• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

Crashbars

penno

Reaction score
Hey guys

Anyone got experience with these sw-motech crashbars? I've been learning to wheelie (hey I've seen a google vid, what else do I need to know), and I'm thinking I might end up dropping this thing. Also, they say there's two kinds of bike riders, those who've dropped their bikes, and those who are going to. ;-) Dunno if that's true or not, but I think I'm gonna be in the latter category. For now! hahaha

ANyways, would like some protection, and these things look like part of the bike. I like them more than these GSGs (scroll down for the bandit 1250 pic). But i guess the first priority is what works best. Any opinions?

Penno

I'm waiting for Dale Walker's Nerf Bars which should be available within a couple of weeks. They're designed to protect the engine case but not the farkles. (www.holeshot.com)

Beyond protecting the bike: are you wearing gear to protect yourself? Fixing your elbow or pelvis will be much more expensive than fixing the Bandit. Gear up and ride safe.

I'm waiting for Dale Walker's Nerf Bars which should be available within a couple of weeks. They're designed to protect the engine case but not the farkles. (www.holeshot.com)

Beyond protecting the bike: are you wearing gear to protect yourself? Fixing your elbow or pelvis will be much more expensive than fixing the Bandit. Gear up and ride safe.
Hey Greg

Yeah I forgot about the nerf bars... The ones for the 1200 look good. And being one of Dale's products - I bet they just *work*. I'll keep them in mind.

Ah, yup. I am prepared. Also, my wheelie exploits end at under 40km/h (~25mph). I've no interest in high-speed wheelies. I dare say once I drop it, I'll have no interest in wheelies. ;-) But maybe not. Hey ya don't know if ya don't try. :mrgreen:

I figured that by next summer I'd have enough Bandit miles under my belt to start working on wheelies, myself. Keep us posted on your progress.

Hey guys

Anyone got experience with these sw-motech crashbars? I've been learning to wheelie (hey I've seen a google vid, what else do I need to know), and I'm thinking I might end up dropping this thing. Also, they say there's two kinds of bike riders, those who've dropped their bikes, and those who are going to. ;-) Dunno if that's true or not, but I think I'm gonna be in the latter category. For now! hahaha

ANyways, would like some protection, and these things look like part of the bike. I like them more than these GSGs (scroll down for the bandit 1250 pic). But i guess the first priority is what works best. Any opinions?

Penno

I know the SW-Motech ones are powder coated carbon steel and they look pretty good. But wouldn't mind paying a little more for powder coated stainless steel. If they ever made them out of stainless steel.

The GSG's don't look to bad either. Except I'm wondering if they would have to be disassembled. Every time to remove/replace the oil filter during oil sevices?

So, has anyone bought sliders or crash bars for the Bandit1250? If so, cacn we get some pics?? I am looking for some winter money to spend....like on these and the Cox cover.

Phil

As soon as Dale gets the Nerf Bars shipping I'll shoot a pic. I plan to be the first in line...:clap:

I don't know about the bars, but the way to learn to wheelie is on a dirt bike on dirt. Hurts you less, hurts the bike less.

Heard anymore from Dale at HoleShot about the availability of the Nerf Bars?

Dale has the parts cut and found a supplier for the long bolt he needed. However, the bolts have to be anodized (or something) and the parts need to be welded. He told me the Nerf Bars are the next project to come out of the shop.
Two weeks ago he told me it would be "a couple of weeks." I'm hoping for news soon.

Dale has the parts cut and found a supplier for the long bolt he needed. However, the bolts have to be anodized (or something) and the parts need to be welded. He told me the Nerf Bars are the next project to come out of the shop.
Two weeks ago he told me it would be "a couple of weeks." I'm hoping for news soon.

Thank you GregH,:thumb:

I'm just holding off until I see what Dale designs for the Bandit 1250.

:rider:

Dale Walker told me the Nerf Bars should be shipping Jan-08. He won't have them ready until he reopens the shop after Christmas. They should be good when they get here, though. :rider:

Usually engine protection (crash bars) or sliders will only reduce or limit damage but not eliminate it completely. To even lesser extents of protection at speed. Thought you should know.;-)

They've been tested in the real world. Here is a link to a thread where Nerf Bars "in use" are discussed.

(Note to Moderator: Please excuse the cross-post.)

Richard,
Dale hasn't given me a number but I imagine it will be close to the $159 he charges for the B1200 Nerf Bars.

I mounted the sw-motech bars.. Very good quality. the mounting holes are true. The shifting mechanism has to be propped up slightly, I used a bottle jack, and there is one through bolt that could use a second pair of hands on the other side of the bike to torque down.

I added highway bars. Since the bars are slightly oversized at 1.09" I used cheapos that clamp on the bars with flat stock so they could be bent to accommodate the odd size. See a pic at:

http://www.kodakgallery.com/I.jsp?c=19hrz5eh.60b4in0d&x=0&y=bbkit9

Ed G.

Moderation in all things, including moderation
Oscar Wilde

TwistedTrottle is pretty good. I ordered a set of engine bars for my baby Nighthawk and delivery was prompt and complete :thumb:

Happy New Year To All!

I was wondering if anybody has the SW-Motech crashbars on there Bandit 1250?
I really like the looks and the way these crashbars blend into the engine and frame on the bike.
Here are the crashbars http://www.twistedthrottle.com

Item SBL.05.383.100
I'd sure like to see a couple of pictures of how the right side mount up and look on the Bandit 1250.

:rider:

Back