• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

Best tire for the buck?

Reaction score
First Name
Timothy
Last Name
Miller
Need to replace my rear tire on my 2004 YZ250f... and I was just curious what would be the best tire for mainly trail riding, and a little STORM racing?

Bridgestone?
Dunlop?
Michelin?

Which model?!?!

Thanks for your time
-Tim-

No I don't..... I have and like the Michelin MS-2's

I hear dunlop 756's are good too.

Avoid bridgestones at all cost!!

They came stock on KTM's for a few years. They wore down real fast and they never seemed take catch traction when I needed it most. I havn't had that problem with my current set of tires..

This is what i would look at...

Dunlop- 756 or 773

Michelin- S12 or MS-2

Pirelli- MT44

Dunlop 756 grip is good but doesn't last long.
Michelin MS grip is OK but lasts long time.

Need to replace my rear tire on my 2004 YZ250f... and I was just curious what would be the best tire for mainly trail riding, and a little STORM racing?

Bridgestone?
Dunlop?
Michelin?

Which model?!?!

Thanks for your time
-Tim-

And here I was thinking 17" Suns front and back and Bridgestone softs. :mrgreen: Give up on asphalt?

LOL... hey Jack.

Yeah... the slide down into T8 at a high rate of speed with my bike following into the tire wall did it in for me. :giveup:

I do miss instructing with LSTD, but as far as big bike roadracing... I'm out.

I still have my gear, and have kicked around the idea of racing in TMGP from time to time... but it seems like my schedule never works well with the TMGP race schedule.

Well, it's rough on the body, but worse on the wallet. I heard they finally removed the wall at 8B, but I have no desire to go broke. so I'm out except for TMGP stuff and haven't been doing much of that, lately.

Ordered a set of Dumlop 756's from Rockymountainmc.com today. $122 for front and rear... free shipping! :thumb:

Anyone close to Katy know how to replace MX tires? Clark?!?!(hint hint) ;)

For your next set, you might look into the Maxxis Maxxcross series (which one depends on the trails you ride), I've heard they give excellent bang for the buck.

I need to learn - so if you find someone let me know.
I probably need to change out the (still leaking) tube on the rear.

This is how I do it,with a bit more cursing and the random bloody knuckle. This guy makes it look too easy.

http://www.transworldmotocross.com/mx/how_to/article/0,13190,1215721,00.html

I put an IRC mb5 on the rear of my DRZ, and that thing had huge lugs in a paddle pattern = great grip in sandy soil
m5b.jpg

Yeah, yeah... I know, this thread is nearly a month old, and I finally got around to mounting my new tires yesterday.

I'll start off by saying that it was a learning experience. :) Word of advice... buy/use 3 tire irons!

The first tire took about 30 minutes... the second took about 5 minutes.

Now I'm eager to try out my new rubber!!!

I'll start off by saying that it was a learning experience. :) Word of advice... buy/use 3 tire irons!

Pics? Tips? Advice?

Hmm... I bought two tire irons but now I'll have to add a third... :doh:
I bought "short" irons in an attempt to keep the tool kit small when traveling. Is there a huge disadvantage, or will they suffice (since I have to shop again anyway) ?

Last time I changed a tube tire, I used 2 tire irons and a bench vise. Stupid *** tube tires, I will never own another bike that uses tube tires.

What would be a good DOT tire for mainly trail ride and modulate pace race?

Ken

The maxxis is not, not for highway. So it will pass DOT. If you get the IT, it is hard enough that it will not chunk on the street. This is what XRrocket man, Get bent, Goat trail green, Teeds, Greasemonkey, and a lot more use. Or you can go with a D606, or MT21.

Pics? Tips? Advice?

Hmm... I bought two tire irons but now I'll have to add a third... :doh:
I bought "short" irons in an attempt to keep the tool kit small when traveling. Is there a huge disadvantage, or will they suffice (since I have to shop again anyway) ?

Huge disadvantage. Now that I have changed a handfull of tires, buy the steel long one, it is good to have one nice big one for leverage. I do not even touch the short ones anymore, it is worth the space to me to have the long ones. And, you can do it with two, but it is much easier with 3 irons and 3 hands ;-)

Also, use lots of lube it will make everything much easier. You can quote me on that.

Last thing, plan to kill a tube the first time you do a tire change...

Last thing, plan to kill a tube the first time you do a tire change...

Yeah, I've heard all the horror stories so before the XR was even in my possession I ordered two front and two rear tubes. ;-)

Back