• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

Loud Horns

Dragwn

Reaction score
First Name
Keith
Last Name
Lane
Well, being a commuter, I've been meaning to put louder horns on, and since I couldn't find a place to install a set of Diesel Electric train horns :dude: ...I went with a set from Autozone, 132 db, with a 30 amp relay :dude: ..man, these things will scare small children (bonus :twisted: ). I'll be at the thusday gathering up here and will show em off , the install isn't completely stealth, but the intent isn't to hide them, but to wake up sleeping cagers. If anyone is looking for a way to get noticed in traffic, this is it. The package says "Big Rig Sound, Twice as Loud" finally, truth in advertising. :chug:

I hope they work for you. I've never had any luck with horns in traffic. Seems like the cager who's violating my right-of-way either never hears it or, if he does, gets defensive and stays his course out of stubbornness. I've found it better to back off and let the idiot go, or (in extreme cases) wake him up with a couple of thumps on his hood or front fender.

There's always the good old used spark plugs into the windshield, or ball bearings under their car at speed..sound abit like a tommy gun going off in the passenger seat, then I know a couple people who have just punched the mirrors off the cages that are trying to kill them. I still like my loud horns, it screws with their cellphone convos.

I installed an aftermarket fiamm horn. It helps a bit, but I didnt change the relay. Is this necessary to do into to get the full sound?

I used to kick in doors and taillights when cagers pissed me off. One night I tore the rearview mirror off a VW, after she cut me off for the second time in two blocks. I told her "You're obviously not using this!" and crushed it in my bare hand. Then I had to ride to the emergency room, dripping blood all over my horrified date.

Wonder why that gal never went out with me again? :mrgreen:

The most I'll do nowadays is the fist on the fender thing. It wakes 'em up, they get the message they screwed up, but you haven't left any damage you can be arrested for! :twisted:

However, I've mellowed a lot in my old age. I try to let more of that stuff slide, without retaliating. I finally figured out that it really doesn't make me "feel better," and it's not teaching the idiot cagers a thing about respecting motorcycles in traffic. If anything, it's just teaching 'em to aim better, next time! :angryfir:

On one level it sucks, having to bite my tongue and turn the other cheek when some cell-phone yakkin' bozo disses me in traffic. It goes against the grain, and I feel like I really ought to be setting that yahoo straight, y'know? However, most days, once the immediate rush of anger passes, my self-restraint actually does make me feel better!
:angel:

Wabbit, if you don't install a relay, the horn will be getting choked, it will not get the full amount of juice it needs. Which one did you put on, or did you do a set of high/low tone? I used the set that says "Big Rig Sound" 132db, using a 30 amp relay and pulling juice directly from the battery, the difference is night and day. Drop me an email or PM and let me know what you installed, and on what bike...we can make it work better/louder.

Dragwn,

Could you give us an update on cager reaction to the horns. I think it's a good idea to interupt the cell phone conversation. :twisted:.....these days someone might bust a cap on your ***. :eek:

Hey Keith..well, we'll see how this week goes commuting, rain, fog and sleepy weather combined with "**** its early" syndrome makes for some interesting cager actions. Oh and BTW, my name is Keith as well..I'm used to being called "Keith 2" :lol:

Dyna Sport said:
Well I only met ya once, but ya seem like a pretty decent fella to me.
Why, thank yew, kind sir! :oops:

I really do try! However, if you recall, we weren't around cagers that day. You might have gotten a different impression if someone had jacked with us in traffic. Whatever "berserker gene" I have, that kicks in when I'm threatened, works double- or triple-time when someone I'm with is threatened.

To combat that berserker gene I pray and meditate, keep an eye on my emotional state, and work on improving my defensive riding skills. I've learned that, if I can anticipate a cager's stupid move, it won't piss me off near as much as when I'm taken by surprise.

What can I say? I'm a work in progress! :angel:

LOL, yeah I just got reminded myself tonight.

I was just pulling down the hill into on the back way into my lil subdivision and was doing 30 down the 1/8 mile or so to my turn, some jerk turns in behind meand is right on my tail, and when I hit my blinker to turn on my street starts laying on his horn.

I mean this is only like a 3-4 block long road, past a school and is a 20mph limit. And the road dead ends into apartments a block past my turn which is where he was going I assume.

Anyway I instinctively hang the rod back at him through my turn and get a big time urge to turn around and get all up in his face.

Took a minute to just let it go, and not let it put a bad end on the night after meeting the folks at the DFW get together tonight.

BTW got to hear those loud horns tonight, and yeah they are plenty loud. :)

If I heard em while I was caging around I wouldn't be lookin around for no bike, I'd be looking for a big dualy truck though. :)

But you'd still be looking, and that matters! ;-)

Adios,

Now where are ya gonna mount the horns on the FZ? I need to take the tupperware off and put more effort into the mount for mine..I just don't wanna waste a day doing it right now.

Well if I decided to do em, the lil fairing has plenty of room in it for a pair of horns.

I'm thinking more about heated glove liners and socks right now though. 8-)

I'd rather do the heated grips than heated glove liners, though I only have one bike so it wouldn't be a problem there, though $27 or so for a heated grip kit, or how much liners cost with a controler so you don't bake.

Well right now I'm thinkin about just makin my own. :)

I have 3 bikes, so gloves and socks are a better option I think.

I have some nice waterproof goretex gloves, just begging for a liner, and all a heated jacket or grips really uses is metal wire. You just have to get the resistance right.

Back