• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

High beam indicator light required?

jbh

Reaction score
First Name
Brad
Last Name
Henderson
I am trying to plate my DRZ 250. I have the headlight working (dual element) with a toggle switch. When I try to wire a in line led light to the high beam wire it will light up but the high beam will not activate. It is like the light is not letting enough juice get to the light? When I take it out of the series the high beam works fine.

Anyone have this problem before?

Also is it required to have this indicator light? I have seen posts saying different things.

Thanks.

You need to wire the LED in parallel with the high beam, not in series. That should do it.

Steve

Ive never had mine checked, they always ask me to turn the high beam on when they are in front of me.

The little blue light is required by law though.

Nevermind, I'm wrong

When I try to wire a in line led light to the high beam wire it will light up but the high beam will not activate.

You need to wire the LED in parallel with the high beam, not in series.

Yep, not enough voltage drop for both lights in series. If it is a normal 12V incandescent bulb, just wire it in parallel with the high beam. If it is a LED, you probably need to add a current limiting resistor - about 240 ohms for a 50 mA LED. Add that in series to the LED and wire the result in parallel with the high beam.

idiot light for the high beam is not required, only that the high beam works. If you want it, parallel is the way to go. I don't even think putting the LED after the headlamp in series would work.

Rode my 450X to work again today. Need new gearing for the road in a bad way...:argh:

Many Many Many moons ago I had a car fail a Texas state inspection because I did not have a high beam indicator light. I have no idea if the "rules" have changed, but it would be my guess that they have not.

I got it to work with the parallel hookup. My light it red but I can return it for a blue one. Now I got to return the brake light switch, the thread patter was not correct, even though I told them what type of bike it was.

Back