PDA

View Full Version : Texas Kid finds water!!

GetBent
08-08-2007, 02:19 AM
Well, I say. I never thought I would see water again since moving to the desert. Guess what, it left Texas and made its way to Tucson. I will let the pictures to the talking. All of the pictures are from Sunday at Chiva Falls. The total ride was only 26 miles and with the river crossings, breaks, and drying off periods was about a 5 hour ride. I headed back out Monday morning with a couple of friends to a place called Wilmot. None of us had our cameras (they would have been ruined), but the water monday was even deeper. It was like riding bottomless silt underneath several feet of water. Many times it would take all three of us to lift the bike out. I took off bravely into one hole that was over my seat:doh: The bike took on water and died. After opening the air box a nasty sand margarita poured out. Fifteen minutes later I had it running, so all was good.
Here is a link to some pictures then I will post some more

http://www.tucsonmototours.com/teambuilding/index.htm

Boxercup Dave
08-08-2007, 07:15 AM
Saw on the news that you had a lot of rain out there. Looks like you were having fun! The weather is heating up here and the rain has dropped off.

You riding a Beemer yet?

Oh and since we moved the M&G location we have over 30 bikes show up.

Goat Trail Green
08-08-2007, 07:52 AM
Jim

Is this the way you do laundry in Tuscon ?
LOL

http://www.tucsonmototours.com/teambuilding/images/P8040247a_jpg.jpg

http://www.tucsonmototours.com/teambuilding/images/IMAG0082a_jpg.jpg

Man I have to get out there !

Boxercup Dave is right. Patrick and I went 2 or 3 weeks ago and there were bikes everywhere. Thanks for the pics. That was serious water. It looks like you had a decent size group. Which one is Jeff ?

Mike Green

FirstMan
08-08-2007, 10:37 AM
This guy's name is Ky, but with a helmet on his glasses and the shape of his eyes are a dead ringger for Teeds. Funny stuff.

http://www.tucsonmototours.com/teambuilding/images/IMAG0082a_jpg.jpg

FirstMan
08-08-2007, 10:43 AM
Wow, we look miserable. "are we having fun yet?" http://www.tucsonmototours.com/teambuilding/images/IMAG0060a_jpg.jpg

Riding 101 in the desert:
http://www.tucsonmototours.com/teambuilding/images/IMAG0049a_jpg.jpg

Hopefully all the rain will be gone in a few days. It is seasonal but the magnitude that comes down in this 4 week period washes out roads and people die. Plus, I had forgotten what it was like to have to clean a bike!

GetBent
08-08-2007, 11:01 AM
Saw on the news that you had a lot of rain out there. Looks like you were having fun! The weather is heating up here and the rain has dropped off.

You riding a Beemer yet?

Oh and since we moved the M&G location we have over 30 bikes show up.

How ya been, Dave! The rain is simply amazing, how it cuts into the earth and can so quickly change the terrain. One day you can ride over whoops no problem. Next day, there is an 5ft deep 8ft wide hole on the other side. We have been warned to be very cautious riding after the rain.
I am not on my "own" BMW yet. But I get a demo anyday I want so it works out well.:rider: Ironhorse is unlike any dealer I have been in, sooo laid back. Remember to stop by if ya'll ever take a ride out this way.

thumper
08-08-2007, 11:31 AM
Plus, I had forgotten what it was like to have to clean a bike!

Looks like y'all are going for the motor flush special too. Maybe another 2 or 3 inches and bikey no more workie:eek2:

fast_yellow
08-08-2007, 02:25 PM
Looks like FUN to me.

brutus
08-08-2007, 02:28 PM
I can't believe y'all didn't flood an engine!

FirstMan
08-08-2007, 02:29 PM
Looks like y'all are going for the motor flush special too. Maybe another 2 or 3 inches and bikey no more workie:eek2:

That is why we ride KTMs, they can do anything, :rofl:

I got home, did an oil change and this weekend I am checking the valves. I was told that they needed to be done quite often and I have no clue when the PO did them last.

thumper
08-08-2007, 02:42 PM

Hmmm...Is that a red KTM going deep? Maybe it's the test bike or even the tow bike.:rofl:

FirstMan
08-08-2007, 03:38 PM
Hmmm...Is that a red KTM going deep? Maybe it's the test bike or even the tow bike.:rofl:

Speaking of Red, Jim sunk is XR, pulled it out, held in the compression lever and kicked it over a bunch and then fired it up. That is after wrigging out the air filter. It started right up.

We don't plan to do much more riding in the next few weeks.

Also, I was told today that they have been on a 17 year drought and this year was similar to what they used to get in the 80s.

GetBent
08-08-2007, 03:54 PM
[QUOTE=FirstMan;282005]That is why we ride KTMs, they can do anything, :rofl:

Yes, the Hondas come along to help the little KTMs out of the trouble spots. "Honda, never leave home without one.....if you plan on making it back home":trust: I seem to remember that it was always a honda that went through first...then the KTMs followed....:sun:

FirstMan
08-08-2007, 05:43 PM
I seem to remember that it was always a honda that went through first...then the KTMs followed....:sun:

That is just the nut behind the wheel :eek2:

brutus
08-08-2007, 05:50 PM
That is just the nut behind the wheel :eek2:

Hmmm, Firstman is letting you take lead when crossing a creek of unknown depth...

thumper
08-25-2007, 10:25 AM
I guess the water is down a little by now. So are y'all gonna do it again?:popcorn:

FirstMan
08-26-2007, 07:19 PM
We are headding out in about 30 minutes for some more. Yeah, the water is down, it is none existant! The ground is still soft but the sand is loose. The great thing is that the clothes and bike are just dusty, not muddy after a ride and I like that.

I hope to get some pictures today we shall see.

thumper
08-26-2007, 09:47 PM
We are headding out in about 30 minutes. I hope to get some pictures today we shall see.

:popcorn: I've been kinda collecting info on both Az. and N.M. My folks bought a place in Ruidoso and I plan on making several visits. The riding there is a true DSers paradise. Plus Mr. Bullfrog owes me several beers!:lol2:

FirstMan
08-27-2007, 12:57 PM
I have 1 picture on Jim's camera and that is about it. We were short on daylight, so we never really stopped. He should have got a picture of me trying to make the hill climb, the bike bike was in the air for a few seconds.

Jim didn't like the area all that much. Too much sand for him. I thought the area was great With doubbling back we rode about 20-25 miles of single track and didn't repeat anything twice. There is sand, but on a 200 2 stroke it wasn't bad. I will pull out the bigger bikes for this next weekend and see how it goes. I will take pictures then since Terra is going with me!

thumper
08-27-2007, 01:21 PM
I will pull out the bigger bikes for this next weekend and see how it goes. I will take pictures then since Terra is going with me!

:popcorn:

Tx Rider
08-31-2007, 05:01 PM

I got home, did an oil change and this weekend I am checking the valves. I was told that they needed to be done quite often and I have no clue when the PO did them last.

Do your swing arm and shock joints too after that deep water. Ya don't want to be rusting up in there and KTM isn't known for being liberal on the grease in there.

Greasemonkey
09-07-2007, 08:10 AM
Jim didn't like the area all that much. Too much sand for him.

Doesn't Jim ride the xr?

Everyone knows the best way to neg. sand on the brp is wfo!!!
Guess then he would have to wait on the ,uh,little bikes..

GetBent
09-07-2007, 02:38 PM
Jim didn't like the area all that much. Too much sand for him.

Doesn't Jim ride the xr?

Everyone knows the best way to neg. sand on the brp is wfo!!!
Guess then he would have to wait on the ,uh,little bikes..

Well, I hate to admit it but the washes are taking a bite out of me. The sand is very different than what one will ride at Red River. As long as the wash is wide, you are right, wfo, hang on and steer like a jet ski. It is the really tight curvy stuff with the front wheel sinking a foot. It is frustrating me that it is taking so long to get it together, but I will. And when it all starts clicking...Watch your back!!!! On the other hand the techincal rocky hillclimbs are a blast and I am always looking for the most difficult line. Blessed be the little tractor motor in my xrr.