• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

Joe Rocket Sonic Boots

pacman

Forum Supporter
Reaction score
I can't think of a better test of a pair of waterproof boots than the winter and spring of 2007.

I bought my Joe Rocket Sonic boots in December of 2006 after I grew weary of water leaking down the tops and soaking my feet and freezing my toes off in my Frank Thomas "waterproof" boots. The Sonic is the best boot purchase I have ever made.

823_16234.jpg

823_16233.jpg

I was initially attracted to these boots because of the height. Being a little long in the leg department (I'm 6'5"), I've always had trouble with my pant cuffs riding up above the tops of my boots. New Enough measured these boots at 13.5" to the top. That sounded perfect to me, as the tallest I had seen in a non-racing style boot was about 10-11".

That extra 1.5" was perfect. I have about 1.5" of overlap wearing my First Gear HT overpants. There is plenty of room to tuck your pants in if you want.

I ride everyday, and I wear these boots everyday. They have proved to be absolutely waterproof, even in the heaviest rain or deep water crossings. Yesterday I rode through about 100 yards of axle deep water and my feet stayed completely dry.

I commuted in mid 20* weather and my feet stayed nice and warm. Not a bit of wind crept through the boot, which was was perfect for winter. We'll see how it feels this summer. I may be going back to my ventilated boot during the hottest periods of summer, but I'll miss the waterproofness (new word for the day) during those surprise summer showers.

The buckles are a nice touch also, They offer a little adjustability across the top of the foot/ankle. Perfect for my slightly narrower than average foot.

I would prefer a full length zipper under the velcro side closure, but so far the velcro has been durable and sturdy. It has never peeled or pulled open.

I wear a 13 in New Balance (my preferred athletic shoe) and 13 in this boot fits me perfectly.

I wouldn't plan on walking around all day in these boots. About 2 to 3 hours is about the limit for comfort. More than that and my dogs are barkin'.

The Sonic has shin, medial and lateral ankle and toe armor. The shifter area is reinforced. There is a steel shank in the sole. The sole is moderately grippy on oily or wet surfaces. A little more grip would me a welcome improvement, but it's not terrible.

Overall I can't recommend the boot highly enough. It's a great all weather boot.

I love reviews like this. Makes shopping easier when I do "brick and mortar" shopping. I do have a question, your FG HT overpants, are these the "air" model or the regular one? I am looking hard at overpants and am stuck between the air model and normal model from FG. How do they do in the heat? Not that the heat so far has been an issue this summer. By the way, hope you guys are starting to dry out up in the metro mess.

I've had these boots for 3 years now, definitely H2O proof. My only complaint is that one of them started to separate from the sole last year. A little JB Weld fixed it right up though. I probably have 50K plus miles on them now. I paid $125 for them back then and have been worth every penny.

I love reviews like this. Makes shopping easier when I do "brick and mortar" shopping. I do have a question, your FG HT overpants, are these the "air" model or the regular one? I am looking hard at overpants and am stuck between the air model and normal model from FG. How do they do in the heat? Not that the heat so far has been an issue this summer. By the way, hope you guys are starting to dry out up in the metro mess.

My overpants are the standard non-air model. I'm looking for a good deal on the mesh pants right now. The standard HT's are too hot for the Texas summer. If you can swing it, I'd get the mesh pants now, and the standard pants this fall.

I've had these boots for 3 years now, definitely H2O proof. My only complaint is that one of them started to separate from the sole last year. A little JB Weld fixed it right up though. I probably have 50K plus miles on them now. I paid $125 for them back then and have been worth every penny.

I paid exactly the same. That was the online price and my local Cycle Gear matched it. They did not, however, have them in stock.

Almost 10k miles and so far no separation. Knock on wood. ;)

Wayne, Those are nice looking boots. I like the cut and the design.

Does Elzi know about these? She needs something to keep her tootsies dry and I know her "waterproof" boots are letting her down.

As a back up pair of water proof boots I picked up a pair at AJ Foyt for $79. :eek2:

They're called Nitro. Cindy picked up a pair because they have and extra set of velcro in the back for greater adjustment. She really loved them and the price was unbeatable. So I ordered myself a pair and they have done an excellent job and definitely water proof. However, I would consider them more of a fall, winter, spring boot. The liner is very cushie but get a bit warm on 95 degree plus days.

Back