PDA

View Full Version : After Noon Delight

Goat Trail Green
07-18-2007, 04:51 PM
I believe it was decided in conversation on the way home that the new trail will be called After Noon Delight. (Photojojo ? )
Photojojo will hopefully post a few pics soon.
The plan was to go further explore trails in the area of the caves that Get Bent and I had ran before. Then mark and clear some low lying limbs in between gravel and timber roads. We made it through almost half of what we had intended. Marking,cutting and exploring trails in July can wear a couple guys out. My faithful companion Photojojo and I set out on the adventure. If you fit into the intermediate/expert level I think you are going to like this ! We ran some of the open logging roads,then mixed some nice single track with down hill in. After the single track we jumped back onto the logging roads. At this point things start getting thicker. This part of the road has down trees from years ago, along with new growth about 3-5 years old. (this means just over bark buster height and perfect to catch the shift and rear brake levers also) You never know what surprise lies below. :eek2: From there we headed back up a hill where I managed to stand my ATV on end and have it pirouette and land on it's side right next to me. WOW I am lucky. After I recovered we did another switch back only to come to the gate keeper. We have a nice hill only a few miles into the track. I would say it is not real tall just technical. There will be no way around it. Everyone goes up whether it is by yourself or with the help of others.(this hill will be a little tough till we get the composted leaves off it) We then climb straight to the road over rock ledges and trees. ;-) At this point it will open the opportunity for people to head back if this isn't what you want to be doing !
We then will have many options for me to lengthen or shorten the trail. I have a set course in my mind but we need to see how long it will take. The single track will be very rocky at times, but the road will have sections you could go as fast as you or your bikes wants to go. :rider: There will be mud holes and more rock ledges.
There is one section that is a trials play ground.(krabill) This area is really pretty. There are rocks the size of cars. This is also where I think I caused Photojojo to get stung by 2 bee's, then the karma made me have a flat tire 30 feet later. :zen:
We will let Chris give his opinions on it all.
I think I can sum it up it is like most of the dual sport stuff I like. Some of the single track you are going to wish you had a full on lightweight dirt bike. Then some of the gravel you will want your XR 650 R with desert gearing :rider:

Mike Green

thumper
07-18-2007, 09:59 PM
Ah..hem, I have a question Mr. GT. Is that intermediate/expert level in reference to crashing?:lol2:

Krabill
07-18-2007, 10:53 PM
Wish I could have been there helping, but alas . . . I was at work :giveup:

About that trials area . . . how far from vehicle access is it? Trials bikes have wee little bitty gas tanks, ya know.

And a question for Photojojo . . . is this new trail do-able on a KLR??

thumper
07-19-2007, 12:28 AM
is this new trail do-able on a KLR??

http://i6.tinypic.com/5x5hk00.jpg

Sure it is! By all means.

FirstMan
07-19-2007, 03:15 PM
Very cool.

Mike, you are now the center point of dual sporting, and just think, 16 months ago you sold your dirt bike and thought you would never look back. When was the last time you started your jeep?

Chris, when do you get the new bike? Or do you already have it?

Goat Trail Green
07-19-2007, 05:47 PM
Ah..hem, I have a question Mr. GT. Is that intermediate/expert level in reference to crashing?:lol2:

:zen:

Wish I could have been there helping, but alas . . . I was at work :giveup:

About that trials area . . . how far from vehicle access is it? Trials bikes have wee little bitty gas tanks, ya know.

Well the problem is the roads to the area. They really don't seem to be roads anymore. The creeks have decieded to run down the middle of Maxwell creek road. I could stand in a V in the middle of the road and you could drive a Jeep over top of me. It has washed out that much on each side. I think once they take the grader through there,if they take the grader through there it will be another story.

Mike Green

Very cool.

Mike, you are now the center point of dual sporting, and just think, 16 months ago you sold your dirt bike and thought you would never look back. When was the last time you started your jeep?

I think you meant bought 18 months ago correct ? I know I guess Thanks goes out to my Mom for getting me involved in the when I was 8 years old. I have been on and off of them like most these guys ever since. Then theres that OCD that kicks in with my hobbies :) :rofl:
The Jeep is actually being worked on. I am trying to fix the leaky gas tank,put knew bolts in the hub and I need a new heim sooner or later on the drag link. It is getting close to Wheelin season. I never used to wheel in the summer. It is way too hot for that in Clayton. Cutting trails is fine though. :doh:

Mike Green

thumper
07-19-2007, 11:20 PM
Photojojo will hopefully post a few pics soon.
Mike Green:popcorn:

McLeod
07-20-2007, 08:27 AM
:popcorn:

and GPS Files.

When is the next work day?

Goat Trail Green
07-20-2007, 10:56 AM
:popcorn:

Hopefully it will be coming soon. I think he only has a few. He said he ahs been real busy.....So we wait !

and GPS Files.

When is the next work day?

The GPS file won't do you any good at this time. We have to take a group up and run it before there is a complete track. This will also tell us how doable it is. When I say doable, a lot of this has a 4-6 inch covering of untouched compost that needs to be turned up a little. Unfortunatly I don't think Chris and I can find a time we are both off to go run it till December. I also think I will ride it on my KTM 450 and I think Chris wants something lighter than his BRP to run it.
I am also a little cautious at this time to send out the GPS file. We busted our backs making some of this stuff and it would be a bummer if I/we went back and people had made by-passes and changed the trail. I have cut a ton of 4x4 trails. It is sad when you come back to see something you purposly built in a trail to challange you only to have others taken it out because it is too hard. Once the trail is worked in good less of this happens. With that being said I/we can't decide if we want to go run it and see how it is with the small tree's or go back and clean them out. I know Chris doesn't want to go back and cut anything till it gets cooler and I should be smart and feel the same way..LOL
Jim and I rode through some of this stuff a month ago and it was fine. We went slow because you have no idea what is on the ground 2 feet in front of you. If the trees were not there we would probably be hitting this in 2nd or 3rd gear omaybe faster.... Hmmmmmmmmm

Mike Green

Photojojo
07-20-2007, 11:21 AM

Basically if the trials bike is in the back of a 4X4 truck with a moderatley experienced driver around it is very accessible. Otherwise no. The easiest thing would be to put the bike in a tariler pulled by a 4 wheeler.

There is a guy on ADVRider that raced a KLR in a national enduro so yeah sure it's do-able on a KLR, but your not gonna want to do it on a KLR. There were times we had problems with the four wheel drive 4 wheelers. I don't want to do it on the XR.

First you have the gate keeper. If you don't like or can't make this climb your not gonna be abe to do the rest of the trail. It's got a decent size ledge at the bottom, Big rocks going up that you either have to get around or go over, and two trees laying across the trail about 30 feet apart. You'll have to be on the gas all the way up. At the end of the day we were both pretty beat and decide it would be in our best interest to no go DOWN the trail. Down is usually easier than up.

After the gate keeper it's logging road that's much like the trail going out the back of the state park in sections. Once you get to the caves there is a good section of TIGHT single track with LARGE rocks you have to either get around or go over. Usually you don't have a choice you either have to go over, or you have to get around it.

I didn't take many pictures cause it was hot and I was tired. The one time I thought about taking pictures in a different spot I got attacked by a swarm of bees...ok maybe it was jus two, but it hurt.

http://chrisjennings.smugmug.com/photos/175062020-M.jpg

We are about 3/4 of the way up. You can see orange tape marking the trail.

http://chrisjennings.smugmug.com/photos/175062293-M.jpg

I'm at the bottom and Mike is about halfway up. The trail really starts to go up at teh 4 wheeler.

http://chrisjennings.smugmug.com/photos/175062485-M.jpg

This is where the trail starts to go up

http://chrisjennings.smugmug.com/photos/175063018-M.jpg

This is the start of the climb.

http://chrisjennings.smugmug.com/photos/175063309-M.jpg

The bottom. i don't have any pictures of the top, but is pretty open with a path going between two large embedded rocks, If you don't make it through you"ll probably need a new front wheel since you'll need to be moving at a prety decent clip just to make it there. Then it's open logging road.

http://chrisjennings.smugmug.com/photos/175062117-M.jpg

My lunch pretty much got pullverized, but my brownie was ok so it was all good.

Very cool.

NO I DO NOT HAVE IT YET, as for when I get it, NOT SOON ENOUGH!!!
:headbang:

thumper
07-20-2007, 12:22 PM
Looks like y'all got the quads pretty well discouraged and a vast majority of the 4x4s. I hope no one wrecks all your hard work.

Lemme know when or if you need some help.:sun:

FirstMan
07-20-2007, 02:23 PM
Chirs, off topic, but I think the WR is now in running order. I haven't had time to even start it since the last oil change, but the fork tube looks great. You are more than welcome to test ride it and possibly buy it if you sell yours. I do not think I want an XR, I like riding the slow stuff too much.

Photojojo
07-20-2007, 02:33 PM
Chirs, off topic, but I think the WR is now in running order. I haven't had time to even start it since the last oil change, but the fork tube looks great. You are more than welcome to test ride it and possibly buy it if you sell yours. I do not think I want an XR, I like riding the slow stuff too much.

I sent you an e-mail.

Goat Trail Green
07-20-2007, 05:17 PM

What are you thinking about ?

Please tell us ?? 525 ?

Mike Green

FirstMan
07-21-2007, 10:08 PM
I need to test drive one, but that is what I am thinking. Right now I am trying to convince Terra into a Honda 230X, and I will use the 200exc for now. When I find that good deal I will jump on a 525.

Goat Trail Green
07-22-2007, 07:04 AM
I need to test drive one, but that is what I am thinking. Right now I am trying to convince Terra into a Honda 230X, and I will use the 200exc for now. When I find that good deal I will jump on a 525.

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=250392

There are a ton of deals on the 525's it seems....

Mike Green

Goat Trail Green
07-22-2007, 12:47 PM
The poison ivy is starting to show up :eek2:

Bummer

No ticks or chiggers though

I guess 1 out of 3 isn't bad

Mike Green

Iceman Jack
07-22-2007, 12:53 PM
The poison ivy is starting to show up :eek2:

Bummer

No ticks or chiggers though

I guess 1 out of 3 isn't bad

Mike Green

I've got a wire brush you can borrow, and when are you going to start answering your cell phone?

Goat Trail Green
07-22-2007, 12:58 PM
I've got a wire brush you can borrow, and when are you going to start answering your cell phone?

No wire brush needed....

I have a little bit of a presciption cream I got a little while ago. It wipes it out. The problem is once it is gone I will be in trouble again.

When I am not sleeping LOL call me I'm not sleeping !

There's some guys going on a dual sport ride at 4pm from Lowery crossing. Look at the ride page. I wish I would have seen it yesteday. My bike is half apart. 4 pm wuld have been perfect

Mike Green

Tourmeister
07-23-2007, 08:42 AM
Mike, for poison ivy, Zanfel. Get it at Walgreens or CVS. It is a gritty cream so putting it on feels good. It neutralizes the poison ivy stuff so it won't spread. Beth has a bad habit of getting into poison ivy and reacts pretty bad to it. Several times she looked like a burn victim! :doh: This stuff ain't cheap, but I've seen it work!!

Goat Trail Green
07-23-2007, 08:55 AM
Mike, for poison ivy, Zanfel. Get it at Walgreens or CVS. It is a gritty cream so putting it on feels good. It neutralizes the poison ivy stuff so it won't spread. Beth has a bad habit of getting into poison ivy and reacts pretty bad to it. Several times she looked like a burn victim! :doh: This stuff ain't cheap, but I've seen it work!!

Thanks Scott !

Mike Green

FirstMan
07-23-2007, 02:55 PM
That is the stuff Terra uses too.

And, sorry to hear you found leaves of 3

MaxxTraxx
07-31-2007, 04:31 PM
when is the next ride out to AND? (AfterNoonDelight)

Hood Ornament
08-01-2007, 12:14 AM
SO, how much poison ivy is out there. I'm very allergic to that stuff. :eek2:

FirstMan
08-01-2007, 12:21 PM

Now that the trail is cut, just do not go off the trail ;-)

I am full of great answers!

In all honesty, the clayton area has it most everywhere. I usually see it all the time, but you can always go around it. And like I mentioned above, the major contact with the stuff has been taken care of by Mike and Chris.

Goat Trail Green
08-01-2007, 03:22 PM
when is the next ride out to AND? (AfterNoonDelight)

---- We are going to try a small ride soon to see how it is for everyone before we drag a bunch people out to it and tell Photojojo and I it is too easy :rider:

Clayton is full of poisen ivy. Like Adam said I think we got most of it...LOL I know there are sections we ran the trail through. By the time we run it a few times most of it will get pretty beat up. I would not want to take a spill in these area's but most of it is isolated.
For some reason I have a knack for getting poisen ivy along with chiggers,ticks and mosquito bites. Lenda blames me for the places I am going but I don't see it :lol2:

Mike Green

Hood Ornament
08-01-2007, 03:33 PM
Heh, I managed to get the worst reaction ever from it earlier this year. Actually had a couple vines growing up alongside my house. Figured since it was cold and the stuff looked pretty much dead I'd be OK yanking it off. Boy was I wrong. Ended up having to go get a steroid shot because I could barely see because my face had so much swelling! I've used most of the over the counter stuff over the years *** well as prescription stuff and it seems the Zanfel stuff works teh best.

Goat Trail Green
08-01-2007, 03:47 PM
Heh, I managed to get the worst reaction ever from it earlier this year. Actually had a couple vines growing up alongside my house. Figured since it was cold and the stuff looked pretty much dead I'd be OK yanking it off. Boy was I wrong. Ended up having to go get a steroid shot because I could barely see because my face had so much swelling! I've used most of the over the counter stuff over the years *** well as prescription stuff and it seems the Zanfel stuff works teh best.

I was told and I am not for sure if it is true or not. The stuff gets worse each time you get it.
Theres a guy at work who burned it then inhaled some of the smike by accident. He was in the hospital 1.5 months

Mike Green

FirstMan
08-01-2007, 04:22 PM
I was told and I am not for sure if it is true or not. The stuff gets worse each time you get it.
Theres a guy at work who burned it then inhaled some of the smike by accident. He was in the hospital 1.5 months

Mike Green

I have heard that too. I have heard of someone who wasn't allergic breath it in and now he is highly allergic.

I am sure my day will come, but so far that is the only thing I am no allergic to.:rofl:

Hood Ornament
08-01-2007, 04:22 PM

Mike Green

You're probably right. I think most allergies are this way. I had an allergic reaction to penicillin about 10 years ago. Basically, just broke out into an itchy rash for a few days. The doctor told me to get a medic alert bracelet or necklace. I asked him if it was really that necessary as it was only a rash after all. He told me that the reactions do get worse.

Greasemonkey
08-02-2007, 05:34 PM
Is afternoon delight a poison ivy thing or a trail????
Freind of mine would spray wd-40 or aqua-net all over himself to releive the itch.Not sure it works but he did have a shine to him.

I'm good to go Mike so put me back in the loop,like to check out the progress.
Didn't you say something about needing some guinea pigs!!!

Goat Trail Green
08-04-2007, 12:54 PM
Is afternoon delight a poison ivy thing or a trail????
Freind of mine would spray wd-40 or aqua-net all over himself to releive the itch.Not sure it works but he did have a shine to him.

I'm good to go Mike so put me back in the loop,like to check out the progress.
Didn't you say something about needing some guinea pigs!!!

Scott

I am glad to hear it !! Head north now !

Mike Green

Greasemonkey
08-05-2007, 03:09 PM
OOPS,had to cancel our mex trip so Rita and I went to turner falls.Thought I should've brought the bike,could of left her at the cabin and gone riding!!!

Hope she doesn't read this!!