PDA

View Full Version : Suzuki Bandit 1250 Sub-Thread: Tires

Pages : [1] 2 3 4

PhilS
11-04-2007, 06:04 PM
Hello all:

In an effort to start breaking things out from the main "monster thread", if I'm allowed to, I would like to start one on tires. This way, we do not need to search through the main thread to get to the point :clap:

Most of the 1250 Bandit guys are at 3000 to 5000 miles or so and tires have started to come up - among other hot topics.

I have stock tires. My front is starting to show a flat center section and the rear is showing the same just bigger. I have 2500 miles on them and plan on gettign rid of them and getting the Michelin Road Pilot 2's. I have not ridden Road Pilot's, but I am hearing great things about them. For now, I can't seem to find RP2's, but, I don't need them until next Spring. I mainly ride 1-up mild twistie country roads - no peg scraping at all.

What are you guys doing and why?

Also, is this a good idea to start breaking out threads into sub-catagories?

GregH
11-04-2007, 06:32 PM
...is this a good idea to start breaking out threads into sub-catagories?
As long as we're getting good info it's a good idea.

My tires are still good with 3300 miles. I'm sure I'll have to replace them by next spring as well, though.

treybrad
11-05-2007, 09:47 AM
Replaced mine at 3,880mi. Could've gotten a few hundred more probably, but had new RoadAttacks sitting there ready to mount so off they went.

70% of the mileage was commuting, up and down 183. Took a few 300mi weekend jaunts into the hill country, but even then it's not like I'm dragging peg... I watch my tire pressure closely, ran them at the suggested 38/42, or maybe even a lb or two higher. Very little 2-up riding.

There was lots of meat on the sides of the rear tire, but the middle had flat spotted pretty bad thanks to all the commuting and maybe a heavy wrist at times as well.. The front looked to be in good shape, but I figured I'd just swap it out while I was at it.

Very happy with the Conti RoadAttacks. I'm at about 5,500mi or so now, so I've put about 1,600mi on them. They grip well, hold pressure very well, I haven't had to add air in about 3 weeks, and look cool as a bonus. They seem to be wearing better than the Dunlops, I hope to get twice the mileage or better from these.

trey

GregH
11-05-2007, 09:53 AM
Trey,
What did the Conti's cost? Did you mount them yourself or have a shop do it? How hard is it to mount bike tires?

KY Geezeer
11-05-2007, 11:16 AM
GregH, I've mounted tires on spoked rims and while I think it's a "bear" of a job it can be done (I usually wind up pinching at least one tube when I do it) I'd definitely recommend taking the tubeless rims to the shop. Also they can balance them at the same time with a lot less hassle. My $.02 worth.

treybrad
11-05-2007, 12:09 PM
Trey,
What did the Conti's cost? Did you mount them yourself or have a shop do it? How hard is it to mount bike tires?

Cost was right around $150 for the rear and $120 for the front from CycleGear. That was within $5 of online prices, so I figured I just order them there. They mounted them for $20/ea, which I thought was pretty high since I bought them there, but it's $30/ea if you buy them elsewhere so, eh.

I like the tires, but I'll never let CycleGear get anywhere near my wheels again. They scratched up the rims in a few places... not what I was expecting for $20 a wheel. Lesson learned I guess...

trey

GregH
11-05-2007, 01:31 PM
Thanks for the report. I'll stay away from them.
FYI, the Suzuki dealer quoted me $230 installed for just the rear tire! :eek2:

PhilS
11-05-2007, 09:36 PM
As I said, I am looking at the Mich RP2's. Don't know where I'm gonna get 'em yet, but, my dealer said they would mount them on the bike for $120 total. So I am in for $300 for the tires shipped to me from God knows where, plus $120 for the dealer to take off, mount, balance, and put back on - $420 OTD. I figure it's worth it to me to NOT remove them, balance the bike without wheels on the center stand, transport the tires to and from, and remount and adjust chain.

windman
11-05-2007, 10:29 PM
After being true the original Dunlop D218 after 4000 miles I installed Bridgestone BT021 front and rear. So far over 6000 miles on them and still good for probably another 1500 miles (on the rear one).

The rear one is made of 2 different compound. Hard in the middle and soft on the sides. They hold good but need to be warm-up a bit before the hang like the D218.

I might go for the Pilot Road 2 also next spring...or maybe a Metzeller set.

A1A
11-06-2007, 07:44 AM
Is that what the (2) stands for with the Pilot Road 2 tire. Two different tire compounds?

:rider:

PhilS
11-06-2007, 11:50 AM
Is that what the (2) stands for with the Pilot Road 2 tire. Two different tire compounds?

All Michelin told me was that this is the second generation of PR's. I've never had PR's before so I couldn't tell you the difference from the 1's to the 2's.

Here is the link:

http://two-wheels.michelin.com/2w/front/affich.jsp?codeRubrique=2092004104045&codePage=2092004104045_13032007105938&lang=EN

Doons
11-06-2007, 01:40 PM
I'm not currently riding a Bandit but have had three of them (97, 00 and 03). Been through many tires as each was around 30K miles when I went to the next one. The tire I liked the best was the Metzler Z6. Good grip wet or dry, quite and decent mileage. Only complaint was the lack of a wear indicator in the middle of the rear tire. Hard to tell when it is used up and when it starts to go, it goes in a hurry.

treybrad
11-06-2007, 01:54 PM
I'm not currently riding a Bandit but have had three of them (97, 00 and 03). Been through many tires as each was around 30K miles when I went to the next one. The tire I liked the best was the Metzler Z6. Good grip wet or dry, quite and decent mileage. Only complaint was the lack of a wear indicator in the middle of the rear tire. Hard to tell when it is used up and when it starts to go, it goes in a hurry.

Me too. Had one on my SV and the lack of a wear bar drove me crazy. Good tire, gripped well enough, didn't square off too badly either. I just became paranoid when leaving for a 500+ mile weekend once the tire was a little worn...

trey

windman
11-06-2007, 07:11 PM

As per Michelin for Pilot Road:

Heat, rain, cold – in virtually any conditions, the Michelin Pilot Road and its 100% silica-charged tread compound won’t let weather get in the way of your ride. The front tire’s rounded profile offers progressive steering response, and the advanced casing design tackles rough roads easily. The Michelin Pilot Road strikes the ideal balance between tread life and performance, while affording an exceptional quality/price ratio. It’s the ideal tire for your Fazer, Bandit or VFR.

and Pilot Road2

The ideal balance Independent tests confirm the Pilot Road 2 offers better wet grip and longer tread life than any of its competitors. How did Michelin incorporate these two contradictory traits in one tyre? MotoGP-derived 2CT technology makes it possible, using two distinct rubber compounds to achieve what was once thought impossible.

windman
11-06-2007, 07:12 PM

As per Michelin for Pilot Road:

* Remarkable wet grip
* Unsurpassed high-speed stability

Heat, rain, cold in virtually any conditions, the Michelin Pilot Road and its 100% silica-charged tread compound wont let weather get in the way of your ride. The front tires rounded profile offers progressive steering response, and the advanced casing design tackles rough roads easily. The Michelin Pilot Road strikes the ideal balance between tread life and performance, while affording an exceptional quality/price ratio. Its the ideal tire for your Fazer, Bandit or VFR.

and Pilot Road2

The ideal balance Independent tests confirm the Pilot Road 2 offers better wet grip and longer tread life than any of its competitors. How did Michelin incorporate these two contradictory traits in one tyre? MotoGP-derived 2CT technology makes it possible, using two distinct rubber compounds to achieve what was once thought impossible.

A1A
11-06-2007, 10:16 PM
Thanks windman and PhilS,

I was thinking that was probably a dual compound on the PR-2's. I believe it must have a hard compound center for wear and softer compound sides for handling in the corners. All thanks to MotoGP!
Sounds like the best of both worlds to me.

TWTourist
11-07-2007, 02:56 PM
My original Dunlop D218 got changed out at 4500 miles with a set of D208 that Cycle Gear had on sale for 149.00 for the set.

I have less then 400 miles on the D208 and have had to plug the rear tire.:doh: I will test my plug job for now.

My next set will be the Pilot Road CT2. I have use the Pilot Road on my old Bandit and my FJR with great luck. They handled the wet and dry condition with no trouble and leasted about 8,000 miles on either bike. I'm hopeing for even better results from the Pilot Road CT2. Cycle Gear had them in stock at a good price the last time I was there.

GregH
11-08-2007, 05:27 PM
Canyon Chasers wrote a good review of the Continental Road Attacks (http://www.canyonchasers.net/reviews/accessories/road-attack.php).
Essentially they said the tires are great and they were getting 6000-7000 miles out of the rear tire.

Brass
11-12-2007, 09:18 PM
I know that a big can of worms is opened up at the mention of tires but here we are anyway.

Whirrrrrr.....

Has anyone mounted a set of Dunlop D616 on any bike? Riding around the west coast and in the mountains, rain becomes an issue. The D616 looked like a good choice.

Roy
11-14-2007, 04:25 PM
I have been real happy with the Michelin Pilot Powers. Excellent grip!! so far the rear is wearing okay, looking at maybe 4k on the rear,,,,I hope:rider:

Not real expensive at $239.95 to my house from www.sportbiketrackgear.com excellent service from these guys in the past. Fast and prompt shipping. A rear alone is about $146.

wczimmerman
11-14-2007, 04:53 PM
I would HIGHLY recommend the Avon Storm ST's. I have them on my SV1K right now and they out perform (in my opinion) the Z6's in terms of mileage and the Conti Road Attacks in terms on wet grip. You also get a "road hazard" warranty with the tires to boot!

A1A
11-16-2007, 10:24 PM
As I said, I am looking at the Mich RP2's. Don't know where I'm gonna get 'em yet, but, my dealer said they would mount them on the bike for $120 total. So I am in for $300 for the tires shipped to me from God knows where, plus $120 for the dealer to take off, mount, balance, and put back on - $420 OTD. I figure it's worth it to me to NOT remove them, balance the bike without wheels on the center stand, transport the tires to and from, and remount and adjust chain.

PhilS,

This might be worth a try for you. I find the best deal including shipping on the net. I present this information to my Dealer and see if they can match the price. In addition by buying the tires through my Dealer. They will usually knock off some on the mounting, balance and install on the bike.
Check out http://www.swmototires.com
I've not bought from them but heard good things. Like free shipping if buying two or more tires from them.

HTH's

db
11-17-2007, 06:53 AM
PhilS, [snip]

Check out http://www.swmototires.com
I've not bought from them but heard good things. Like free shipping if buying two or more tires from them.

HTH's

I've had very good service from SW Moto and had free shipping on 2 or more tires. I think that is their standard shipping deal and they get tires to your door fast!:rider: :clap:

A1A
11-17-2007, 09:43 PM
I've not bought from these guys either, but prices seem reasonable. Also I like the condensed manufactures tire information.
http://www.americanmototire.com

:pirate:

GregH
11-18-2007, 12:46 PM
I would HIGHLY recommend the Avon Storm ST's....[better than] Conti Road Attacks in terms on wet grip.

Zimmerman,
Have you ridden the Conti's? (The Bandit is my first bike in a long time and I'm still on the original tires.)

Thanks,
Greg

wczimmerman
11-18-2007, 04:12 PM
Zimmerman,
Have you ridden the Conti's? (The Bandit is my first bike in a long time and I'm still on the original tires.)

Thanks,
Greg

Yes, I rode on the Conti Road Attacks and the Sport Attacks. Both had good dry grip and mediocre tire life (the Z6's and Storm ST's lasting longer) but their wet/damp grip was poor in my opinion.

GregH
11-18-2007, 08:20 PM
...but their wet/damp grip was poor in my opinion.
Thanks for the warning.

A1A
11-18-2007, 09:42 PM
I would HIGHLY recommend the Avon Storm ST's. I have them on my SV1K right now and they out perform (in my opinion) the Z6's in terms of mileage and the Conti Road Attacks in terms on wet grip. You also get a "road hazard" warranty with the tires to boot!

Just curious how many miles you got out of the Avon Storm ST's? I imagine they take a little while to warm up the tires, right? Any tire noise from them while riding?

Thanks in advance!

GregH
11-18-2007, 09:45 PM
I imagine they take a little while to warm up the tires, right?
What would cause them to take time to warm up?

wczimmerman
11-18-2007, 10:20 PM
Just curious how many miles you got out of the Avon Storm ST's? I imagine they take a little while to warm up the tires, right? Any tire noise from them while riding?

Thanks in advance!

At this point, it looks like I'll probably get 8K+ out of the rear tire, and that includes a track day on them! They seem to grip from the start although I've not tested them after a short-short ride to see how warm they've gotten. These are the tires I'll be running on my SV and my wife's 919 for quite some time.

A1A
11-18-2007, 10:53 PM
What would cause them to take time to warm up?

A harder rubber compound tire takes a few miles to reach optimum operating temperture. When compared to a softer tire compound which heats up to optimum temperture quicker.
Harder compound tires generally get better/longer mileage. But sacrifice handling in the twistys.
Thats why most tire manufactures are going to the dual compound technology.
Harder rubber compound in the center of the tire and softer compound on the tire sides.

HTH's

A1A
11-18-2007, 11:04 PM
At this point, it looks like I'll probably get 8K+ out of the rear tire, and that includes a track day on them! They seem to grip from the start although I've not tested them after a short-short ride to see how warm they've gotten. These are the tires I'll be running on my SV and my wife's 919 for quite some time.

Thanks again wczimmerman,
This sounds like a pretty good tire. You know its like having your cake and also being able to eat it. I don't think the bandit at 496lbs dry weight will get the 8000 miles you'll get with 410lbs. dry weight SV1000. But it should get considerably better than the stock Dunlop 218's. Actually I like the handling of the 218 tires, but think they will wear out to soon for me.

GregH
11-19-2007, 09:39 AM
...Actually I like the handling of the 218 tires, but think they will wear out to soon for me.
Maybe you need to ease off of that throttle there, speedy! :rider:

A1A
11-19-2007, 12:21 PM
Maybe you need to ease off of that throttle there, speedy! :rider:

Yep, your probably right, but thats no fun.:-P

:pirate: :flip:

A1A
11-19-2007, 10:47 PM
wczimmerman, the more I read about the Avon Storm ST tires. The more convinced this will be my next tire of choice.:thumb:
Here is a link if anyone is interested.
http://www.avon-tyres.co.uk/motorcycle

Noise Most Beautiful
12-11-2007, 07:32 PM
I have right at 6500mi. on my 1250 as it sits here. Still have the Dunlop 218, (sportmax I believe?) stocker that came on the front, it's has worn fantasticly and given good grip, in fact it still has a bit of tread if I needed to push it. The rear is a different matter. Under a dealer suggestion (not my local, mind you) I mounted a Conti Sport Attack after a puncture turned my factory Dunlop into a casualty. The tire was of the stock size and was mounted up professional style and the chain was brought back to proper adjustment. As it sits here, just right at 3000mi. (or a little less:doh: ) later, I am sad to report I'm down to the steel all the way around. Upon morning pre-ride no bands were visable. I did manage to get in 300mi. of beautiful warm December day riding in since that inspection. I suppose the tire had handled well enough, fair turning traction and ok in the wet, but the lifespan was not what I was hoping for. I have personally seen 15,000 safe miles put on a set of Metz's on Dad's old cruiser. I know this is too much to expect from a set of sport tubeless tires but I am wanting more distance from my next set. I'm scheduled to have a set of Metz's shod on my Natasha (bandit's name) tomorrow, and I'll report back of their performance once properly broken in and ridden on. Those Road Pilot 2's were my other choice, currently back-ordered locally, but I have had good luck with the Mich-Man in the past. Safe rides everyone!

Noise Most Beautiful
12-15-2007, 03:50 PM
We ended up finding Road Pilot 2's at the dealer on sale no less! The only catch was I ended up having to mount the 90 size rear (slightly larger than stock) instead of the factory size. So far in 120 miles they seem to be giving really good grip, thanks due in some part to the one size larger rear. I can't speak for wear until I get about 1000mi. on the clock, but I will report. To be fair I guess those Metz's will have to be the next set I shoe. It's raining today, when the worst of it lets up, I'm going to test them out in the moist.

PhilS
12-15-2007, 06:49 PM
[QUOTE=Noise Most Beautiful;337131]We ended up finding Road Pilot 2's at the dealer on sale no less! The only catch was I ended up having to mount the 90 size rear (slightly larger than stock) instead of the factory size. QUOTE]

Can you take a MPH reading on GPS or clocked by laser/radar and see if the 90 size tire fixes or changes the speedo reading error? Also, does it fit real nice and there are no clearance issues anywhere I assume?

Phil

Noise Most Beautiful
12-16-2007, 04:14 AM
"Also, does it fit real nice and there are no clearance issues anywhere I assume?"

It fits just like the stocker... I can't see anywhere it comes close to rubbing, even under load or handling conditions. Looks pretty good, not as scary as a full on wide racing rear tire, but somewhere in between skinny and scary.

PhilS
12-16-2007, 06:59 AM
"Also, does it fit real nice and there are no clearance issues anywhere I assume?"

It fits just like the stocker... I can't see anywhere it comes close to rubbing, even under load or handling conditions. Looks pretty good, not as scary as a full on wide racing rear tire, but somewhere in between skinny and scary.

Thanks - speedo changed??

Noise Most Beautiful
12-17-2007, 01:03 AM
There was no need to change. I should have been more accurate in my first post. The 190 was width of tire and not height of tire. (Stock is close at 180) Calabrations are accurate as stock. Just a slight bit more ribbon on the contact patch out back. Seems to turn in good and stick well too. Winter is definately here, low 20's tonight in my neck of the woods, cuts into the riding comfort some :eek2: :lol2:

FatalException0E
12-17-2007, 07:03 AM
Just wondering...anyone ever heard of Shinko tires? It looks like some super-cheap brand out of China or somewhere. As low as the prices are, I have to wonder if they're worth at least throwing on until I can afford something better. Oh well, the Bandit's tires still look pretty good, so maybe I just need to start saving now.

A1A
12-17-2007, 08:17 AM
Just wondering...anyone ever heard of Shinko tires? It looks like some super-cheap brand out of China or somewhere. As low as the prices are, I have to wonder if they're worth at least throwing on until I can afford something better. Oh well, the Bandit's tires still look pretty good, so maybe I just need to start saving now.

I think that's the tire most people use for drag racing there Busa's. Cheap means they wear real quick though. But there good enough for a few passes down the strip. For the straight line racing crowd.
If I offended anybody who uses this tire. There was no real intent to do so.

treybrad
12-17-2007, 02:08 PM
I think that's the tire most people use for drag racing there Busa's. Cheap means they wear real quick though. But there good enough for a few passes down the strip. For the straight line racing crowd.
If I offended anybody who uses this tire. There was no real intent to do so.

Not exactly. They do make some good cheap tires for chewing up at the drag strip, but the 009 "Raven" is supposed to be a good ST tire. I almost got one instead of my RoadAttack, but didn't. It may very well be my next tire though. Search this forum and others, it's not a bad option for a commuter who is putting on a lot of miles.

trey

Roy
12-18-2007, 12:24 PM
My Michelin Pilot Powers are holding up good and they handle oh so good.:rider:

1500 smiles on them. :mrgreen:

suzukijo
12-19-2007, 01:55 PM
Pirelli Diablo Rosso. link to tire test here
http://www.motorcycledaily.com/18december07_pirelli_diablo_rosso.htm

hey, they even mentioned its intended use could be the UJM Bandit!

curious to know if anyone has tried one, looks like it may be my next tire after the michelins pilot road wear out.

MetrickMetal
12-19-2007, 04:23 PM
I've not bought from these guys either, but prices seem reasonable. Also I like the condensed manufactures tire information.

I've purchased tires from them, and they ship pretty fast.

bones
12-24-2007, 01:15 PM
I run Pilot Powers on my VFR and so far they are a real nice tire. Wear is decent. I am going to put BT-21's on the Bandit once I get it and see what the current tires look like.

flickmeister
12-27-2007, 09:32 AM
I've had a blast playing in the twisty stuff on my new 1250, but you pay to play. The wear bars are about to break through with 800 miles on the rear tire(no burnouts or wheelies either). I'll be lucky to get 1200 miles out of it. I also hear good things about it's gas mileage, but when playing hard in the corners, I'm getting 29-32 MPG, averaging 34 MPG. So far, my high mileage tank is 37.8. If this thing wasn't so much fun to toss around on the backroads, I'm sure these figures would be substantially better, but she's way too much fun to behave on.

I've had terrific results with the Pirelli Corsa IIIs on my '06 Gixxer thou'. Their traction and feedback are second to none. I get 2500 miles to a rear tire. That's pretty good for me. They'll be goin' on next. Stay tuned tuned. Cheers, Jack

Noise Most Beautiful
12-31-2007, 09:05 PM
hey flickmeister. I've noticed similar phenom's going on with commuting in some circumstances. If you think about it. Hard stops, (and when required) hard starts, road debris, sharp turns, road heat from other vehicles, ect., can really take a toll on tires. When the commuter moons are in the fifth house I get near 50mpg, all other situations I get nearer 40mpg. Which all things considered, is not bad. Camping and commuting I keep the tach under 4500rpm. On twisties, unloaded, well, bets are then off. Tires get stickier and gas mileage drops with the degree of road pleasure. :trust: So far, the Pilot Road 2's are golden with a couple hundred miles on them. I have the 190/55 rear and I can feel a snip more grip. (180 stock) Great machine. (1250 ABS)

PhilS
12-31-2007, 09:09 PM
So, reading through this entire thread, I have come up with this summary:

Places to buy - you can bet there are a million more.
http://www.swmototires.com
http://www.sportbiketrackgear.com
http://www.ronayers.com

* Original Dunlaps are not wearing very well.
* Conti Road Attacks wore well and were well liked. About $270. One person only saw 3000 on the rear and it was gone.
* Bridgestone BT021 also a good high mileage well liked tire.
* Michelin Pilot Road 2, although more money than the Pilot Road 1, they are a dual compound and expected to be a high mileage tire.
* Michelin Pilot Power was a great choice, but maybe only 4000 on the rear. $240 shipped to your door.
* Michelin Pilot Power 2CT is also on the list - I would guess for those looking for high lean angles.
* Metzler Z6 was liked, but needed a wear guage on the tire.
* Avon Storm St's got a very high recommendation outperforming the Attacks and the Z6.
* Pirelli Diablo Rosso came up - which may be the route I take being a Pirelli fan anyway. I believe these are new and are a dual compund tire.
* Pirelli Diablo Corsa III's came up and were liked.

That's all - just one guy's summary of this thread so far.

suzukijo
01-01-2008, 01:22 PM
* Pirelli Diablo Rosso came up - which may be the route I take being a Pirelli fan anyway. I believe these are new and are a dual compund tire.

test rider for this article was Willy Ivins, he personally suggested these for the bandit, and in the article it says a typical application is the UJM (suzuki Bandit).

Noise Most Beautiful
01-01-2008, 06:37 PM
That's a really nice review. One of the hosts in the article echos what I was trying to explain (much, much more elequently) about the rigors that are placed on street tires by everyday types of riding.

PhilS
01-01-2008, 07:51 PM
I am ready to place on order for the Pirelli Diablo Rosso's. I found them Buymoto.com for $273 shipped to my door. This appears to be a new tire and not everyone is carrying it yet.

Anyone else looking for these and found a better shipped price?

Phil

PhilS
01-18-2008, 06:40 AM
Perhaps a change in plan....

My local dealer who sells tires at internet prices, is directing me toward a set of Pirelli Diablo Strada - thier extended wear tires. Anyone had any experience with these?

Phil

suzukijo
01-19-2008, 12:20 PM
http://www.twtex.com/forums/showthread.php?t=17255&page=60

these are BT-021.
i got about 3k out of front till it had to be replaced, here it is near wear limits.

http://img293.imageshack.us/img293/5088/img2785pi7.jpg

i ran the back as long as i could, about 5k, and replaced it with pilot road.

http://img293.imageshack.us/img293/8251/img3397kq1.jpg

i have been acused of having 'chicken strips' on my tires, and agree the rear had one from edge to edge at replacement time.
the front had most of its tread still available in the middle, but was bald on both sides at a 45 angle, worn into a V shape.

i have about 9k on bike now, pilot roads doing ok, i am sold on pirelli diablo rossa tire, next time around. their latest tire

its out to the garage to change the oil in the GSF,
be back later.....i've shown these pics before, just reposting them here, since the tire thread is buried in the giant original post, few want to wade thru.

GregH
01-19-2008, 02:32 PM
...i've shown these pics before, just reposting them here, since the tire thread is buried in the giant original post, few want to wade thru.
True. But it's still pretty cool that the Mega-Thread lives! :clap:

Roy
01-19-2008, 03:01 PM
I have 2k miles on a set of Pilot Powers and they are holding up really well on the big heavy bike. I did 500 miles up in the N. Ga. mountains on them brand new and the sides lost a little tread early on. I have 3.5mm tread left on the rear it started with 5mm total. I figure 4k miles easy on a rear. I like thes tires they stick great and work well in the wet. Two rears to 1 front is a not a bad compromise.

Ken Phenix
01-21-2008, 12:46 PM
It's tire time again. My current AV56 Storm ST that went into service October 1st is at 6400 miles and for whatever reason, it's clear that it is not going to make it to the 7500 mile mark as the last 3 Avon's have done. Anyway, Motorcycle Pro Shop still seems to have the best price on Avon, 129.00 including shipping.:rider:

http://www.motorcycleproshop.com/detail.asp?product_id=0302-0120

PhilS
01-21-2008, 05:23 PM
It's tire time again. My current AV56 Storm ST that went into service October 1st is at 6400 miles and for whatever reason, it's clear that it is not going to make it to the 7500 mile mark as the last 3 Avon's have done. Anyway, Motorcycle Pro Shop still seems to have the best price on Avon, 129.00 including shipping.:rider:

I know this is quite subjective, but, how do you like the wet/dry handling and the overall performance of the tire. Are you saying you got 6400+ miles on the AV56? I hear a lot of people getting 4 to 5K miles on the rear. What type of riding do you do and why are you buying the Avons?

Ken Phenix
01-21-2008, 11:07 PM
I know this is quite subjective, but, how do you like the wet/dry handling and the overall performance of the tire. Are you saying you got 6400+ miles on the AV56? I hear a lot of people getting 4 to 5K miles on the rear. What type of riding do you do and why are you buying the Avons?

Quite right, Phil. It would next to impossible to actually try all the "good" tires out there. I guess we just find something we like and stick with it. I ran through a Metzler M1 and a Pilot Power in around 5,000 miles each. Some of the more experienced riders I ride with swear by the Avon's so naturally I gave them a try. The Storm seems to have as much dry bite as the "sportbike" tires and offers a much more confident feel in the wet. I started with the Azaro and then the Storm ST. Each has given me 7500 miles. My current Storm (3rd Avon rear tire) must have worn excessively when I picked up a nail on my way home from the hill country last October. It had to be losing air for close to 100 miles before it got the plug.
http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2375/1518723533_60fdcdf0b8_o.jpg
After spending some time on the phone with Avon tech support,( 800-624-7470 ) I chose the stickier AV59 Viper Sport up front. I got 12k out of the 1st one and I'm at 10k on the 2nd. I really like the Viper / Storm combination.

As for my riding style, I guess I'm the proverbial 50yr old sport touring rider. I'd be considered too conservative by hard core sport riders but I'd be bored stiff on a cruiser. I'm just as likely to turn around and carve a section of twisted road a little faster the 2nd time as to just stop and take a picture of it. I'm always well below the redline but I'm always well above the posted number on the little yellow sign under the squiggled arrow. :rider: My 600 Bandit is a pretty good fit for the way I ride. It doesn't have the ground pounding torque of the 1250 but it can still clock an eleven second quarter. I measure my thrill of riding by calendar years and odometer clicks rather than lateral G's and MPH and if that causes me to get a few more miles out of my tires too, well it's all good. :thumb:

db
01-22-2008, 07:55 AM
Good info on the Avons, thanks for sharing, Ken.

treybrad
01-22-2008, 09:22 AM
Good info on the Avons, thanks for sharing, Ken.

Yep, good 1st hand info, thanks. I'm still debating between a Storm or another RoadAttack when I get done w/ the RA on there now...

trey

PhilS
01-22-2008, 07:37 PM
Thanks Ken - I just ordered my AV55/AV56 tonight - $275 total including tax. I got them from my local Suzuki shop http://www.ohiomotorcycle.com/custompage.asp?page=map.

They will get installed in a few hundred miles once it warms up around here and I am doing the rest of the 4000 mile maint stuff. They want $30 each to mount and balance - so $335 invested in new tires (I've paid less for 4 car tires - eeek).......and hopefully get better mileage compared to the stock Bandit tires.

Later.

bones
01-22-2008, 09:24 PM
Local dealer hear said $75/tire mounted and balanced!!! :eek2:

I am buying a changer and balancing crap to do it myself. I did not balance the rear on my VFR and so far it's been fine. I never balanced a tire on my KLR and in 20,000 clicks I went through a fair amount of tires and never a wobble....well it was a KLR. :D

GregH
01-22-2008, 10:12 PM
Why ARE motorcycle tires so much more expensive than auto tires? Is it simply sales volumes?

suzukijo
01-22-2008, 10:15 PM
they always ask me if my bike is either red or black, when i go to buy tires, and i have found out the tires for black bikes cost more, because they are faster.

you might tell them you have a red bike and dont need the tires for black bikes, save you a few bucks, you know.

GregH
01-22-2008, 10:20 PM
...you might tell them you have a red bike and dont need the tires for black bikes, save you a few bucks, you know.

Ken Phenix
01-22-2008, 11:22 PM
Why ARE motorcycle tires so much more expensive than auto tires?

Ok, I know I'm gonna open a can of worms here but here goes anyway. When all the local bike stealerships went to $40 + to mount and balance a loose wheel I cried uncle! :suicide: I have a buddy in the automotive tire business who will mount my tires for free but he can't balance them. Here's my solution. http://www.innovativebalancing.com/motorcycle.htm
I've been using the Dynabeads in my bike tires for quite a while now on wheels that I KNOW really need balancing and they work. Don't ask me how or why they work but they DO work. :trust: :deal: :loco: :thumb:

bones
01-22-2008, 11:33 PM
same as when we used BB's in our rockcrawlers or even golfballs.

they also make what is called Equal http://128.83.80.200/taco/Equal.html

next topic please, this gets ugly in the 4x4 world. :doh:

Ken Phenix
01-23-2008, 09:39 AM
same as when we used BB's in our rockcrawlers or even golfballs.

they also make what is called Equal http://128.83.80.200/taco/Equal.html

next topic please, this gets ugly in the 4x4 world. :doh:

Yes, I'm sure glad we're not in the 4 x 4 world here. I'll bet rock crawler tires present balance challenges that do not apply here. They must weigh close to 100 pounds each and could easily be a full pound out of balance. They probably weren't really designed to spin smoothly at highway speed anyway.

A Z-rated motorcycle tire should need less than 3 ounces of correction to balance perfectly.

Roy
01-23-2008, 09:46 AM
I mount my tires at a buddies house he has a no-mar setup and marc parnes balancer shaft. Works great and its free,,or the cost of a lunch.:mrgreen:

I mount my own dirtbike tires using 3 motion pro spoons, bead buddy and a 5 gallon bucket:mrgreen:

Local dealer mounts the tires free if you buy them there but they are higher than online but not that much higher.

bones
01-23-2008, 09:56 AM
Yeah I want to buy a mounting/balancing setup better than the Harbor Freight setup, but not cost me an arm and a leg.

Roy
01-23-2008, 10:09 AM
Yeah I want to buy a mounting/balancing setup better than the Harbor Freight setup, but not cost me an arm and a leg.

Actually we do use a harbor freight mount modified for shiny wheels but he has the no-mar mount bar, spoons and clamps which make the job so easy. I have another buddy up in N. Ga. who has the no-mar whole setup and it does not work any better than our HF setup.

bones
01-23-2008, 11:28 AM
Sorry, I meant to say, HF with upgraded no mar goodies. I was lazy and distracted my WORK!. d@mn boss!

PhilS
01-23-2008, 05:34 PM
Roy/Bones:

Can you guys let me know exactly what HF items you have to comprise this No Mar changer set up? I may just buy this gear myself seeing as how I am at least looking at 1 set a year.

Phil

Roy
01-23-2008, 07:09 PM
Roy/Bones:

Can you guys let me know exactly what HF items you have to comprise this No Mar changer set up? I may just buy this gear myself seeing as how I am at least looking at 1 set a year.

Phil

This is the tp part of the Harbor Freight setup, there is a base that I could not locate right off. http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/displayitem.taf?Itemnumber=42927

Here is the high dollar no mar http://www.nomartirechanger.com/

We only have the no mar bar, 3 spoons and two clamps but it all works really well. The Harbor Freight mount has to have some rubber attached to its clamps or it will scratch a wheel. We have that figured out with rubber tubing over the clamp portion. I have used both the complete no mar and the HF setup of ours and they both work similar with little effort.

They both need to be bolted to concrete to be effective.

bones
01-23-2008, 09:44 PM
I have yet to buy the stuff yet, but plan to soon. I used the HF changer on DS tires at a friends once. Might just buy the no mar stuff and use his for beer and conversation. I have old tube from the KLR we can wrap on the changer to help prevent wheel maring

Ken Phenix
01-24-2008, 08:38 PM

Zowee!! I ordered that sucker Monday and it hit here Yesterday! :thumb:

GregH
01-24-2008, 10:47 PM
I watched the No-Mar guys do a few tires at the motorcycle show that was here a couple of months ago. Slick and quick for sure. I'm trying to convince the group of guys that I ride with to split the cost on a set.

suzukijo
02-01-2008, 10:35 PM
this weeks cycle news, had a write up on the pirelli diablo rosso tires, and they liked them too, saying they are a step ahead of previous pirelli offer.

looks like i found the tire to buy, when michelin pilot road wear out.

treybrad
02-25-2008, 11:15 AM
Very happy with the Conti RoadAttacks. I'm at about 5,500mi or so now, so I've put about 1,600mi on them. They grip well, hold pressure very well, I haven't had to add air in about 3 weeks, and look cool as a bonus. They seem to be wearing better than the Dunlops, I hope to get twice the mileage or better from these.

Well, commuting kills another tire. I'm at about 9,500mi on the Bandit now, so that means the RoadAttacks lasted me right around 6,000mi. The sides still have quite a bit of meat on them, but the middle is almost smooth. I could probably get another 500-1000mi on them, but I've got a 1,000mi trip coming up where I'll be loaded down and 2-up so I'll be changing it sometime next week.

Loved the tire, great grip, more than I need for my sedate riding, just wish I could find something that'll last a little longer. So, I'm going to try something else. I'm looking at:

Pilot Road2 - $$$, $200 :eek:, but should last longer.

Avon Storm - $155 or so, sounds like it won't last much longer than the RA.

Shinko Raven 009 - < $100. Cheap, cheap, and cheap. But I can't find many reviews as to how many miles to expect out of one.

I'm thinking I'm going to give the Road2 a whirl, maybe a Shinko next time. I wish I could find a really high-mileage tire to try and take it easy on, like the Metzler ME880, but nothing like that comes in a 180/55/17...

Miles/Dollar, I'd need the $200 Road2 to last me 8,600mi to match the value of the RoadAttack, which is cheap, only $140. The Shinko would only need to last 4,300mi though...

Anyone have suggestions for a tire I haven't looked at?

I'll take a cell phone pic at lunch to show what the RoadAttack looks like after 6,000mi or commuting and riding around in the Hill Country.

trey

bones
02-25-2008, 12:04 PM
6000 is not bad at all IMO. I would not be complaining on the cost per mile.

I am going to stick with pilot powers or go with BT021's. I do not ride hard or lay it down in corners, so the PP's are not really needed, but I can get them locally for $150 usually.

treybrad
02-25-2008, 02:25 PM
6000 is not bad at all IMO. I would not be complaining on the cost per mile.

I'm not complaining, just on the quest for the perfect tire... Anything beats the 3,800 I got on the stock Dunlops, I was complaining then...

I'm sure the Shinkos aren't the perfect tire, but I ordered up a Raven for $80. It's half the price of the Road2, so we'll see what happens. I figure with my trip coming up, I'd rather flat spot a $80 tire being loaded down w/ a passenger in W. Texas....

Here's an awful cell phone pic of the RoadAttack:

http://webspace.utexas.edu/treybrad/www/bandit/tire.jpg

You can see how there's almost no tread left in the middle but plenty on the sides... I'll get a better pic soon.

trey

bones
02-25-2008, 03:14 PM
Let us know how the Shincko's do. Very curious, especially if you get into some rain.

My bandit has 2700 miles on it and the rear is close to dead. Maybe 1000 left. Granted I have yet to put one mile on the bike.

PhilS
02-25-2008, 10:09 PM
Many years back, 'bout the time Carter was trying to be President, trying to bring peace to the middle east (which obviously worked), and simultaneously "lusting after women", I ordered a set of Chen Shin tires from JCW for my Honda Hawk because they were half the price for the big name tires. BIGGEST DANG MISTAKE EVER outside of not buying Microsoft stock 20 years ago!!!!! They were hard, they vibrated, and they sucked in the rain. I cheaped out on tires - never again.

I am planning on installing the Avon Storm ST's in April......they are sitting on the garage staring longingly at the bike....

I will wear out the stock tire at 4000 miles. The front could go 8000 miles for sure, but I will replace them both to get a matched pair.

bones
02-25-2008, 10:16 PM
I ran cheap tires on my KLR all the time and when I went to Dunlops and maxis, they wore like crap and IMO were junk. Granted they were knobbies. but Kenda 270's wore like iron and were at least decent on wet since they had sipping.

Point is, that's not a fair blanket statement. especially since yours is coming from the late 70's, early 80's.

granted on a performance bike I am inclined to lean away from cheaper tires since I will go faster on this than the KLR, but I still rode 20K mile in 2 years on the KLR and a ton of that was on slab with cheap *** tires, 70-75 mph on the interstates.

PhilS
02-25-2008, 10:24 PM
True it was 20+ years ago - but for another $150 difference max for the set, it's comforting knowing I have "really good stuff" on that little patch of rubber between me and the painful pavement.

Ken Phenix
02-25-2008, 10:46 PM
My current Storm (3rd Avon rear tire) must have worn excessively when I picked up a nail on my way home from the hill country last October. It had to be losing air for close to 100 miles before it got the plug.
http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2375/1518723533_60fdcdf0b8_o.jpg
After spending some time on the phone with Avon tech support,( 800-624-7470 ) I chose the stickier AV59 Viper Sport up front. I got 12k out of the 1st one and I'm at 10k on the 2nd. I really like the Viper / Storm combination.:thumb:

Well Avon #4 has been on the rear for about a month and doing fine. #3 still handled ok at 6600mi but was losing stopping power :eek2: so I switched it out. My AV59 Viper Sport up front has almost 13k now and still has good tread but is scalloping (which is normal and unavoidable) and beginning to vibrate a little. I still like the Viper / Storm combo so I ordered another one today. The Viper is W(168mph) speed rated and has more dry stickum than the Z(149mph) rated Storm and is good in the wet too. Nevermind all that . . . . . . . . . it was CHEAPER!

http://www.motorcycleproshop.com/detail.asp?product_id=0301-0047

Roy
02-26-2008, 06:50 AM
I still like my Michelins :mrgreen:

Pilot powers on the Bandit are amazing just like they are on every other motorcycle:lol2: about 4k on the rear give or take a few smiles. Big torque to play you must pay;-)

treybrad
02-26-2008, 10:12 AM
I still like my Michelins :mrgreen:

Pilot powers on the Bandit are amazing just like they are on every other motorcycle:lol2: about 4k on the rear give or take a few smiles. Big torque to play you must pay;-)

If I lived in Sunny SoCal or only rode my bike to chase the twisties, I'd agree with you, but that's just not the case... I do around 600mi of commuting every month, and even on weekend trips to go play in the twisty stuff, this is Texas... you have to ride 100mi of straight stuff for every 20mi of twisty stuff it seems, even out here in the Hill Country...

My research on these Shinkos hasn't turned up anyone saying they're bad or unsafe except those like you, Phil. It's usually a case of, "I tried cheap tires 10+ years ago, and they were awful." And they probably were really awful 20 years ago... I bet even *good* tires from 20 years ago would be pretty bad today...

My line of thinking is, these are probably just fine, they just aren't the latest and greatest tech.. probably equivalent to something from 5 years ago, maybe not, maybe they're better, maybe worse...

I've run across a couple reports of them not lasting as long as a name brand, but that's it. They are apparently copies of Yokohama's molds and compounds, I guess Yok sold them the rights when they got out of the motorcycle tire game...

We'll see. For $82, if it flat spots, or is hard as a rock, it'll be ok for my trip out to W Texas... I'm riding out there w/ 2 Ultra Classics and a Goldwing Trike so... it won't be too agressive :yawn:

When I get back I can give the Road2 a try if that's the case. But the Road2 was $165, 2x the price of the Shinko, so I'll give it a whirl...

trey

Roy
02-26-2008, 11:03 AM
I do miss the longevity of the old V-Strom rubber.

I used to commute to work until Sept. 14, 2005 when a women in a minivan decided to take a left hand turn into me. I spent the next 6 weeks recovering from a severelly broken right hand, broken left foot, lower back contusion, grade III concussion and a severelly lacerated left middle finger I almost lost. Surgery was required on my right hand. Total bill was $30k in medical, totalled V-Strom 1000 and it ended up taking 15 months, had to hire an attorney to settle the obvious case, she hit me, failure to yield right of way. I am lucky to be here PERIOD! I flew 30+ feet over the front of the minivan head 1st into the pavement, helmet and gear saved my life. I some how lifted my left leg before impact (I don't remember anything that morning) or it would be gone right now. The V-strom took a direct hit from the side, engine was busted almost out of the frame the van was knocked out at the radiator. I must have seen her at the last minute since I did attempt to swerve. Witnesses thought I was dead for sure. I came too sitting up in the middle of the road, paramedic, policeman and her screaming. That ended my commuting to work. When gas gets to $8 bucks a gallon and some of these 4 ton giants get off the road only then will I consider a return to riding to work. People drive crazy these days too many distractions at the wheel. Life can be snuffed out in an instant because of one mindless idiot.

sorry about the rant....

bones
02-26-2008, 11:08 AM
My limited exp. in texas were the roads were murder on tires. Unsure why, heard the same thing about Montana.

Ken Phenix
02-26-2008, 07:24 PM
I'm not complaining, just on the quest for the perfect tire... Anything beats the 3,800 I got on the stock Dunlops, I was complaining then...

I'm sure the Shinkos aren't the perfect tire, but I ordered up a Raven for $80. It's half the price of the Road2, so we'll see what happens. I figure with my trip coming up, I'd rather flat spot a $80 tire being loaded down w/ a passenger in W. Texas....

trey

Shinko's huh . . . . . .

Hey that's the way it works - somebody (this time you get to be the guinea pig) musters up the gonads to take a chance and try something different. If it works you're a hero and everybody jumps on the band wagon. If it doesn't you endure countless "I told you so's".

GOOD LUCK:thumb:

Keep us posted.

BTW: My cost per mile averaged over the last 3 Avon rear tires is 1.8 cents. The last 2 Vipers up front cost me .72 cents per mile.:trust:

treybrad
02-28-2008, 05:26 PM
Shinko's huh . . . . . .

Hey that's the way it works - somebody (this time you get to be the guinea pig) musters up the gonads to take a chance and try something different. If it works you're a hero and everybody jumps on the band wagon. If it doesn't you endure countless "I told you so's".

GOOD LUCK:thumb:

Keep us posted.

BTW: My cost per mile averaged over the last 3 Avon rear tires is 1.8 cents. The last 2 Vipers up front cost me .72 cents per mile.:trust:

I'll definitely keep everyone posted. The tire is getting mounted on Monday, so I'll have some kind of initial review by mid-week. I'll start a new thread so this doesn't turn into MegaThread Part Duex... :lol2:

Also, FWIW, the RoadAttack may have me to blame for some of it's quick wear towards the end. I'd commented before how well these tires were holding air, so I got kind of lax about checking my pressures. I was still doing it every week, week and a half max though.

Well, admittedly, I didn't check my pressures before I ran around 400+mi last weekend to the Pie Run and other places. When I checked it yesterday, it was down to 33psi... I have been running it at 42-44psi so.....

Checked it again at lunch and it was down a couple psi from when I put air in it yesterday. It must have a slow leak somewhere, nothing obvious (nail, screw), but I'm not going to mess w/ trying to find a tiny puncture and plugging it (it already has one plug in it), since I'm getting the new tire mounted Monday. I'll just keep checking my pressure everyday for the next few days.

I don't know if I picked something up in it on the way to the Pie Run or before, or what. I don't know how long I ran w/ it a little low, but it might explain why two weeks ago I thought the tread was looking pretty deep and then all of a sudden it seemed like it was looking pretty ragged.

My bad, RoadAttack. :doh:

I'll get back into my groove of checking my pressures every few days again w/ the Shinko. Better safe than sorry.

trey

suzukijo
02-28-2008, 09:56 PM
my pilot road front is about bald, this was my 3rd front tire, and just today i reached 10kmi.

http://img518.imageshack.us/img518/9706/img0336zg5.jpg

suzukijo
03-01-2008, 08:31 PM
http://img520.imageshack.us/img520/4821/img0372bj2.jpg

as suggested by this list, i popped the big bucks for the dual compound front.

treybrad
03-01-2008, 08:36 PM
as suggested by this list, i popped the big bucks for the dual compound front.

Cool! Let us know what you think. My front Conti is not long for this world either, I think I'm going to replace it w/ a Road2... as much as I like to be adventurous, I can't cheap out on a front tire.

You said you were on your 3rd Pilot Road front at 10k mi, or your 3rd tire? How many miles did you get out of each?

trey

suzukijo
03-01-2008, 09:12 PM
well, this will be my 4th front tire since new.
at 2493 i got Bridgestone BT-021 both front and rear.
at 6200 i put pilot road front.
now at 10,170 mi in 8 months, i have for it a new pilot road 2. thats about 3900 on the 3rd front tire.
which is above average for all 3.
i still have good tread on the third rear tire a pilot road, for some reason, the fronts wear out first, always on the sides in a 'V'.
heres hoping the next time i need a front, the back will still be hanging in there, and i will get pirelli diablo rosso as a pair.

now everyone tells me, they get 8-10k out of their tires, and how i must ride wrong, or have my tires underinflated, or my wheels are out of alignment, or there are big silver discs landing in the feilds over the hill from my house, but i think i am just hard on tires.

some have called lake hughes road, the "cheezegrader" because of its bumpy texture, tight uphill turns and its many zigs and zags. some use it to set up suspension, because its got uneven texture, bumps, chatter, grooves, gee-outs, and irregular surface grip. to me its just a road. its not a freeway.

every now and then coming home, i run across some other bike rider, and they fall into 2 types.
one seems to have stopped in the middle of the road, or traveling 5-10 mph (harlee conch and fringe crowd), and the other is often either going my speed with me, or the other way, true sportbikes really leave me in the dust. its a humbling experience to shoot up the short straights at 110 or more trying to keep 85-90 in the turns, only to be left thinking my bike has popped out of gear, when it hasn't.

did i mention i really like my suzuki GSF 1250. of course i wish it had less weight, and more hp.
side note is i bought rear brake pads too, as they are looking thin.

nothing like new rubber and fresh pads to make one want to ride again.

http://img113.imageshack.us/img113/636/img0373sl8.jpg

http://img408.imageshack.us/img408/1702/img0374ce1.jpg

bones
03-02-2008, 07:55 PM
I found a set of BT-21's for $225 shipped, so I think that is what I will try before my trip to Alabama mid April

suzukijo
03-03-2008, 10:30 PM
after 80 miles.......michelen pilot road 2. about 5mm tread depth when new.

http://img524.imageshack.us/img524/9128/img0378nt1.jpg

Roy
03-04-2008, 07:09 PM
My rear tire with a 105 track miles on it :rider:
http://i144.photobucket.com/albums/r173/rholmes18/2007%20Bandit%201250S/LeoVincepipe011.jpg

....whats left of a brand new Michelin Power Race PR4 pretty much shot. It was the wrong compound for the day weather was too cool and it developed cold tear even with tire warmers. Common with this tire but it is all I had at the time, a PR5 would have been the prefered tire in the cool conditions. Having said all that the GSX-R1000 is a beast:mrgreen:

treybrad
03-04-2008, 07:42 PM
Well, won't my tire pictures look lame :giveup:

Here's what a RoadAttack w/ 5,852 miles of about 60% boring commuting, and the rest a mix of taking it easy, zooming around, and some 2-up thrown in there looks like:

http://webspace.utexas.edu/treybrad/www/bandit/rear.jpg

http://webspace.utexas.edu/treybrad/www/bandit/side.jpg

Tread in the middle is thinner than a sheet or two of paper. The sides have plenty left though... Ugh. Such are Texas roads and my commuting miles...

I could probably squeeze 2-300 more miles from it, but I leave Friday after work for a 1,000mi weekend 2-up to Sweetwater for the Rattle Snake Roundup among other things.

New Shinko gets installed tomorrow. I'll start a new thread to chronicle my experience with it.

trey

bones
03-05-2008, 07:47 AM
Curious to heard about th Shinko

My stock rear is pretty thin and if I get to ride it next weekend to Oklahoma it will need replacing before I head to Alabama in April.

Roy
03-05-2008, 08:35 AM

My stock rear is pretty thin and if I get to ride it next weekend to Oklahoma it will need replacing before I head to Alabama in April.

Bones where ya headed to in Alabama in April? just curious. I will be in Al. for the Barber AMA (Birmingham) round saturday the 19h on the Bandit two up.

bones
03-05-2008, 09:10 AM
Bones where ya headed to in Alabama in April? just curious. I will be in Al. for the Barber AMA (Birmingham) round saturday the 19h on the Bandit two up.
B'ham also. Actually a friends place in Dora (north of B'ham) for the XRRA East (http://www.xrra.com/XRRA%20Pages/EventsPage.html) opening event in Gray Rock. Working the pit crew this season and helping out a few friends that are rookie competitors.

I'd like to catch the Barber, but am more into the rockcrawling/racing events still. been doing that for a decade, just can't afford a rig anymore and it's not pracatical where I live.

rworm
03-10-2008, 04:26 PM
Guinea Pig Worm
Anybody tried the Supermax by MAXXIS??Rode a little today and it feels good
http://i253.photobucket.com/albums/hh44/robertworm/bandit011.jpg
rworm

bones
03-10-2008, 07:11 PM
You get a rear Maxxis also? I liked it on my KLR and buddies run the **** out of comp compound on their rockcrawlers. Tough as nails.

rworm
03-10-2008, 09:14 PM
You get a rear Maxxis also? I liked it on my KLR and buddies run the **** out of comp compound on their rockcrawlers. Tough as nails.
No but I should have tried one /Front is sticky/ MILEAGE??????????-Later
Couldn't bring myself to get rid of the DUNLOP w/750 miles-But rear MAXXIS was in stock,and stared at me............

rworm

Brass
03-11-2008, 10:06 PM
Anyone tried these or even know anything about them??

http://www.compacc.com/prod.cfm/cid/1701001/pid/8996

treybrad
03-12-2008, 12:43 AM

Well, stay tuned...

http://www.twtex.com/forums/showthread.php?t=25793

I started a new thread for the Shinko so this doesn't turn into another Bandit Super-Thread....

Hopefully it'll be useful info for everyone looking for an inexpensive ST tire option, regardless of what bike.

trey

MikeS
04-07-2008, 10:30 PM
Has anyone tried the Dunlop RoadSmart tires? They're a dual compound rear and soft compound front. I've got 2K on my original Dunlops and the rear is about toast. I ride almost exclusively in the twistys and was surprised how fast the center wore on the original pups. I think the 1250 is gonna be a rear tire eater. I'm going to try the RoadSmart set or maybe go with the Pilot2s. It seems the dual compound rear will be a must.

suzukijo
04-07-2008, 11:53 PM
if you ride canyons, the center should not wear out first. it seems i go thru fronts more than rears, so i would not suggest a soft front, for myself.

i have p2's on front and rear, and will post mi when they are done. they are about half way now, so far so good, looks like they will last 3-4k, maybe more.

Roy
04-08-2008, 06:50 AM
Its official now my 1st rear Pilot Power lasted 4225 exactly. I was able to wear it smooth all the way to the edges. 1mm tread left at the edges and zero in the middle. Mounting another one this week. I am pleased with the wear from the rear Power. I am not easy on tires so YMMV. Front will go the distance on a new rear but it is pushing a little up front from the 4000+ miles Pilot. I am determined to get two rears to 1 front using the Pilots.

fog
04-08-2008, 03:01 PM
Hi I have not used up all my rubber up yet but it will not be long. :eek2:
Before purchasing my 1250 I read a series of articles in Bike Magazine a UK publication, the magazine are given about 8 bikes to test over a 6 month period Simon Weir was the tester for the Bandit and wrote monthly articles about the 1250 all good which was another reason for prompting me to buy a 1250.
In the March 08 edition he reported over the six months that he had tried 5 sets of tyres he gave each set a star ratings for Wear, Dry grip, Wet grip, Feel and Overall performance.

First place Michelin Pilot Road 2 followed by
Avon Storm ST
Metzeler Roadtec Z6
Bridgestone BT021
Last but least Dunlop D218

I know this is only one testers opinion but I think armed with this information and other riders reviews I will be trying a pair of pilots in the very near future

Mitral
04-08-2008, 05:36 PM
I came too sitting up in the middle of the road, paramedic, policeman and her screaming.
sorry about the rant....

what was she screaming about? Was she concerned about you, or was she pissed that a motorcycle ruined her day?

Roy
04-08-2008, 06:32 PM
what was she screaming about? Was she concerned about you, or was she pissed that a motorcycle ruined her day?

Most likely worried about her future financial status. Doubt she was worried about me most cage drivers could care less about a motorcyclist. In the end I had the last laugh:lol2:

MikeS
04-10-2008, 01:17 AM
if you ride canyons, the center should not wear out first. it seems i go thru fronts more than rears, so i would not suggest a soft front, for myself.

i have p2's on front and rear, and will post mi when they are done. they are about half way now, so far so good, looks like they will last 3-4k, maybe more.

I guess the centers will normally wear out first since you gotta go through them each time you change from "lean right" to "lean left", but I expected longer wear. The torque of the 1250 was a major selling point to me for the way I ride. If I have to pay for that with more tires so be it. I usually go through 2 rears to 1 front. You must come into corners "real" hot to go through fronts so quick. Or do you have one of the 2 wheel drive prototype 1250s?

MikeS
04-10-2008, 01:35 AM
Here's a link to Superbike's review of the Dunlop Roadsmart test.
http://www.superbike.co.uk/products/tyres/superbike_news_from_Mireval_on_the_new_Dunlop_Road smart_tyre_news_147538.html
It sounds like most folks are giving a thumbs up to the Pilot2s. So I'll do a little more research and then decide.

suzukijo
04-10-2008, 03:10 PM
Isnip by suzukijo.... If I have to pay for that with more tires so be it. I usually go through 2 rears to 1 front. You must come into corners "real" hot to go through fronts so quick. Or do you have one of the 2 wheel drive prototype 1250s?

i seldom ride straight roads, although many of my pictures show open straight roads. my daily commute is up and down cyn. for whatever reason, i am hard on fronts. others criticize my bad riding habits, riding the brakes, slipping the clutch, as the reason for poor tire mileage.

but i agree with you, and so many others, the torq and upright riding position is why i bought it. its a heavy bike, and combined, thats tough on tires.

there are a couple big sweepers on my way home, and without traffic, its hard to not get into it and open it up. one turn in particular has a bump mid section, and it feels like both front and back bottoms out thru it, but the gsf 1250 seems to hold a steady line and takes it in stride.

i'm not a ricky roadracer by any means, but the bandit makes me feel that way.

i am suprised how smooth and comfy the ride is on the freeway, the few times i have ridden there when its not stop and go traffic. heading up the '5' to gorman, steady traffic is moving along, finally out of LA, and to keep up the bandit indicates 80-90 mph, optimistic i would think most traffic at that point is often 70-80 mph.

i could see how traveling daily on the freeway, would bald out the center of the back tire, and leave the front cupping from non use.

i am looking forward to seeing more photography from mikeS.
your one picture is crisp, clean, in focus, with good background, and angle of shot is refreshing.

Roy
04-11-2008, 06:53 AM
Mounted my new Pilot Power rear yesterday, nice, :mrgreen: current mileage 6692 this one should take me to 11k. Man a new rear feels so good:rider:

MikeS
04-12-2008, 05:28 PM
Those don't sound like bad riding habits to me, Suzukijo. There's nothing better than a long sweeping corner, especially if it's uphill. I live for those and often will double back over excellent tarmac for an "instant replay". I don't use my 1250 to commute but as a way to enjoy the natural wonders and great roads we find throughout our world. The Bandit is for me the perfect bike. I prefer strong grunt without having to rev it, yet want enough rpm range for proper canyon work. I spend a whole lot of time in 3rd and 4th, often for over 100 mi. The Bandit accelerates like thought itself and I actually prefer it doesn't have a huge "hit" in the upper revs. While that's fun and all it can't be held long enough to be really useful. But the grunt of this bike is going to tax tires of any construction. So be it. Bring on fresh rubber. I haven't heard anyone comment on the RoadSmart from Dunlop other than what I read and viewed (video) when Dunlop brought out the tire and included the PR2 and others for direct comparison. The RoadSmart took the day, but like reviews of the Bandit, it would be nice to hear from end users. Maybe that should be me as I'm the one bringing it up, huh? I've got a couple more rides on the original rubber, but new tires are going to be needed soon.

Here's a couple more shots of Montery Bay's version of BANDIT COUNTRY:

sproggy
04-13-2008, 04:57 AM
The Roadsmart doesn't get a mention on the Dunlop UK website - maybe it's not on sale yet which I guess would explain the lack of reviews.

MikeS
04-13-2008, 06:04 PM
I'll check on them locally and report back if they're available. Sounds like the Pilot Road 2's are killer anyway. By the way, Sproggy, I've been getting SuperBike and TWO magazines for the past several months. Much more to them and always a riot to read. I've been enjoying them much more than my standard fair of Cycle World etc. It's funny, even though we speak the same language, the use of slang varies greatly across the pond and I'll read something in one of those mags and not have the foggiest idea what they mean. You've got great mags over there!

suzukijo
04-13-2008, 06:48 PM
thats a tempest in a teakettle, shag.....

Marc B
04-13-2008, 07:47 PM
Anyone know anything about the Dunlop 616 ? as far as wear..It looks to have a lot of meat on it.

sproggy
04-14-2008, 05:06 AM
By the way, Sproggy, I've been getting SuperBike and TWO magazines for the past several months. Much more to them and always a riot to read.

I subscribe to BIKE - by far the best of the UK magazines IMO. I also read PB (Performance Bikes), RIDE and TWO occasionally (usually bought in airports when I've got hours to kill!) but they're all reviewing the same bikes and kit so there's a big overlap. I never really liked Sukerbike mag that much, but then I probably only read one issue.

It's funny, even though we speak the same language, the use of slang varies greatly across the pond and I'll read something in one of those mags and not have the foggiest idea what they mean.

Well, now you know where to come for a translation!

MikeS
04-14-2008, 04:36 PM
Thanks for the translation services offer Sproggy. Let's start with something simple. What's a "knacker's yard"? I'm off for some new mags. I'll try BIKE. The Dec. SB edition did have a nice 2008 calendar tho . . . . .

sproggy
04-14-2008, 05:04 PM
What's a "knacker's yard"?
Breakers yard, scrap yard, junk yard - not sure what you'd call it over there. A place where old, broken bikes (or cars or other machines) go to be broken up for parts.

Derives from the term 'knackered' which is taken to mean worn out or broken/damaged, non-functioning but actually originally means "sexually exhausted".....but no-one uses it in that sense any more.

PhilS
04-14-2008, 08:38 PM
Unbelieveably stupid question so I apologize in advance...........but,

When I take the front wheel to the dealer to tear off the stock front tire and mount my new Avon, how do they know which is the left and right side of the wheel. Is the rim marked somehow? I assume it's directional. The rear is obvious, but what am I missing on the front to keep me from asking such dufus questions?

Phil :giveup:

suzukijo
04-14-2008, 08:47 PM
unless your bike is different than mine, the 3 spokes have an angle?

PhilS
04-14-2008, 08:51 PM
They do have the same angle, but I hope the dipsh** at the dealer sees that as well. I guess I'll have to keep an eye on it or mark the wheel somehow.

suzukijo
04-14-2008, 09:07 PM
if your dealer has a dipsh*t changing the tires, i would show the rim to the service rep, before the tire is changed and point out there is no damage.
have him write on the repair order, that there is no damage.
before you leave with your new tire, go over the rim for damage with him and go from there.

PhilS
04-14-2008, 09:09 PM
Spoken like a man who has been there and done that, eh?

Thanks for the advice - I shall do such then report back the first week in May with the new rubber.

bones
04-14-2008, 09:44 PM
Simple. Put an L and an R on the rotor. I do it since I change tires while drinking home brew and have a bad habit of not paying attention

PhilS
04-14-2008, 09:51 PM
That's good idea. This will also give me an idea if both discs are engaging as they will or should wear the R and L marker off. I've been curious if the dual discs are really "dualing".

MikeS
04-15-2008, 12:00 AM
Derives from the term 'knackered' which is taken to mean worn out or broken/damaged,

That makes sense now. He was saying he wasn't ready for the Knacker's Yard yet. Maybe you should work at the UN?

Roy
04-15-2008, 06:58 AM
Unbelieveably stupid question so I apologize in advance...........but,

When I take the front wheel to the dealer to tear off the stock front tire and mount my new Avon, how do they know which is the left and right side of the wheel. Is the rim marked somehow? I assume it's directional. The rear is obvious, but what am I missing on the front to keep me from asking such dufus questions?

Phil :giveup:

Most Suzuki's have a directional arrow on ONE spoke on ONE side for the front I don't recall the Bandit having this when I did my front. The spokes on the Bandit are directional so they may have thought it not needed.

sproggy
04-17-2008, 06:26 AM
My OE Dunlops are borderline dangerous now - they've gone from close to the wear indicators to nearly no tread at all in only a couple of hundred miles :eek2: . The handling isn't good.....

So I just called my local tyre place to order a pair of Pilot Road 2s to be told that Michelin prices went up by 7% earlier this month - 220 the pair, fitted and balanced :-( He suggested Dunlop Roadsmarts as an alternative, which I would have asked for originally had there been any indication from Dunlop that they're available!

So my wheels have an appointment with the Roadsmarts on Saturday morning - 195 the pair fitted (to loose wheels), balanced, including tax - more than 10% cheaper than the Michelins.

I'll report back next week on how they are to ride.

suzukijo
04-17-2008, 09:09 PM
some tire mileage figures from my '07 gsf1250 bandit.
originals tires replaced at 2,493 mi. with Bt-021.
front replaced at about 6,200 mi. rear lasted till 8,240 mi. with pilot road.
front replaced at 10,170 mi with pilot road 2.

with 4,346 mi on rear pilot road tire it looks like its near the wear markers.

http://img219.imageshack.us/img219/8168/img3516an8.jpg

with 2,416 mi, front pilot road 2 looks about half worn out,

http://img219.imageshack.us/img219/6795/img3515pf3.jpg

front tire mileage.
original, 2,493.
BT-021, 3,707.
pilot road, 3,970.
pilot road 2, has 2,416 and looks about half worn out.

rear tire mileage.
original, 2,493.
BT-021, 5,747. ( i really worked on making this last, it was bald)

http://img168.imageshack.us/img168/9755/img3397ne8.jpg

pilot road, 4,346 near wear limits, but may have 1k left?

i would say, it doesnt look like there is any advantage to any brand of tire, your mileage may vary.
when i read some get 30k on a tire, i just laugh. come ride with me.
why i am harder on front tires than rear tires, is because i ride canyons, not freeways.

http://img168.imageshack.us/img168/8808/img0961xn0.jpg

i'm hoping the front catches up with the rear, and i can put pirelli diable rosso on both in the near future http://www.motorcycledaily.com/18december07_pirelli_diablo_rosso.htm

rworm
04-17-2008, 09:21 PM
If thats a canyon we need to get a ride together in my home state:rofl: :rofl:
rworm

Marc B
04-17-2008, 10:43 PM
Anyone know anything about the Dunlop 616 ? as far as wear..It looks to have a lot of meat on it.

They are soft and sticky and wear out quick!

suzukijo
04-17-2008, 11:38 PM
If thats a canyon we need to get a ride together in my home state:rofl: :rofl: rworm

on the other side of the haze, is a downhill.

http://img152.imageshack.us/img152/5864/img0518sk3.jpg

come on out, you could show me. how bout a couple pics of them cyns?

http://img159.imageshack.us/img159/644/img1796lm8.jpg

rworm
04-17-2008, 11:43 PM
on the other side of the haze, is a downhill.

http://img152.imageshack.us/img152/5864/img0518sk3.jpg

come on out, you could show me.
wood luv 2
rworm:rider:

suzukijo
04-18-2008, 12:13 AM
waiting........ not many cyns around here, just flat ground.

http://img143.imageshack.us/img143/2923/img0502ha4.jpg

http://img143.imageshack.us/img143/2161/img1722ar4.jpg

probably why my tires bald out in the middle

http://img143.imageshack.us/img143/79/img3396ve2.jpg

MikeS
04-21-2008, 02:06 AM
My front OE tire is wearing out on the sides with the center still in good shape. I thought it was odd when first reported but here I am with the same majority of wear on the sides. The Bandit handles pretty well for a 500 lb bike but it's still a 500 lb bike. Probably explains the wear for those of us that push it somewhat in the canyons.

I kind of feel sorry for whatever tire ends up on the rear with the torque from that 1250. It will be interesting to hear from those that have installed the 17 tooth countershaft sprocket to see what that does to the poor thing. I'm going to try the Dunlop Roadsmart in a couple of weeks if available.

sproggy
04-21-2008, 04:07 AM
I went out yesterday to scrub the new Roadsmarts in. About 20 miles on cool, occasionally damp but familiar roads. Even riding gently to scrub them in I've almost totally eliminated any traces of chicken strips on the rear which has very little to do with my riding ability and much to do with the predictable grip that the tyres give. Turn-in seems quicker than the OE Dunlops but that may just be the difference between new and very badly worn (square rear, triangular front) tyres. The tyres seem to have stiffer sidewalls than the OE tyres.

Riding to work this morning I started off in heavy rain and the tyres were astonishingly confidence-inspiring. In the interests of science (!) I did try to provoke the rear into a slide under power coming out of a bend which of course with all that torque was possible but actually took far more throttle than I expected (or would normally use in those conditions) and breakaway was smooth and controllable. I couldn't provoke wheelspin in a straight line, although I did lift the front :rider: So far I've not had the chance to ride hard on dry, empty roads but the odd dry bend has suggested that they'll be good.

So far, then, a big :thumb: but only time and a lot more miles will show how well they wear. And all at 10% less cost than the Pilot Road 2s.

MikeS
04-22-2008, 12:38 AM
Great report Sproggy!! Even a wheelie in the rain. I went down to my local dealer today where I bought the Bandit and they agreed to match or beat any internet deal (just bring in the ad) on the Roadsmart set +$70 labor with the wheels on the bike. That seems very reasonable to me. I'm glad to hear your initial rating is good. My OE tires are ready for the knacker's yard!! Time will tell how they do for wear.

suzukijo
04-23-2008, 08:49 PM
coming soon.....

http://img236.imageshack.us/img236/9651/img3635sa6.jpg

GregH
04-24-2008, 10:29 PM
Tire Prices on Avon Storms:

1 each AV55 120/70 & AV56 180/55 (prices include shipping)
bikebandit.com 287.70
americanmototire.com 243.29 (don't know shipping charge)
swmototires.com 256.90
ronayers.com 237.55

I may just go ahead and buy 2 rear tires while I'm at it. I still need to call around locally but I believe Ron Ayers Motorsports will be hard to beat.

suzukijo
04-24-2008, 10:37 PM
i still have a couple miles on the rear tire and hope to use them up this weekend, but the rear chain was starting to make that zippppp noise, so time for a new chain. 13,006 miles.

http://img151.imageshack.us/img151/2678/img3654cg9.jpg

http://img176.imageshack.us/img176/8761/img3655ad0.jpg

what the new chain looks like when opened up, i needed 118 links, box had 120 link, it was good to see how it was lubed.

http://img151.imageshack.us/img151/3527/img3657nm6.jpg

and what the old chain looked like, you can see the side orings without damage, but the pin lube had deteriorated to where the sideplates were metal to metal, this chain could have certainly been used longer, but i know what a worn out chain is and what it sounds like and this one was 'cooked', and i am not going to try and convince anyone a chain of this type, on this kind of motorcycle, would last longer. i would be fooling you and me.

http://img176.imageshack.us/img176/4782/img3662by7.jpg

http://img151.imageshack.us/img151/3052/img3659gf7.jpg

imageshack, webhosting service, seems to be choking at the moment or i would post more pictures, and each time i go there, norton repeatedly blocks attacks on my computer. so your safe for now from me posting more pics.

needless to say, the new chain is like night and day quieter, and how i rode that long with the original chain, i dont know.
but i am old fashioned and like to wear stuff out, i'll take a picture of what the michelen pilot road rear looks like, and the mileage, when it comes off.
probably after this weekend.

bones
04-25-2008, 12:24 PM
New sprockets also I hope?

PhilS
04-25-2008, 07:12 PM
Tire Prices on Avon Storms:

1 each AV55 120/70 & AV56 180/55 (prices include shipping)
bikebandit.com 287.70
americanmototire.com 243.29 (don't know shipping charge)
swmototires.com 256.90
ronayers.com 237.55

I may just go ahead and buy 2 rear tires while I'm at it. I still need to call around locally but I believe Ron Ayers Motorsports will be hard to beat.

I bought mine locally at Mid Ohio Motorcyle in central Ohio for $276 out the door. I'm OK with that considering most of the shops around here won't mount tires that did not come from them OR there the mounting charge was higher. Also, if it's bad when mounted, they deal with it for free - as in replace it.

suzukijo
04-25-2008, 07:31 PM
New sprockets also I hope?

i looked closely at the sprockets, and chose to NOT replace them.

both look good if inspected closely.
i'm one of those that think if the chain is replaced before it totals out the sprockets, one can just replace the chain only, which is what i did.
i doubt if many here, will adhere to the replacement mileage i do.
(some say they get 10k out of a tire, and 30k out of a chain? yeah, right)

i would think sprocket replacements is a judgement call, and for now, its just a new chain for the bus.

riding it today, it was like a new bike again, smooo-ooo-oooth.....

PhilS
04-25-2008, 07:41 PM
Dang!!!

I found this nail today at 3800 miles - although
it looks like it's been there a while. Good thing my
new Avon Storm St's are going
on next Thursday. More then..........Phil

http://i195.photobucket.com/albums/z62/stearnsp/BanditTireApril2008005.jpg

suzukijo
04-25-2008, 07:59 PM
an umbrella patch would be appropriate in that area, who knows till you pull it out if it indeed is all the way thru.
but its nice to have new rubber, why not. looks like a good choice.

AXEL
04-25-2008, 10:25 PM
I'm with you when it comes to sprocket replacement. I've found that stock sprockets last about twice as long as stock chains. And like you said, it is important to replace the chain as soon as it's out of spec.

suzukijo
04-27-2008, 09:46 PM
pilot road still hanging in there, couple more short rides left.

http://img209.imageshack.us/img209/8505/img3716ta9.jpg

suzukijo
04-28-2008, 09:50 PM
dreaming i need a new tire, i convinced myself, why not, at 13,465 mi.

http://img72.imageshack.us/img72/5489/img3726hb6.jpg

thats 5,165 mi on the last michelen pilot road, not bad for me.

bones
04-29-2008, 09:27 AM
Anything over 5K is impressive to me. I do not ride mine on the edge like you seem to and most certainly not down to where it is bald. :clap: I am happy with my cheapo Shinko thus far, over a thousand and still looking good.

X Harley Guy
04-29-2008, 04:19 PM
Anything over 5K is impressive to me. I do not ride mine on the edge like you seem to and most certainly not down to where it is bald. :clap: I am happy with my cheapo Shinko thus far, over a thousand and still looking good.

Interesting you should say that....I put a Shinko 005 on the rear after I nailed (16d) my original Dunlop at about 1750 miles. Now have about 2300 on the bike and based on the way I ride, (my Dunlop was about toast when it got nailed) I have been happy with the Shinko. I really wanted a set of Conti Road Attacks but at 2:30 on a Sat afternoon I just got what I could find. The Shinko has worn well and evenly. Very predictable handling and no surprises. I plan to go ahead and change out the front also, run 'em till they die and then compare then to a set of the Conti's. FWIW I like the Shinko 005 better than the Dunlop 218's.

bones
04-29-2008, 04:43 PM
Interesting you should say that....I put a Shinko 005 on the rear after I nailed (16d) my original Dunlop at about 1750 miles. Now have about 2300 on the bike and based on the way I ride, (my Dunlop was about toast when it got nailed) I have been happy with the Shinko. I really wanted a set of Conti Road Attacks but at 2:30 on a Sat afternoon I just got what I could find. The Shinko has worn well and evenly. Very predictable handling and no surprises. I plan to go ahead and change out the front also, run 'em till they die and then compare then to a set of the Conti's. FWIW I like the Shinko 005 better than the Dunlop 218's.
I have the 009's, front is in the garage, but I bet it waits to go on with the 2nd 009 rear once this one dies. I am easy on tires I guess.

suzukijo
04-29-2008, 07:59 PM

i am lucky that i have a 50 mi daily round trip, and i can watch the tread as it nears the end. its easy to say 'this ones worn out, put a new one on'.
more difficult to 'use it up, make it do'. i take the 'bald' comment as a congratulations, thank you.

i have decided that no matter what the brand, simply putting a new tire on, is a wonderful thing. i'll watch the pirelli diable rosso and post here the mileage when it too, gets 'bald'.

PhilS
04-29-2008, 10:37 PM
Hey guys:

This coming Thursday I will be taking my bike to the shop to have them mount the Avon Storm ST's - really looking forward to that. Yep - the whole bike is going and not just the wheels. It had everything to do with scheduling, my work, blah, blah, blah.

Two questions:

1) Is there any risk these guys could scratch my rims by the tire machine tool itself? Clearly, handling the rims like monkeys from bike to tire mounter can cause issues, but what about the machine itslef? Anything I should have them do or watch for to minimize this risk?

I will be doing a thorough walk around with a sign-off from the service manager prior to the event indicating that my bike literally has "zero" scratches or defects - hope this helps.

2) What about angled rubber stems? Anyone using these as now is the time to get them changed unless they are a hassle or other.

Let me know your thoughts when able.

Phil

X Harley Guy
04-29-2008, 11:47 PM
Hey guys:

This coming Thursday I will be taking my bike to the shop to have them mount the Avon Storm ST's - really looking forward to that. Yep - the whole bike is going and not just the wheels. It had everything to do with scheduling, my work, blah, blah, blah.

Two questions:

1) Is there any risk these guys could scratch my rims by the tire machine tool itself? Clearly, handling the rims like monkeys from bike to tire mounter can cause issues, but what about the machine itslef? Anything I should have them do or watch for to minimize this risk?

I will be doing a thorough walk around with a sign-off from the service manager prior to the event indicating that my bike literally has "zero" scratches or defects - hope this helps.

2) What about angled rubber stems? Anyone using these as now is the time to get them changed unless they are a hassle or other.

Let me know your thoughts when able.

Phil

A properly trained tire guy at a customer service oriented dealer should not dammage your rims. That said: It CAN and DOES happen. I remove my wheels and take them to the dealer to swap tires. That way i can point out to the service manager the perfection of the rims BEFORE the tire ape gets hold of them.

I had angled stems on an old ZX9 I had. No issues, easier to check the pressure.

suzukijo
04-29-2008, 11:51 PM
competent shops have the plastic edges on their machines, and often a padded floor for handling the wheels. walking in with a six pac for the guys in the back used to be a nod to take care of his bike, but you need to know the guys in the back and find out if its beer or cola they drink.

being too picky can just frustrate you.
i nick my rims, and use a black felt pen to hide them, even tho i try to avoid them, i am not perfect. find a good shop and patronize them.

Roy
04-30-2008, 07:06 AM
Don't lay the wheels flat as you will bend the rotors in transport. Also don't take the sprocket carrier or spacers not needed on a tire changer. Make sure your tires are in the correct direction before leaving the shop, its a lon way back to have it re-done once your home. I don't sweat a nick here and there it has happened while riding before from rocks. As Jo said a felt sharpy is your friend. Add some grease into the carrier bearing its not a sealed type bearing. You can mash the grease up inder the dust cover and it will work its way through in time. A little grease on the outside of the spacers goes a long way in keeping the dust covers from eating themselves. Don't over tighten the chain on re-install. Bounce the front end up and down (do not hold the front brake doing this) before torquing it all down.

bones
04-30-2008, 09:14 AM
Rims gets nicked, don't sweat it. Now a big dinger/scratch I'd be a bit more peeved. My local shop charges $50/tire that's on or OFF the bike. So I do it solo still and yes, my new rim has missing paint already.

Going to order a no Mar tire changer with my $$ from Uncle Sam if I can find a spot for it in the garage, or after I get a shed out back.

GregH
04-30-2008, 10:52 PM
i nick my rims...
Joe,
Do you change your own tires?

KenB
05-01-2008, 01:08 PM
I'm leaning toward a pair of Pilot Roads. The local shop wants $350 for the set and $70 to mount (on bike). Seems a bit high. Roy, et al, do you guys have a favorite online site for buying tires?

GregH
05-01-2008, 01:31 PM
Ken,
See page 8, post #150 of this thread. I checked a bunch of the online dealers and listed pricing for the Avon's. However, most of the dealers sell Michelins, too.

Roy
05-01-2008, 02:04 PM
I'm leaning toward a pair of Pilot Roads. The local shop wants $350 for the set and $70 to mount (on bike). Seems a bit high. Roy, et al, do you guys have a favorite online site for buying tires?

Sure do....

Your Michelin tire headquarters www.sportbiketrackgear.com

Pilot Road 2's $304.95 to your door. They are quick with shipping.

GregH
05-01-2008, 04:00 PM
Ron Ayers (http://www.ronayers.com/catalogs/tires/parts.cfm?secid=1&type=44)
120/70 $109.73
180/55 $142.08
Shipping $24.00
----------
Total $275.81

suzukijo
05-01-2008, 10:50 PM
Joe,
Do you change your own tires?

yes with hand tools on my garage floor.
i often just leave the balance weights alone.
if the wheel feels out of balance, i have a friend who has a static balance stand, and i just go there, and use it to balance the problem wheel.
often the weight is in the right place, after tire changes.

probably not what others would want to do, someday i'm gonna get a machine, and a balance stand. i'm getting to old, and someday aint gonna be able to do them by hand.

when i worked at dealer level, I was the machine.

i am looking forward to removing the top cover and doing the valve adj.
something else, most others would dread, but thats what makes me different than you.

http://img208.imageshack.us/img208/5161/img3740ei2.jpg

600 mi so far and looking good, new tires are sweet!

GregH
05-02-2008, 04:18 PM
I've got to know - why is there a small trident on the sidewall? :phead:

KY Geezeer
05-02-2008, 06:02 PM
GregH---Duh, it'd wear off if the put it on the tread?;-)

KenB
05-02-2008, 06:33 PM
Sure do....

Your Michelin tire headquarters www.sportbiketrackgear.com

Pilot Road 2's $304.95 to your door. They are quick with shipping.
Roy, I owe you a beer or dinner or both! You saved me $75 this week. Thank you, thank you, thank you!! :clap:

suzukijo
05-02-2008, 08:01 PM
I've got to know - why is there a small trident on the sidewall? :phead:

i wouldnt expect a 2CT with the michelin man, like on the this one.

http://img210.imageshack.us/img210/5755/img0377qq1.jpg

instead its a pirelli diablo rosso, so you get a trident. ooo-ooohhhh.

http://img514.imageshack.us/img514/9885/img3742it2.jpg

GregH
05-03-2008, 10:59 AM
Roy, I owe you a beer or dinner or both! You saved me $75 this week. Thank you, thank you, thank you!
I could have saved you another $30 off of that! :confused:

GregH
05-03-2008, 11:02 AM
http://img514.imageshack.us/img514/9885/img3742it2.jpg
Is the trident indicating the forward direction for mounting the tire?

KenB
05-03-2008, 11:43 AM
I could have saved you another $30 off of that! :confused:
Close! But not quite. Those prices from RA were for the original Pilot Roads and I'm after the PR 2's. Thanks though Greg, appreciate the search! :sun:

GregH
05-03-2008, 12:07 PM
Close! But not quite. Those prices from RA were for the original Pilot Roads and I'm after the PR 2's. Thanks though Greg, appreciate the search! :sun:
D'oh! http://pic18.picturetrail.com/VOL865/4143694/8650524/315810451.jpg

gil moreno
05-03-2008, 02:40 PM
Has anyone tired the Dunlop RoadSmart tire yet?

PhilS
05-03-2008, 03:51 PM
Hi guys:

Installed the avon Storm ST's earlier this week.
The experience at the shop went well - no scratches and the chain was set
perfect and aligned well.

Ride Report:

I had no idea how bad 4000 miles was on the stock tires.
The first thing I noticed was that when I roll into a turn, it feels like it
is "rolling smoothly" over - as if the tires are actually round - go figure!
I can "hear" these tires when coasting or slowing down, but that be a
symptom of all new tires, who knows.

They grip really well in the turns although I am sure some of you could
take them to the limit - I have not..........yet.

I try to avoid rain, so a rain report is unlikely.
Bottom line - I like these tires a lot.

http://i195.photobucket.com/albums/z62/stearnsp/4000MileServiceFrontAvon.jpg

http://i195.photobucket.com/albums/z62/stearnsp/4000MileServiceRearAvon.jpg

GregH
05-03-2008, 04:10 PM
They look good, Phil. I'm going to put a rear Storm on my bike within the next couple of weeks. (My stock front tire still has a lot of life left in it.)

PhilS
05-03-2008, 04:18 PM
My front was ok on wear, but when it came off, the cupping became more obvious. There is a definate front end difference now.

suzukijo
05-03-2008, 05:43 PM
phil, i'd wipe off the excess mounting lube dripping radially up around the outside edge. having them slippery on the edge, isnt what you want.

glad to hear your shop visit went ok. tires look good! (why is there 'storm' printed on outside edge, hee-hhe?)

PhilS
05-03-2008, 05:48 PM
phil, i'd wipe off the excess mounting lube dripping radially up around the outside edge. having them slippery on the edge, isnt what you want.

glad to hear your shop visit went ok. tires look good! (why is there 'storm' printed on outside edge, hee-hhe?)

I'll research the "storm" issue..........haha. I believe Greg is a believer too - his are coming soon. Great tire. I just rode 60 miles today adn man do they feel great.

And, my chain finaly cleaned up after the winter moisture rusting.:clap:

suzukijo
05-03-2008, 05:58 PM
Is the trident indicating the forward direction for mounting the tire?

my tire does have directional arrow on its sidewall as most do, i can only assume the trident, is a logo, like the michilen man, or a 'storm' print or some other moniker for you to look at when someone walks up and looks at the tread edge.

i really dont know the true reason, for such small logos, other than a place for advertisement, to those looking at the tire wear near the edge.

http://img390.imageshack.us/img390/5306/img3748vk5.jpg

man the grooves on those storms look 1/2 inch wide!

the trident is facing forward, tho, yes.

PhilS
05-03-2008, 06:12 PM
[QUOTE=suzukijo;406041]
man the grooves on those storms look 1/2 inch wide![QUOTE]

Darn near it.........

http://i195.photobucket.com/albums/z62/stearnsp/AvonDepth.jpg

wczimmerman
05-03-2008, 06:17 PM
Hi guys:

Installed the avon Storm ST's earlier this week.
The experience at the shop went well - no scratches and the chain was set
perfect and aligned well.

Ride Report:

I had no idea how bad 4000 miles was on the stock tires.
The first thing I noticed was that when I roll into a turn, it feels like it
is "rolling smoothly" over - as if the tires are actually round - go figure!
I can "hear" these tires when coasting or slowing down, but that be a
symptom of all new tires, who knows.

They grip really well in the turns although I am sure some of you could
take them to the limit - I have not..........yet.

I try to avoid rain, so a rain report is unlikely.
Bottom line - I like these tires a lot.

Guys-I'm on my second set of Avons on my SV1K and I'm completely pleased with their performance in all conditions: rain, dry, even track days! They are also what I've mounted to my wife's 919, too!

I think I got about 8-9K on the rear and 10K+ on the front on my last set, but that included a track day that ate some of the life out of 'em.

suzukijo
05-03-2008, 06:38 PM
I think I got about 8-9K on the rear and 10K+ on the front on my last set, but that included a track day that ate some of the life out of 'em.

i could only dream..... 10k on a front.

sproggy
05-04-2008, 05:32 AM
Has anyone tired the Dunlop RoadSmart tire yet?

Yes, but I've only done about 150 miles on them so can't comment on resistance to wear over a high mileage. They're stable in a straight line but turn in really well. Huge amounts of lean with confidence and extremely secure in the wet too. Probably the best tyre I've had on any bike.

Bike magazine in the UK has just done a sports-touring tyre test and the RoadSmart came out equal top with the Pirelli equivalent (against all the usual suspects - Avon Storm, BT-021, Pilot Road 2 etc). I haven't read the whole article yet (just skipped to the conclusion) but they tested for grip, stability, feel etc. Wear was not tested as it was a short test but they reckoned the RoadSmart should wear better than the Pirelli because it's dual compound and the Pirelli isn't.

PhilS
05-04-2008, 06:05 PM
Ok - this sucks wildly!!!!:angryfire :suicide:

I just bought these Avon Storm ST's and I love them!!! So today, after only having the tires for 100 or so miles and I got a big copper nail right in the middle of the rear tire tread!!!!:eek2: I went 4000 miles puncture free on the stock rubber.

But - I just pulled out my Avon warranty which tells me I get a brand new one free of charge. All I got to pay for is remounting and balancing - about $30 or so.

I will report on the Avon Road Hazard warranty process as it happens.

Anyone else dealt with them on Warranty?

TWTourist
05-04-2008, 07:02 PM
I have not dealt with Avon myself but have heard only good things about their warranty. I use to run their AV45/46 on my '03 Bandit and FJR.

bones
05-04-2008, 11:11 PM
Phil that sucks! Hope it gets cleared up minimal hassle.

GregH
05-05-2008, 10:01 AM
Phil,
You've got to stay away from those construction sites!

A1A
05-05-2008, 12:06 PM
:chug: Phil,

Thanks for taking time to post pic's and do the write up on the Avon Strom ST tires. Really sorry to hear about the rotten luck with the copper nail in the rear tire. I hope the Avon warranty will come through for you and replace the tire. Keep us informed my friend, as those are the tires I'll be getting for my Bandit pretty soon.

Cheers!

:chug:

PhilS
05-05-2008, 12:39 PM
:chug: Phil,

Thanks for taking time to post pic's and do the write up on the Avon Strom ST tires. Really sorry to hear about the rotten luck with the copper nail in the rear tire. I hope the Avon warranty will come through for you and replace the tire. Keep us informed my friend, as those are the tires I'll be getting for my Bandit pretty soon.

Cheers!

:chug:

Called Avon this morning - VERY HELPFUL.

They told me to go to an Avon dealer and have them make the official call that it is in fact "a nail" (duh) and if they have the tire in stock, it's a done deal. If it's not in stock (which it isn't of course) they will UPS ground it and a week later I get a new tire and I'm $40 for the swap if I bring the wheel only, or $70 if I drive it in.

So for a week, I got no bike to ride. If all goes well, it will rain or monsoon here in Ohio for the next 7 days and this will be a non-issue. But of couse, the outlook is beautiful!!!!!:sun:

This is a great warranty as I was told by the dealer that patches are not used anyway. Either way, I'm off to get a new "$40" tire.

Phil

bones
05-05-2008, 12:55 PM
Plug it and run the *** and replace with the warr. tire at a later date.

GregH
05-05-2008, 04:24 PM
Plug it and run the *** and replace with the warr. tire at a later date.
+1
I put a nail into the stock rear tire 300 miles after I picked up the bike. I'm now over 4,000 miles...on the plug! :clap:

PhilS
05-05-2008, 08:31 PM
+1
I put a nail into the stock rear tire 300 miles after I picked up the bike. I'm now over 4,000 miles...on the plug! :clap:

I may do that on the next tire. But as for this one, Avon is handling for free.

Here's how it works:

You go to an Avon dealer of some sort, preferrably one where they have your tire in stock. The dealer calls Avon with tire tread depth and some view on what happened, the tire type and size, as well as the DOT number. They email back and forth a couple times, then POOF, if they have your tire in stock you get it mounted and you pay only for the labor. If not in stock, a tire is in UPS on it's way to the dealer and a week later your cruising again. They will do this once per tire under the free Road Hazard plan.

Mine is leaking about 5lbs per day. I am taking this one off the bike myself so at least it'll give me a reason to play with alignment and clean up more dirt and crap.

Phil

CBRider
05-05-2008, 09:47 PM
Mine is leaking about 5lbs per day.
Phil

Hi Phil,
Sorry to hear about a nail in that BRAND NEW TIRE!:eek2:

Thats what I really like about tubeless tires though. Pick up a nail on a rim with tube tires and you are walking home...

Maybe some guy will make a mistake and send your new tire by next-day air!

CBR

GregH
05-06-2008, 09:34 PM
So I guess you have to give them back the nailed tire?

PhilS
05-06-2008, 09:37 PM
So I guess you have to give them back the nailed tire?

Actually, that's an intersting question. The new tire is on the way here and I will have it mounted most likely next-week mid-week. I will ask about the tire then, but realistically, I don't want a Brand New Tire with a plug in it...............would you?

bones
05-06-2008, 10:17 PM
Actually, that's an intersting question. The new tire is on the way here and I will have it mounted most likely next-week mid-week. I will ask about the tire then, but realistically, I don't want a Brand New Tire with a plug in it...............would you?
Yes I would please. Like I said, I'd run it. I have ran plugs in cars for 40K plus and in a bike for a few thousand. Same as patching a tube in my KLR and I still ran those tubes until I sold it.

GregH
05-07-2008, 10:51 AM
Phil,
If they'll let you keep the tire - would you ship it to me? (I'll refund shipping and enough for a case of good beer.)

suzukijo
05-08-2008, 09:00 PM
Michelin Pilot Road 2 front tire update. with 14,125 miles total on my bike,
this tire went 3,995 mi. with zero tread depth left, it is not a nice front tire.
bike wants to fall into corners, and heavy handlebar input is needed to keep a smooth line thru the corners. plenty tread left in the center, but i wear fronts out in a 'V' shape.

i'll probably put a pirelli diable rosso, to match the rear.

overall the front tire worked well, and felt fine in damp road weather.

http://img329.imageshack.us/img329/7046/img3882wg1.jpg

sproggy
05-09-2008, 03:39 AM
I don't think you can expect to get the best performance from a tyre (in terms of handling characteristics) when it's paired with a completely different make at the other end. If the profiles are different (which is very likely with two different manufacturers) between front and rear there are bound to be undesirable side effects. Then there's differences in construction, sidewall stiffness etc between front and rear which will further exacerbate the problem.

What made you combine the Pilot Road front with a Diablo Rosso rear in the first place?

goathead
05-09-2008, 09:26 AM
Michelin Pilot Road 2 front tire update. with 14,125 miles total on my bike,
this tire went 3,995 mi. with zero tread depth left, it is not a nice front tire.
bike wants to fall into corners, and heavy handlebar input is needed to keep a smooth line thru the corners. plenty tread left in the center, but i wear fronts out in a 'V' shape.

i'll probably put a pirelli diable rosso, to match the rear.

overall the front tire worked well, and felt fine in damp road weather.

http://img329.imageshack.us/img329/7046/img3882wg1.jpg

After seeing all of your pictures of those great curvy roads, I bet your front tire thinks it was a fun 3,995 mi. - or at least you do. Looking forward to reading about how you wear out the next one.

Chris

suzukijo
05-09-2008, 08:34 PM
http://img116.imageshack.us/img116/4667/img3884fg5.jpg

looking online, cycle gear has a tire special now, 05/09/08 so i bought a package deal for older pirelli tires. in the meantime since my front is really worn out, friend gave me a take-off from his bike, which is still in good shape.

i have no reservations about mixing tires, as both front and rear are made for different applications. i would be nice to simply put 2 new tires on at a time, but call me cheap or frugal, i try to get what i can out of them before i take them off.

sproggy, the reason i put the pirelli on the back with the front michelin, was simply because the michelin wanst worn out yet. for no other reason.
i had plans on putting a new pirelli on, (to get a matching set) but in the meantime this metzler will do me till they, both front and rear (always gonna need another rear) arrive.

it doesnt take long....

http://img180.imageshack.us/img180/7421/img3885pu3.jpg

suzukijo
05-09-2008, 10:20 PM
After seeing all of your pictures of those great curvy roads, I bet your front tire thinks it was a fun 3,995 mi. - or at least you do. Looking forward to reading about how you wear out the next one.

Chris

i've posted this before, but heres a link to one road, reason my tires dont last. i have fun, maybe not my tires.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K97koot32MQ

and for laughs, http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CmYDgncMhXw&feature=related

labandit
05-10-2008, 06:38 PM
So who has the best warranty?:flip:

PhilS
05-10-2008, 10:02 PM
So who has the best warranty?:flip:

I have not studied all of them or even most, but I can tell you Avon gives you a free tire for damage or puncture 100% free down to a well-defined tread depth listed on the Road Hazard form. My puncture from last week on my brand new 100 mile tire will be replaced with a new tire by next Thursday. They give you one freebie per tire. So now I can screw up the front and still be in warranty!!!

Anyone else know about warranties?

PhilS
05-14-2008, 05:42 PM
Update on the Avon tire puncture situation:

I took my wheel off last night carefully marking the well aligned adjusters with a sharpie. As I dropped off the wheel at the dealer, UPS showed up with my tire from Avon. They installed it and $40 later I had a new Avon Storm ST. Avon wanted the punctured tire back - sorry guys.

When I installed the wheel, I removed the chain guard, took a straight edge and placed it on top of the chain, on top of the sprocket, touching both front and rear edges of the tire, and extending forward up the chain. This gave me a view of tire to chain alignment. I made a slight adjustment, test rode it, and we're back in business. I am sure this is not an accurate way of doing things as it's too simple, but it seemed fine and all seems lined up.:trust:

Onward...:rider:

whitesands
05-14-2008, 09:35 PM
i've posted this before, but heres a link to one road, reason my tires dont last. i have fun, maybe not my tires.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K97koot32MQ

and for laughs, http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CmYDgncMhXw&feature=related

Nice video.....Those roads are really cool..

suzukijo
05-15-2008, 12:53 AM
Nice video.....Those roads are really cool..

i was holding the camera by hand, and it took a while before i rested it on the shield, to stablize it from shaking. i lucked out at the end with a few riders coming by to give it some depth, the rest of the road has much of the same beuaty, my small camera takes 2 min thats it.

(oops, previous script illegible, as my hand moved one key sideways, and i didnt read it, sorry obout that, it looked like i was drunk, laughs)

Roy
05-15-2008, 07:00 AM
Thinking of a another long riding/camping trip over the memorial day weekend so I ordered a set of Michelin Pilot Road 2's yesterday. I should have them mounted by next tuesday. Hittin the road next thursday after work:rider:

rworm
05-17-2008, 07:31 AM
6:30am and fixin to leave with the guys and head up Hwy 65 towards Branson/Put the new supermax on the rear and ran around about 10 miles late last nite just to do check that all is ready/just wanted to throw a quik pic your way/happy riding guys:rider: :rider: :rider:
rworm
http://i253.photobucket.com/albums/hh44/robertworm/bandit137.jpg

Willie
05-17-2008, 04:01 PM
6:30am and fixin to leave with the guys and head up Hwy 65 towards Branson/Put the new supermax on the rear and ran around about 10 miles late last nite just to do check that all is ready/just wanted to throw a quik pic your way/happy riding guys:rider: :rider: :rider:
rworm

I thought I heard you leave....

PhilS
05-17-2008, 04:34 PM
Hey Rworm?

How is the black paint holding up on the header and CAT?

rworm
05-18-2008, 08:22 PM
Hey Rworm?

How is the black paint holding up on the header and CAT?
BLACK:mrgreen:
rworm

suzukijo
05-18-2008, 11:18 PM
metzler front showing peculiar wear pattern as it nears wear limit.

http://img218.imageshack.us/img218/5686/img4209ki2.jpg

GregH
05-19-2008, 01:43 PM
Is that a tear or did something slice the tire and it's pulled back?

suzukijo
05-19-2008, 08:30 PM
the little rubber flap sticking up, is at one of the rain grooves, which is how the tire is made. they are at 90 degrees every other radial groove, along the tread, and all are like the one in previous post. this was a used tire, when i got it, someone elses takeoff, so it could be the effect of hardness from age. new tires coming, none too soon.

http://img144.imageshack.us/img144/184/img4212kg5.jpg

but nothing like new rubber!

http://img254.imageshack.us/img254/8446/img4217jj9.jpg

whitesands
05-21-2008, 04:40 PM
Wow..the front was worn....Must be a huge difference going to a new tire after riding on that thing.

suzukijo
05-21-2008, 11:42 PM
any new tire, feels great to me. the stock rubber which didnt last that long, even tho i was taking it easy, was good.

as well as the michelin pilot road, both front and rear. i thought i would try the pirellis this time, and now with the new front, and semi new rear, its smooth sailing. i seem to be hard on a lot of things, tires, brake pads (3rd set at 15,000 mi, fronts still ok).

67 miles, i had to take the long way home because of Ca wildfire up san fran cyn tonite.

http://img388.imageshack.us/img388/4941/img4221nn3.jpg

the white dots on the inside of the grooves are from the paint like markings on the tire when new.
i'm fascinated by the actual pattern of the wear on the rubber, direction and surface pattern, as they are used.

SteelD
05-23-2008, 04:51 AM
this was a used tire, when i got it, someone elses takeoff
I'm afraid I would never fit and use a second-hand tyre and the tread on that one looks way past its best. I don't know what regulations you have where you are but that tyre would be too worn and illegal where I live.

suzukijo
05-23-2008, 10:24 AM
I'm afraid I would never fit and use a second-hand tyre and the tread on that one looks way past its best. I don't know what regulations you have where you are but that tyre would be too worn and illegal where I live.

page 11, post 211, has a picture of the used tire, when I got it, showing it has plenty of tread depth left. the picture of it past the wear limits, with no tread showing, is a picture of it worn out, about 1k mi later. I'm sure there is a law, specifying available tread depth, but i doubt a chp unit would pull someone over simply for that.

it would be easy to replace tires as soon as the twi shows, but i try to be frugal and use them up. 5 fronts and 4 rears in 15k mi. its difficult to read someone elses post on how great some tire is, when they first put it on, just about any tire is spectacular when new. how it feels when 1/2 worn out or twi showing is also of benefit, but seldom explained.

all too often, i see some tire that has plenty of tread left, on the sides, but is worn flat square in the middle if its a rear. my style of riding is not as most others, with the rear worn out across the width of the tire, and the fronts wear out in a V, with plenty tread left on the center.

I am not encouraging others to ride with bald tires, i'm just posting pictures of what my tires look like when i remove them.

I also read where sometimes other get 6k, 8k, 10k out of their tire, and it is presented in a manner such that one would expect that amount of mileage from that brand of tire, no matter how they ride, which is rediculous.

I like pictures of new tires, and pictures of old worn out tires.
I like looking at the actual pattern of the worn rubber, and how the tread blocks move in relation to the load path.

post a close up picture of your tire here.

http://img383.imageshack.us/img383/8831/img4223yn2.jpg

steeld, i'd smile more, your face is going to break and its gonna stay that way.

SteelD
05-23-2008, 11:07 AM
page 11, post 211, has a picture of the used tire, when I got it, showing it has plenty of tread depth left. the picture of it past the wear limits, with no tread showing, is a picture of it worn out, about 1k mi later. I'm sure there is a law, specifying available tread depth, but i doubt a chp unit would pull someone over simply for that.

OK, not so bad if you've got it from a friend and it has a known history. If it was from an unknown source you might not know what internal damage the tyre might have suffered from a smash even if it was showing some good tread on the outside. Tyres and brakes are the main things my neck depends on when riding and I wouldn't risk an unknown quantity with those.

Looking at the pic of it when you got it, I am wondering how you managed to scrub so much tread off in just 1k miles.

Where I am (in the UK) the regs are 1.6mm tread depth across the tyre and anything below that is deemed an offence. Besides, I can feel a tyre going off well before then anyway. When new tyres are freshly broken in, the bike feels solid and you can lean it with confidence. When they're on their way out, I find the front tyre feels skittish over lines and road seams and the bike is less stable. I normally change mine well before the legal limit because I value my neck. Then again, where you are the roads might be dry almost all the time and you might get enough grip from an almost slick tyre. Here, when it rains, a good tyre with tread to clear the water and flex a little for grip becomes a life-saver.

steeld, i'd smile more, your face is going to break and its gonna stay that way.
I have smiled at least once in my life. I think it was when I got my new Bandit. :rofl:

Brass
05-23-2008, 01:40 PM
Joe,

Keep posting pics of your tires and reporting on them. While I'll likely never wear a tire the way you do, (for many reasons) I always look forward to reading what you have to say and also seeing how that tire has worn.
Knowing how that tire has held up and worn on the sides on the same bike as what's in my garage is extremely helpful.
Any tire will work well when it's only ridden on the center portion, it's the side grip, flex, feel and wear that guys like me won't know about because we just don't spend enough time with our bikes leaned over. Thanks and keep ‘em coming.

suzukijo
05-23-2008, 02:59 PM
Looking at the pic of it when you got it, I am wondering how you managed to scrub so much tread off in just 1k miles....snip by suzukijo....

how the tire got worn out is posted here. (i knew the previous owner)
http://www.twtex.com/forums/showthread.php?t=27980

Ken Phenix
05-23-2008, 10:50 PM
http://kphenix.smugmug.com/photos/300091372_dzu3G-L.jpg
Well, in case you're wondering why there's a silver wheel on the front of my black Bandit click here:
http://www.twtex.com/forums/showthread.php?t=28017

This otherwise unfortunate event has given me an opportunity to do a little tire comparison. My first tire replacement back in '05 was a MEz4 Metzeler which was an improvement over the worn OEM tire but seemed to scrub a little in high speed turns. The used silver wheel came with an almost new MEz4. Granted, the tire may have been sitting around for a couple of years but nonetheless I have reaffirmed that the MEz4 does not have as much lateral stickum (highly technical term) as the Avon AV59 Viper Sport I've grown accustomed to. I'll have the new wheel and Viper on the bike ASAP and I'll ba a happy camper again. It's good to know my Avon AV59 / AV56 tire preference isn't just all in my head. :loco:

suzukijo
05-24-2008, 12:31 PM
http://img101.imageshack.us/img101/8379/img4225wc0.jpg

i just thought it was interesting picture.

SteelD
05-24-2008, 06:26 PM
http://img101.imageshack.us/img101/8379/img4225wc0.jpg

i just thought it was interesting picture.
It's very interesting. What is it?

CBRider
05-24-2008, 08:14 PM

I would guess that it shows the temperature of the cross section of a tire, with the part contacting the ground while leaned into a turn being the hottest area.

Just a guess.

CBR

Marc B
05-24-2008, 09:05 PM
JO, How many miles did you get out of your Pilot Roads ?

whitesands
05-24-2008, 09:27 PM
Cool pic...You can see where the heat is.

suzukijo
05-25-2008, 01:35 AM
JO, How many miles did you get out of your Pilot Roads ?

good question. the pilot roads were good tires, even in worn out conditions.
rear michelin pilot road (not the 2 version) went 5,166 milies
front michelin pilot road 2 went 4,130 miles.

i have a lot of bad habits. i drag the brakes (you shouldnt), i slip the clutch (you shouldnt), and all sorts of other quirky little things, like I pull in the clutch in a turn (i can only guess this makes the bike 'fall into it easier'), and slip the clutch coming out. another bad habit is i blip the throttle on both upshifts and downshifts (i think the highest speed i ever downshifted to 1st was about 60 mph, you'd blip the throttle too).

my last front tire, a used metzler, was simply a donated used tire to use in the meantime, while the new ones i ordered came in. a pair of pirelli diablo from cycle gear for $200 on sale.

for me, it seems like a good rear can last 4-5k, and front 3-4k.
and i am certainly not throwing them away when they flat the center portion on the rear, i try to use them up.
fronts are another story, i dont think any of the manufacturers make them with a dual compound that has the hard rubber in a V on the sides.

i am interested in trying Avons latest.

when the front wears out, the bike is more difficult to hold steady in a turn as it wants to 'fall in' and there is noticably more effort to push the bars.

i think post 99 in this thread had a mi update for me at the time.

i think from now on, i'm gonna keep an extra one front and rear.

http://img58.imageshack.us/img58/8239/img4228vi6.jpg

suzukijo
05-25-2008, 01:42 AM

comparing sidewal height from one side to the other, it shows the sidewall flex when leaned over, and as cbr noticed, the heat created and where its hottest.

next time i take off a tire, i'm gonna cut it open and look at its cross section.
just some stupid idea of mine.

visiting the local cafe, one kid who parked out front, was riding a '07 yamaha R6. talking to him about his bike, he bragged how his bike was a hayabusa eater, and his bike make over 150 hp, and was capable of beating anything down the canyon. I asked him which canyon, and he described a straight section between 2 local villages nearby.

keeping my self from telling him he was a complete idiot, (my friend with me owns 5 hayabusa, yes 5) i simply took a picture of her rear tire. yup, looks like he was an idiot.

http://img100.imageshack.us/img100/1713/img4288xb8.jpg

A1A
06-12-2008, 10:09 PM
I got 4413 miles on the rear stock Dunlop and could have went to 4,500. But I sure hate riding on thin rubber and wear bars. I went ahead and replaced both front and rear with the new Avon Strom ST, AV55 and AV56. Its to early for me to compare the Avons to the Dunlop stockers. One thing I did notice on my ride home from the Dealer. The ride felt a little softer or the bumps in the rode felt more cushioned.
I can't wait to really test the new tires out after scuffing them in good. I do believe I'm going to really like them though.

PhilS
06-12-2008, 10:19 PM
I got 4413 miles on the rear stock Dunlop and could have went to 4,500. But I sure hate riding on thin rubber and wear bars. I went ahead and replaced both front and rear with the new Avon Strom ST, AV55 and AV56. Its to early for me to compare the Avons to the Dunlop stockers. One thing I did notice on my ride home from the Dealer. The ride felt a little softer or the bumps in the rode felt more cushioned.
I can't wait to really test the new tires out after scuffing them in good. I do believe I'm going to really like them though.

Open your helmet (if you wear one) and run about 30 mph and pull the clutch and let the bike be quiet. Can you hear the tires roaring or humming a bit? Mine do and I guess I am getting used to it. Perhaps it's all the rubber my Dunlops "did not have" after 4000 miles that's making the sounds. Very smooth though. Other than than - "Man" do these tires feel great.

A1A
06-12-2008, 10:58 PM
Open your helmet (if you wear one) and run about 30 mph and pull the clutch and let the bike be quiet. Can you hear the tires roaring or humming a bit? Mine do and I guess I am getting used to it. Perhaps it's all the rubber my Dunlops "did not have" after 4000 miles that's making the sounds. Very smooth though. Other than than - "Man" do these tires feel great.

I'll check mine at 30 mph and get back to you. I remember in one of your posts about you saying you heard the tires making a road noise. I did try to here tire noise on my way home from the Dealer. But was traveling faster than 30 mph and didn't hear any road noise from the tires.
Phil, are you getting the noise from both the front and the rear tires?

Brass
06-13-2008, 09:28 AM
Since the only consistent thing about tires seems to be, that we all need them and one of the forum members here was recently bent over and reamed when he purchased a set from his local dealer. I’d like to ask what I hope is a simple question (somehow I know it won’t be).

Who is the best (cheapest) source for tires?

Roy
06-13-2008, 10:09 AM
Since the only consistent thing about tires seems to be, that we all need them and one of the forum members here was recently bent over and reamed when he purchased a set from his local dealer. Id like to ask what I hope is a simple question (somehow I know it wont be).

For michelins stateside its www.sportbiketrackgear.com hard to beat $304.95 to the door on Pilot road 2's. They are located in michigan.

Roy
06-13-2008, 10:10 AM
I have not noticed any road noise from the pilot Road 2's or Pilot Powers that I ahve run. The Road 2's are awesome wet or dry!!

PhilS
06-13-2008, 05:24 PM
I'll check mine at 30 mph and get back to you. I remember in one of your posts about you saying you heard the tires making a road noise. I did try to here tire noise on my way home from the Dealer. But was traveling faster than 30 mph and didn't hear any road noise from the tires.
Phil, are you getting the noise from both the front and the rear tires?

Can't really tell - and it's not drastic, it's just different from the stock tires. 30MPH was just a random speed slow enough to hear things and fast enough to get them moving. It's getting less and less by the day. It's probably just me.

A1A
06-13-2008, 09:39 PM
Can't really tell - and it's not drastic, it's just different from the stock tires. 30MPH was just a random speed slow enough to hear things and fast enough to get them moving. It's getting less and less by the day. It's probably just me.

Phil,
I did a short 30 mile spin on the bike today before work. I'm well pleased with these tires and glad I made the Avon choice. I could not hear any rode noise at any speed from the tires. The handling is superb and will say its the best tire I've had on any sport or naked bike. If the tire wear longevity is as good as the handling I've found Nirvanna in tires.

Cheers!

A1A
06-14-2008, 02:38 PM
Since the only consistent thing about tires seems to be, that we all need them and one of the forum members here was recently bent over and reamed when he purchased a set from his local dealer. I’d like to ask what I hope is a simple question (somehow I know it won’t be).

I really don't think there is such a thing as a cheap inexpensive motorcycle tire. But here is a list of some places to check out.

http://www.motorcycleproshop.com

http:www.americanmototire.com/catalog

http:www.swmototires.com

http:www.denniskirk.com

HTH's

Brass
06-14-2008, 07:28 PM
Thanks for the links. I agree, cheap motorcycle tires don't exist and I wouldn’t want to ride on “budget” tires to start with.
With so many sources for tires, it’s not easy to find the best deal though.