• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

Do you want more trails in the Forests of Tejas?

Teeds

Reaction score
First Name
Tony
Last Name
Eeds
Route Designation Workshop For Land Managers, OHV Enthusiasts and Other Stakeholders

September 27 – 30, 2007

The Lone Star Convention & Expo Center
9055 F. M. 1484
Conroe, TX 77303

Agency Personnel - Thursday, September 27, 8AM - 5PM & Friday, September 28, 8AM - 1PM

Public - Saturday, September 29, 8AM - 5PM & Sunday, September 30, 8AM - 3:30PM

The National Off-Highway Vehicle Conservation Council (NOHVCC), in cooperation with the Angelina, Davy Crockett, Sam Houston and Sabine National Forests is conducting a Motorized Route Designation Workshop in September for agency personnel and other stakeholders. The purpose of this workshop is to assist the Forest Service and other stakeholders in effective implementation of the USFS Travel Management Rule in their State. While the sessions on Thursday and Friday are designed primarily for Forest Service personnel and the sessions on Saturday and Sunday are designed primarily for the public, the sessions are open to all who want to attend and there is no charge. Continental breakfast will be served at 7:30 AM each day. Lunch and breaks will also be provided.

Registration is required on-line at:

https://conference.nohvcc.org/?EVENT&EVENTCODE=010193-28&PASSWORD=4718&template=rdwTX

Or you may visit www.nohvcc.org and click on the “Forest Service OHV Route Designation Workshops and Database” link to register.

The registration deadline is September 17, 2007. For questions about registration contact Ann Vance at 888-458-0131 or e-mail avance@nohvcc.org .

NOHVCC has secured a limited number of rooms at the Holiday Inn Express, 2240 Stoneside Road, Conroe TX 77303, phone 936-788-5200. These rooms are on a first come basis at the rate of $79.00 + tax per night. Ask for the NOHVCC room block. Deadline for this rate is August 26. After that date, call for price and availability.

This national workshop series is sponsored by the Americans for Responsible Recreational Access (ARRA), the Motorcycle Industry Council (MIC) and the Specialty Vehicle Institute of America (SVIA). Coordination of the workshops is provided by the NOHVCC. Design of the workshop sessions was a collaborative effort by professional trail consultants, ARRA, MIC, SVIA, American Motorcyclist Association (AMA), Blue Ribbon Coalition (BRC), United Four Wheel Drive Associations (UFWDA), and NOHVCC, with input from USFS trail managers.

The Agency Workshop objectives are:

• To develop a better understanding of the needs and concerns of OHV enthusiasts and other stakeholders in implementation of the USFS Travel Management Rule
• To improve the quality and the sustainability of trails, trail systems and areas through the implementation process
• To improve OHV enthusiast and other stakeholder input and support for the implementation process
• To increase partnerships between the USFS, the OHV industry, OHV enthusiasts and other stakeholders
• To facilitate better communication between the USFS, OHV enthusiasts and other stakeholders

OHV Enthusiasts and Other Stakeholders Workshop objectives are:

• To develop an understanding of the FS Travel Management Rule
• To help OHV enthusiasts and other stakeholders become more active in route designation decisions
• To help OHV enthusiasts and other stakeholders understand how to improve the quality and sustainability of trails, trails systems and areas through the implementation process
• To increase partnerships between the USFS, the OHV industry, OHV enthusiasts and other stakeholders
• To facilitate better communication between the USFS, OHV enthusiasts and other stakeholders

The National Off-Highway Vehicle Conservation Council is a non-profit educational foundation. For information regarding NOHVCC and its workshop programs visit its website at:

www.nohvcc.org

Anyone who is interested in more OHV riding trails in Tejas should make it a priority to attend this conference. We all understand that Tejas has very little public lands and the land for OHVing is miniscule compared to the size of our state. But when the National Forest is FINALLY beginning to realize that they need to provide some riding opportunities and is ASKING for comments and holding a conference to discuss your NEEDS and WANTS....SOMEBODY better show up!!

Find out what the USFS is planning for OHV in Tejas to, what they're thinking. Tell them what your thinking, what you want and need. These are YOUR National Forests, funded by YOUR TAXES. Use them or lose them!

The USFS asked for public comments on the proposed new OHV area in the Angelina NF and got very few. If USFS holds this conference to discuss what we, the OHV community in the state of Tejas wants, and we don't say anything, we don't show up, what will they think about the need for OHV trails in the NFs?

They will just think that the birders, the hikers, the mountain bikers, that all show up and talk with them, they want trails. When the OHV community don't show up, don't talk with them, the USFS will think the OHV riders don't want OHV trails in the NFs..... Are they right?

Granted there are some OHV trails in the Sam Houston NF, but don't we want some in the other national forests as well? How about Davy Crockett, Angelina, Sabine? When it comes to OHV riding opportunities isn't it, the MORE, the BETTER? Don't be afraid to stand up and say so! If you don't ask fro more trails, (or even comment), you'll NEVER more!! We may not keep the ones we have now.

Show the Forest Service that we want more OHV trails and we can be responsible for helping them manage those trails as well. If nobody shows up, I can almost guarantee you that you'll have trails CLOSING- not MORE TRAILS OPENING! Even if just one person form your club shows up, that’s okay. One conference attendee can represent all the members of your club.

I strongly encourage you to attend this conference, even if just for one day. I cannot over emphasize how important this is. PLEASE don't miss the opportunity to work within the system.

IF YOU WANT MORE AND BETTER OHV TRAILS IN TEJAS, STAND UP AND SAY SO.

I'll certainly be there. We should [maybe??] organize a DS ride living from the convention on Saturday and head out to SHNF. The forest is only about 30 mi. away and the roads could be about 50% dirt.

If there were trails in Crockett and Sabine, you could route all four forest together for one heck of a DS ride.:clap:

There are trails in those forests, Angelina has been shuting down all the trails systematically for the last decade though, good luck reasoning with them.

The national forests are responding to the directive from washington to standardize motorized trails/desigations. Folks like the sierra club are working full out to ttend all these public meetings nationwide pushing for closing of all motorized trails.

We might also want to start looking at the Texas Parks and widlife dept. and Texas state parks and lands. Though Parks and wildlife have had their gaurenteed budget (monies from all permits and taxes on all sporting goods) stolen by the state legislature and locked up so they can use it to make the budget look balanced for the last 15 years.

Our state parks facilities are deteriorating, Our parks dept is a ahell of its former self, state parks are now starting to close and we are in danger of losing many of them.

There are a few legislators trying to take the budget cap off the parks dept. and give them the funds they are guarenteed, but that have been witheld, but as any other larg sum of funds most legislators have nothing but greedy eyes on the money.

There are trails in those forests, Angelina has been shuting down all the trails systematically for the last decade though, good luck reasoning with them.

The national forests are responding to the directive from washington to standardize motorized trails/desigations. Folks like the sierra club are working full out to ttend all these public meetings nationwide pushing for closing of all motorized trails.

We might also want to start looking at the Texas Parks and widlife dept. and Texas state parks and lands. Though Parks and wildlife have had their gaurenteed budget (monies from all permits and taxes on all sporting goods) stolen by the state legislature and locked up so they can use it to make the budget look balanced for the last 15 years.

Our state parks facilities are deteriorating, Our parks dept is a ahell of its former self, state parks are now starting to close and we are in danger of losing many of them.

There are a few legislators trying to take the budget cap off the parks dept. and give them the funds they are guarenteed, but that have been witheld, but as any other larg sum of funds most legislators have nothing but greedy eyes on the money.

TMTC was formed out of frustration that Angelina National Forest was closed to all OHV recreational uses in 1999. There have been zero opportunities there since.

NOHVCC is stepping to the plate to address this issue in a proactive manner. The Blue Ribbon Coalition filed the lawsuit that brought the National Forest folks to the table back. We met in Zavalla this spring and the forest managers listened. During the NOHVCC conference in March in Charleston WV, we all met together, NOHVCC, FS, TPWD and TMTC. It was decided that the time was right for holding a route designation workshop here in Texas.

I would like to ask everyone to attend, but please check your frustrations at the door when you enter. We need to not give anyone any information or ammunition that can be used against us. The National Forest budgets have been hammered as bad as TPWD's budget. We are a salvation as we are willing to step up with support.

TPWD recently appropriated a fair sum of money to be directed to the Sam Houston National Forest for improvements on the trail system there. RTP funds will likely support trail work in the Angelina and Davy Crockett National Forests as well.

I spent the majority of the last two weeks in TPWD offices in Austin with Steve Thompson, OHV Program Coordinator, working on the master plan for Escondido Draw Recreation Area southwest of Ozona. It is 3,300 + acres of fun. It should be open next summer.

TPWD is looking at other opportunities as well. This is our chance, if we are willing to step up and sieze it.

I might make it down there if nothing gets in way between now and then.

It's nice to hear the area out in Ozona is going to open up, I'll have to get down there next year as well.

I hadn't heard about the blue ribbon coalition's lawsuit concerning Angelina, is there any information about it you could point me at?

:rider: I will be there. I grew up riding these trails. Actually, years ago, we rode down the side of FM 1375 & 1791 to get to the trail heads. This was before Lake Conroe was a puddle. We old timers really care about the forest trails more than any one can know. The 3 wheelers really tore it up back in the day of their existence. That is when the major washouts and trail widening occurred. There definitely needs to be a meeting of the minds about trail use. There are folks out there that would like for our motorized vehicles to go away forever. Our input is needed more than ever. RH

Tony sorry to say I will be in laredo that weekend.Do my best to promote some local folks to attend.This is in my backyard and feel bad about not being able to participate!!!

Back