• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

Bastrop & Buesher State Park

Reaction score
First Name
Harold
Last Name
Oates
On Oct. 8th I will be loading the Vee and leaving Silsbee for a camping/fishing trip out to Bastrop & Buesher State Park. The TP&W web site says they have good hiking and fishing but I thought I would ask does anyone have any experience with these parks? Which would be the best for tent camping and also any good MC rides and place to eat at around the parks?

I camped in Bastop SP last fall and was kind of disapointed. At that time the lake was almost dry. Even full, I think calling it a "lake" is a bit of a stretch, pond seems more appropriate to me. There are many hiking trails and it is a pretty area, if you like pine trees. Seems to me, if you are from Silsbee, you would be sick of looking at pine trees. Head a little farther west and you will be in the hill country, which is of course very different from Silsbee.

Thanks Big Bandit that the info I am looking for, I may just take your advice and go farther west, nothing in stone at this time.

Buesher State Park has several nice camping spots, and the lake in the park was to level 3 weeks ago. Bank fishing is OK and I have done my share of "feeding the fish" also. Very nice ride between the 2 parks. If you want Bastrop Lake is a short ride up from Bastrop State Park, it is a power plant lake much like Fayette County. Across the rode from Bastrop Park is the Roadhouse, great burger joint. You cant go wrong with a trip to these 3 parks. Plenty of good eats all around.

Buescher, and Bastrop State Park Lakes are full. They are stocked with channel cats practically every year. Buescher is larger and is a better bass lake than Bastrop. Bastrop Reservoir, which is just on the other side of hwy 21, has two large parks (north shore and south shore). I think the south shore park has camping (check the LCRA web site). Its owned by the LCRA. It is 900 acres in size and is the best bass fishing lake in the area. It has a 14-21 inch slot length limit and is chocked full of 2 to 4 lb bass. Both parks have decent shoreline access but a boat would be best on the Bastrop Reservoir. Fish the weedline edges with plastics and soft jerk baits (flukes) early and late in the day. This time of year, night fishing with buzz baits is awesome.

I was the fisheries manager of these lakes for 10 years. They are great lakes. All these lakes are in the Lost Pines Ecological area. If you like the piney woods of E. Texas, you will like this area. You don't need a fishing license if you fish in Bastrop or Busescher State Park Lakes. You will if you fish Bastrop Reservoir.

stocking for smaller lakes

Ditto what Cyclecat said about the road connecting the two parks. Very pretty ride!

I had a great time riding and camping in Buescher/Bastrop State Park. The trip was about 215 miles long from Silsbee to the park and took 6hrs. I spent 2 night camping at the Lakeview camp area in Buescher park. I did some hiking and fishing and actual caught a few small bass. I did ride and PR1C between the parks, it was a great ride. The road had just enough traffic and deer on the road to keep me honest. I am thinking for Nov. about camping at Enchanted Rock, will see. Thanks to all that replied. Harold

Attachments

• 11.jpg
    11.jpg
    114.1 KB · Views: 186
Back