PDA

View Full Version : Dualsport????

Greasemonkey
11-19-2007, 07:47 AM
While I ride just about everywhere some of these d/s rides aren't really
set up for the larger bikes.Didn't see many "d/s" trails at red river or
barnwell mnt to say the least.Hate to see people travel and not enjoy
their time.Maybe next year we can try to have a few more that will
fit the bill.Maybe a ride and camp series of rides.Don't seem to get much response for that and seems to me it would be a great prerequisite for mex or??? Anyhow,maybe I just had to much coffeeee this morning???

hardybaker
11-19-2007, 08:58 AM
I like the way you think Scott. Sounds like fun. Hardy

jsb223
11-19-2007, 09:30 AM
:huh:

In my book there are 5 levels of trails...

Easy, if you can ride a bike you can ride this trail on just about type of bike.

Moderate, probably doable with a street bike if it's not wet...

Challenging, you need light bike with some ground clearance and minimal skills.

Difficult, you need right bike and major skills.

Impossible, you need a trials bike and years of experience.

There is no wrong trail only the wrong bike or skill level.

I've got the easy/moderate trails down on my DRZ. I'm still working on the challenging.

Tourmeister
11-19-2007, 12:43 PM
:tab Scott, that Centerville 300 ride I did with you a while back was good. If I had still had my R1150GS, it would not have been a problem on that route, even with the sand (assuming the TKC 80's were mounted). It is a bit more work on a big bike compared to the smaller 650's though.

Greasemonkey
11-19-2007, 01:08 PM
Having been thru my kids and understanding different bikes and skill levels.
This should be fun for the folks showing up,a good time.I'll be the first to admit I like the more dirt but everyone is different.Just trying to say lets list the severity,and riders ask ???'s.This is some of your responsability too.I just like to ride:rider:

gotdurt
11-19-2007, 02:35 PM
I've never ridden at Red River and have only Jeeped at Barnwell (seemed reasonable for any dirt-oriented DS bike), but IMO the SHNF is plenty suitable for any 650 or smaller DS bike (I wouldn't mind trying it on a larger bike myself), with lots of good forest roads as well...

greengoose
11-19-2007, 08:51 PM
Clayton OK is a great place for a dual sport ride with mixed skill levels theres hundreds of miles of trails and something for everyone form mild to wild, plus the state park there is a great place to camp.

thumper
11-19-2007, 10:19 PM
Having been thru my kids and understanding different bikes and skill levels.
This should be fun for the folks showing up,a good time.I'll be the first to admit I like the more dirt but everyone is different.Just trying to say lets list the severity,and riders ask ???'s.This is some of your responsability too.I just like to ride:rider:

That's one of the reasons I always try to compare a ride to a KLR. It's a great bike for long distance dirt roads and most trails, but more importantly most have rode one or are at least fimiliar with it's abilities.;-)

Greasemonkey
11-20-2007, 08:09 AM
I've never ridden at Red River and have only Jeeped at Barnwell (seemed reasonable for any dirt-oriented DS bike), but IMO the SHNF is plenty suitable for any 650 or smaller DS bike (I wouldn't mind trying it on a larger bike myself), with lots of good forest roads as well...

Do you think a new rider on a klr or bmw would enjoy riding at barnwell???
"Not",thats what I'm getting at.

gotdurt
11-20-2007, 08:45 AM
Maybe not a new rider on a KLR at Barnwell, but I was once a new rider on a KLR (my first dirt oriented bike) in the SHNF and didn't have any problems, in fact, my first ride on the trails out there was on a Kawasaki KZ400 street bike. I had a blast on both. This is why I suggest SHNF, plus it's *kind of* central to Austin, DFW and Houston (although much closer to Houston). Barnwell is a long haul from Austin and Houston, too long IMO. Also, if folks aren't comfortable riding the trails at SHNF, there are countless miles of forest roads to be blazed...

Goat Trail Green
11-20-2007, 10:06 AM

Actually on the 2 diamond trails I think it would be perfect ! I will show you Friday

Now the single track loop as of right now,I suggest a dirt bike and a beginner with a bunch of experience or intermediate rider on a coverted dual sport

Mike Green

dbdolan
11-21-2007, 04:46 PM
One day I will have a smaller dirt bike so I can come play on the extreme single track. I like the KLR but it is too much of a work out on the tight stuff, it is fine on the jeep trails and fire roads.

soloklr
11-23-2007, 10:54 AM
I did Red River last weekend with my son. He had fun learning the sand and we we're able to 2up through a lot of the trails on the KLR. We maybe slow but we have a good time getting there.

Steve

Greasemonkey
11-25-2007, 04:57 PM
Well having fun is what it's all about.You guys on klr's impress me,thats
alot of bike to put in the boonies.

Good to meet you Steve.

soloklr
11-26-2007, 08:22 AM
It was good to meet all of you. Looking forward to the next ride.

steve