• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

Sputtering Triumph

Nico

Reaction score
I have a buddy with a trophy 1200 and he's having some problems. After 75-90 miles, the bike starts to sputter, surge and will eventually die. If he refills the tank, he's fine. He's asked for some help and in my opinion, I think its either something in the tank thats blocking the fuel after the level drops or his petcock is hosed. It ONLY happens after the 75-90 miles. Never later, never before.

Anyone ever heard anything like this happen to a trophy or any bike for that matter?

Nico

Only petcock trouble I had with my Trumpet was when the vaccum hose got squished between the frame and tank when I put it back together too fast, other than that I had 4 ignition pick-ups burn out, 4 alternators go out, and the engine only lasted 70k in 30 months.

Check that the gas tank is venting correctly. It could be building a vacuum in the tank as you ride that will prevent gas flow.

Nico said:
Anyone ever heard anything like this happen to a trophy or any bike for that matter?

I would wonder if the vent host for the tank is blocked. After this 75 miles, when you open the gas cap is there an air rushing sound?? Does that fix the problem??

cheers,
Tom

Back