• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

Tom Beesely in ICU after track accident at Henderson

pub610

Reaction score
First Name
Bill
Last Name
Woodall
Re: Was anyone at Oak Hill in Henderson on Sunday?

The rider, Tom Beesley, is a long-time friend of mine. He's an old (should I say former?) motorcyle writer who rode and wrote lots of "press days" before he gave up on bikes and went to work in the newspaper business. He's been working at the Crowley Star; as far as I know he still works there.
Kind of a surprise... last I heard, Tom's hobby was sailing. His son, Jared, used to be a competitive motocross, cross-country, downhill bicycle racer. I didn't know any of the family was back on motorcycles, but apparently Jared was at Oak Hill when Tom went off turn 1.
Tom's at Mother Frances Hospital and, according to several reports, in pretty bad shape. I just found out about it this morning; will try to get over there this evening.
I'll post an update when one's available.

The rider, Tom Beesley, is a long-time friend of mine. He's an old (should I say former?) motorcyle writer who rode and wrote lots of "press days" before he gave up on bikes and went to work in the newspaper business. He's been working at the Crowley Star; as far as I know he still works there.
Kind of a surprise... last I heard, Tom's hobby was sailing. His son, Jared, used to be a competitive motocross, cross-country, downhill bicycle racer. I didn't know any of the family was back on motorcycles, but apparently Jared was at Oak Hill when Tom went off turn 1.
Tom's at Mother Frances Hospital and, according to several reports, in pretty bad shape. I just found out about it this morning; will try to get over there this evening.
I'll post an update when one's available.

Thank you. He is my uncle, and most of us are on bikes these days. Jared is learning the racing scene. My dad, Tom's brother was also at the track. Dad is staying in Tyler with Tom and I was there yesterday. He is in SICU and they are going to put in a trach so they can get the tubes out of his mouth.
We are wanting to know what caused him to turn off the track. He was not going very fast and I am thinking he had to have had some kind of medical or mechanical issue. I was wondering about the heat there Sunday, and if he could have gotten light headed or something to cause him to not be able to control the bike. He has raced many, many years and it seems to me like he was not able to take any action to correct his path or to break his fall.

Everyone's prayers will be greatly appreciated. At this point it is not looking to good, but we have high hopes. Since he is in ICU it is a family only thing, but if you decide to visit, i'm sure they would sneak you in as family. I think he would enjoy that. He is awake and alert.
Thanks for your reply. I appreciate it.
He needs his friends around him.

Janet

Janet, I'm really bummed out about this. I am going over after work this evening. Another friend of Tom's, the guy that told me this morning about Tom's wreck, is most likely going to meet me there.
BTW, I think I met your dad how-many-years ago (long time) at their dad's funeral in Lancaster.

Janet, I'm really bummed out about this. I am going over after work this evening. Another friend of Tom's, the guy that told me this morning about Tom's wreck, is most likely going to meet me there.
BTW, I think I met your dad how-many-years ago (long time) at their dad's funeral in Lancaster.

Thanks. I was there at Doc's funeral and I probably met you. I was in a fog and only remember that it was very cold that day.
I looked at the ICU visiting hours on the door while I was there yesterday and don't really remember them, but I know they kicked us out at noon. I believe then next one started at 2:30 or so and maybe one at 8.

Janet

My prayers and thought go out to Tom and his family.

Brent

Bill,

There have been some complications today and he is being sedated. They did not put in the trach. I don't think they will let you in today, but I'm sure Jared would like to talk to you if y'all still want to go this evening. Just a heads-up.

JR

Thanks, Janet. We'll go by and see Jared.

Janet and I may be the only folks on the TWT board who know Tom, but I want to offer an update for our motorcycle family.
Tom, who raced bikes a lot when he was younger, had just returned to the track when he was hurt last weekend. This was his second event. The family believes the left handlebar on his 250 broke while he was in the turn. The bar had been welded earlier and, his son says, there was some rust behind the weld. New bars were on order but it was the weekend and .... we've all been there.
The prognosis is grim.
Tom is a Vietnam vet and will have some GI benefits available to him. He will likely be moved at some point to a VA facility.
The main thing here is that Tom and his family will need a lot of prayer from a lot of people. The coming months will be difficult for Tom and they will be difficult for his wife, Sylvia, and their son, Jared, and other family members, including our own Janet.
Please be prayerful for them.

Tommy is gone. Thank you for all your prayrs.

Bill, if you would like to post more, please do.

Janet

Very sorry to hear this Janet.

Was it actually crash related injuries that caused his death? Or do they even know?

Very sorry to hear this Janet.

Was it actually crash related injuries that caused his death? Or do they even know?

Scott, it is a little involved to explain on here, but yes. If you would like to give me a call I would like to talk to you.

Janet
two one four eight oh three eight five five three.

:-( I'm so sorry to hear of your loss, Janet. Family and friends are in our thoughts.:pray:

Janet, I'll try to call Sat evening if that is okay. It is a bit late for most "normal" folks right onw ;-)

Janet, I'm so sorry to hear about your loss. You know that my thoughts are with you and your family.

Sad, very sad. Tom sounded like a pretty cool person to know. I wish I would have gotten the chance to meet him.

Janet,

As others have said, sorry to hear for your loss. You and your family will be in our prayers.

Janet, condolences and prayers for you, Jared and your extended family.

Tommy's funeral will be at Byrum's 425 N. Dallas Ave. Lancaster, TX on Thursday at 1:30.

Thanks all,
Janet

Back