• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

ST3 vs R1200C, yes, It sounds silly!

Reaction score
First Name
Jim
Last Name
Richardson
This is the only forum I feel comfortable posting this on, without being shot for trying to compare the two bikes. I have a chance to buy one or the other and really a bit undecided as to wich one. I am aware many people are opposed to the styling of the beemer, but I love it. I also love the styling of the ST3. Except for 6 months of owning a 2002 gixxer 750, all my experience is on my XR650R that has been DS'd. It is and always will be my favorit bike and favorite to ride in the nasty! But now, I really want a "street" bike. I am hoping that there are some people who have owned one or the other and can provide any positive or negative comments on either. I want a bike that I can commute on, can pull a 8-10hr day on, is reliable, and fun. I always enjoy having things that are a little different than mainstream, hence the r1200c. Price on both bikes is very good and is not a factor in my decision. Thank you for your help.

Re: ST3 vs R1200, yes, It sounds silly!

Two different riding styles there.....

Think you should decide which one will meet your riding expectations. Plan on an aftermarket seat for the Duc if you plan to ride 8+ hours per day.

Personaly, I would have a hard time not buying the Duc. The ST3 is just a cool bike IMHO anyway....

Good luck, can you ride both before you buy ????

I have ridden the Duc and will be ridding the BMW tuesday. That may make up my mind. My ridding style? I really am a bit nervous getting back on another sport bike. I don't always trust myself. I can see enjoying both and don't ever intend on pushing the limits of the Duc. And I really want to be comfortable.

I'd be all over the Duc. Despite being a BMW, the R1200C is still pure cruiser.

I really am a bit nervous getting back on another sport bike.

The R1200C is so not a sport bike by any stretch of the imagination. You're comparing a cruiser with the R12C, and a sport-tourer with the ST3. I really enjoy the boxer motor in the R1200, so if you'd be more comfortable with the cruiser styling (it will do the commuting, comfort, etc). On the other hand, the ST3 is a fantastic ride as well, and would be more similar to the seating position of your current ride.

I think you're on the right track ... ride both, then decide which one works better for you.

between those two, for sure the Duc

I really enjoy the boxer motor in the R1200

But remember the R1200C motor is actually the 1150 oilhead motor, not the new 1200 hexhead generation. Both are excellent motors, but I thought I'd clarify.

What about service of one vs. the other. I have read the Duc has to have valve job every 6k and a new timing belt every 12k. Is that expensive or is it something I could do in my garage in a few hours. Has anyone here owned the r1200c? So far it is sounding like the Duc.....hmmmm, can't wait to ride the bmw tommorow.

The BMW has dead-simple maintenance. It requires about the same intervals, 6,000 on the valves, 36,000 on the belt, yearly on the brakes etc, but it easy to do yourself. The Ducs are significantly more complex for the average wrench. BMW wins easily on ease of maintenance.

I've never ridden a DUC or a beamer or a DUC beamer if that is what a DUC is, or does that refer to a Ducati? I have ridden and owned standards and cruisers and sport tourers. My decision was made on both my likes and needs. I like the sport tourer and need something that my wife would be comfortable on when we take long trips. The ST1300 was right for my needs and wants. I do love the adjustable windshield, I added the topbox for my wife. It's a little heavy fully loaded but looses the weight once your rollin. It all comes down to personal choice. Good Luck!

you should also test ride a multistrada, thats a pretty fun bike

you should also test ride a multistrada, thats a pretty fun bike

The multistrada has come up a few time in my quest. All the reviews praise the multistrada for its power and handling. They are just out of my budget, but I do like them.

The multistrada has come up a few time in my quest. All the reviews praise the multistrada for its power and handling. They are just out of my budget, but I do like them.

i didn't realize they were more expensive than the st3

I'll toss in a recommendation for the new Suzuki Bandit 1250.
The low-end torque really grabs you and it's very smooth with no front-end buzz. Quick acceleration at all RPMs, excellent in the twisties, decent 44+ mpg.
Oh, and the price makes it a bargain.
The seat, however, will test you if you're riding for 10 hours. I'm waiting for Sargeant and Corbin to come out with their improved seats for the Bandit.

i didn't realize they were more expensive than the st3

I suppose I should mention these are both used bikes. The ST3 is a 2004 w/18,xxx on the odo, and the r12c is a 2002 with I think 11,xxx. The ST3 can be had for $1,500 less than the r12c. Both bikes are fully dressed with bags and the r12c has another 2k in accessories. So they both are great deals, I just can't afford a new bike or there would be a an HP2 in my future.:rider:

But remember the R1200C motor is actually the 1150 oilhead motor, not the new 1200 hexhead generation. Both are excellent motors, but I thought I'd clarify.

Good clarification ... I wasn't aware of that.

I guess you are home from the test drive. Did the R12C feel good?

My advice to GetBent was make it an emotional decison, if it was purely statical he would be buying a scooter.

And, the dealer really wants to get rid of the Duc, I think if he truly wanted that bike he would already have it.

Back