• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

New Section

Gilk51

Reaction score
First Name
Charles ("Chuck")
Last Name
Gibke
There wasn't an announcement but Richard's Texas Adventure Board is moving to this forum. Richard has organized dual sport rides in the central Texas area both formally and informally and has helped folks along by dragging them out onto unknown roads and showing them how to survive and have fun. Our own Claire (bobcat) has been under his mentorship.

Last year's Texas Adventure Ride 2007, based in Junction, was a terrific start for an annual event. Take a look at that event to get an idea of what to expect this year (bigger and better).

Also check out the "recon" ride here.

Richard's rides get :thumb: :thumb:

Last edited:
Richard's rides get :thumb: :thumb:

Now all we need is a DS loop around Texas. Actually a mapset of the best of the best riding through the panhandle, BB, the coast, national forest, and back along the Red River.

When I rode in Michigan, I purchased a mapset and guide book['bout 50 bucks]. It contained a route of 1200 miles. Although I only got to ride a few small sections, it was extremely valuable. The route was at least 80% public dirtroads and had every trail opportunity listed and rated for offroaders. It not only showed each entire trail system, but also the most logical route on the trails for somebody passing through via the main route. And to top it off, remote fuel stops, the best campgrounds, scenic areas, hospitals:eek2: , and even dealerships where provided.

Granted, the Michigan Trail has been refined over the years amongst many riders and their contributions, but I don't think it would be that difficult to put together a route here in Texas. Of course the only downside in my comparison is Mi. has way more public trail systems than Tx.:argh:

So what do you think Richard? How hard would this be? I would certainly contribute some routes and info from my neck of the woods. And I would definitely be interested in purchasing the best of the best from around the state.:rider:

Last edited:
thumper,

It's certainly an interesting idea. It would take a lot of collaboration plus a lot of work.

As for the best of the best, I'm currently writing a Texas dual sport ride guide that covers the Texas Hill Country, West Texas, and Big Bend. I hope to have it completed in the next month or so.

As for the best of the best, I'm currently writing a Texas dual sport ride guide that covers the Texas Hill Country, West Texas, and Big Bend. I hope to have it completed in the next month or so.

That would be interesting and for someone like me [with very limited free time] quite valuable.:sun:

Re: Thumper's idea of a DS guide for Texas....
It's certainly an interesting idea. It would take a lot of collaboration plus a lot of work.
It is an excellent idea. And would require much work in organizing, formatting, etc. Publishing is the least of the work.

However, with the number of DS and off-road riders on this forum, such a collaboration is possible if a group combines efforts to accumulate and collate road data and maps.

In fact, it could be presented as a scouting adventure. Riders document specific roads, mileage, waypoints, GPS data if available, and submit the data along with a map outlining the route. Then it's a matter of 'connect the dots,' so to speak, within regions.

This could be a TWT publication with profits dedicated to the forum.

It would be work, but not impossible.

It would be work, but not impossible.

I would be very interested in participating in scouting the best and also having access to the entire route. Not that I would ever have the time to ride it all at once, but I take long weekends all over Texas and usually waste time putzing around new areas [locked gates, private roads, and sometimes just lost...not really a waste entirely].

If you think of it, a rough draft is pretty much complete. It would just take the callaboration of certain riders giving up the goods:thumb: and making some notes of camping, dealers, fuel, and points of interest.

Well? Anyone else interested? With my writing/publishing background, I'm happy to serve on a coordinating committee and as a scout ;)
If others are interested, that is.

This was discussed tonight over ice cream. We all think it is a great idea. In fact, we may start scouting roads tomorrow. ;-) I'll take the Black Book to take notes. (now I'm really wishing I had a GPS.....)

I know several DS riders in this area whom I suspect would be happy to offer info and data on their favorite off-road routes.

Whatta y'all think?

At the very least, we could put together something for this area (a perimeter around DFW area).

Just a thought.... scouting could be done on a county by county basis. I know Tarrant has very few if any dirt roads left, so I could help in other counties. Do we want to include twisty blacktop ribbons too? I know a few of those still remain in my home county.

Just a thought.... scouting could be done on a county by county basis. ....... Do we want to include twisty blacktop ribbons too?
Good question. Since many resources already cover those (three books on mc'ing in Texas and Ride Texas periodical), that may be redundant. Conversely, no resource that I know of other than this forum provides info on off-road riding.

The only source close I know of is a book that covers Big Bend country despite that it is geared for ATV/4-wd vehicles. Off-road bikes can navigate most of the same roads. And it sounds like Richard is covering that area quite well.

Just a thought.... scouting could be done on a county by county basis. I know Tarrant has very few if any dirt roads left, so I could help in other counties. Do we want to include twisty blacktop ribbons too?

I think by county is an excellent idea and if blacktop is all there is...as long as it's the best DS route than that would do [IMO].

I also like the [Richard's] idea of basing comments around a 650 [the KLR in particular]. It's a bike that sets a gauge that anyone can understand.

Maybe if there was a sticky for scouting county by county, it would contain the following.

Only what you believe is truly the best route for DSing.

You must actually ride the route with a gpx.file submitted.

Descriptions are limited to data only [fuel, trails, camping, points of interest, road ratings, pics of highlights, etc.] One could also write a regular trip report for everyone.

Maybe a 100 or 200 mile minimum? You could run your favorite, shut down your tracking and fly back home via the super slab.

There might be a few routes covering the same area, but so what.The routes might become part of the big loop or part of a criss-cross. Maybe some tip-toeing into neighboring states could be allowed.

The main idea [IMO] is the data is quality DSing, accurate, and useful. If it were to be published such as Michigan, I would want nothing more than to purchase a copy of the best....well maybe a discount if I were a contributor.:rofl:

Last edited:
I know several DS riders in this area whom I suspect would be happy to offer info and data on their favorite off-road routes.

There are some guys in this neck of the woods who have some real gems[300/150, "big loop", and east of the pokey{Sir Lanced Alot}] Three guys already got it covered.:thumb: Yeah, we know who you are!:trust:

From Matagorda, all the way to La. is already known but an inland route stops just before Lufkin. I'd volunteer to run the known routes [with some others] and push on to Lake Sam. via the coast and inland. 'Course not in one weekend!:eek2:

Hmmm...Houston against Dallas...butt-whipping..cough..cough..eeh gadds lost my train of thought!:rofl: We're all on the same team!:lol2:

Last edited:
Some ideas can be gathered from this site/thread.

Pretty cool:drool: In Nov. I'm going to do a ride from SHNF to Toledo Bend and maybe beyond [something I've always wanted to do anyways]. There's lots good dirt and things to do in this section and I've never read of anyone riding around Lake Sam or Toledo Bend. The first ride would be a rough draft and I'd probably camp one night at Lake Sam.:rider:

I've been hitting some stuff in AR and MO, looks like I need to add TN to the list as well. :thumb:

Did this thread result in anything on paper and/or published? The '08 Junction DS ride was my first involvement and I'm ready for some more.

we're currently working on two different rides/events in the west texas area tentatively for fall of '09 - keep your fingers and toes crossed. since i've spent 30 years in the west texas oil fields working/riding/rving, from the big bend region, up to van horn, continuing to ruidoso, nm region, back over to amarillo/lubbock, and on to wichita falls, south past abilene to brownwood and again westward to ozona/ft. stockton, i figured it was about time i did a couple of them for the folks, maybe more in the future. i was deep into the classic jap bike event groups for over a decade, but i'm tired of the weight for loading, storage issues, two up 'tours,' insurance, etc. so keep tuned in, you'll be updated here first. from what i'm hearing from our various sites, i think d/s riding in texas is about to be huge (again) like when we were kids back in the day before the cruisers, racer wanna be's and poseurs took over from the 'family rides,' and riders...
it's about time.
jack b :-) in midland, tx usa

Jack B. in midland, keep us informed of the west texas ds ride, sounds interesting, i would come!!:rider:

I think by county is an excellent idea and if blacktop is all there is...as long as it's the best DS route than that would do [IMO].

I also like the [Richard's] idea of basing comments around a 650 [the KLR in particular]. It's a bike that sets a gauge that anyone can understand.

Maybe if there was a sticky for scouting county by county, it would contain the following.

Only what you believe is truly the best route for DSing.

You must actually ride the route with a gpx.file submitted.

Descriptions are limited to data only [fuel, trails, camping, points of interest, road ratings, pics of highlights, etc.] One could also write a regular trip report for everyone.

Maybe a 100 or 200 mile minimum? You could run your favorite, shut down your tracking and fly back home via the super slab.

There might be a few routes covering the same area, but so what.The routes might become part of the big loop or part of a criss-cross. Maybe some tip-toeing into neighboring states could be allowed.

The main idea [IMO] is the data is quality DSing, accurate, and useful. If it were to be published such as Michigan, I would want nothing more than to purchase a copy of the best....well maybe a discount if I were a contributor.:rofl:

I live in Fannin county, up on the red river. I would love to pitch in on the ds guide.we have some of the worst county roads in texas. lot of fun on a ds bike. let me know what I can do to help pitch in.

Jack B. in midland, keep us informed of the west texas ds ride, sounds interesting, i would come!!:rider:

a w. tx. update. we're working with several large oil companies to see if some acreage/roads/single tracks that we actually used for enduros and even a couple of wild scca cross-country events back in the 1973-1985 era could be opened up to us for some 'planned' events. we know some of the employees are d/sporters, so this should fly by next spring or summer. a real hoot here would be access to some amazing oil roads, which are basically caliche roads that've had oil tank bottoms dumped on them for decades. you won't believe the ride on those things! those are the roads i learned to ride both bikes and cars on. they're fantastic, plus they have adjunct caliche pits with amazing trails in and through them as well, plus connector trails used for the old enduros. that's where i learned my moto-x skills. some are pretty challenging. this is promising...

we've also got the d/s meet teaser ready to approach the city/county planners for a combo event - involving a compatible music festival (i've pm'd some of you on this already) - next year, just after labor day. i've already got all the (absolutely reliable) help rounded up for that one, which is the first of two events, which is 'sort of' near my hometown of crane, tx (who used to host the west texas enduro for hundreds of riders), with cross country/mountain/river crossings possible, and the second one is in the big bend area on roads nobody on this site has likely ever ridden. i'm pretty sure of that. i remember one enduro across some of it way back when, but that's about it.
we'll be doing lots of work on these things throughout the winter and spring, starting Thanksgiving weekend. we'll work the big bend (possible) event then and possibly Christmas, with the crane(ish) 'area' event's routes being looked at over the winter and spring, with help from the oil companies and ranchers involved. i'll post more when i have it, but things are looking up out this way.

jack b :-) in midland, tx usa

well, since i can't edit the thing... the first separat paragraph above, goes with the first part of the second. the big bend info. attached to the second paragraph is another event or meet entirely and isn't related to the rest of it. comprende?

well, i don't either. HA!

i'm jack b :-) and i sorta approve of this nonsense... sure wish i could edit.

Back