• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

The story of a forgotten 2-smoker(pics)

Reaction score
First Name
Hugo
Last Name
Osorio
For a long time I drove pass this 2001 YZ125 sitting on a parking lot and it looked abandoned. One day I decided to ask but the price was not right for the condition it was in. About 3 months later and 2 more stops, I bought it for half of the initial price. This kid had bought the bike and took it to the track(a newbie). First day out, he broke his hand and the bike was left alone. I got the bike with no compression, scratched and rusted frame, breaks bearly worked, bent handlebars, messed up plastics, leaking fork seals.....well, you get the point! I am currently taking an online motorcycle technician course so I thought this will be the perfect project for some hands on practice. This is what it looked like the first day after taking it apart and throwing away some plastics.
103_1368.jpg

It just happened that the cylinder was very scratched. After a lot of thought,(I wanted to go big bore) I decided to order this:
103_1611.jpg

All factory Yamaha parts, new cylinder, piston, ring, wrist pin bearing, wrist pin and clips.

I checked and packed all bearings from the swing arm to the wheel bearings. I also installed Moose Racing fork seals.
103_1475-1.jpg

Some engine work later...

103_1626.jpg

New Acerbis rear and front fenders, a new front number plate and 909 handlebars were also added to the bike.
103_1627.jpg

It was time to dress her up:
96-01yzimpact-1.jpg

c1_1.jpg

After lots of work and waiting for parts, this is what came out:
103_1628.jpg

103_1630.jpg

103_1629.jpg

The bike started on the second kick, I tested it and everything works like a charm. I know they are slowly being forgotten but I felt I had to give this bike some love. I really love the result! Now my garage looks like this:

103_1636.jpg

Ahhh! Much Better!

Very cool!

I notice a distince lack of headlights in your garage ;-)

Wow, very nice write up and pics. You did an awesome job on that little thing. Congrats.

Thats an awesome project start to finish. How much money is in it total? Was the time worth the money you saved?

awesome, was the online course your only education? Is the online course a good one/worth it?

Thanks everybody. It was super fun and I got the benefit of some hands on practice. The course im talking is very good(IMO) Its the only type of formal training I have and Im only half way there. I did have some experience in two stroke engines(radio control engines). The course is with Penn Foster. You can go to www.pennfostercollege.edu for more info.

Thats an awesome project start to finish. How much money is in it total? Was the time worth the money you saved?

Bike- $700
OEM Yamaha Cylinder- $290
Stock OEM Yamaha Piston Kit-$98
Acerbis Front and rear fender-$56
Moose fork seals replaced and suspension service- $160
Enjoy Graphics- $39
909 Handlebars- $32
Color Rite Touch up paint-$30

Total= about $1,375 (money well spent for the result !):trust:
About 2 months and 30-35 hours later....Result= PRICELESS!:rider:

Wow, less than $1400 and you came out with that!!!! That's awesome! And the fact that you know you did all the work yourself makes it that much better.

Wow, less than $1400 and you came out with that!!!! That's awesome! And the fact that you know you did all the work yourself makes it that much better.

I know man, it was a great experience. The fact that it started on the second kick and that everything works as it should makes it that much rewarding!:trust:

The bad thing is I may have to sell it cause I just learned 5 days ago that I will be a daddy again so I will be selling this one and my 2006 yz250f soon.

The bad thing is I may have to sell it cause I just learned 5 days ago that I will be a daddy again so I will be selling this one and my 2006 yz250f soon.

Why? are you going to put the baby in the garage? :lol2:

Why? are you going to put the baby in the garage? :lol2:

:rofl: Good one Albie :rofl:

Did you have any before pictures? Not that it makes any difference since you did such a good job getting it back together but I'm just curious. One again, good job! :clap:

Back