• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

Hmmm...919 brakes dragging?

wczimmerman

The ORIGINAL Pie Man
Forum Supporter
Reaction score
So txmedic graciously came over last Thursday and helped me to change the tires on Jen's 919 (ok-so he did most of the work and I was his lovely assistant :doh: ). I've been riding the bike since then to scrub in the tires. Husband's duty, don't you know? Since her bike is quieter than the Mazda down the road, I've been listening to it for any strange sounds. Every so often when I'm making a turn (bike is banked over a bit) at low speeds I hear what sounds like a slight dragging. I cannot tell which end of the bike it's coming from as it is intermittent, but rythmic when it does happen-almost like the rotor is slightly warped (not saying that it is, just trying to describe the sound).

I lifted the rear wheel yesterday and spun it with no problems. I have no way to lift the front yet. I'm thinking that perhaps one of the calipers has some gunk on the pins holding the pads? :shrug: The bike otherwise rides fine. My concern is that the sound seems to happen only when the bike is turning at slow speed (could something be shifting?) but then that may be the only time when I can actually hear anything. I'm getting us prepped for our big Missouri ride in the couple of weeks and I don't want any mechanical issues that I can avoid.

By the way, this is not a problem with Kurt's work. He did a stellar job with the tire change. :clap: I remounted everything, with his assistance as an extra set of hands. If something wasn't mounted correctly, it would be my fault.

The 919 has the same calipers that the VTR does. There's nothing to "push" back the pads off the rotors, so at low speeds after you hit the brakes you may hear a little racket off the front.

If you want to check, have SWMBO come out and help. You lean the bike up and over so that the back tire and side stand are on the ground, and the front wheel in the air. She spins the front tire and see if it's free.

Usually they touch just enough to make noise, not really to drag. Another check, make sure the rotors are cool. Run around the block and then touch them again. If they are cool, they aren't dragging enough to be a problem. If you're finger blisters and/or bursts into flame upon contact, there might be a problem. If you forget and use your front brakes, ignore the test.

Good advice from Chirpy.

If the brakes are draging, I would ask whether the pistons were pushed back into the caliper during the tire change. If the pistons were pushed in, were they cleaned before pushing them in? The pistons get really dirty and that dirt can cause the piston to stick if it is not cleaned off.

Carl

Well, I had Jen spin the front wheel while I balanced the bike on the side stand. It seemed to have a little more drag than I would've thought, but it may just be me. The 919 has had a squeal from the front brakes since new and I've just never bothered to have the dealer fix it under warranty. I saw on one of the 919 forums that this is a somewhat common issue fixed with new rotors. We dropped the bike off this evening at the dealer for them to fix the squeal and do the safety inspection anyway. While it's there, I'm having them check the steering stem bearings for proper tension and the rear brakes, too.

I did touch the rotors when I got home from work and they were hot. Were they too hot? Dunno. I have stop-and-go for half my ride, so it could be normal. I could touch them, but not for long. After a few minutes they were completely cooled. All three rotors felt about the same temperature.

I'd take the front calipers back off one at a time and repeat the test to narrow it down further. Check for proper pad placement, clean the pistons and slide pins (if equipped, I don't recall) with brake cleaner and retorque. Other things to consider would be chain tension and rear wheel alignment.

I'm not familiar with that particular bike but you need to mount the tire, push the forks up and down 5 or 6 times and then torque the pinch bolts. My thinking is that you could have a front wheel alignment issue maybe. The possible reason is that the rotors got tweaked (bent) somehow when you were mounting or dismounting the tire. o

I own a 919, never had the front wheel off, rode mine yesterday never heard any noise like you mentioned. Are you using Honda Brake Pads? Check it out.
Buellboy

I own a 919, never had the front wheel off, rode mine yesterday never heard any noise like you mentioned. Are you using Honda Brake Pads? Check it out.
Buellboy

Yes, it's still on the OEM pads. The bike has only 3K miles on it so far. It's still at the dealer right now. I called for a status yesterday and they said they wouldn't be able to even look at it until Tuesday of next week. :eek2: I brought it in 2 WEEKS early to give them ample time...So, I spoke with the service manager (he knows me well from my former VFR) and he indicated that he would try to work on it sooner since he will need time if he has to order any parts to repair the bike.

It is good you have it at the dealer even though I know you wanted it back "yesterday". My bike has over 4k without a problem so something is wrong with yours. My guess it is either very simple or a big problem but with brakes and tires you cannot take any chances.... good luck
BuellBoy
Thrust Blue XB12X
Candy Red CB919

Anything new?

Well, we got the bike back on Thursday. They blew out the calipers with compressed air saying that the brake noise was simply a build-up of dust. Yeah, right. It IS quieter, but it does make the noise eventually, though it takes longer now. I also had them check the steering stem for looseness (needed to be tightened it would seem) and they added some brake fluid to the rear master cylinder. Other than the annoying noise the bike rides great, better than before with the steering stem nut tightened down a bit. I ran out of time on the brake noise. I'll deal with that when we get back.

Every honda I've owned has had the brakes drag a tad. I finally got tired of worrying about the noise and took the little clips the factory installs to quiet the slap. I prolly should re-install them...but I'm a tad lazy in that area.

On another note, I replaced the stock pads when they wore with some EBC's and LOVE them! Next add0n is going to be a radial mastercylinder. The '03's don't have them and after riding a few 1000'rrs with them I sorely miss the better "on/off" or lack of that feeling with the radial system.

Man I need to work less and ride some...I'm starting to get all nostalgic reading this forum. I shouldn't be reliving memories...Bikes are bought to be ridden!

Back