• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

Clutch Replacement on DL650

Reaction score
First Name
Alejo
Last Name
Gonzalez
So ... clutch has been having some issues since the adjustement on the lever was a little tight from the beginning, plus 24k miles in a year of HARD riding (high speed cruising, aggresive passing, off road running riding the clutch too much :giveup: ) so it is time to replace it. :haha: :argh:

After having to get a F650 clutch replaced (300 dollars!) I was a little bit worried financially regarding the issue. Having only an automotive wrenching background (working on seized up parts on old Mercedes) I was dreading the moment, but a quick research I realized that it is a pretty straight forward process and it does not require special tools.

Today I ordered the parts, arriving tomorrow to my favorite cash black hole ... I mean Cycle Gear store :lol2:

The parts are listed 65 dollars. I think I saved that much money this month alone not going to Starbucks every day :coffee: .

I will post a full writeup with step by step instructions and misshaps :duck: immediatelly after finishing.

Stay tuned!

If it was anything like my Warrior that it will be a piece of cake. The hardest part on the Warrior was the gasket I had to scrape off. After that it was easy.

Parts Unlimited item number

1131 - 0367

This are the pics from www.vsftrom.info

dscn0463.jpg

dscn0464.jpg

dscn0465.jpg

dscn0466.jpg

dscn0467.jpg

dscn0468.jpg

dscn0469.jpg

dscn0470.jpg

dscn0471.jpg

dscn0472.jpg

dscn0473.jpg

dscn0474.jpg

dscn0475.jpg

Is there something wrong with a person who scrolls through a set of disassembly photos and associates it with the movie "Striptease"?:-P

Not admitting I did ... just wondering.

That bike is waaaay too clean. Ride once in a while, kay?

:P

//informative post. Doesn't look too intimidating when laid out like that.

That's cuz the bike in the pics isn't his - those are reference images off the Strom forum.

Alejo - take lots of pics as you go. Even the smallest of details can turn into a big deal for someone that isn't as familiar with mechanicals as you, and they might be using your walk-through as a guide. :thumb:

I'll offer to take the pics as I sit back, relax, sip some iced tea, and watch you sweat through the process... oh, and I'll point the fan at you every now and then, but mostly it's just for me. :kiss:

:P

//informative post. Doesn't look too intimidating when laid out like that.

25k miles in one year.

That is not my bike!

I wish someone would clean it like that! ... not me!

It is not a big deal; after dealing with automotive for many years; this clutch job does not intimidate me as much as I thought.

That's cuz the bike in the pics isn't his - those are reference images off the Strom forum.

Alejo - take lots of pics as you go. Even the smallest of details can turn into a big deal for someone that isn't as familiar with mechanicals as you, and they might be using your walk-through as a guide. :thumb:

I'll offer to take the pics as I sit back, relax, sip some iced tea, and watch you sweat through the process... oh, and I'll point the fan at you every now and then, but mostly it's just for me. :kiss:

So ... I am doing this tomorrow night.

:trust:

you should be fine so long as this project doesn't have 3 foot flames jumping up ;-)

Dave

And how much was left of the brisket?

This high tech grills scare and confuse me.

Next time I will go with my preferred technique :argh:

High Tech? :shrug:

There's about a half pund of meat left, but it won't be left for long. :eat:

And no, we're not digging a hole and making a fire pit in my backyard! :rolleyes:

Clutch is in.

It is somewhat different to the DL1000.

Curt swung by, a prybar and beer where involved.

I have witnesses.

Waiting for the red sealant (just being captain overkill here) to cure, more to come tomorrow.

If careful, there is no way you can mess up this job; but next time i would have a replacement gasket.

glad to hear you got it back together...now you just have to hope you put everything back in the right order. :doh: :-P

Thanks again for the bags...if it stops raining i'll snap a pic or two of my new S/T setup! :rider:

Cliff notes of the follow up of that night

Beer

Put it together

Go home

Beer

Sleep

Wake up

Phone with my cousing in Florida

Mc'd's for breakfast

Fill up the oil

Clutch lever unresponsive

Scratching head (for a change) thinking "where did I screw up?"