• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

Jeff (son) again

Reaction score
First Name
Cindy
Last Name
Donnelly
Our son, Jeff (24 on July 22), is undergoing surgery Tuesday. Thank God it's only a tonsillectomy this time! However, since his heart valve was replaced two years ago, everything (and I mean everything) health related is a major ordeal.

The ENT stopped his coumadin tablets (blood thinner) two days ago. They have to get his blood "normal" so he won't bleed to death during the procedure. Jeff has to give himself an injection of coumadin twice a day in his stomache. Once surgery is complete, they'll put him back on his coumadin tablets. (Seems pills stay in your bloodstream for days, opposed to injections staying in your bloodstream for hours.)

The two worries we have are: he won't stop bleeding after surgery (which happened with his first heart procedure at age 15) and/or he'll develop a blood clot after surgery (if it reaches his heart, his fake valve will have to be replaced - MAJOR surgery, if it doesn't kill him).

Anyway, please just keep him in your thoughts and mention his name in your prayers. It will be much appreciated! :)

:zen: Will pray for him, I'm sure everything will go smooth this time... to make up for last time of course.

Thanks for letting us know Cindy. Please post up as soon as possible afterwards!

Praying that he gives the docs wisdom and skill, a successful operation and for the whole family--peace that surpasses all understanding.

Even Sarah is pulling for you guys ;-) She got real concerned when I mentioned Jeff's heart issues! Praying with her is a real treat because things really get boiled down to their essence so that she can grasp them. The irony is that many time it also helps me to grasp what is really important as I struggle to put things in terms she can comprehend.

Thanks, everyone. We're leaving for the hospital in about 10 minutes. Don't know what time the surgery is supposed to happen, but we have to be there by 7:30. Hoping that means it will be first thing this morning.

Will let you guys know as soon as I know something.

Thanks again, it really helps (me) when I know there are people out there like you all.

As one Ninja 250 rider to another (Jeff), I wish you well. I'm sorry I didn't know how long he's had problems. You're in my prayers!

Scott,
I saw the picture of little Sarah. She has really grown!!

Rob

Cindy, I am keeping him in my thoughts and wish that everything goes well and wish him a good outcome of the surgery.

*All fingers crossed here!*

Cindy.. praying for his successful surgery, and a speedy recovery..

The surgery went well - they removed his tonsils and adenoids (sp?). No problems bleeding so far.

He got to his room a little before noon. When the nurse asked him how he was feeling, we were pretty shocked by his answer: "My tongue hurts like he**!"

Either during the procedure or right after, he somehow managed to bite the back of his tongue - both sides, top and bottom - pretty hard. I'm not sure if it broke the skin or not, but there are pretty deep indentations from his teeth on the top and bottom of his tongue!! :eek2:

He asked for pain meds, then proceeded to tell us he's in a (inserting less harsh word here) "grumpy" mood. Can't say I blame him, I'd be in a bad mood, too.

They're going to start his coumadin again tomorrow so his blood with thin out again for his heart. Once they get everything under control, to the levels they want, and he's not bleeding nor clotting, he should be able to come home - maybe Friday.

We left him so he can get some rest and will probably go back up there later today. The nurse said we can call her first to make sure he even wants visitors today. If not, we'll spend time with him tomorrow.

Thanks everyone. Your prayers are working!! :mrgreen:

Either during the procedure or right after, he somehow managed to bite the back of his tongue - both sides, top and bottom - pretty hard. I'm not sure if it broke the skin or not, but there are pretty deep indentations from his teeth on the top and bottom of his tongue!!

Are you sure it was a bite?

IIRC, they actually clamp your tongue out of the way when they do the surgery. Mine hurt like the dickens when I woke up.

I was 15 when I had my tonsils out and I was less than "nice" when I woke up from the anesthesia. I took a swing at someone in the recovery room, put some orderly on his 4th point of contact.

Glad to hear all went well!

Yep, it's definitely his teeth imprint(s) on his tongue. :(

That's was the least of my worries - but pretty high on the list for him. ;-) :lol2:

Thanks for sharing the good report about Jeff. Hope he gets to feeling better & can go home as planned.

Good to hear that all went well, Cindy.

Sneak in there and put some fuzzy pink slippers on him while he's asleep. When he wakes up, he'll forget about the pain - even if only for a brief moment. :lol2:

Jeff's doing so well, he gets to come home tomorrow night/evening!!

WOO HOO!!!! :sun: :sun:

Glad to hear everything went well. Now get him some ice cream! Good stuff. :)

Back