• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

Installing XM on a motorcycle

iDood said:
I'll tell ya... the MyFi is the way to go. A tad pricey, but it is as simple to listen to as an MP3 player.
Mine (errr... the wife's) should be here next Thursday according to UPS. If she doesn't like it, it might have to become a second unit for me. :lol:

Re: MYFI

Texian said:
So what's the verdict on the XM MyFi ?
Wifey decided she didn't want it, so it's sitting next to my PC playing Dorothy Moore - Misty Blue at the moment (70's on 7).

Step 1. Buy a motorcycle
Step 2. Install MyFi on motorcycle
Step 3. Go riding

Her loss, my gain.

Hmmm... Starland Vocal Band - Afternoon Delight just started playing. :lol:

You can record up to 5 hrs of programming on the unit in case you will be someplace where you can't receive the signal (like on an airplane) but what I didn't know is that you can program it in advance to record up to two different programs.

For those who don't have the service, XM does more than just play music and rebroadcast the news; they have specific programming at specific times such as in-depth interviews, or special music programming (8 hrs of Beatles, etc). You can set up the MyFi to record these programs if you're at work or sleeping or otherwise unable to listen to it live.

There are two other manufacturers coming out with MyFi variations this Spring. If you want to see what XM is up to, visit their website xmradio.com and review their press releases for the past week. They signed up 50,000 new subscribers on Xmas day alone.

Thanks
I dont think I can wait for the Pioneer or Tao models. For some reason I believe they'll probably have the same internals anyway.
Thanks for the info
......lets see, when does BestBuy open today?

I've got a Roady2 from Circuit City for $99 and I LOVE it! It's small and it was easy to install:

DSC03152.JPG

DSC03151.JPG

All I had to do was install a cig lighter and put the antenna in the tail. Give it a try - it's small and has a head phone jack and internal volume control.

It ROCKS.

Sirius is coming out with a similar type of unit also. I haven't tried to install it on the bike yet, the Sirius unit that I have is an older one so it is pretty large. They have come out with some more units similar in size to the XM Roady. I may get a newer smaller unit for the bike and my truck and install the current one in my wifes car.....yeah...that might work.

Satellite radio has really spoiled me, I can't stand to listen to regular radio anymore. My wife also listens to the Sirius online feed at work and she wants one for her car now. I also have 2 of the the home docks, I used to have one at the office and at home. Now since my home is the office I have one dock hooked to the stereo in the living room and one in the computer room.

Both systems are great, there are some minor differences in programming. If you are tired of over-the-air radio (with all of its commercials) you really can't go wrong with either network.

Back