• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

AZ 191 - 100 mile long mountain road

Reaction score
First Name
john
Last Name
bledsoe
Hwy 191 mountain road starts with Alpine on the north and Clifton on the south. It is on the eastern border of AZ. This is a paved not very wide two lane road with no outside edging to speak of. It is a slow going road- 4 hours for the 100 miles. Has great vistas and no services except just before Alpine. Tons of camping and dirt roads as it passes through the Apache Sitgreaves Nat Forest. Runs at about 7 to 8000 feet. Accidently found it a couple of weeks ago. I have never heard about it before. Felt that I was on a Swiss mountain pass as they were years ago.

John, this section of US191, also known as the "Coronado Trail", is considered one of the top motorcycle roads in the US.

I too rode it recently. A few select photos:

HPIM1515s.jpg

HPIM1513s.jpg

HPIM1519s.jpg

HPIM1520s.jpg

Last edited:
Nice pictures. We did not take the time to foto as it was 110 F most of the day. It was a beautiful day and I wish we had. Thanks for sharing. I am not surprised this road is considered a top road but i have never heard about it or read about it (that is why I posted it). A person would have to be very brave to do this road fast on a sport bike. Going north on the road puts the rider on the mountain side a lot of the time.

I think that is the old 666 highway. I rode it back in '05. I hooked up with some locals from Silver City, NM and we went for a ride and end up in
Alpine, AZ. It was a great ride.

Yep, that's the old 666. Road it a couple times while I was stationed at Ft Huachuca. Great road.:rider:

:tab First and last time I was on it, they had just repaved it... :twisted: The weather was a scalding 85 F with nary a cloud in the sky. I think we saw one truck and one other bike between Clifton and Alpine. The descent into Alpine was just rocking!! It is definitely a top 10 ride in my book.

Just got back from an awesome ride out to West Virginia. That state has some of the most pristine gorgeous yet wickedly gnarly twisty and steep mountain roads I've experienced. Tunnels through mountains, waterfalls, gorges, vistas, clear mountain rivers and streams. I love that state, mountain roads rock baby!!!:rider:

I was out there with greengoose a few weeks ago and 191 was closed due to forest fires. We had to back track and take SR 78 out of there. AZ 366 is near Safford/191 and it was really crazy twisty too.

Scratch and I road the top section in a thunderstorm. Nothing else to do but keep on going lightening and all. No where to pull off! It was one of the best rides that I have been on....

Back