• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

Another request that folks pray for the site

Tourmeister

Keeper of the Asylum
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
Scott
Last Name
Friday
Howdy,

:tab When TWT got started, it was a small community with a close knit feel to it. It was actually possible to read every post without spending countless hours in front of the computer. Folks were generally very civil to each other because of that perception closeness. It was several years after the site got started before I even had to think about creating a Mod staff to help out with the duties.

:tab So we've recently pushed past the 4,000 member mark. With that increase there have been some growing issues. That tight close feel has been slipping away. Some members have moved on because of this. Others linger but pine for the old days. The growth of a site like this is inevitable so long as it is not doing anything to drive people away in droves. I doubt it will ever be possible to recapture that close knit feeling again. However, I don't necessarily think that a bad thing.

:tab I firmly believe, and have repeatedly been told by many members, that one of the main things that has set TWT apart from other sites is what we expect of our members with regards to how they treat other members. The focus on civility and the lack of personal attacks and vulgarity has long been at the center of this policy. With more and more new people coming to the site, it gets harder and harder for myself and the mods to enforce this policy. It seems that there are quite a few folks that expect to behave the same here as they would at any other site. Some even seem to delight in intentionally "stirring the pot" just to get a reaction out of folks. This just adds to the workload for myself and the mods. It also takes away from the positive experiences of the other members by fostering divisiveness.

:tab Here is what I am asking of those of you that pray. Pray that the people of TWT would seek first to be peacemakers instead of pot stirrers. Pray that the new people coming in will notice the civility, respect and courtesy of our members and emulate it. Pray that our members would seek to use their time and efforts to build strong personal relationships with other members so that they may all benefit from coming together. Pray that our members would give others the benefit of the doubt when they think they are being slighted or insulted before they fire off a reactionary and inflammatory post. Pray that the pot stirrers will reconsider posting their controversial topics and replies. In general, pray that the community will be strengthened and made closer in every way possible while allowing for the diversity and varying perspectives that make getting to know everyone such an adventure.

:tab We don't all have to think exactly alike. We don't all have to behave exactly alike. We don't all have to agree on loud pipes, helmets, Harleys, LEO's, Iraq, gun control, trailering, or anything else. However, anyone wishing to post here needs to remember that the person on the other end should be treated with respect and civility, just as you would wish to be treated.

Matt 5:43-48
43 "You have heard that it was said, 'Love your neighbor and hate your enemy.'
44 But I tell you: Love your enemies and pray for those who persecute you,
45 that you may be sons of your Father in heaven. He causes his sun to rise on the evil and the good, and sends rain on the righteous and the unrighteous.
46 If you love those who love you, what reward will you get? Are not even the tax collectors doing that?
47 And if you greet only your brothers, what are you doing more than others? Do not even pagans do that?
48 Be perfect, therefore, as your heavenly Father is perfect.
(NIV)

:tab Loving others in the absence of reciprocation is a tough thing to do, yet that is what is expected of every believer. Just as God loves those that are undeserving (as in all of us, believer or not), we too should seek to love everyone, even when it is not easy and when they are being obnoxious or hurtful. Responding in kind is not being loving ;-)

Thanks.

Okay, I've prayed and will add it to my daily list. I agree with your desire for the friendly feel of the board too.

"Drive Friendly the Texas Way"
Forum friendly the TWTex way.
Any one have a No Troll avitar? Something like the "No Sniveling" one you see on occasion.

I do like the tone. I just stay away from the threads that are likely to generate that type of nasty response. Now, the true trolls? Ban them. Shoot first and ask questions later. We'll help you bury the bodies. I have a ranch. ;)

Done, Scott... and for you and the other Mods, too. It's largely your leadership that has made this community so good.

I've always thought that this was your true purpose for this site. You might be better served by changing the URL to twtexchristians.com

Seriously.

:tab I fully recognize that there are a great many members here that are not Christians. I have no intent to use TWT to convert or badger anyone to accept Christianity. However, I make no apology for it being a foundational part of my life or that it influences how I run the site. Everyone's beliefs and values drive everything they do in their lives, why should Christian's be any different? :shrug: My rules for the forum would be the same whether I was a Christian or not ;-)

:tab I fully recognize that there are a great many members here that are not Christians. I have no intent to use TWT to convert or badger anyone to accept Christianity. However, I make no apology for it being a foundational part of my life or that it influences how I run the site. Everyone's beliefs and values drive everything they do in their lives, why should Christian's be any different?

Being a Christian person myself (Episcopalian), that was part of the appeal of this site when I decided to join. But I think that even the non-Christians here respect the fact that you operate by a set of values that is analogous to other areas of your life. After all, I think if it was manifestly offensive to them, they wouldn't have joined to begin with -- so I don't see the need for a change to the URL.

I'll admit that in my own spiritedness of idea-sharing, I think you go too far with some of the language restrictions. I can understand banning things like the 'F' word, but words like 'H-E-Double-Hockey-Stcks' for example, have literary uses that are not vulgar. That said, I respect that it's your website, and so I gladly adapt to the rules -- even if I have to re-word a post here and there (wink, wink).

With regard to the socio-political controversies here, I think it's all just a part of the moto-culture schemata. A lot of these conversations and debates are among the same topics you'll hear discussed on a Bike Night gathering in Anytown, USA. And as a guy who's spent the last 17 years swinging his cyber-machete through some of the thickest briar on the Usenet, I'll be the first to tell you that you've done a great job of keeping things mostly civil.

From the Episcopalian Book of Common Prayer, Page 824:

"O God, you have bound us together in a common life. Help us,
in the midst of our struggles for justice and truth, to confront
one another without hatred or bitterness, and to work
together with mutual forbearance and respect; through Jesus
Christ our Lord. Amen."

Fotomoto, although Tourmeister quoted Christian scripture at the end of the original post, I didn't see where he said folks other than Christians couldn't pray to whatever/whomever they find holy. It was simply a request for prayer.

And bro, I ain't much for religion of any stripe but I've never had a problem with people praying. I've had occasion to do a little myself, confused as it may have been. Lighten up. Tolerance is a good thing. ;)

Howdy,

:tab When TWT got started, it was a small community with a close knit feel to it. It was actually possible to read every post without spending countless hours in front of the computer. Folks were generally very civil to each other because of that perception closeness. It was several years after the site got started before I even had to think about creating a Mod staff to help out with the duties.

:tab So we've recently pushed past the 4,000 member mark. With that increase there have been some growing issues. That tight close feel has been slipping away. Some members have moved on because of this. Others linger but pine for the old days. The growth of a site like this is inevitable so long as it is not doing anything to drive people away in droves. I doubt it will ever be possible to recapture that close knit feeling again. However, I don't necessarily think that a bad thing.

:tab I firmly believe, and have repeatedly been told by many members, that one of the main things that has set TWT apart from other sites is what we expect of our members with regards to how they treat other members. The focus on civility and the lack of personal attacks and vulgarity has long been at the center of this policy. With more and more new people coming to the site, it gets harder and harder for myself and the mods to enforce this policy. It seems that there are quite a few folks that expect to behave the same here as they would at any other site. Some even seem to delight in intentionally "stirring the pot" just to get a reaction out of folks. This just adds to the workload for myself and the mods. It also takes away from the positive experiences of the other members by fostering divisiveness.

:tab Here is what I am asking of those of you that pray. Pray that the people of TWT would seek first to be peacemakers instead of pot stirrers. Pray that the new people coming in will notice the civility, respect and courtesy of our members and emulate it. Pray that our members would seek to use their time and efforts to build strong personal relationships with other members so that they may all benefit from coming together. Pray that our members would give others the benefit of the doubt when they think they are being slighted or insulted before they fire off a reactionary and inflammatory post. Pray that the pot stirrers will reconsider posting their controversial topics and replies. In general, pray that the community will be strengthened and made closer in every way possible while allowing for the diversity and varying perspectives that make getting to know everyone such an adventure.

:tab We don't all have to think exactly alike. We don't all have to behave exactly alike. We don't all have to agree on loud pipes, helmets, Harleys, LEO's, Iraq, gun control, trailering, or anything else. However, anyone wishing to post here needs to remember that the person on the other end should be treated with respect and civility, just as you would wish to be treated.

:tab Loving others in the absence of reciprocation is a tough thing to do, yet that is what is expected of every believer. Just as God loves those that are undeserving (as in all of us, believer or not), we too should seek to love everyone, even when it is not easy and when they are being obnoxious or hurtful. Responding in kind is not being loving ;-)

Thanks.

Thank you for all your hard work...I am one who appreciates it very much so and agree with what you have posted here.

I have been a member of another motorcycle forum board "no names" where the mods let the board be used for people to air their personal issue's likes, dislikes and attack each other for those personal issues and differences. What started out to be funny to some in the beginning (because the gossip and rumors weren't about them or they weren't the ones being attacked on a public forum board) is no longer so funny and has left the new forum board to new comers and some veterans who managed to not be dragged into it all and some that were still post but most of the veterans linger to see what is going on if anything and what is going to happen next. I personally don't think it will every be what it once was on that board or out on the street. What a shame and what a loss to all involved. They too once started off to be a close knit group but are no longer. They have a bunch of little groups that have broken off. You are always going to have those that enjoy stirring the pot, throwing gasoline on a fire, those that run between groups repeating what is said from one group to the next because focks they enjoy the conflicts. Some of them may try to appear that they are or try to still be friendly to each other but behind each others back the back bitting, gossip and rumors are unbelievable. I pray for them and myself everyday and some think I am a fool because I do still love and care very much for them all no matter how they may all feel about me or my husband. I personally just don't care to be apart of it any longer, my husband and I have removed ourselves from it all. I hang out here now and this is my first post.

Again thank you for all your hard work in keeping it civil, the language restrictions and not allowing vulgar pics. I to am happy to be a Christian and if you did change your URL to twtexchristians.com, I would fallow.

I'll keep you, the other mods and your site in my prayers.

:welcome: to the forum, hondagirl.

You need to introduce yourself under "introductions" and tell us more about your location and 2-wheeled interests.

interesting topic for a first post! ;-)

Great post. This is the only site that I am active in while I lurk in others for info. I appreciate the high standards of this site and I will do what I can to keep it that way.

I'll put it up on my prayer list. Kudos to you and moderators because despite the growth, site still is a civil place unlike another site I will not mention.

We all hold strong beliefs regarding certain subjects and you can't change that but members should always express their belief w/o being derragatory or resorting to name calling - that usually means you've lost the argument.

Sometimes people do get their feelings hurt thru no one else's fault but their own and then sometimes, you just get a moron on the internet. :doh:

:tab Thanks for the words of support. And just to be clear, I have no problem with Fotomoto and DutchInterceptor stating their opinions. Although I am not totally sure what Fotomoto meant by, "I've always thought that this was your true purpose for this site." True Purpose? All I did was ask that those that pray would include TWT in their prayers and for specific things, none of which was to convert non-Christian users :-P

I can understand banning things like the 'F' word, but words like 'H-E-Double-Hockey-Stcks' for example, have literary uses that are not vulgar. That said, I respect that it's your website, and so I gladly adapt to the rules -- even if I have to re-word a post here and there (wink, wink).

:tab If it were actually used properly, I would have no problem with it. However, I think in the 4-1/2 years this site has been running, that might have occurred literally maybe 2-3 times, while the non proper use has be quite prevalent. This is why I finally added it to the censor list.

From the Episcopalian Book of Common Prayer, Page 824:

"O God, you have bound us together in a common life. Help us,
in the midst of our struggles for justice and truth, to confront
one another without hatred or bitterness, and to work
together with mutual forbearance and respect
; through Jesus
Christ our Lord. Amen."
[emphasis added]

:tab THAT is what I am talking about! I don't care if you are an Athiest, Buddhist, or any other ist or ism... I expect folks to interact like mature adults, not bickering and spiteful children ;-)

Welcome to the site Hondagirl :wave:

Thanks.

Dagnabit! You had to go talking about loving your enemies. That is one of the harder aspects of my walk as a follower of Christ.

I stay on this board because of the atmosphere, the people and the civility. Unlike some boards, I don't have to worry if one of my young sons is reading over my shoulder.

I will add it, and you, to my prayers, Scott.

God bless,

Lee

Dagnabit! You had to go talking about loving your enemies. That is one of the harder aspects of my walk as a follower of Christ.

I stay on this board because of the atmosphere, the people and the civility. Unlike some boards, I don't have to worry if one of my young sons is reading over my shoulder.

I will add it, and you, to my prayers, Scott.

God bless,

Lee

That's funny about the kids watching over your shoulder. For me, my only worry on this site is that my wife may see me talking about wanting a different bike :rofl:

But yes, I like the atmosphere and sense of community here. I pray for almost every thread that shows up in this forum (sometimes I'm off for a few days and by the time I see the thread, it's been answered). I'm glad both this site and this forum are here for those that want and/or need it.

Thank you for all your hard work...I am one who appreciates it very much so and agree with what you have posted here.

I'll keep you, the other mods and your site in my prayers.

welcome hondagirl, please fill out your profile so we can learn a little about what you ride, where you are from and so forth. Also, see the introductions section of this forum and post there to tell us a little about yourself.
:sun:

Last edited:
Done Scott!
Thanks to you and your "staff" for keeping the atmosphere "breathable".

Okay, Scott. I'm going to pray for the pirates instead of ranting about them from this point forward.

:pray: :zen:

Okay, Scott. I'm going to pray for the pirates instead of ranting about them from this point forward.

:pray: :zen:

:lol2: Good for you :thumb:

It is not an easy thing to do to pray for those that annoy you ;-)

Back