• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

Fall Color Tour 2007 Mini Report

Reaction score
First Name
Rich
Last Name
Simmons
Went here this weekend with some fellow TWT'ers to do some dual sporting:

http://www.ozarkdualsport.com/

Our little group from Texas, included. 3 KLR's, 2 TW200's and 2 GS650's.

Linda went with me. We visited 3 Winery's on the way up near Altus, Arkansas, and Linda went antique shopping with a buddy of mine's wife during the day.

The fall colors were bad this year. It hasn't been cold enough up there yet.

The riding was great both on the blacktop and on the dirt roads. I am amazed at how well the KLR handles on blacktop with knobbies on it.

Our hotel in Clarksville was at about 400 feet. Most of the riding we did was between 1800 and 2500 feet. You could ride for years up there and never hit all of the dirt roads and 4 -wheeler trails. There were about 75 riders this year and it looked like everyone was having a great ride. I had just under 300 miles for 2 days of riding. Unlike riding in Texas, there were no bump gates, regular gates or fences that needed to be opened and closed. Just miles and miles of dirt roads and 4- wheeler trails with great scenery.

I picked a bad line through a mud hole on Friday. From the looks of the aftermath, it looks like it was almost disasterous. I knew the mud hole was deep because I almost got stuck and the muffler was under water coming out of the mud hole. Glad I had full knobbies on.

When I was servicing the bike and changing the wheels out when we got home, I found a mess in the airbox. I forgot to take a picture of the air filter, but it had so much mud on it that I am surprised the bike still ran. Both drains in the air box were clogged with dried mud, which meant one more deep mud hole or water crossing and I probably would have filled the motor with water. That said, the bike never missed a beat all weekend.

Air box photo:

For a slide show of all the photos:

http://rides.webshots.com/slideshow/561211708EodkbN

Also click on the link below, then click "HYBRID", then zoom out to get an idea of the geography of the land.

http://maps.google.com/maps?q=catal...osoft:en-US&ie=UTF-8&oe=utf8&um=1&sa=N&tab=wl

I can't speak for everyone else, but I had a great time again this year. Mr. Lemke does a great job with organizing a "non-event".

I would highly recommend this area for anyone looking to do some dual sporting or street riding.

Good to hear this was still going on,was kinda wondering.Sounds like fun.

Maybe next year??

Great slideshow:clap: Thanks for sharing!

I was expecting someone to say it was cold. What were the temps like?

That is why I gave the answer I did!:rofl:

I wore my heated liner on Friday. On fast roads I had it turned on. On the real technical stuff I had it off as I was sweating a lot from being on the heavy KLR.

It was in the 50's on Thursday and Friday. Saturday it started out in the low 40's and got to around 70 in the afternoon.

Be careful with the mud holes on the FS and 4-wheeler trails. Seems the 4x4 guys delight in parking the rear axle in a wet spot, shifting to 2wd, and slinging mud everywhere. Then they shift to 4x4 and drive out, leaving deep holes behind. Word is to always go around mud holes, not through them.

Hey guys, I just signed up here, but my brother and I parked next to you guys saturday evening. We were in the gray GMC pickup and had a dirty XRL and a DRZ.... i asked a couple questions about the TWs.

Nice to meet yall.

Welcome to the site. TWs are odd little critters. Cute, too. (At least Curtis's KLR thinks so. :rofl: )

Here are some pics:

Dail teaching the youngsters how to change a flat.

Which way?

Still can't decide.

See, Dail, it really did happen!

Lost in the woods.

The place for pie.

Rich is happy at the sight of caramel apple crisp pie with chocolate chip ice cream.
Yum

T-dub had 712 miles at the beginning of our first ride, the Wednesday before Thanksgiving, 2006. Her she rolls over 20,712 miles 11 months later in Arkansas. We get around.

Okay, IDR, here's a pic of you to go with those you took of us. Post 'em up!
Here's T-dub after her bath in the river. Don, where's my money?

Welcome to the site. TWs are odd little critters. Cute, too. (At least Curtis's KLR thinks so. :rofl: )

Here are some pics:

Too bad those big fat tires arent a little more square...:clap: :rider:
2004565772495716045_fs.jpg

I had a couple of those moments that weekend.... as did alot of people:lol2:

Make sure you read the last paragraph

So after all that you think GOD must ride a KLR?:huh:

Ed and I had the opportunity to meet Big Dog saturday evening while we were waiting for Dail to go to the Winery. He said then that his KLR was his favorite and to look at it he had put plenty of miles in its saddle.

He writes a good ride review too.

So after all that you think GOD must ride a KLR?:huh:

God gets to ride every bike!:rofl:

I checked out his KLR pretty closely at the Hotel. I think it had 33K, and by the looks of it, mostly dirt miles.

Back