• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

Sam Houston Park adventure

Wasabi

Reaction score
My friend Tony and I have been to Huntsville twice to ride the trails at the Sam Houston National park. The first trip we were rained out. Tony has a Yamaha 03 TTR250 and I ride a 00 Kawasaki KLR650. We rode for seven hours and only totaled 34 miles. Lots of mud, sand, tree roots, and twisty trails. Looking forward to several more trips to the park as soon as it drys up.

Here are a few pics

RV and bikes, first trip

11994007-S.jpg

11993990-S.jpg

All the water crossings have bridges
11994004-S.jpg

A tree branch got wedged between my rear wheel and fender

11993992-S.jpg

The sand was a real challenge and I drop my bike several times.

11993997-S.jpg

We hooked up with an ATV rider, he has a wench, and nevers falls over in the sand :-D

11995781-S.jpg

Man that really makes me want to come out and play!! Dad has two ATV's just like the one in that last pic, winch and all. Let me know when you are coming down next time and maybe I'll get the ATV out to come play. They really are quite fun!

Adios,

Tourmeister said:
Man that really makes me want to come out and play!! Dad has two ATV's just like the one in that last pic, winch and all. Let me know when you are coming down next time and maybe I'll get the ATV out to come play. They really are quite fun!

Adios,

Scott,
I have an extra dirt bike for the time being that you could ride on sometime. I like going out there, but wont ride alone really. You know, it needs to be ridden now and then to keep it fresh. ;-) I really should focus on selling it again sometime soon. I guess I need to clean it up real pretty for that though.

Or you can keep it to take friends riding :roll: What I wouldn't give to go for a romp in the SHNF again.....

gotdurt said:
Or you can keep it to take friends riding :roll: What I wouldn't give to go for a romp in the SHNF again.....

Well, I would like to keep it but I really need to get rid of it and get something that anyone can ride from me to my dad who is 5' 8" or of course a buddy. If you like, we will have to go out riding while I have it.... or even after I get something else to take its place.

Bagwell said:
gotdurt said:

Well, I would like to keep it but I really need to get rid of it and get something that anyone can ride from me to my dad who is 5' 8" or of course a buddy. If you like, we will have to go out riding while I have it.... or even after I get something else to take its place.

What is "it"? Price?

I really need to get off my tush and finish tearing my KTM down and get it fixed, winter is halfway over already.....

Dyna Sport said:
I really need to get off my tush and finish tearing my KTM down and get it fixed, winter is halfway over already.....
Avoid the hassle and donate it to a good cause.... me.

Casey might qualify as a basket case, but definitely not a charity case :-P

LOL, well I got the seat, tank off, carb off, and realized I'll probably have to yank the motor and take it down to clean up the cylinder and crack the crankcase open if I want to fix the oil leak.

Then I have a charging system problem and a bad rear brake switch. And a proprietary battery that goes for $179.00 to fix.

This thing has less than 1000 miles on it, 100% in the most extreme offroad I could find and has only been down twice. Freakin fork seals are going bad sitting up like it is too.

When I moved to Dallas I gave all my tools to my brother, so now I'm not really set up that well for engine deconstruction, not to mention with 6 bikes and trailer in the garage I got zero room to work..

I'm hating this situation. I know a bill to get it back in shape from a shop would probably equal what it's worth to sell so that's right out.

Casey has some kind of strange understanding/attraction to bikes like this... ;-)

Adios,

gotdurt said:
Bagwell said:
gotdurt said:

What is "it"? Price?

It is a 1999 Kawasaki KLX300 in great condition that I am asking $2000 for.... or maybe an interesting trade. :)

I miss riding in the forest! I was looking pretty hard for a dual sport when I got my first street bike so I wouldn't have to miss out on the dirt, but I got such a good deal on my Interceptor I couldn't pass it up. Then later on I traded my Quadracer for a CR500 foolishly thinking I could someday tame the beast. :lol: I rode it a handful of times and had to part with it before I killed myself. Its departure allowed me to afford the VFR when the engine in my Interceptor 500 decided to spring a mysterious internal coolant leak. Now I sit and dream of riding the trails again. No speeding tickets in the woods, just big trees and sandy washouts to "tax" stupidity and/or squidly behavior. I miss it... :-(

Back