PDA

View Full Version : The new Concours 14/New Kawa Concours - (merged)

Morgan Buchanan
05-07-2007, 12:01 PM
Anyone else got serious need for this bike? I rode a ZX11 for 10 years, and I have a Honda VTX right now, but I'm kind of using the new Concourse 14 ABS as my motivational tool business wise. Anyone else impressed by what they've seen so far? Anyone actually ride one yet?

pub610
05-07-2007, 12:11 PM
Morgan,
I'm not sure the C14 is the business model I'd be using. Kawasaki can't nail down a delivery date, won't confirm pricing, can't confirm basic specs. I was a Connie rider and I read everything I could get my hands on about the 14. My dealer couldn't even place an order for me.
BUT, the C14 sharpened my appetite for new technolgy including ABS -- so I traded my Concours for an '05 FJR 1300. Yep, it worked as a motovational tool for me, too.
I think that's not the way Momma Kaw wanted it to work.
BTW, in the earliest of the motorcycle shows last year, some folks got to sit on the C14. by the time of the Fort Worth show (October?) they weren't even allowing that.
Rumor has it there is now one production model in the U.S. but only the riders from the scooter mags are getting to ride it. Us ordinary mortals are still a ways off ... we just don't know how long the wait will be.
I haven't checked COG.org today -- maybe there's some updated information available.

Morgan Buchanan
05-07-2007, 12:18 PM
Oh, the time line issue isn't any big deal to me. I won't be able to afford it reasonably speaking for a number of months. I've owned all 4 major Japanese manufacturer bikes, and I won't ride a Suzuki or a Yamaha again myself unless they do something to impress me. Just personal preference. I'd "settle" for a ZX14 before I'd get the FJR, and I think the FJR is a terrific bike... for someone who likes Yamahas.

What I mean by motivation is that I'm using my desire for one to motivate me. :)

klb1122
05-07-2007, 08:47 PM
I want one... and I want one BAD!!! Looking for more comfort for the wife than the ZZR. On paper, that beauty belongs in my garage. We'll see when I get to touch one in person. I don't even know how much it costs yet either! :doh: :mrgreen:

Morgan Buchanan
05-07-2007, 08:58 PM
THat's kinda what I was thinking...saw it in person at the bike show, but wow looking at the little extras, I want one more and more. A Kawi dealer I know "thought" it should run about a grand more than the ZX-14.

klb1122
05-07-2007, 09:03 PM
THat's kinda what I was thinking...saw it in person at the bike show, but wow looking at the little extras, I want one more and more. A Kawi dealer I know "thought" it should run about a grand more than the ZX-14.

That would be quite shocking to me. I would love it but to think that all those extra do-dads would only run you a grand just doesn't seem logical... but I sure hope it's the case. :mrgreen:

Morgan Buchanan
05-07-2007, 09:07 PM
Could be the case. Don't know... doodads yes. But detuned motor technology... who the heck knows? And frankly I don't think it matter what you do... it's all about what they think they can do for sales at various price points.

wrightsc
05-07-2007, 09:14 PM
Morgan,
BTW, in the earliest of the motorcycle shows last year, some folks got to sit on the C14. by the time of the Fort Worth show (October?) they weren't even allowing that.

Yeah, bummer that they wouldn't even let you sit on one. At the Houston show the only one they had was on a barricaded revolving (and well-guarded) display. When I casually asked the Kawasaki rep if I could take it out for a quick spin, I got "the look". However, I did manage to touch it when the guy wasn't looking. :roll:

Steve

JadeRider
05-07-2007, 09:49 PM
I have been working up my appetite for a ZX-14, even though I do want ABS and lectric shield. However,
- 5 times higher insurance cost
- $1000 for a pair of corbin hard bags
did the talking for me.

:doh:

Morgan Buchanan
05-08-2007, 10:12 AM
I thought the corbin hard bags for the zx were more like $1800.... And yea, the insurance is CRAJY!

zerMATT
05-08-2007, 03:41 PM
I love my '14 for sport-touring with Cortech soft bags (sport bags). Insurance isn't a big deal at about $550/year through State Farm for full coverage, $250 or $500 deductible (can't remember exactly) on collision, and $0 deductible comprehensive (theft, weather, fire, vandalism, etc). It's actually cheaper than my ZZ-R1200 was... I think State Farm is trying to get more motorcycle policies.

lastsix
05-08-2007, 09:47 PM
I've always liked the Kawasakis...this one has really peaked my interest. I've been looking for a good sport touring bike and this one might be the perfect fit for me. Wish the dealers would start getting them in...:drool:

terrebandit
05-08-2007, 09:47 PM
I saw one at the FW show and was impressed. However, I don't think I'd buy one until all the bugs get worked out. AND there will be some bugs...

As of this moment, the FJR and ST are better bikes IMO. The test of time (e.g. sales and reliability) will be the determining factor, on which bike is actually better (brand preferences aside). It will take the Connie time to get there and it may never get there unless they put it at the same basic price point as the other bikes in its class.

igo-wfo
05-08-2007, 09:58 PM
Morgan,
I'm not sure the C14 is the business model I'd be using. Kawasaki can't nail down a delivery date, won't confirm pricing, can't confirm basic specs. I was a Connie rider and I read everything I could get my hands on about the 14. My dealer couldn't even place an order for me.

Sounds like they have been taking marketing lessons from the Italians..:eek2: :lol2:

nativ_txn
05-09-2007, 12:56 AM
The latest info from Kawasaki's website is summer '07. Still no info on price, and other significant specs. COG hasn't any new info either. I ride an '02 and can't wait to ride tha C-14.

Maintainer
05-09-2007, 05:09 AM
A couple of things here. I am a member of the new Connie forum. I thought I wanted one bad until I saw it and how Kawi is handling (or not) it's release. My main interest was the engine/performance aspect of the bike it's really the only thing that distinguishes it from any other Sport tourer on the market in my opinion. My bro inlaw and another friend have deposits down on one. In my perception the look of the bike is similar to the FJR but not as refined. First year production glitches and bugs are a negative thing for this bike also. For these reasons and a couple of minor styling uglies from the rear view I noticed I went with an FJR. If and when it gets released and I turn out to be wrong, I'll just go get one.

ceddec
05-09-2007, 06:36 AM
A couple of other discussions going on;
http://www.fjrforum.com/forum//index.php?showtopic=20231&hl=
http://www.fjrforum.com/forum//index.php?showtopic=13762&hl=
It will interesting to see when she comes out.:popcorn:

Texas T
05-09-2007, 10:01 PM
http://www.kawasaki.com/Home/ConcoursMediaPlay.htm

edit: the image didn't come out the way it should have.

budzrex
05-10-2007, 07:36 AM
Want it yes I did, I have had a deposit down since last October. I am
growing tired of the delays and no firm price yet. On the upside I
have a guy that will pay me a profit for my deposit as he wants the
first one in Arkansas and the dealer I have a deposit with should
be the first to get one as he is the largest volume Kaw shop in
the state.

UNTMatt
05-10-2007, 09:30 AM
Interesting machine that might rattle the ST market.

These are my thoughts...

1) Reliability-The engine has yet to prove itself. There are BMW's and Honda's with well into six digit figures that run great. No one knows where reliability stands with the new C14. What about the suspension, frame, and final drive? The fancy electronics?

2) Ridability-Is its engine viby? That would suck for long distance sport touring. The ST13 is smooth as silk leaving no numb parts after hundreds of miles of riding. How are the ergo's and windscreen? If they suck are they easily changable? How many aftermarket parts will be available at the time of release if they need to be changed?

3) Maintenance-How easy is it to work on? How difficult is the valve maintenance and how often? The way the engine sits, that looks like it could be a very 'entertaining' chore. Final drive fluid changes?

It is easy to get caught up in the marketing hype of the new C14. If you have the disposable income to drop on a brand new machine and want to play that game, go for it. That's not something I chose to deal with.

On a side note, the new C14 is the second ugliest bike to be released from Kawasaki...right behind the ZX14. :puke:

klb1122
05-10-2007, 11:35 AM
On a side note, the new C14 is the second ugliest bike to be released from Kawasaki...right behind the ZX14. :puke:

To each his own I guess. I think the looks of the ZX14 are ok, but the C14 looks stunning!!! :clap: ;-) :mrgreen:

Morgan Buchanan
06-08-2007, 08:39 AM
I'd disagree entirely on the "ugly" comment...that's why it's nice to have choices, I guess. I'm not likely to be getting a pre-release model at any rate. I'm sure I won't have one until 2008 so I'm not too worried.

Keith
06-08-2007, 09:04 AM
Want it yes I did, I have had a deposit down since last October. I am
growing tired of the delays and no firm price yet. On the upside I
have a guy that will pay me a profit for my deposit as he wants the
first one in Arkansas and the dealer I have a deposit with should
be the first to get one as he is the largest volume Kaw shop in
the state.
I'm still first in line at Wild West. I've had my deposit down since Sept 29th. However, I'm pretty sure I'm gonna pass on the bike. The Hayabusa was bought because of the delays in getting the C14 to market and it has turned out to be a fantastic "day tourer" - which is as far as I want to ride anyway. As such, have your friend give me a buzz - I'm sure we can work something out... ;)

OUTRACE
06-08-2007, 09:32 AM
Yeah, I wanted one. Yeah, I ordered one. Yeah I cancelled my order.

The bike is ugly. Well, maybe not UGLY, but I've never heard anyone say it was beautiful.

The bike is undeliverable. Kawasaki is proving that every day.

The bike will be unrefined if it ever gets delivered. Simple fact of first year bikes.

And so, I bought an '06 FJR yesterday. I bet Kawasaki sold more FJRs than anyone else.

Morgan Buchanan
06-08-2007, 09:53 AM
Listen now so you can't say it again... "It's beautiful."

Would I deny that Kawasaki has had some trouble getting this bike out? No. But they never intended it to be an 07 model, they have simply yet to produce a PRE RELEASE 08. If it comes out by the end of July, it's still "PRE RELEASE 08."

Unrefined? The prototypes I saw at the bike shows looked awesome. The FRJ's are nice btw.

OUTRACE
06-08-2007, 10:27 AM
I mean "unrefined" in the way that products tend to be developed by their customers. Certainly the FJR has been refined by their experiences in the market since 03. Layout is different, heat control is different, details are different. So whether you want to use "developed" or "refined", the Concours will be neither. And given Kawasaki's treatment of the original Connie, this new C2 still won't be refined until the C3 comes out in 2041. You only have to look at the rest of their product line to know I'm probably right.

The simple truth is that Kawasaki LIED. They can claim it's supposed to be an "early 08", but Kawi originally put it out as a "late '07" and released info to the press as if it was imminently deliverable (in the spring). Basically, they put their toe in the water and killed orders for other comparable motorcycles. From a marketing standpoint, this makes no sense because Kawi didn't have a product with which to fill the void.

Virtually nobody has ridden one. Nobody has dynoed one. There are STILL no specs or pricing and it's June. There's something HORRIBLY WRONG with this picture. Marketing departments put product in the hands of magazine editors so articles can be published about the same time the product is being delivered. Where are the C2 articles? Where are the C2's? Where's the info?

If I were a dealer, I'd be pretty unhappy. I can only imagine what the VP of Marketing is gonna have to listen to at the next dealer convention.

Simple question: How many should a dealer order, considering Kawi's treatment of this bike? How many should Kawi produce? Can you say "shot yourself in the foot"?

Don't get me wrong. When it's finally delivered, the bike will be the king of the hill for a couple of years, but there won't be one in my garage. In fact, there won't be one in lots of garages.

Morgan Buchanan
06-08-2007, 12:41 PM
I'm born-again to the bike thing, and so I hadn't heard (or read in extensive searches including the concours message board) that the C14 was ever supposed to be an 07 model, so that's info I didn't have. I don't know if they LIED or if they were simply terribly mistaken and had to change dates with egg on their face about spring. It IS still spring...for a little while longer. Everything I'm reading over on the concours site indicates people REALLY think they'll have info this month....but that could simply be hope against hope.

Since I can't afford one TODAY, I don't really give a darn. And actually, I think I'd rather have an 09 and let someone else guinea pig the 08. I rode a 1991 ZX11 for 10 years, the best bike I ever had.

SparkyBlue
06-08-2007, 02:00 PM
I wanted one for several years as a replacement for my aging ZX-11, but they couldn't deliver and I moved on.

OUTRACE
06-08-2007, 04:43 PM
Ya know, maybe in 2010 the thing will still be a viable package.... and I'll be 55 and the Wing will still be a behemoth........

Maintainer
06-11-2007, 06:48 AM
Yeah, I wanted one. Yeah, I ordered one. Yeah I cancelled my order.

The bike is ugly. Well, maybe not UGLY, but I've never heard anyone say it was beautiful.

The bike is undeliverable. Kawasaki is proving that every day.

The bike will be unrefined if it ever gets delivered. Simple fact of first year bikes.

And so, I bought an '06 FJR yesterday. I bet Kawasaki sold more FJRs than anyone else.

I had a riding buddy (Joe)thats still waiting on one, my bro inlaw (Keith)as was formerly posted still has a deposit down on one, and I wanted one too strictly for the projected performance of that detuned but still awesome ZX-14 engine. I got tired of waiting and bought the more refined, better looking (objective)'07 FJR also. I wouldn't say the new Connie's ugly altogether but it does have a few uglies around back on it's hindside and the exhaust area also.

NorthOfDallas
06-11-2007, 07:24 AM
I mean "unrefined" in the way that products tend to be developed by their customers. Certainly the FJR has been refined by their experiences in the market since 03. Layout is different, heat control is different, details are different. So whether you want to use "developed" or "refined", the Concours will be neither. And given Kawasaki's treatment of the original Connie, this new C2 still won't be refined until the C3 comes out in 2041. You only have to look at the rest of their product line to know I'm probably right.

The simple truth is that Kawasaki LIED. They can claim it's supposed to be an "early 08", but Kawi originally put it out as a "late '07" and released info to the press as if it was imminently deliverable (in the spring). Basically, they put their toe in the water and killed orders for other comparable motorcycles. From a marketing standpoint, this makes no sense because Kawi didn't have a product with which to fill the void.

Virtually nobody has ridden one. Nobody has dynoed one. There are STILL no specs or pricing and it's June. There's something HORRIBLY WRONG with this picture. Marketing departments put product in the hands of magazine editors so articles can be published about the same time the product is being delivered. Where are the C2 articles? Where are the C2's? Where's the info?

If I were a dealer, I'd be pretty unhappy. I can only imagine what the VP of Marketing is gonna have to listen to at the next dealer convention.

Simple question: How many should a dealer order, considering Kawi's treatment of this bike? How many should Kawi produce? Can you say "shot yourself in the foot"?

Don't get me wrong. When it's finally delivered, the bike will be the king of the hill for a couple of years, but there won't be one in my garage. In fact, there won't be one in lots of garages.

I disagree that kaw is mishandling this...They're masterfully driving up demand. They may have been ready to release info, but realized that the furvor is doing more of their sales than any marketing lit they could produce.

OTOH, they could be spending this time, because of the mass hype, refining the bike and ensuring a trouble free launch. They might be learning lessons from BMW cars to put out a product that really nails it on first click. or all we know, there could be reskinned versions of this bike worldwide on proving grounds tweaking it to perfection and ironing out thr wrinkles.

we can get all huffy we want on message boards, but all it may be doing is feeding the machine. who knows? I am a die hard Kaw guy and have been eyeballing the FJR with a seriousness; having nothing to do with the new Connie (I don't buy new bikes).

pacman
06-11-2007, 08:45 AM
In this era of the huge-selling VStrom, I don't see how anyone can call the C14 ugly. :shrug:

kurt
06-11-2007, 08:51 AM
In this era of the huge-selling VStrom, I don't see how anyone can call the C14 ugly. :shrug:

Who am I to judge?

<<<<<<< :mrgreen:

tjbrandt50
06-11-2007, 09:54 AM
I disagree that kaw is mishandling this...They're masterfully driving up demand.

Not so sure about that. I see the number of people buying other alternatives rather than waiting any longer continuing to climb. If these delays are intentional, I think they may have mis-judged the demand peak. In fact, the South Central Region Area Director for the Concours Owners' Group recently cancelled his Concours 14 order and purchased a K1200GT instead.

It's great for a company to share its future plans with potential customers, but to provide availability data and then changing it (several times) does little to inspire confidence. The sparcity of information (seat height, weight, ..., PRICING) makes it hard on those waiting to make a decision. On the other hand, some of these guys have kept the same bike since '86, so what's the hurry?;-)

pacman
06-11-2007, 11:33 AM
Who am I to judge?

<<<<<<< :mrgreen:

So true. Your bike is like a train wreck. I'm horrified, but I can't look away. :lol2: :lol2:

Loyd
06-11-2007, 12:49 PM
... and I'll be 55 and the Wing will still be a behemoth........

Pfft, I have a 59 year old dad that still races... Coot!:-P

OUTRACE
06-11-2007, 09:30 PM
Pfft, I have a 59 year old dad that still races... Coot!:-P

Yeah, that's me. Just an old geezer ever since last month.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v448/outrace/160287058__A8C3593.jpg

pacman
06-11-2007, 09:57 PM
Nice! More please!

SparkyBlue
06-11-2007, 10:11 PM
Yeah, that's me. Just an old geezer ever since last month.

Pretty cool pic Andre.:thumb: It kind of looks like your rear brake locked sliding downhill :mrgreen:

Morgan Buchanan
06-12-2007, 07:20 AM
Yeah, I've read and talked to a lot of folks who've said "screw kawasaki, I'm getting the BMW or Yamaha." I can't imagine that is good...for anyone other than those who came to the line late.

Eulogite
06-12-2007, 07:27 AM
Yeah, bummer that they wouldn't even let you sit on one. At the Houston show the only one they had was on a barricaded revolving (and well-guarded) display. When I casually asked the Kawasaki rep if I could take it out for a quick spin, I got "the look". However, I did manage to touch it when the guy wasn't looking. :roll:

Steve

Reminds me of this pic of the Knight who says "yeeha". :lol2:

http://www.twtex.com/photopost/data/520/medium/P1010055_2_.JPG

Morgan Buchanan
06-13-2007, 07:45 AM
Prices released, the bike shouldn't be far behind. $12,899 - $13,799. I assume that's without and with ABS respectively.

twistedpinion
06-13-2007, 10:03 AM
Cost is about the same as the FJR, torque and HP numbers are fairly close, but it has a smaller gas tank. Personally, I like the styling of the Conc better, but that's an objective opinion.

I was hoping for more. We'll have to see what ride reports say, but it's feeling like a "me too" bike.

I still want a black one.

stupolvo
06-13-2007, 12:23 PM
Prices released, the bike shouldn't be far behind. $12,899 - $13,799. I assume that's without and with ABS respectively.

I wanted to wait for one, but went with a barely used '03 BMW K12GT...
Lower-tech, but still gets the job done and I saved some cash.

Just back from an Arkansas trip (first trip on the GT) and the K12 handled all the twisty sections and all the miles up there and back just fine. Fast and Smooth.

All this being said, I can't wait to see the new Kaw in the flesh...

Morgan Buchanan
06-13-2007, 07:38 PM
I doubt I'll be running off to get one of the pre-release beasts this summer. I may even wait for the 09 model. But the gas tank... man, I go 100 miles on my VTX and gas up, and I like it. Why I'd want to go farther is beyond me. :)

busarider1
06-15-2007, 09:20 AM
I'll be in the market for a sport-tourer in 09. Maybe Kawi will have it out by then....maybe Suzuki will have a BUSA ST then....maybe Suzuki will produce that beautiful 6-cylinder they've been teasing me with...sigh.

mjacks
06-15-2007, 11:15 AM
I wanted to wait for one, but went with a barely used '03 BMW K12GT...
Lower-tech, but still gets the job done and I saved some cash.

Just back from an Arkansas trip (first trip on the GT) and the K12 handled all the twisty sections and all the miles up there and back just fine. Fast and Smooth.

All this being said, I can't wait to see the new Kaw in the flesh...

It isn't often you here of a modern BMW being lower tech than another bike. ;-)

Nice choice with the GT. :thumb:

Morgan Buchanan
06-16-2007, 10:20 AM
I'll be in the market for a sport-tourer in 09. Maybe Kawi will have it out by then....maybe Suzuki will have a BUSA ST then....maybe Suzuki will produce that beautiful 6-cylinder they've been teasing me with...sigh.

Kawi will have the 14 out and making deliveries within the next few week. I may be in the market for an early 09 myself...hope the work out the kinks. LOL

sherob
06-22-2007, 07:46 AM
It's here... well, in NS that is :trust:

Nice pics!

http://www.sackvillemotorsports.com/

Updated specs

http://www.kawasaki.co.uk/1400gtr/default.asp?Sub=6549116

pacman
06-22-2007, 08:18 AM

:zen:
:rider:
:thumb:
:dude:
:chug:

Loyd
06-22-2007, 08:33 AM
Very nice Andre! Can you show me how to do that without sliding out in the grass?:giveup:

Keith
06-22-2007, 09:06 AM
I thought I was gonna be in love with this bike, but the delays in getting it to the states (from what was promised when I put down a deposit in Sept 06) have really left me cold. My order is for one in Diablo Black with ABS - and now it appears they are not even going to offer the Black this year. Sad...

sherob
06-22-2007, 09:24 AM
I thought I was gonna be in love with this bike, but the delays in getting it to the states (from what was promised when I put down a deposit in Sept 06) have really left me cold. My order is for one in Diablo Black with ABS - and now it appears they are not even going to offer the Black this year. Sad...

It's available... might have to wait a bit.

http://www.kawasaki.co.uk/1400gtr/default.asp?Sub=6545CCE#

Keith
06-22-2007, 12:03 PM
All references to Diablo Black have been removed from the US site (unless they put them back again). Here again, another reason why I'm extremely disappointed in Kawasaki - constantly changing specifications, dates of release, and final product. Not to mention the warranty period has been morped several times (36 to 12 to 24 and then back to 36 or 12 depending on which site you are on). No thanks Kawi. I'll pass.

sherob
06-22-2007, 12:06 PM
It's the cart before the horse syndrome :doh: I think they were so pumped about getting it out, then reality hit... now they are paying the price. I'm still curious what the insurance on those are going to run :trust:

Morgan Buchanan
06-22-2007, 12:35 PM
I got an insurance quote...it was quite reasonable. Not much more than my VTX.

Keith
06-22-2007, 07:09 PM
Just got back from the local dealer (Wild West Kawasaki). They have 10 on order as of today (first day they were allowed to order). They have 5 with ABS and 5 without on order. There is no Diablo Black. Only color Kawasaki is offering this year is Neutron Silver. My deposit is still down, so I have first right of refusal. But I'm not feeling the love any more. Really wanted Diablo Black... :argh:

pacman
06-22-2007, 10:34 PM
I like the black way better too. So much so that I'd seriously consider riding directly from the dealer to the paint shop.

Who comes up with these bone-headed decisions?

Keith
06-23-2007, 12:08 AM
Not sure, but they had a used one of these there...

http://www.diseno-art.com/images/kawasaki_ZRX1200.jpg

Now that would look great in the garage...

pacman
06-23-2007, 02:15 PM
There's nothing quite like a liter+ Kawasaki, especially a retro superbike. I bleed green, but I could never bring myself to buy a green ZRX. The color just never sat right with me. :shrug:

desertrider
06-24-2007, 08:47 PM
The Z-REX sould be green and only green. A tribute to the ELR it is supposed to resemble. I saw a red one and I thought GPZ. Since I loved my GPZ I can only say Z-REX in green or red......

pacman
06-24-2007, 08:56 PM
The Z-REX sould be green and only green. A tribute to the ELR it is supposed to resemble. I saw a red one and I thought GPZ. Since I loved my GPZ I can only say Z-REX in green or red......

http://i69.photobucket.com/albums/i77/wstecker/wayne_1455q.jpg

I like mine in red.

:thumb:

Sorry for the threadjack! :doh:

derf
06-24-2007, 09:10 PM
The Concours is going for $12,889.00. Wild West was allowed to place their order last week and it looks like approximately 8 weeks for delivery. I am going to get me one next year.

X1Glider
06-25-2007, 11:24 AM
What a porker...619 lbs. It's sibling is only 474 lbs. But I'm sure 110 lb/ft and 152 HP will move it down the road quite easily. I just expected slightly better suspenders and no more than 550 lbs. Perhaps there's a way to fit those hard case to the ZX-14.

wrightsc
06-25-2007, 11:48 AM
And here's the first ride report....:rider:

http://www.bikeland.org/story.php?storyID=32453

FJRMike
06-25-2007, 12:24 PM
the bike comes alive at 7,000 rpms?

At 7,000 rpms my FJR has been screaming for about 3,000 rpms.

That exhaust can is the worst thing I've seen since an AMC Matador.

pacman
06-25-2007, 07:37 PM
R1200RT 571 wet
ST1300 631 dry
FJR1300 582 dry
Concours 14 618 dry

Doesn't seem unreasonable to me. :shrug: The RT and FJR are lighter, but you'll never feel the weight, so big deal.

As for "coming alive at 7k", I don't think that'll be a problem either:
ST1300 - 85 ft/lbs @ 6000
RT1200RT - 84.8 ft/lbs @ 6000 RPM
FJR1300 - 99.1 ft/lbs @ 7000 RPM
Concours 14 - 102 lb/ft @ 6200 rpm

For reasons I don't get, people really want to poopoo this bike. Other than the delays in getting to production, I don't see why there are so many haters. :scratch:

chipset
06-25-2007, 08:05 PM
R1200RT 571 wet
FJR1300 - 99.1 ft/lbs @ 13700 RPM
Concours 14 - 102 lb/ft @ 6200 rpm

For reasons I don't get, people really want to poopoo this bike. Other than the delays in getting to production, I don't see why there are so many haters. :scratch:

Umm. My FJR redlines at 9000 RPMs. I am not sure I would run her upto 13700. Are you sure those numbers are accurate?

I think you mean 7000 RPMs.

pacman
06-25-2007, 08:57 PM
Umm. My FJR redlines at 9000 RPMs. I am not sure I would run her upto 13700. Are you sure those numbers are accurate?

I think you mean 7000 RPMs.

Er, oops. Yup, it's really 7000. Hurt shoulder+pain medicine=screwed up posts.....see any other typos?

P-Ratt
06-25-2007, 10:03 PM
How does it "come alive at 7K" if it was making 102 ft/lbs 800 rpm earlier? It has to have a boatload of oomph below 6k. Come on, it's based on the ZX14. Unless they did something horribly wrong, it's got plenty of power.

This is a bike that I want to do well. Kawi hasn't earned any kudos (from me anyway) with their Customer Service, but hopefully this product will deliver on the aspirations of the masses.

pdef
06-25-2007, 10:54 PM
Your story, and two others almost exactly the same, are the reason I won't put my money down on a kawasaki. I am debating getting a bagger in the next year or so and really like the new connie. I just wish Honda made it.

Morgan Buchanan
06-26-2007, 07:12 AM
Guys guys guys.... You're taking quotes from an amateur-hour web-site far too seriously. These guys took some criticism for their writing style on a Concours board and they threw a hissy fit. Highly unprofessional lot. Wait for the journalists to talk.

Hotboot
06-26-2007, 08:07 AM
[QUOTE=pacman1;263070]R1200RT 571 wet
ST1300 631 dry
FJR1300 582 dry
Concours 14 618 dry

Doesn't seem unreasonable to me. :shrug: The RT and FJR are lighter, but you'll never feel the weight, so big deal.

You can sure feel the weight with 7 gallons of fuel in the twisties, on any of these bikes.

Morgan Buchanan
06-26-2007, 08:22 PM
Good thing the concours has a smaller tank then... LOL

pacman
06-26-2007, 08:31 PM
If the tank was any smaller everybody would be complaining about the lack of range.

One thing I would like to see gone from all new Kawasakis are those ridiculous Pontiac-strakes down the sides. Ugh.

SparkyBlue
06-26-2007, 08:52 PM
After seeing the specs on the new 14, I'm glad I didn't wait. For my taste, it's too big and funky looking. It will tough for Kaw. to leapfrog the BMW GT, RT, or FJR which are all established, refined, and lighter weight. It has a great motor which no doubt adds to the heft. To each their own.

klb1122
06-26-2007, 09:17 PM
The more I think about it, the happier I am that everyone seems to have their problems with the new C14.... too ugly, too heavy, small tank, ugly can, first year of production, blah, blah, blah, this, that, and everything under the sun. GREAT!!! I hope no one gets one. It will just give me that much more leverage if I'm ever able to add one to the stable. :rider:

NX2000
06-26-2007, 09:21 PM
My only problem is I can't afford one. :doh:

Morgan Buchanan
06-27-2007, 07:30 AM
If the tank was any smaller everybody would be complaining about the lack of range.

Oh, rest assured, they're *****ing about the range too. :)

The weight issue...it's not the heaviest in the class, the Honda is.

pacman
06-27-2007, 09:16 AM
Oh, rest assured, they're *****ing about the range too. :)

The weight issue...it's not the heaviest in the class, the Honda is.

Exactamundo.

chipset
06-27-2007, 09:55 AM
Ya, but you can discount the Honda... noone likes it anyway.. :rofl:

tjbrandt50
06-29-2007, 08:58 PM
Sat on it this afternoon (the topic of this post, of course). While I was checking it out, the salesman called the guy who had been telling them for months that he wanted it. Now that it's in, the guy wants to get a backrest, and negotiate the price -- the dealer is offering it for list price, plus tax, title, license, document prep, and assembly. So, the salesman goes on to the other guy who had left them a number saying he wanted it as soon as it came in, and got no answer. At that point the owner told the salesman to go ahead and sell to anyone who wanted it. My wife was there with me, said how much she liked the new one, and suggested I go ahead and take it. I mentioned that I needed to add a power plug to my 1000, and the salesman pointed out how much easier it would be to take the 1400, which already has a power outlet on it.

It sure felt great, looked pretty nice, too. Very wide in front, but all that headlight would make me feel a lot better after dark. They demonstrated the remote security device, which seems kind of neat. The bags go on and off very cleanly, the two-tone seat felt pretty firm, which would be a nice change for a stock seat. A little higher than my 1000, but that's a good thing. I'd even checked Progressive and found it wouldn't add a huge amount to my insurance, as opposed to the whopping increase a ZX-14 would cause. I was all prepared.

But NOOOOOO, even though it would easily fit on my "Good Times" credit card, I will not give in to temptation. Cash or nothing for me, so I guess I'll have nothing for now. Anyway, I want to wait for the year they come out with a red one. So off I rode on my perfectly good, freshly service, 20 year old technology.

sherob
06-29-2007, 09:18 PM
You, Tom, are an amazing man! :clap: The fact your wife gave you the OK and you STILL held out is amazing :lol2:

pacman
06-29-2007, 09:25 PM
Soooooooo close! :doh:

Morgan Buchanan
06-30-2007, 08:14 AM
Yeah, I checked insurance on them too and was incredibly surprised. I'm going to want one sooner or later, just probably want to pay my VTX off first, or be able to drop cash down as you stated. Thanks for the input! Can't wait to actually touch one and see how if fits.

pub610
06-30-2007, 09:45 AM
Morgan, are you following the threads over at Concours.org? The guys over there have started getting their bikes and they're posting reviews. Sounds very good. Best review, IMHO, is from an FJR rider (I used to ride concours, now pilot an FJR) who says the bikes are very similar except for the sixth gear/over-drive on the C14.
I'd planned to get the C14 but stumbled across a really good deal on the FJR so I've decided to sit out the first model year of the C14 and let them get the bugs out while I fly my FJR.

Morgan Buchanan
06-30-2007, 04:40 PM
I've been reading threads on a number of concours sites, but concourse.org seems to be the best, yeah. it's been interesting. I'm not about to run out and buy one right now, I'm very enthused tho. Here's to hoping the 09 models come in diablo black abs. :)

Texas T
06-30-2007, 04:57 PM
I've been reading threads on a number of concours sites, but concourse.org seems to be the best, yeah. it's been interesting. I'm not about to run out and buy one right now, I'm very enthused tho. Here's to hoping the 09 models come in diablo black abs. :)
The first step in buying a Connie is learning how to spell it. www.concours.org
:mrgreen:

derf
06-30-2007, 07:26 PM
Wild West, Houston - has the Concours 14. It is beautiful!!!!!!

MGN54
06-30-2007, 10:53 PM
Here's a first impression ride report I found over on advrider.com.

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=244039

terrebandit
06-30-2007, 11:31 PM
I'd planned to get the C14 but stumbled across a really good deal on the FJR so I've decided to sit out the first model year of the C14 and let them get the bugs out while I fly my FJR.

:mrgreen:

derf
06-30-2007, 11:59 PM
Thanks for the read.

Morgan Buchanan
07-01-2007, 01:30 AM
I typo it once in the thread and I "have to learn to spell it"? I'm not offended, mind you... but it'd be funny if i did it in the frost pist :D or something, or repeated it over and over.

Texas T
07-01-2007, 07:52 AM
I typo it once in the thread and I "have to learn to spell it"? I'm not offended, mind you... but it'd be funny if i did it in the frost pist :D or something, or repeated it over and over.

Your First Post:
Anyone else got serious need for this bike? I rode a ZX11 for 10 years, and I have a Honda VTX right now, but I'm kind of using the new Concourse 14 ABS as my motivational tool business wise. Anyone else impressed by what they've seen so far? Anyone actually ride one yet?
:trust:

P-Ratt
07-01-2007, 10:29 AM
I keep seeing people talk about fuel economy, but they keep referencing the bike's mpg display. I find these devices rather optimistic. Why isn't anyone doing it the old fashioned way? (Tripmeter and # of gal put into the tank)

sherob
07-01-2007, 10:31 AM
http://www.motorcycledaily.com/30june07_2008kawasaki_concours14.htm

leo7by24
07-01-2007, 12:18 PM
Excepting the 12RT, most of the bikes in this super sport-tourer class produce massive quantities of acceleration and speed in a few seconds. I can't relate to the need for more, unless you want more chances to test your million dollar liability coverage.

OTOH, good brakes are important. From the specs posted so far, the C14 falls way short in this category. No linked brakes to help the non-expert braker maintain control when suddenly meeting up with that pack of dogs, deer, bicyclist, rock, or SUV. No, I don't mean ABS.

Even Yamaha recognized the need for linked brakes on the 2nd gen FJR1300. But their inexpensive one-way rear pedal to front linking design is marketing smoke and mirrors and way inferior to the ST1300. I'd give BMW some credit in this department, but their latest gen bikes have too many issues with powered assist dropping out, warped rotors, premature brake pad wear warnings, etc.

IMO, the dual linked brakes with ABS combination is essential for most riders. Please take this into consideration when shopping.

pacman
07-01-2007, 01:07 PM
It falls "way short" in the braking category because it lacks linked brakes? A little casual searching found no studies to back up that claim. When motorcycle consumers are shown conclusively that linked brakes are superior to conventional brakes, they will demand that the market provide them on more bikes. Until then, linked brakes are nothing more than a interesting experiment.

From the NHTSA:
http://www.nhtsa.dot.gov/people/injury/pedbimot/motorcycle/00-NHT-212-motorcycle/motorcycle45-46.html
Although incidental and first-hand experience indicates either of these systems [ABS and linked brakes] can be effective in countering the problems faced by a motor-cyclist in a panic stop, we know of no research that shows how they perform in the field compared with similar bikes fitted with standard brake systems. The added costs (particularly for ABS) and reluctance to accept them by some experienced motorcyclists have limited the adoption of these potentially effective systems.

aggie81
07-01-2007, 08:02 PM
Honda has decided that, for the ST1300 rider, there is no situation which merits the use of only the rear brake. There was enough concern about this feature that a "de-link" aftermarket kit came out for the bike. Two-way linked brakes on a motorcycle have about as much appeal to me as an automatic transmission. If someone has to be at the top of the decision-making chain during a ride, I'd rather it be me than an engineering committee on the other side of the world. The ST1300 is surely a nice bike, just a bit too automated for me.

Morgan Buchanan
07-01-2007, 08:04 PM
Least I got it right in the subject of the thread and a majority of the time... It's an easy typo, one must admit.

leo7by24
07-01-2007, 10:10 PM
Honda has decided that, for the ST1300 rider, there is no situation which merits the use of only the rear brake. There was enough concern about this feature that a "de-link" aftermarket kit came out for the bike. Two-way linked brakes on a motorcycle have about as much appeal to me as an automatic transmission. If someone has to be at the top of the decision-making chain during a ride, I'd rather it be me than an engineering committee on the other side of the world. The ST1300 is surely a nice bike, just a bit too automated for me.

There are a number of elements involved in the Honda implementation, including a fork mounted secondary master cylinder, proportioning control valve, delay valve, different diameter pistons on different calipers, and varying the number of pistons controlled by the pedal or handlebar lever.

In particular, there is a delay valve between the rear pedal and front brakes which requires a minimum force on the rear pedal before the front calipers are even engaged by the rear pedal. Even after they are engaged, the different diameter caliper pistons ensure a proportioned braking response. At best, application of the rear pedal engages only two of the six pistons on the front calipers and thus limits the braking force.

Of course all of this sophisticated safety technology, designed to help the rider maintain control, adds weight and cost to the bike.

Practically speaking, it is easy to apply only (mostly) rear brake using only the pedal when feathering, trail braking, maneuvering in the parking lot or whatever.

Do you have a link for the ST1300 de-link kit? It sure is not referenced much on the ST forums.

Texas T
07-02-2007, 09:03 PM
Least I got it right in the subject of the thread and a majority of the time... It's an easy typo, one must admit.

Yep. Happens all the time, even on the COG site. ;-)

jhansen
07-02-2007, 09:07 PM
Cleaned up my email this evening and found one from the folks at the AMA. Here's their review of the new Connie. Happy reading.:rider:

http://www.amadirectlink.com/news/2007/Concours/

Tango1300
07-04-2007, 02:14 PM
I am eagerly awaiting the delivery of my New Connie14! Our 2008 Z1000 came in yesterday so I am hoping the C14 will only be another week or so!

Hotboot
07-04-2007, 02:36 PM
We'll need a thorough ride report Tango, and to all who hate the wait, I had to endure 7 months in '04 for my FJR and it was worth it.

sherob
07-09-2007, 11:30 PM
A video ride of the C14... in French... not for the faint of heart if you can't stand seeing a brand new bike trashed while being tested :rofl:

http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x2gngq_turbeauf-lemission-impossible

busarider1
07-10-2007, 02:13 AM
A good friend of mine got his C14 last week. He's loving it. He's coming off a ZX-12 and Hayabusa. Not a bad looking bike but I would have to get it in black!

Morgan Buchanan
07-10-2007, 07:39 AM
I finally saw one in person, but didn't sit it or ride it. It was already owned. I think it probably does look odd without the bags with that canister. Hrms. Maybe it'll be better in black.

Tango1300
07-13-2007, 12:26 PM
I have ONE Concours Non-ABS model IN STOCK!! OMG!! This bike is GORGEOUS!!

Call me for an appointment to see this beauty before she is GONE!!!

pacman
07-13-2007, 12:27 PM

I'll drive to Tomball to see it, but only if you let me ride it. :trust:

CrashOverride
10-04-2007, 12:43 PM

we just got a ABS C14 in today at Kawasaki of Carrollton. We also have a non-abs on the floor. just a heads up.

sherob
10-04-2007, 01:15 PM
Any word on any changes on the 08 other than color or a new shield? :trust:

CrashOverride
10-04-2007, 01:47 PM
Any word on any changes on the 08 other than color or a new shield? :trust:

the new models out are '08 C14's. It was an early release '08 like the Versys and new KLR650 (which we also have).

sherob
10-04-2007, 02:23 PM
Oh... thanks. Any word on the 09's :rofl:

CrashOverride
10-04-2007, 03:33 PM
Oh... thanks. Any word on the 09's :rofl:

nope. kinda early for that.

CrashOverride
10-06-2007, 02:25 PM
Kawasaki now has a taller shield as well as a hard top case available for the C14. just a heads up.

UNTMatt
11-01-2007, 01:49 PM
In black the C14 would be a decent looking bike but in the lousy bluish/silverish color they shipped this year, blah! At least it could have been a deep blue or nice silver.

I wouldn't touch a first year production bike but that's just me. It would be at least two years before I'd take it into consideration. I was not impressed with the tank capacity on it, either. I would like to know, how difficult is the valve adjustments and what is the schedule for the adjustments?

As for linked brakes, I've not had an issue with them on the ST at all and now prefer them over non-linked brakes.

pacman
11-02-2007, 08:31 AM
Kawasaki now has a taller shield as well as a hard top case available for the C14. just a heads up.

Hey Crash, is there a link to these somewhere on the Kawasaki interwebs site? I can't find the darn things anywhere.

DaveC
11-02-2007, 09:31 AM
Honda has decided that, for the ST1300 rider, there is no situation which merits the use of only the rear brake. .

They haven't watched "Ride Like a Pro". For low speed manuvearablity and slow speed turns you use the rear break, clutch and gas in unison. This has improved my ability to U turn an 800 lb bike on a one lane road and in gravel.

DaveC
11-02-2007, 09:37 AM
A video ride of the C14... in French... not for the faint of heart if you can't stand seeing a brand new bike trashed while being tested :rofl:

http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x2gngq_turbeauf-lemission-impossible

Deleted!:thpt:

08Concours14
11-22-2007, 10:28 AM
My new Connie came in the 1st of July. It made me sell my BMW R1150 RT. It is one **** of a bike. I drag my knee on it, cruise around, ride two up with my wife........whatever. It does it all and does it well. I now have 4500 miles on it and am on my 3rd set of tires. Don't let that scare you about tire wear. I am sure they would last most people 5,000 miles + per set. I ride it like a sport bike in the twisties. It has quite a range on fuel, rides great (one or two up), handles great, looks great, fantastic brakes and awesome power. The three things I would change are colors, remove the goofy storage box on the tank and a larger windscreen. I really like the silver and would have picked it anyway but it would be nice if every other C14 owner had a different color than me.

Someone asked in an above post, about valve adjustment. It isn't even recommended to check until 15,000 miles.

Great bike! I rode the ST, FJR and C14 vigorously before making my decision. It was an easy one. One of the big deciding factors for me was the fact that the ST and FJR were dragging hard parts in corners that I could go 20+ mph faster on the C14. 4500 twisty miles later, it has still never drug any parts and I wear the tires out from shoulder to shoulder (no chicken strips front or rear tire).

skup
07-13-2008, 10:39 PM
I have had my Concourse since Last September and have ridden to California fom Houston. I rode from San Francisco to San Diego two weeks ago and all over the Sierra Mountains. Best bike I have owned and I have three others. If I had to keep only one bike this is it! Currently have 9,000 miles and will ride it back from California on Labor Day. :rider: