• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

DL650 Hand Guards on a 600 Bandit

Reaction score
First Name
Ken
Last Name
Phenix
Thanks Brass for posting your hand guard pics. Here's my experience installing them on my 2000 GSF600S.

I ordered the kit from:
http://www.prosourceoutlet.com/page...775/15669/1/0/0/0/0/0/0/0/hand-guard-set.aspx

I started on the throttle side which was a snap. The only change I had to make was to flip over the brake lever adjuster pivot bolt because the nut on the bottom rubbed the guard. I did not have to modify the right guard at all.

Attachments

• Rt Hand guard 1.jpg
    Rt Hand guard 1.jpg
    42 KB · Views: 338
On the left side, I started by removing the clutch lever (don't forget to pull the clutch safety switch first). I lined up the guard and marked the spot for a 3/8" hole for the clutch cable to go through. I did not want to remove any more material from the guard than was necessary. One 3/8" hole is the only modification I had to make to the guard itself.

The safety switch (or its plug) was in the way so I added a couple of washers on the bottom mount. I had to cut off the safety switch plug and solder the wires directly to the terminals on the switch and only then had just barely enough clearance.

The rest of the pics are still in the camera at the office. I'll finish this tomorrow.

Attachments

• clutch safety switch 1.jpg
    clutch safety switch 1.jpg
    39.5 KB · Views: 293
  • left hand guard.jpg
    left hand guard.jpg
    32.5 KB · Views: 303
I had to trim about 1/3 off the terminals. Then I soldered the wires on and covered the terminals with a piece of shrink tube filled with silicone gasket sealer. So the left side was a bit of a pain but not too bad.:rider:

There are no real clearance problems. The right side barely touches the mirror and the left one touches the top corner of the windshield. I can move the bars back a little or I could use this as an excuse to justify a new windshield.:trust:

Attachments

• HG 9R.jpg
    HG 9R.jpg
    52.4 KB · Views: 281
  • HG 9L.jpg
    HG 9L.jpg
    41.8 KB · Views: 306
  • HG 9.jpg
    HG 9.jpg
    45.6 KB · Views: 315
  • clutch safety switch 2.jpg
    clutch safety switch 2.jpg
    40.5 KB · Views: 290
Nice post, Ken. Thanks for the pics and the details.

That's why I love all the information sharing that goes on in these forums. This is something I have been wanting to do for a while but was afraid to risk the 50 bucks until I saw the report posted by Brass.

With your cable clutch the install looks like it was pretty easy.

If you rotate your bars back a little in their clamps, the guards should clear windshield but then you wouldn't have a reason to change the shield. Just be careful you don't rotate them so far back that they touch the tank when fully turned.

Make sure you post what you think of them once you've been out for a few rides.

I discovered a side benefit to the hand guards today. I got caught in the rain and
. . . . . waterproof touring jacket - check
. . . . . . . . . . old rainsuit pants - check
. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . waterproof gloves - nope.
I ducked into the the first drive-thru bank canopy and closed my jacket vents and put on the rainpants. After my 13 mile ride home I discovered my hands were still dry. Cool! The hand / rain guards deflected enough of the wind and rain to keep my gloves from getting soaked.:rider:

Just disable the clutch switch. Most bikes don't even have one. Cut the plug off and solder or crimp the ends together. I did that to my Bandit and never had any issues. A grommet where the clutch cable goes through would look good too.

Just disable the clutch switch. Most bikes don't even have one. Cut the plug off and solder or crimp the ends together. I did that to my Bandit and never had any issues. A grommet where the clutch cable goes through would look good too.

Thanks, I had the bypass loop complete with spade terminals all ready to go and decided to try to keep the switch at the last minute. I like the grommet idea too. I'm also thinking about hiding a PTT button inside the left guard.

Just put a set on my 07 Bandit 1250. Worked great only had to trim the right guard a little for the throttle cable. The left side didn't need any attention because I have the hydraulic clutch. The kit is great and easy to follow. Took me about 30 minutes to do. I'm going for a ride this afternoon the high temp should reach 34f, we'll see how they work!!

Ray

2007 Bandit 1250
2005 GSXR 1000
2005 Harley Electra Glide
2003 Kawasaki Kx 250

Well..............as it turns out, there is a box from Ron Ayers under the Christmas tree (wrapped of course) that has the DL1000 Hand Guard kit with all the mounting stuff in it ready for me to open and act surpised about on Christmas morning. Amazing what you can find out by checking the bank activity online!!!:eek2:

I will have these installed by the end of the day on Christmas on the 1250 with full pictures as you can imagine.

I know, I know - I'm a sloth for cheating and looking and knowing my gifts ahead of time. But at least I don't have to go buy them for myself now!!:trust:

See ya in 11 days.......with warmer hands!!!

Phil

But where are the pics? :confused:

Here's the picture with the handguards, GPS, Powerbronz windscreen.

Guards worked well until the sun went down and temps dropped into the 20's. I was wearing medium weight gloves with liners. Heavy weight glove probably would have kept my fingers warm, we'll see. The windscreen definitley was an improvement. Wind was just catching the top of my helmet at 70mph along with my shoulders.

You do loose some turning ability due to the handguards hitting the fairing, its more pronounced for right turns.

Attachments

• IMG_0422.jpg
    IMG_0422.jpg
    94.6 KB · Views: 313
  • IMG_0420.jpg
    IMG_0420.jpg
    85 KB · Views: 288
  • IMG_0419.jpg
    IMG_0419.jpg
    91.7 KB · Views: 275
  • IMG_0424.jpg
    IMG_0424.jpg
    53.3 KB · Views: 278
Yep, nice pics Ray.

The MRA TouringScreen arrived the other day. I've had no time to play with it though, the Christmas rush is upon us at the bakery. At a glance the new screen will not help my hand guard clearance issue either. It's not serious anyway, just barely touches the right mirror and puts a little pressure on the upper left corner of the stock windscreen. I believe I can pull the bars back enough for everything to clear. Stay tuned, pics to follow.

.........You do loose some turning ability due to the handguards hitting the fairing, its more pronounced for right turns.

Eek Gads! :eek2:

I put the BikeMaster Daytona bars on mine and the pull back is a bit less - so in theory, the handguards will hit the fairing/windshield even sooner. Although, when riding the bars are never really turned that much - it's only when maneurvering at parking speeds that may be a problem.

We'll see on the 25th when I get them officially.

Phil

Thanks Ray for the shots. Nice bike.

Here's the picture with the handguards, GPS, Powerbronz windscreen.

Guards worked well until the sun went down and temps dropped into the 20's. I was wearing medium weight gloves with liners. Heavy weight glove probably would have kept my fingers warm, we'll see. The windscreen definitley was an improvement. Wind was just catching the top of my helmet at 70mph along with my shoulders.

You do loose some turning ability due to the handguards hitting the fairing, its more pronounced for right turns.

rrrr - Can you post up more pictures of your GPS mount? I've got a 2610 too, and Santa is bringing me a RAM mount and wiring kit. Is yours a RAM? Short arm or regular length?

trey

rrrr - Can you post up more pictures of your GPS mount? I've got a 2610 too, and Santa is bringing me a RAM mount and wiring kit. Is yours a RAM? Short arm or regular length?

trey

Here's the info on the mount.
RAM Handlebar Mount for Garmin StreetPilot 2610, 2620, 2720, 2730, 2820 Part Number: GR26H
Price: $39.00 Quantity: 1 Total: $39.00

Motorcycle 12v Hardwire Cable Kit for Garmin StreetPilot 2610, 2620, 2720, 2730, 2820 Part Number: GC12V26
Price: $29.00 Quantity: 1 Total: $29.00

Sub Total: $68.00
Shipping: $7.69
Tax (MO): $0.00
Total: $75.69

Here's the link:

http://www.cycoactive.com/gps/gps2610.htm

I have the same setup on my harley and just swap out the GPS!

The arm is 3.5inches from ball center to center

Attachments

• IMG_0428a.jpg
    IMG_0428a.jpg
    125.3 KB · Views: 271
  • IMG_0429a.jpg
    IMG_0429a.jpg
    117.5 KB · Views: 271
Here's the info on the mount.
RAM Handlebar Mount for Garmin StreetPilot 2610, 2620, 2720, 2730, 2820 Part Number: GR26H
Price: $39.00 Quantity: 1 Total: $39.00

Motorcycle 12v Hardwire Cable Kit for Garmin StreetPilot 2610, 2620, 2720, 2730, 2820 Part Number: GC12V26
Price: $29.00 Quantity: 1 Total: $29.00

Sub Total: $68.00
Shipping: $7.69
Tax (MO): $0.00
Total: $75.69

Here's the link:

http://www.cycoactive.com/gps/gps2610.htm

I have the same setup on my harley and just swap out the GPS!

The arm is 3.5inches from ball center to center

Thanks. That's the exact same kit I'm getting from Cycoactive too, so I guess it'll work just fine.

trey

I just placed an order for a set. Since I have a DL 650, they should fit just right.

:eek2: Buying DL650 hand guards for a DL650? :eek2:

What will they think of next? :doh:

-------

I am a firm believer that the guards work - get used to them in the cold and then take them off and try it - you will be a believer, too!

If you trim the clutch side guard down to clear the master cylinder and reposition the mounting hole you should be able to clear the fairing. I had no problems at all on the throttle side. The set I installed clears by about 1/4 inch at full lock in both directions.

Guys - this huge fat dude with a white beard and a goofy red suit invaded my house last night and left me a pair of Suzuki DL1000 Handguards from Ron Ayers - what a nice guy. He was actually acting on behalf of my wonderful wife.

Here's the deal -

Here's what you get for $50.
Parts.jpg

Here's the bike with no guards:
WithoutGuards.jpg

Here's the right guard - went on in 5 minutes completely stock:
StockRightGuard.jpg

Here's the left guard mounted per instructions and left stock - clearly not good and not meant for the 1250 Bandit.
StockLeftGuard.jpg

Here's the left guard after I modified it to mount much closer - stock version is for the DL series cable clutch not the GSF1250 hyrdraulic clutch. This took about an hour to get it modified via the Dremel tool and such. You need to watch tightening the hardware on the clutch side as is compresses the clutch lever and makes it stick and sluggish.
ModifiedLeftGuard.jpg

Here she is all guarded up. Test ride in 29 degree wind at mild speeds proved well worth the effort. These will be very nice in the rain as well if that ever happens.
WithGuards.jpg

From the driver seat - hands with or without gloves fit perfect. It does hit the fairing on full lock to lock - BUT - you can lock the handlebars and still have 1/2" to spare - so all is good.
WithGuardsfromRear.jpg

Ok Phil, don't keep us guessing here. What did you Dremel and and such off to make the left guard fit?:giveup:
I'm also confused with the Hand Guards you purchased. The DL1000 has a hydraulic clutch actuation and the DL650 has a cable actuated clutch. So are you sure you didn't purchase the DL650 guards instead of the DL1000 guards? Also the hand guards are looking real good, great job well done.:clap:

:rider:

The guys at Ron Ayers said this was the only kit available. I chopped the left guard where marked on the photo. All in all and after the 20 miles test tide - I am totally happy. DL1000 kit was 57300-27820-291 which changed to the DL650 kit 57300-27821-291 which ended up being 57300-27822-291 which is what they had and sent. Here's how I modified the guard:

StockLeftGuardNotes.jpg

Back