• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

Stainless Steel Brake Lines

GregH

Reaction score
In the never-ending quest to buy more stuff for the bike:
Are braided steel brake and clutch lines better than the stock rubber lines? Do they really improve performance/feel? Do they make enough of a difference to justify the expense?

Enquiring minds want to know! :ponder:

I think it really depends on two things.

1) How hard and often you brake. Street vs. Track
2) How old the rubber lines are.​
I changed out the lines on my 05 CBR and really only noticed when I was really really hard on the brakes. And even then it wasn't that big of a difference. But, my rubber brake lines were still in perfect shape. I think the older the rubber lines the more likely they are to expand during braking.

Skid

going to put stainless braided lines on my busa soon.. it stops like two blocks of wood on the rotors... everyone tells me i will see and feel a big difference. will let ya know

:thumb: for steel braided lines, primarily because of the heavy, and often, braking at the track.

Like Skid mentioned, you may or may not see a big difference on the street depending on the age and condition of your current stock lines.

There's always the added bling factor.;-)

Last edited:
I replaced my clutch line and immediately noticed a difference in how it felt and how much less I had to give the lever a full-on squeeze. I have the brake lines but haven't added them to the bike yet. I was told changing out the rear brake line would be a bad idea, since it would increase braking enough to probably cause some lock-ups when I least wanted it.

I noticed a huge difference on my Mustang, but then those lines were on the order of 36 years old :giveup:

I'll put them on my bikes when I have to replace lines

I replaced my clutch line and immediately noticed a difference in how it felt and how much less I had to give the lever a full-on squeeze. I have the brake lines but haven't added them to the bike yet. I was told changing out the rear brake line would be a bad idea, since it would increase braking enough to probably cause some lock-ups when I least wanted it.
They only lock up if your so inclined, it is like having to much horsepower! Only if you don't know what your doing is it a bad thing. get the brake line your going to be glad you did. They remain consistant across temprature changes as the rubber isn't getting heated and cooled which is as they teach us expansion and contracion versus volume and pressure.

They only lock up if your so inclined, it is like having to much horsepower! Only if you don't know what your doing is it a bad thing.

Well, I was told that because I ride offroad and use the rear brake solo out there, I'd be more inclined to lock up easily and that since I'm still a fairly new DS rider, I wouldn't be comfortable with it happening constantly.

I have a feeling I could get used to it, but so far I'm keeping the rear line as-is since I've gotten used to it being a little soft.

Very noticeable diiference in "feel" on every bike I've installed them on.

I read an article stating that this was important on older bikes due to cheaper materials, but on newer bikes there is little diffrence.

But, from what others have said, I belive they do make a diffrence.

I put braded stainless on my valkryie , it was like going from dragging your feet on the ground to full power assist . Money verywell spent . Every thing else I have came with stainless lines , one less thing I have to work on . SEYA

heres an example: stock 250, cant do stoppies.
250 with SS brake lines, does stoppies so good your gunna want to buy a gixxer tshirt and flip flops.

I avoid putting steel braids on the rear brakes, as well. I never brake heavy enough on the back brake for it too make much of a difference. It could only get me in trouble in an emergency, since 80-90% of my stopping power would be from the front.

The average rider will not notice a difference. I had them on my first B12 and didn't notice much of a difference. When I got my second B-12, I decided to just save the money for other mods. I think brake pads make a bigger difference than the lines for stopping power.

Back