• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

EFI Mapping (V-Strom)

Reaction score
First Name
JD
Last Name
Evans
For my preference the stock EFI mapping of my V-strom left plenty of room for improvement. The primary goal of modifying the EFI mapping was to improve the throttle response. I have read postings where modifying the EFI improved gas mileage and allowed the bike to operate smoothly at sub-3000 RPMs.

While deployed to Iraq I spent a lot of hours surfing the WEB and talking with other bike enthusiast who were counting down the days until we could get home and ride. I learned of a performance shop called AF1Racing (af1racing.com) that is the Aprilia dealer in New Braunfels.

I had originally envisioned that a Power Commander would be used, and toyed with the idea of adding carbon fiber slip-ons. The shop recommended a TEKA module for modifying the EFI mapping and a set of Leo Vince slip-ons, and recommended against carbon fiber for my application as it can become brittle when regularly subjected to UV light. Since my bike is a daily commuter and sits in the sun Monday thru Friday, and I plan on keeping the Strom for a long while, I opted for the stainless.

The new EFI Mapping delivers smooth, "linear" throttle response that is akin to the action of a rheostat/dimmer switch for a light fixture. I can best describe it as silky smooth power. The new exhaust delivers a more "soulful" note that is not particularly loud, but sounds healthy. The Leo Vince pipes came with two different core inserts for controlling sound. One set of core is +3db (twice the decibels) as the other. I wanted the cores that would give me the best dyno numbers for low to mid-range power. These were the louder of the two sets. My neighbor's Harley still sounds much louder when blipping the throttle, and the "loud pipes saves lives" is not applicable unless I really grab a handful of throttle and twist. While not as stealthy as the OEM pipes, I am not worried about being deemed the resident hooligan as I can enter and exit the neighborhood with out waking the sleeping babies or being greeted by barking dogs. Scientifically tried to test the decibel level and set off a few car alarms. No such luck. My reputation as Mr Responsibility will remain intact.

The current mods added 9 foot pounds of torque and 7 hp. The real benefit is how the bike runs. Previously it was tough to lope along at anything under 3K rpm. Now I can get it to pull steady from a basement like 2K rpm. No longer does the power dramatically drop off when I crest 7k rpm. Over-all the stock EFI mapping was very rich. At some RPMs the fuel delivery during the dyno tune was cut back by 70%. The assistance I received from AF1Racing was superb, as their recommendations were cost effective while delivering a much more enjoyable machine.

The TEKA module was $110 dollars installed, and the dyno tune was $250. The process was conducted over a three day period to ensure the EFI mapping was "dialed-in", and smooth operation at normal temperature and cold starts.

A BMC air filter was installed as part of the service performed by the dealer to get the bike ready for my return from the sandbox.

Was this on a 1000 or 650? I have noticed that my 650 does not like to putt through town at sub 40mph speeds without jerking back and forth a bit on constant throttle. Not a problem, just mildly annoying.

Hmmmm, TEKA module??? Link to it? I'm actually really interested in this as well. My 1k doesn't like to be below 3k at all.... even between 3-4k is kinda rough.

I have the 1000. While I opted to go with slip-ons, I have read other postings that benefited just from the re-mapping. My Strom would often stall or hesitate when down shifting from 2nd to 1st and got wheezy above 7K rpm. Similar to Tourmeister's comments, running the bike would "chug" below 4K RPMs when attempting to accelerate.

When I search for TEKA it seems to be geared towards the Suzuki folks. I did find TEKA references to Kawasaki, but I have yet to find a TEKA FI page.

Micah at AF1 knows his stuff with dyno room tuning, and he will take on just about any tuning project. He is one of the few in Texas that actually "understands" all the variables when fuel injection, cam timing and air and exhaust flow are involved. AF1 uses an "Eddy current" dyno which gives more realistic readings than a typical Dynojet unit ( which have several programable HP/Torque level sttings )
here is a "whats in the shop" thread he updates regurlarly:
http://www.apriliaforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=87119

I need to do this with my Six Fiddy - it has a Power Commander but the map is the default...

Hmmmm... :ponder:

A strom tuning party?

Tech Day in Canton at the end of this month. I still don't know if I will do that or the Pie Run or two other things that are happening that weekend. :giveup:

I need to do valves but not sure if I want to tackle it that weekend. However, that Saturday is a good day for electrical farkles...

However, I don't think Howard has a dyno... :roll:

Yeah, October is a BUSY month in Texas for motorcycling :lol2:

Back