PDA

View Full Version : CD/MP3 player on sale at Frys

Bagwell
10-01-2004, 11:35 PM
Just in case anyone is interested Frys is having a sale on a Panasonic CD player that also played MP3s that are burned onto CD. It is on sale for $39, and has a remote. Just a thought for a cheap music player for your bike. It works very well in a tank bag, no skipping at all. I was going to go for an MP3 player or a nice IPOD deal, but heck I figured a $39 player was worth trying.
Frys is north of DT Houston and is located at West Road and I45.

cyclehappy
11-24-2004, 04:45 PM
I bought this a month ago for a trip from Houston to Big Bend and it worked Great. I listened to music through my Chatterbox all the way.
What made this great was that you could put over 100 songs on a CD and it played all of them. In addition the remote control worked well as I could manipulate it while wearing gloves.

Music is great on thiose long boring stretches to get where you can ride!

Texas T
11-24-2004, 09:36 PM
Music is great on thiose long boring stretches to get where you can ride!

XM!!!!

Tourmeister
11-25-2004, 01:24 AM
Am I the only one that likes the solitude and escape from the constant deluge of sounds from our modern society :scratch

Adios,

Steve strom
11-25-2004, 01:42 AM
Scott,
No.
Steve

Bagwell
11-25-2004, 02:39 AM
I do enjoy the sound of the wind thru my earplugs sometimes. But on longer trips the wind noise gets old. I like both. :)

Dirtrideroader
11-26-2004, 12:12 AM
I have never listened to music out on the open road. I have taken it, but never really need it. I enjoy listening to myself think.

When I went to Seattle last summer, I never took the headphones out of the tankbag.

Now, if I had a set of those custom molded earphones, I might just have to listen to music.

Dragwn
11-27-2004, 12:06 PM
The money would be better spent on gas, food, and lodging than a $130 set of headphones :mrgreen: But then again...ya don't have to have music blasting in them right?

cyclehappy
11-27-2004, 01:57 PM
As in most things riding, there are many schools of thought.
Like most, one of the things I enjoy about riding is the escape from the rest of the world for a few hours or however long I can manage.

However, when on a long ride, the Interstates or I just begin to bore myself with my thoughts, I like the option of having music to listen to.

In addition, when riding with others, it is nice to be able to communicate when necessary. That is why I have a bike to bike system.

Just because I have these options, doesn't mean I have to use them all the time, or for that matter anytime. It is just nice to have the option.

Tourmeister
11-27-2004, 11:29 PM
Just because I have these options, doesn't mean I have to use them all the time, or for that matter anytime. It is just nice to have the option.

Yeah I understand... that's how I feel about 150 RWHP :-P :lol:

Adios,

MP Simmons
11-28-2004, 09:59 AM
Am I the only one....
NO...
This debate is going on on a marathon canoe racing board I subscribe to - folks are always wanting GPS, cell phones, mp's and other such ilk that have mass, are subject to failure, and do not enhance performance.
While these goodies are are OK for bikes, I prefer simple.
Maybe when I buy that trike GoldWing...

Tourmeister
11-28-2004, 07:31 PM
Well, like Cyclehappy said, the gadgets are nice to have so long as you are not dependent on them ;-) I use a GPS all the time because it makes exploring all the little unpaved backroads much eaiser. However, if it were to go out on me, I always make sure I can get back without it!

Adios,

Tx Rider
11-29-2004, 11:55 AM
I rode a lot of years with no music, I didn't know what I was missing.

I don't always listen to it, but there are times when a great sound track for my ride is just the right thing to make my smile a little wider. :)

And for knocking out 500 mile days it does seem to make them a lot shorter for some reason.

But the looks I get cruising down the road singing my lungs out are priceless.

Hood Ornament
12-06-2004, 10:57 PM
I love listening to music on longer rides. It seems to keep me more tuned to what's going on around me more so then just droning along. The best part about is I can sing along at the top of my lungs and not hear myself. :dude: Also, I like to listen to weather and traffic reports. Very useful in planning my riding.

Chirpy
12-06-2004, 11:40 PM
I get BORED on highway miles...enough so that I'll probably be trying out the iPod under the helmet soon...

Texas T
12-08-2004, 11:26 PM
FYI... the new XM MYFI is just now hitting the stores. $350, but it also comes with a car kit and a home kit. For those not familiar with this model, it is a portable unit that will store 5 hours worth of XM programing (can run off a battery) that you can listen to later if you're in a place with no reception. I just ordered one this evening as a xmas gift for the wife.

http://www.xmradio.com/myfi/index.jsp

Bill J. from Austin
12-10-2004, 03:58 PM
Am I the only one that likes the solitude and escape from the constant deluge of sounds from our modern society :scratch
No, you're not. That's one of the reasons I love motorcycling. When I'm riding, particularly on long-distance runs, I want complete silence, except for the sweet sound of the wind and the bike's exhaust. Gives me time to think.

That's why I've never understood stereos on motorcycles. I like music well enough, but motorcycling is meditation to me. Whatever sanity I have (and, brother, that ain't much! :twisted: ) is because I get that "alone" time to sort stuff out.

Even in a cage, I'm more likely than not to leave the radio off for long drives. I'll sing, carry on conversations with myself, just ponder stuff for hours on end... As ol' Waylon said, I may be crazy, but it keeps me from goin' insane!