly. I'd wire it as blinkers/signals instead. Right now I have one LED that supplements the flushmounts so I get all angles and one LED is suprisingly capable.

Tourmeister said:
The tail LED lights on the new SV650's and 1000's are incredibly bright! Very effective even in bright sunshine.

Adios,

You know, I never realized how bright they were until I got to follow Rebecca. "Wow neat mine's that way too!"

For anyone who wants a selection of LED lights and set-ups..try http://www.superlumination.com They have most any LED set up that you want to use or adapt, they even have LED bulbs that you can replace your dashlight bulbs with...I have red ones for a Cockpit lighting style, they even have strobe set-ups and LED strobe set-ups..if you don't have hazards, you could use the strobes for that application.

A double pair

I am curious becuase I almost did the same thing.

Did you buy a pair and decide it was good and buy another pair or did you figure "These cant be that bright, better get two sets."

I was in the second camp until the last minute when I decided that I would rather not have two sets of crap and cut my losses at one. Then I was very happy with how bright one set was.

Joe, if you're gonna be at the meet in Plano tonight, I'd like to take a lolok at the halfand half model you installed. I had the basic 2 banks of 8 on my Triumph, and am waiting for my set to come in for my Connie. I found some LED turnsignals at Cycle Gear in plano, they are bright and look good, but if the bike is not running the hazards are invisible :eek: , with the motor running they are bright enough. :-D

Sounds good....if nothing else, I could come out to your neck of the woods next week,maybe eat at Ghengis Grill..ummm, fooooooood :dude:

Dragwn,

As much as you seem to enjoy thinking about, planning to consume, and all other aspects of food, I am surprised that you are not much larger than you look in your avatar :-P

Adios,

Hehehehehe, :chug: well, if you use the right lense, even shamu can look slim , but seriously...I'm lucky to have a big frame, kinda like my Connie, and don't show my buffet style as badly, maybe I'll make it down south and get some kolachies and we'll meet up. :party

Though a bit late in the thread...

... I got some for Xmas from Mama. AWESOME.

Plug and play... 10 minute install.

Definitely my favorite upgrade... though... my new PIAA lights Mama got me are a close second.

:chug:

I would get a better realy for your PIAA's, the PIAA relays used to last a short time then go poof, any 30 AMP relay will take care of it, or carry a spare relay.

Dragwn said:
I would get a better realy for your PIAA's, the PIAA relays used to last a short time then go poof, any 30 AMP relay will take care of it, or carry a spare relay.

Really? I've not heard of that...

... thanks for the tip.

No worries, it's a bit of info from when I was doing alot of endurance riding, one of the first things most LD Riders would do is get rid of the PIAA factory relay

Finally got around to ordering Hyper Lites and they arrived quickly. Awesome.

Installed them. Awesome.

To sum it up, they're awesome.

Back