PDA

View Full Version : Cox Radiator Guard Installation

GregH
11-18-2007, 08:00 PM
I installed the Cox Racingroup (only one "g") Radiator Guard on my Bandit 1250S today.
Here is the Guard new-in-the-box:
http://pic18.picturetrail.com/VOL865/4143694/16192738/289083277.jpg

GregH
11-18-2007, 08:01 PM
Next, I unbolted the radiator using a 10mm hex socket:
http://pic18.picturetrail.com/VOL865/4143694/16192738/289083280.jpg

GregH
11-18-2007, 08:02 PM
Here is my placement of the foam strips along the top of the radiator guard frame:
http://pic18.picturetrail.com/VOL865/4143694/16192738/289083279.jpg

GregH
11-18-2007, 08:05 PM
The instructions were unclear to me as far as foam placement along the bottom. I tried it on the back of the bracket, on the radiator itself, inside the frame of the guard. I ended up simply putting the foam along the inside of the guard frame and compressing them in as I slipped the brackets to the back.
The picture shows my placement:
http://pic18.picturetrail.com/VOL865/4143694/16192738/289083283.jpg

GregH
11-18-2007, 08:07 PM
Finally, I pushed the top of the frame up, compressing the foam there, and put the securing bolts back in.
All finished and installed:
http://pic18.picturetrail.com/VOL865/4143694/16192738/289083282.jpg

GregH
11-18-2007, 08:16 PM
Road report:
I rode the Bandit with the guard installed and it doesn't rattle. The guard is on there snug and tight. Tiny pebbles and sand can get through the mesh but not much else. So far, so good. I figure it's cheap insurance for the radiator.

Graubart
11-18-2007, 08:45 PM
That's about as much skin as I want to see from you Greg!!!!:lol2:

Great looking install! :sun:

GregH
11-18-2007, 09:49 PM
Yeah, I was re-positioning the foam with my legs under the bike.
It was easier to just shoot the photo with the guard on my legs rather than getting up and setting it back on the workbench. By this time, I'd re-positioned the foam pieces about a dozen times and my patience was wearing thin. :giveup:

Roy
11-19-2007, 11:15 AM
Yeah, I was re-positioning the foam with my legs under the bike.
It was easier to just shoot the photo with the guard on my legs rather than getting up and setting it back on the workbench. By this time, I'd re-positioned the foam pieces about a dozen times and my patience was wearing thin. :giveup:

My patience wore thin on my install also. The instructions were terrible on foam placement. I really don't see why a lower mount was not simply added on instead of the hook type mount he used. The foam never has been a problem on my GSXR installs but they are held on at the top with zip-ties that are a pain to thread through. Once on though you should never have to remove it unless on the 1250 you have to remove the radiator for some reason. I put four foam pieces across the top equally spaced, at the bottom I did a piece of foam in each lower corner and 1 piece on the inside of lower brackets and two pieces on the back of the hook lower brackets. The guard is not touching the radiator anywhere but it was not an easy install achieving this. A simple bracket on the lower welded onto the guard and utilizing the lower radiator mount would have been so much easier

GregH
11-19-2007, 03:02 PM
...A simple bracket on the lower welded onto the guard and utilizing the lower radiator mount would have been so much easier
I was having the same thought while messing with the foam on the bottom. I thought, "There's a bolt right there. Why couldn't we have used that one, too?"

PhilS
11-23-2007, 08:43 PM
Greg/Roy:

I noticed the first picture or so shows a couple zip-ties. Why are those used and where?

Phil

GregH
11-23-2007, 09:20 PM
The zip-ties are used in installations on different bikes. They're not used for the Bandit.

PhilS
01-15-2008, 08:57 PM
Greg:

You had anything hit the guard yet? I was wondering how it has held up and if the foam inserts have been OK holding the guard in place.

GregH
01-15-2008, 10:46 PM
No dents that I can see. The foam is holding up fine so far. I expect the real test will come this summer.

Roy
01-16-2008, 12:41 PM
Phil, I concure with what Greg said the foam on the mounts is not an issue. The guard is well made and very strong.

I am so glad I put one on my bike after my rock incident the other day. Best $90 bucks spent so far;-)

rrrr
01-24-2008, 04:01 PM
I just received mine and I had to remove some material between the two top mounting bolts. The ABS lines run low there. Only took out about 1/2 inch to make it fit.

treybrad
01-24-2008, 05:01 PM
I just received mine and I had to remove some material between the two top mounting bolts. The ABS lines run low there. Only took out about 1/2 inch to make it fit.

Yep. I sent mine back to Andrew at Cox to fix it for me. He isn't charging me anything, so I figured he'd do a more professional job than I could w/ my limited metal working tools.

I posted the heads-up for ABS owners in another thread, but this is a good reminder. Those w/ the ABS model may want to specify when ordering from Andrew... maybe he's started to ask?

trey

Roy
01-25-2008, 12:10 PM
Yep. I sent mine back to Andrew at Cox to fix it for me. He isn't charging me anything, so I figured he'd do a more professional job than I could w/ my limited metal working tools.

I posted the heads-up for ABS owners in another thread, but this is a good reminder. Those w/ the ABS model may want to specify when ordering from Andrew... maybe he's started to ask?

trey

I was unaware of a difference in the beginning when I 1st contacted him about doing a guard. I guess I should have researched it a little more. At the time and to this day not one ABS model has showed up locally at the dealer or on the road.

Glad he is taking care of it for you.

PhilS
01-31-2008, 08:39 AM
Hi Guys:

I ordered my radiator guard from Cox last week - thanks to a great Q4 and a bunch of money to spend on the Bandit!!!:rider:

I spoke with Andrew Cox and he was very informative and took the time to explain the engineering behind the guard and the coating choices. He was very nice to talk with and thanked me several times for the business - I like that a lot.

Even though I ordered Titanium, we decided on Silver as Andy said that Silver was actually a brushed aluminum look that best matched the radiator end caps. The Titanium is a dark gray, while Black is Black. I did not go with black mainly because black is the "slowest color" on motorcycle. (haha Greg).

So, it is due to arrive this week, thus, by the weekend it should be on and pics posted!! WooHoo!!!

Best $90 insurance policy one can spend, eh?

Stay tuned - more as it develops - film at 11 - your mileage may vary.

Phil

Roy
01-31-2008, 10:05 AM
Regardless of color Phil you will be happy with it. Put simply they work! I have already tested mine. I knew I would be the 1st to test it since I do alot of close contact high speed riding on our back roads and it always seems a radiator takes a hit from a rock. I had several hits back in the racing days and used his product back then with great success. Don't over anylyze the install it really is a easy install with the foam tabs and I have had mine off since the original install and it went back on easier than the original install.

treybrad
01-31-2008, 10:51 AM
I spoke with Andrew Cox and he was very informative and took the time to explain the engineering behind the guard and the coating choices. He was very nice to talk with and thanked me several times for the business - I like that a lot.

Did he ask if you had the ABS model, or did you volunteer the info from the start? Just curious if he's started to ask people since they're a little different. I emailed him last night to make sure that he'd received mine to modify for the ABS, I hope to get it back ASAP... just gotta keep those rocks away for a little longer...

trey

PhilS
01-31-2008, 04:27 PM
It never came up......and I don't. But he is a master at the details!!!!

PhilS
02-06-2008, 08:19 PM
Hey Guys:

My Cox in a Box arrived today!!!:trust:

So, like any self respecting male, I had to install it tonight regardless of how dang cold, wet, and rainy it was......Yippee!!!

I got the Silver one as Andy Cox told me it matched the radiator guards - which it did nicely.

I highly recommend this guard....

http://i195.photobucket.com/albums/z62/stearnsp/CoxGuard015.jpg

http://i195.photobucket.com/albums/z62/stearnsp/CoxGuard001.jpg

bones
02-06-2008, 08:57 PM
Looks sharp. I forget what color I ordered now, but should have it sometime soon.

rworm
02-06-2008, 09:24 PM
That stands out and looks good

rworm

Roy
02-07-2008, 09:09 AM
Looks nice Phil!!

GregH
02-07-2008, 09:46 PM
Hey Phil, the guard looks nice.
But you should have bought the faster black version! :rofl:
(Sorry, I simply couldn't resist.)

PhilS
02-07-2008, 09:58 PM
Hey Phil, the guard looks nice.
But you should have bought the faster black version! :rofl:
(Sorry, I simply couldn't resist.)

Let's face the facts. The only reason you think Black is faster is because it's so darn ugly, people are repelled from it at a high rate of speed. So, it's all really an illusion:lol2:

Actually, although I hate to admit it, the 2008 H-D VROD I was eyeballing tonight at the dealer was black, and I may buy it......if I can find an extra $15K. Chances are fair......who knows.

Good news is, it has a "built-in" radiator guard. Those Milwaukean's were thinkin'!!

GregH
02-07-2008, 10:11 PM
Ride the V-Rod before you dump the Bandit.
Ride the V-Rod in the hard corners at speed before you dump the Bandit.
Check the cost of insurance before you buy a V-Rod and dump the Bandit.

Keep the faith, and the Bandit.:rider:

PhilS
02-07-2008, 10:15 PM
Ride the V-Rod before you dump the Bandit.
Ride the V-Rod in the hard corners at speed before you dump the Bandit.
Check the cost of insurance before you buy a V-Rod and dump the Bandit.

Keep the faith, and the Bandit.:rider:

VROD or Softail Custom would be bike #2 - Keeping the Bandit!!

Thanks for the love.....

Roy
02-08-2008, 08:33 AM
I really like the look of the aluminum color sort of wish I had got that on my black bike. I have the aluminum color or silver on my GSX-R1000 but the radiator on it is not painted. Sometimes you can have too much black and the lines get lost on the bike.

GregH
02-08-2008, 10:01 AM
Thanks for the love...
You know it, brother.

PhilS
02-08-2008, 10:39 AM
You know it, brother.

Suprisingly I did not get crap for the H-D comments wanting to add one to the livery.

Now - it's the middle of the day - get back to work and quit reading TWTex posts!

Seriously, the install papers that came with the guard were simple to uderstand - especially "after" I read your posts. The concept was to have 2 foams on the back part of the bracket and two on the front basically "centering and holding" the radiator - then 4 along the top. If you magically compress them while lining it up, while standing on your head, and having two other arms to keep it all aigned while cursing, it goes quite easy.

Once I saw and read about your heartache, it all became obvious!

Thanks for taking one for the team.

Now read the post on the case guards.....

treybrad
02-08-2008, 10:43 AM
Well huh. The silver looks darn nice... kinda regret getting the black now. Oh well. Looks good Phil.

trey

KenB
02-08-2008, 11:22 PM
Phil - thanks for posting that picture! I was ready to pull the trigger on the black Cox radiator guard this weekend. But that silver guard looks nice and now I'm having second thoughts. I'm betting the silver hides bugs and road grim better too.

bones
02-09-2008, 10:23 AM
Wait a week or so and I will have mine on and you can see what you think on the blue bikes.

bones
02-21-2008, 08:42 PM
Wait a week or so and I will have mine on and you can see what you think on the blue bikes.
Well I got it toady in silver. looks real nice. Too cold here to adhear the pads, so it will wait until the weather warms up. My garage is like a meat locker the garage door is so crappy. :-P

Very happy with the service, took a bit longer as they were retooling when I ordered and mine has ABS, but I was in no rush either way.

bones
02-28-2008, 10:51 PM
Well I finally got around to installing it. Unsure what all the confusion was with mounting it. Add some foam pads in various locations to make sure it's not going to rub anywhere and bolt it on. 15 minutes later, whala. Seems flimsy to me, but I am still in my rockcrawling days where everything was 1/4" plate. :-P

All in all a fine product, even if it is overpriced IMO. Yeah yeah yeah it'll save the rad. which is spendy I know. still

Roy
02-29-2008, 06:33 AM
Well I finally got around to installing it. Unsure what all the confusion was with mounting it. Add some foam pads in various locations to make sure it's not going to rub anywhere and bolt it on. 15 minutes later, whala. Seems flimsy to me, but I am still in my rockcrawling days where everything was 1/4" plate. :-P

All in all a fine product, even if it is overpriced IMO. Yeah yeah yeah it'll save the rad. which is spendy I know. still

Flimsy not, already saved my radiator from two rock strikes. I posted the results a while back. not a blemish on the radiator at all.

bones
02-29-2008, 09:11 AM
I know, I saw that. Still seems flimsy to me and overpriced. Sure it works and I am glad it does for that coin.

Roy
02-29-2008, 09:40 AM
overpriced. .

I agree with that statement.

bones
02-29-2008, 09:43 AM
I agree with that statement.
and honestly that is my only real gripe. I was expecting more, not sure what, just more. haha

GregH
02-29-2008, 02:30 PM
and honestly that is my only real gripe...
Just look at it as a one-time insurance premium. :deal:

Roy
03-02-2008, 11:51 PM
Took another direct hit today out on a spirited ride. Dented the guard and lightly blemished the fins on the radiator. Guard was easily tapped out flat fins not so lucky but no leaks. Gray rock crap they have around here as roads is terrible so is following a liter bike too close:eek2: I also have 3 tattoo's on the front cowl:doh: afte that **** storm I passed the guy and went on my way to the front of the pack.:rider:

wow looks like I said a bad word :lol2:

KY Geezeer
03-04-2008, 06:17 PM
Roy: just for the sake of curiosity-- what is the price of a new radiator for the B1250? Inquiring minds (and cheapskates) want to know. Thx. :-)

Roy
03-04-2008, 07:01 PM
Roy: just for the sake of curiosity-- what is the price of a new radiator for the B1250? Inquiring minds (and cheapskates) want to know. Thx. :-)

Honestly I have not checked.

EDIT: I just checked this is from Ron Ayers

Parts found with Part Number: 17710-18H00
Description RADIATOR ASSY,W
Price $381.23

pricey

GregH
03-04-2008, 10:11 PM
That radiator guard is getting cheaper by the minute!

KY Geezeer
03-05-2008, 08:51 AM
Roy: Thx! The replacement price is not quite as bad as I thought, but bad enough to make the guard a mandatory purchase.
Greg: How very true! Getting less expensive every minute!

Roy
03-05-2008, 08:52 AM
That radiator guard is getting cheaper by the minute!

And to think I would have bought 3 radiators by now if not for the guard.:trust:

Sheep
04-11-2008, 01:14 AM
A curiosity question to you fellows who've installed the rad guard or considering it... Why didn't you consider a fender extender first if you travel rocky roads? Or is real problem that stuff is being thrown up by vehicles directly in front of you? Nothing has remotely come close to my Bandit rad in 4700mi... or am I playing Russian roulette?

I don't travel rocky roads but I've already got Fenda Extendas for both the Bandit 1250 and SV650 ready to install. The SV650 comes std with a guard over the oil rad... that is absolute must as it sits so low.

Roy
04-11-2008, 06:51 AM
A curiosity question to you fellows who've installed the rad guard or considering it... Why didn't you consider a fender extender first if you travel rocky roads? Or is real problem that stuff is being thrown up by vehicles directly in front of you? Nothing has remotely come close to my Bandit rad in 4700mi... or am I playing Russian roulette?

I don't travel rocky roads but I've already got Fenda Extendas for both the Bandit 1250 and SV650 ready to install. The SV650 comes std with a guard over the oil rad... that is absolute must as it sits so low.

My rocks did not come off my tire they came from other bikes in front of me. Straight on projectiles. Bandit 1250 radiator is hanging out in the breeze for anything to hit it trust me its happened 3 times to mine already.

bones
04-11-2008, 09:17 AM
I thought about a fender extender after my last trip in rain/gravel/dirt but have not pulled the trigger yet.

Can't imagine what it'd look like in the rear if I had chopped up the tail section like some do. Also wanting/needing a hugger since will continue to see gravel from time to time and I think it'd help a little.
http://30bones.smugmug.com/photos/275726694_9U5DE-L.jpg
http://30bones.smugmug.com/photos/275726801_N2b36-L-1.jpg

Sheep
04-11-2008, 12:38 PM
That there piece needs a brushless car wash... full works, LOL! I've got a hugger on my Bandit.

I actually got a naked SV650 for sparing the road slop all over the Bandit, particularly if I had to run some hard-packed dirt roads. Really did not want the WeeStrom. The SV absoutely needs a rad guard as it's more exposed (shorter front fender), and I'm going to get a Givi 750 or similar to bolt on for wind weather protection which can also be removed easily after trip. Also waiting on the rear hugger for it but Suzuki is backordered on them until end of April.

GregH
04-11-2008, 12:45 PM
A curiosity question to you fellows who've installed the rad guard or considering it... Why didn't you consider a fender extender first if you travel rocky roads?
I also put mine on to keep bugs, some of them pretty darn big, from gumming up the works. Easier to clean them off of the guard.

Sheep
04-11-2008, 01:02 PM
I also put mine on to keep bugs, some of them pretty darn big, from gumming up the works. Easier to clean them off of the guard.

Oh yeah, some of them around here are almost as big as the gulls. I had been considering a rad guard but need to find the "right" style with functionality. Don't care for the bright version of the Cox on the black Bandit... I have already had the rad side trim powdercoated black as those alum pieces looked too funky/blingy and stood out too too much. The black Cox would be my personal preference. But I'm convinced, the protection is cheap insurance against busted rad out in wilderness areas... though not worthy cow-catchers for renegade road deer!

bones
04-11-2008, 01:29 PM
Oh yeah, some of them around here are almost as big as the gulls. I had been considering a rad guard but need to find the "right" style with functionality. Don't care for the bright version of the Cox on the black Bandit... I have already had the rad side trim powdercoated black as those alum pieces looked too funky/blingy and stood out too too much. The black Cox would be my personal preference. But I'm convinced, the protection is cheap insurance against busted rad out in wilderness areas... though not worthy cow-catchers for renegade road deer!
Cox makes a black one. I wish I had went that route.

GregH
04-11-2008, 02:29 PM
I like the black one. The flash makes it a lot brighter than it looks in real life.

Sheep
04-11-2008, 10:07 PM
I'm going to get a black one... Cox is selling them on their site for $77 and also Googled SurfSideMoto.com ..... selling Suzuki guards (in more colors depending upon model & year) ranging from $57-$72. Will call and get details for the Bandit, and pick up a 2nd for the SV650. Maybe I can get 2 with free shipping deal... maybe, maybe.

Marc B
04-11-2008, 11:06 PM
I thought about a fender extender after my last trip in rain/gravel/dirt but have not pulled the trigger yet.

Can't imagine what it'd look like in the rear if I had chopped up the tail section like some do. Also wanting/needing a hugger since will continue to see gravel from time to time and I think it'd help a little.
http://30bones.smugmug.com/photos/275726694_9U5DE-L.jpg
http://30bones.smugmug.com/photos/275726801_N2b36-L-1.jpg

That is what we call well traveled, What kind and size are those tires? They almost look dual purp.

bones
04-11-2008, 11:12 PM
Just a cheapo Shinko 009 Raven and the stock front. I have a Skinko front also. So far so good.

No worries, it will continue to get dirty and well used.

Marc B
04-11-2008, 11:17 PM
Wish there was a way to make a radiator guard like we did on the Blvd C90, we used the metal over head oven range filters on the oil cooler, the oil cooler had a removable frame, you cut the mesh filter to fit in the frame and then pressed it back on and put the 4-bolts back in, It had a great look with the chrome grill and fully protected the fins on the cooler with no air restriction, the price of the range filters? 6.00 for the really nice ones at home depot.

KY Geezeer
04-12-2008, 05:37 PM
SZ Rider: You could always duct tape it! :-)

Marc B
04-12-2008, 08:19 PM
SZ Rider: You could always duct tape it! :-)

You might be a Redneck if...

Sheep
04-22-2008, 09:51 PM
The Cox install instructions are confusing because of poor punctuation, sentence fragmentation and missing words. (I'm a retired teacher.) My guard for the Bandit arrived today. Looking at it closely then putting it up against radiator before actual install, the directions began to make sense (with grammar fixes). So I've rewritten the Cox instructions in same order below, but underlined the keys to proper placement of foam pads. Pic at bottom to help. This was right before I peeled backing and attached black foam pads. You don't see pads at back of lower brackets because they aren't visible. I cut pads so they wouldn't be so wide that you could see them through front of guard. But there is nothing which says you can't add as many pads as you wish... up to you.

Suzuki Bandit 1250/s/abs
Install the foam pads on the back of the guard, [attaching] 4 at the top on the screen behind the frame. On the bottom brackets on the back of the guard, [attach] 2 on the screen behind the frame, and 2 on the inside back of the bracket [so it's the] same both sides. The idea is to have the foam center the bottom of the radiator in the brackets of the guard. No zip ties required.

http://i177.photobucket.com/albums/w225/sheepstb/CoxGuard.jpg

And here it is installed. Took about 25min to get guard set up around radiator and foam pads correctly "unjammed" with long thin-bladed knife, and pushing bolts in to tighten whole thing. Wish I had extra hands to hold the flashlight. My rad side pieces are powdercoated semi-gloss black; fender's off for adding Fenda Extenda and paint-matching. Lots of dust, fingerprints on camera lens...ugh!
http://i177.photobucket.com/albums/w225/sheepstb/CoxGuardinstld.jpg

GregH
04-22-2008, 10:49 PM
Nicely cleaned up. It took me a while to figure it out, myself. :zen: