• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

Clayton OK

Reaction score
Me and backspinn headed up to Clayton this weekend for a little dualsport exploring. Our friend DJ came along he had just picked up a brand spankin new EXC525 and was ready to give it a proper break in. We got to the campground late fri. and got an early start sat. The first order of buisness was a "de smog ation"

100_1080.jpg

100_1079.jpg

Then we headed south to check out some of the trails near the south end of Buzzard creek road including the nice little woods trail we found last time we rode up there, theres a lot of good stuff in that area.

100_1085.jpg

100_1082.jpg

100_1083.jpg

Hey that KTM dealer said he tightened all these bolts

100_1084.jpg

We headed up the silver suck trail to Pickens for gas and lunch at the "jot um down" for those of who havent made it up to Pickens yet heres a taste of what your missing

100_1091.jpg

100_1086.jpg

100_1088.jpg

100_1090.jpg

after lunch we went exploring some nice trails down by the river and eventually wound up at the devils backbone overlook, great scenery, wish I had a panoramic camera

100_1097.jpg

100_1096.jpg

100_1093-2.jpg

Heres what a new KTM looks like after a hard day at Clayton

100_1098.jpg

All together we did 150 great miles sat. What a day we where totally exhausted a hot meal and a few cold ones around the camp fire was a nice ending

100_1104.jpg

Sunday mornring DJ had to head back home early so me and Chris headed back down to the Devils backbone area to check out some of the trails we had passed up sat.We were just getting started on the good stuff when Chris came into a corner a little to hot. Ouch

100_1106.jpg

100_1108.jpg

He's OK just a couple of bruises and scratches but the front brake rotor on the 450 was bent beyond repair we wound up taking it off and limping back to the campground.

Lets all get together and head up there again soon.

Dang, sorry we missed you guys, my friend and I talked to a few of you on Sunday morning at the Shell Station. I was the guy dressed like a Dreamsicle, and my friend Ray (Rocket).

Todd

Man... I wonder of the folks at the Pickens store have any clue how popular they are :lol2: They do make good sammiches!! :eat:

My KLR has an affinity for trees like that KTM... :ponder: Bent the poo outta my handlebar but I was still able to finish the ride. Bark busters saved me a few broken fingers for sure!

That's it . . . I'm putting my KLR up for sale.

Did you guys do any comparisons between the 450 & 525? I'll most likely be looking for a WR, but I haven't knocked KTM out of my sights just yet.

I had a new 04 525 in 04 and it was great, lots of power and instant wheelies when you needed them. I sold it with only 7 hours on it. I currently have an 06 450EXC (purchased new in the crate). I love it tons of power but not too much where it becomes a handful really fast. Get the JD jet kit for it, and you will be set to go. And the FlatLand Racing Skid plate. The best place I have found for getting good deals on KTM parts is CycleZone in Topeka KS. Talk to Mike Kreuger great guy and good deals to be had there. here are some pics of my new KATOOM still in the box.

KTM2.jpg

KTM5.jpg

KTM6.jpg

Todd

Dang, sorry we missed you guys, my friend and I talked to a few of you on Sunday morning at the Shell Station. I was the guy dressed like a Dreamsicle, and my friend Ray (Rocket).

Todd

So did you guys find some good riding sunday? hopefully next ride we can all get on the same page and ride together up there.

Did you guys do any comparisons between the 450 & 525? I'll most likely be looking for a WR, but I haven't knocked KTM out of my sights just yet.

so your finally giving in :giveup: It was hard for me to let go of my KLR its a great bike. but the dirt bike is so much more fun in the tight stuff :rider:
Its hard to compare the two KTMs Chris has had the 450 for a while and has it jetting and suspension dialed in DJ just got his and still hasent tuned it yet ( it still felt great bone stock) They both weigh about 250 but feel much lighter

The concensus seems that if you're doing woods riding get the 450, if you're doing desert riding get the 525 (or 530 if you wait for the '08).

The concensus seems that if you're doing woods riding get the 450, if you're doing desert riding get the 525 (or 530 if you wait for the '08).

It is also recommended that you visit your dentist before purchasing a new KTM :rider: so your pearlie whites are good and pretty for the first ride.

Back