• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

Seat Pad Help....

Reaction score
Looking for something that is comfy for miles, not too thick to raise seat height and can breath underneath the rider.
Any suggestion or idea will be helpful.

Ive seen guys swear by their Airhawk.

Looking for something that is comfy for miles, not too thick to raise seat height and can breath underneath the rider.
Any suggestion or idea will be helpful.

I just bought an airhawk. Heading out on a trip to Ruidoso tomorrow. I'll let you know how it is when I get back next week.

For me Airhawk is definately best I've had my keester on, alaska leather pad gets more use from me though.

I've wanted one of these http://airventusa.com/ultracool4.htm but it isn't water proof.

I have one, and I like it, but you do have to take it in when it rains. Fortunately, it comes off easily and you can put the cord locks back on the cord to keep it from disappearing. I rode in the rain with it Wednesday, and I couldn't tell that it got wet by the next day. Maybe I cover most of it up?

I don't know how it compared to an Airhawk. I didn't have the bucks for one of them.

Last edited:
why is that? pros cons on either side?

The airhawk kind of floats you over the seat, no pressure points. It saves your tush, breathes so ya don't sweat, but it does feel a bit weird floating 1/2" over the seat on an air cushion. Some folks just don't like that feeling, or don't figure out how to set the air pressure right.

The alaska leather doesn't soften things so much, a little but not so much as the airhawk. It does however get air moving under your tush to keep the sweat down.

I really don't need the airhawk on my current bikes, the alaska leather pad does fine for long trips for me.

I just put a Saddlemen's seat on my bike, rode it 400 miles over the weekend and my buttocks don't like it one bit. While it is high quality, provides more room than the stock seat, it is so dang hard that it's almost like sitting on concrete. I'm wondering if it stays this way or settles in a bit - which I thought would have happened over 400 miles.

May get rid of it, go back to stock and put an Airvent on.

I have a BMW acquantance that swears by the Buns-EZ pad. He just got back from a 3800 mile ride on his 1200RT using that pad. Think I'm going to have to order me one up before my Big Bend trip. Only thing he said was don't leave it on the bike overnight in freezing weather! :eek2:

More info here: http://www.bunsease.com/

Mark

I have the Bead Rider on my '96 Voyager. Keeps you ventilated so you don't sweat. Costs about $35 here:

http://beadrider.com/

I still need to do something about the padding, I may try to insert a gel pad under the seat cover. I am pretty sure the padding on my seat is probably worn out, got over 52K on the bike.
Marty

I have a beaded cushion as well and use it quite often on long rides. Whitehorse use to sell them for $25, but no more.

I swear by my Airhawk! I have almost 30,000 miles on one in just about 18 months. The trick is to blow it up just enough that you swear there is not enough air in it, but when you sit on it, you feel that it is just right... Awfully hard to describe, and you will have to tweak it a little (air fill that is) until it is just right for you.

Good luck in your search.

Airhawk is awesome. :clap: Absolutely no pressure points. Well ventilated through the mesh sides. No worries with rain. My bladder and fuel stops now determine how long I ride on the Intruder.

I just spoke on the phone to a very helpful tech at Saddlemen. He 'splained to me that it's not mileage that breaks in a new seat - it's use. Just as a cage with a million highway miles will show much less wear on the driver's seat cushion than an in-town salesman putting 50,000 miles on a similar car with multiple entries and exits. So one long trip on a new seat will not break it in - it takes many getting on and off over a period of a couple weeks.

As I ride every day and have had this seat less than a week, I will work with it a bit more and see how it goes.

I also have the airhawk and used it on a trip to Alaska. The first time I made this trip (1996) I did not have an airhawk. After getting back from the trip I recalled never wanting to make that trip again because my butt hurt so much. I made the trip again this year with an airhawk. Amazing difference. I will never travel again without one. :clap:

Short of having a Russell Day-Long built I think the Sweet Cheeks are a great compromise. I have a set of these on my Son's KLX 250. It is amazing how much difference they make. And they don't really add to seat height at all. By placing them back far enough on the seat you can slide forward for stopping or off road riding. Plus you can keep water in the bottles! They work by making the seating position much wider. You could put a pad on top for even better comfort. These things don't get advertised much, they are a hidden secret in my opinion!

http://cycle-analyst.com/Sweet_Cheeks.htm

I bought a bead seat on sale at WalMart about 2 years ago for 8 bucks...
Will not ride without this thing, Its a major improvement,, Form KLR to ST 1300 to a DL 1000 with a rick Myers seat.... It fits the length of the KLR seat and the concours and when I don't have a passenger I fold it over double....

Mike

I bought a bead seat on sale at WalMart about 2 years ago for 8 bucks...
Will not ride without this thing, Its a major improvement,, Form KLR to ST 1300 to a DL 1000 with a rick Myers seat.... It fits the length of the KLR seat and the concours and when I don't have a passenger I fold it over double....

Mike

LOL - I had the same thing on my Virago! It was a great cushion for cheap. Won't fit on the seat on my XS850, so I let it go with the Virago.

Back