• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

Skull Skins Helmet Covers

Reaction score
Well I decide to try somethign that is basically totally estetical and nothing else;

Skull Skins is a series of products (http://www.skullskins.net/) to cover your helmet and shield

After looking at all the renderings of the images (not actuall photos of items but more a computer generated simili of what it should looks like) and well decided to buy a skin and the respective lense cover as well...

Impressions;

Quality of the product/material is good, stiching of the material together as well looks solid and the size (considering its a universal fit) is about right.

I test this on my Icon Alliance Helmet and I have a Size Large helmet (unknown if this really matter on the outside size of the helmet but non the less trying to be thourough.)

The instructions are easy to follow and really fool proof.

Now my beef is the color dye lot disparity is the one thing that annoyed me, for 29.85 I would expect the color of the fabric is not different from one panel to the other. (see pictures).

The windsield cover (to complete the "look" is a material (vinyl) that is printed then perforated , which does not impead vison one bit. but brings one concern later noted in personal comments below. The vinyl is nice an thick, and I think would resist tear from a rock in the shield.

The end result is a fair product, the lense cover is a stick on (thank god I had a spare clear lense to test it on) and of course since all windshields of helmets are not created equal, the fitment is pretty good considering its a universal fit items as well)

Personal Comments;

- I dont really regret buying it, and I did not use the refund my money option even though I could of done it (they have a 14 days refund policy)

- I have to admit it does look ALOT like the graphic pictures they have on their web site and I ,deep inside like it . (so I am satisfied.)

- I have concerns with the winshield, the perforation of the material quickly tells me when a bug hit my shield it may be a pain to clean it, I will report later on on this comment after I take it for a ride.

- overall, I give it 7/10 product quality, not because it isnt, but because a blind person could figure out the dye lot are different by 5% in shades.
(maybe I just have works in the garment industry too long and no one else would notice.) also the print doesnt line up at all around the stitching, I would not complain much about it if it was 15$/unit but at 29$/unit I would expect SOME cutting expertize on the part of this company.

pictures below;

S5000842.JPG

S5000843.JPG

S5000844.JPG

S5000845.JPG

S5000846.JPG

S5000848.JPG

S5000850.JPG

S5000853.JPG

S5000854.JPG

That is pretty cool! is that a custom design that you did? How easy is it to see through the sticker on the shield?

Hmm, I'm guessing the perforated material for your windshield is on the outside? If so, I'm concerned, because if you are using it when it rains, it will trap the water in between the material thus making it hard to see (and yeah probably the bugs too). This is based on the vinyl like material we have on my wife's Dodge Ram back window. It's mesh looking a lot like yours, and when it rains, you can't really see out of the back of the truck, which doesn't matter unless you need to back up-then you have to rely on the side mirrors which have a limited view.

Otherwise looks pretty cool, let us know if it actually does seem to keep the helmet cooler. I guess this would be a great way to "refinish" a scuffed up helmet?

annab said:
That is pretty cool! is that a custom design that you did? How easy is it to see through the sticker on the shield?

actually it is the "wire blue" design they offer (they have tons of inetresting and weird designs. seeing through is very good, well report when I ride in the evening with it.

newskilz said:
Hmm, I'm guessing the perforated material for your windshield is on the outside? If so, I'm concerned, because if you are using it when it rains, it will trap the water in between the material thus making it hard to see (and yeah probably the bugs too).

yes it is layiong on the outside of the sheild, why I have reservations, we will find out once I get into rain with it... and I'll let you know if it does make it cooler. (I will be keeping another shield handy until I can verify the "visibility" concern.

yes I would say the helmet part of this 2 part design would be a great "cover up" for a 'used' helmet or one you like alot but it being in the wrong color for example.

looks cool.
re: their website: somebody's way too enamored with their Flash skills.

yeah I noticed that as well.. anyway here are somepictures I took to show "visibility" outwards from riders eye point of view... keep in mond the camera focuses on multi objects where the eye focuses outside the shield, its is visible when you ride but it is really up to a personal vision (much like looking outside a window with a screen . (second pictures is MUCH more like what I see when I ride with it...)

S5000867.JPG

S5000866.JPG

Yeah, I agree.. some experience with garment and the like, for something that cost well under a buck in materials, you'd think for 30 or so they'd dye lot AND pattern match, but hey, I'm greedy. But they look pretty cool. If I find out they help keep the helmet cooler, I'd give one a try.

well he is a ride report about the skullskins cover/shield sticker.

So I wanted to report about this on heat reflection from this helmet, and it is a split decision...

1. the sheild does make the heat on face ALOT less (about the same as my mirror shield does.)

2. my helmet design had me open traps and the material doesn't seem to block the wind to get through openings and cool my head out.

3. the shield thing has a velcro start part that is located inside the helmet see picture below, and after a 4 hrs ride I was starting to have a head ache from the pressure of the additional material , I will re-ajust the material and try again to see if this is a "real" problem.

the looks I got are priceless, a cop ran me down :eek2: sped next to me looked at me square in the face , as we both ride at 40mph in wylie on I-78 shook his head, I waved at him and he dropped back off to his radar position... ;-)

stopped for a quick blended ice cream root beer float at sonic, and as I put my helmet on there was a couple of parents with kids, and they spotted me with my helmet on (was leaving) and in unison , they all started screaming and shouting.. Its SPIDERMAM....:rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

I waved and left , leaving a bunch of kids waving back and screaming bye's at me.... awwww...kids are so much fun sometimes. :rofl: :rofl:

S5000844.JPG

I just want a mohawk and then I'll be happy. I'm sure it would fit the strom just fine!!!!

Back