• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

Education of a Sherpa

Reaction score
Mountain Climbing Guide for Sherpa Dummies..... Oh, wait... wrong book.

Sherpa Mods: The Beginning

P1010128.jpg

Sherpie had a few modifications over the past two months:

Pro-Bend handguards: These replaced the wimpy stock guards. These same guards are on the Whee and have proven time and time again to be strong and protective. I chose the low profile enduro shields for the Sherpa, however. The larger shields are on the Whee.

The reason I prefer these over other brands is the bend in the aluminum alloy bar (often called 'bark busters'). The outer curve allows the hand to escape in case of a fall, reducing the chance of a hand being caught or crushed in between the lever, grip and anything else. I've tested this out (unintentionally); it is a hand saver.

Pro-Taper handlebar
(CR mid bend). The stock bar is too weak and it's chrome. No chrome on a dirt bike. That's just blasphemous. Again, the same bar replaced the stock bar on the Whee. They are strong as an ox. They also have a cross-bar for added strength and to reduce vibration.

Bar grips
. Stock grips were replaced with larger diameter grips. Arthritis in my wrists and hands are irritated by small diameter grips. These work well and they are tacky for a good feel and grip.

Acerbis front fender.
The Yellow Beak was replaced with a silver Supermotard front fender. Very aerodynamic with vents to increase air circulation to the engine.

Carburetor adjustments
. Sherpas are notorious for being cold-blooded: they don't like to start and take forever to warm up. They run lean out of the manufacturing plant. To make it run 'richer' (more fuel:oxygen ratio), Cliff at Piper Performance increased the pilot jet from 17.5 to 20 and adjusted the fuel screw from 3.25 to 3.75. It has more power (significantly!) and warms faster, but the compromise is less fuel efficiency (lower mpg). I can live with that.

Wolfman Tailbag. In Tellico Plains, TN, I picked up a tailbag made by Wolfman. This model has been discontinued to be replaced by the Wolf Tail. I'm glad I found the discontinued one; I don't care for the black and silver colored version. Otherwise, they are almost exactly the same, although the bungee system is improved on the new version. Wiley rides on top of this bag, secured by the built-in webbing on the top flap.

The Wolfman Explorer Lite tank bag resides on Whee's gas tank and I like it enough that I will probably opt for the Wolfman Enduro tank bag for Sherpie. A smaller version of the Explorer series, the Enduro is an excellent size for smaller dual sport bikes.

The next major modifications are a windshield, increasing fuel capacity and upgrading the rear shock and spring. After bottoming out several times on the two-day ride last weekend, the latter is a priority. Windshield is next. The fuel capacity issue can wait until before April next year when I ride the 2008 Texas Adventure Ride in southern Texas.

IMG_6029b.jpg

Sherpie is sure looking nice!
On the handguards, do they come with a stronger than stock bolt to hold the bar-end weight? I have the Suzuki handguards on the strom, and I found out that the weak link is not the plastic handguard, but the bar-end bolt, especially since the handguards require a longer bolt to accomodate the mounting hardware of the guards. In the event of a spill or a simple drop, the bolt bends backwards, pulling the handguard with it and breaking the levers.

Spent a nice sunny warm Saturday working on Sherpie with Ed after her return from the desert. She is now a desert ratmobile ;)

1. Re-installed the rear links. Previous owner put lowering links on it for his wife, who never rode it. The rear bottomed out many times, once badly. We suspect that may have been a contribution to why we (bike and I) went down 3/4 the way up rocky hill climbs. (well, that and it loses 'grunt' and my line picking is still evolving).

The change was drastic. Amazing what difference in using links only 3/4 shorter. Gained over 2" in height, stiffer and handles better. But.... too tall for me. I was on tippy-toes. So we reduced the preload a bit. Now only 1 5/8" taller and balls of my feet are on the ground. I am considering shaving the seat down about an inch and topping it with 1/4 medical foam.

2. Changed oil and filter. The oil was gross. I mean really gross. Gerry emailed me that he changed the oil, but I'm not too sure he really did.

3. Cleaned air filter and air box. Again, gross!! Was packed with dirt, grease and sand. Not Big Bend/Texas sand. More like New Jersey sand.

4. Bled and changed brake fluid, front and rear. Unbelievably gross!!! I wonder if it was stock fluid. We had to soak the master cylinder rubber and cover in brake fluid to clean out the crud.

The difference in suspension AND running is amazing. Runs nice and smooth, has more torque and power, growls like a little bobcat. Handles twists and turns like a blast. I'll have to get used to the stiffness but that is the trade off for more travel and better suspension for off-road.

She's almost ready for another ride down in Big Bend desert next month.

Next: re-gearing with front sprocket.

Mountain Climbing Guide for Sherpa Dummies..... Oh, wait... wrong book.

Sherpa Mods: The Beginning

P1010128.jpg

Sherpie had a few modifications over the past two months:

Pro-Bend handguards: These replaced the wimpy stock guards. These same guards are on the Whee and have proven time and time again to be strong and protective. I chose the low profile enduro shields for the Sherpa, however. The larger shields are on the Whee.

The reason I prefer these over other brands is the bend in the aluminum alloy bar (often called 'bark busters'). The outer curve allows the hand to escape in case of a fall, reducing the chance of a hand being caught or crushed in between the lever, grip and anything else. I've tested this out (unintentionally); it is a hand saver.

Pro-Taper handlebar
(CR mid bend). The stock bar is too weak and it's chrome. No chrome on a dirt bike. That's just blasphemous. Again, the same bar replaced the stock bar on the Whee. They are strong as an ox. They also have a cross-bar for added strength and to reduce vibration.

Bar grips
. Stock grips were replaced with larger diameter grips. Arthritis in my wrists and hands are irritated by small diameter grips. These work well and they are tacky for a good feel and grip.

Acerbis front fender.
The Yellow Beak was replaced with a silver Supermotard front fender. Very aerodynamic with vents to increase air circulation to the engine.

Carburetor adjustments
. Sherpas are notorious for being cold-blooded: they don't like to start and take forever to warm up. They run lean out of the manufacturing plant. To make it run 'richer' (more fuel:oxygen ratio), Cliff at Piper Performance increased the pilot jet from 17.5 to 20 and adjusted the fuel screw from 3.25 to 3.75. It has more power (significantly!) and warms faster, but the compromise is less fuel efficiency (lower mpg). I can live with that.

Wolfman Tailbag. In Tellico Plains, TN, I picked up a tailbag made by Wolfman. This model has been discontinued to be replaced by the Wolf Tail. I'm glad I found the discontinued one; I don't care for the black and silver colored version. Otherwise, they are almost exactly the same, although the bungee system is improved on the new version. Wiley rides on top of this bag, secured by the built-in webbing on the top flap.

The Wolfman Explorer Lite tank bag resides on Whee's gas tank and I like it enough that I will probably opt for the Wolfman Enduro tank bag for Sherpie. A smaller version of the Explorer series, the Enduro is an excellent size for smaller dual sport bikes.

The next major modifications are a windshield, increasing fuel capacity and upgrading the rear shock and spring. After bottoming out several times on the two-day ride last weekend, the latter is a priority. Windshield is next. The fuel capacity issue can wait until before April next year when I ride the 2008 Texas Adventure Ride in southern Texas.

Excellent choice of mods..

What are you planning for a windshield?

Some of the lighter DS bikes don't tolerate big windshields well at speed, can cause some front end shimmy or worse.

I have put a 6" tall one on one of my KTM's though, made it a bit nicer riding long highway rides getting just a bit of the wind pressure off my chest.

I made mine for about $5 with a sheet of plexi from the hardware store and a heat gun, 2 captive nuts and pair of wingnuts from the hardware store.

KIF_0862.JPG

What are you planning for a windshield?

Some of the lighter DS bikes don't tolerate big windshields well at speed, can cause some front end shimmy or worse.
All I need is a short-ish shield that deflects the air over my head rather than right at my head. A lip on the top would be keeno.

Elzi, This bike is just too clean. Folks will start thinking you never ride it.:) It is a nice looking little critter. You got it fixed up real nice.

P1010128.jpg

Elzi, This bike is just too clean. Folks will start thinking you never ride it.:) It is a nice looking little critter. You got it fixed up real nice.
You haven't seen it after Rocky Ridge and Big Bend!!! She's a dirty girl now, christened with Big Bend dirt. And she wants more!

Suspension update: the return to stock links rooooolz!!
Went to Red River yesterday to test it out and had no bottoming out, even catching air over some awesome 'whoops'. Those would have caused the rear to bottom out before with the lowering links.

Yesterday's testing also confirmed I need to change gearing; one tooth down on front sprocket. Gear spacing too wide for techincal off road stuff. Need rear tire that can tackle sand better. And I need to go to Sand School. :doh:

ABSOLUTELY LOVE riding in the river bed on the sand bars and in the water! I felt like a Labrador going after a prize duck, ripping across the sand bars, plowing into the water, up the sandy banks, repeat again please!!!!! Whoooooohooooooooo!!!!!!!!!!!!
Now if I can take that to the deeeeeep sand trails...... :eek2:

It was a fun day indeed. The sand was quite dry and powdery due to all the low humidity and no rain. That made it really fun in more than a few sections. I'm sure the new rear tire that is a little more dirt oriented will help out a lot, but then you'll find yourself needing a new front tire to go along with it.

I'm sure the new rear tire that is a little more dirt oriented will help out a lot, but then you'll find yourself needing a new front tire to go along with it.
One tire at a time. I will need tires for the Whee reeeeal soon.

Let me know what you think about that tire Ed told you about!

You've made some nice mods.... I am in the process of doing some myself on my Sherpa. I think I'll be ordering a front fender like the one you've got.

About those handguards, what kind of clamps did you order? I see on that website that there are many clamp options. Did you buy one of the "packages", or order everything separately?

Also, about the handlebars, do all the cables have plenty of play? When I got my sherpa, the bars that were on it were quite wide, which caused the clutch cable to bind and activate the clutch when the bars were turned fully to the left. I put a set of streetbike bars on, but I like the look of the Pro-Tapers.

About those handguards, what kind of clamps did you order? I see on that website that there are many clamp options. Did you buy one of the "packages", or order everything separately?
I ordered the universal mounts. However, I ordered a pair of the low profile shields to replace the larger shields (which I have on the Whee). I like the smaller ones on the Sherpa; they work better for off-road.

Also, about the handlebars, do all the cables have plenty of play? When I got my sherpa, the bars that were on it were quite wide, which caused the clutch cable to bind and activate the clutch when the bars were turned fully to the left. I put a set of streetbike bars on, but I like the look of the Pro-Tapers.
All the cables are fine; no binding. It required some moving around to place them better on the new bar, but they all fit fine.

My next modification/addition to the Sherpa is to extend fuel range. After an inquiry on the KLR forum, someone posted this neat fuel container and I plan on using that.

However, I still have to decide on a rack and luggage system. I like the Denali rack on Turbocity.com but I don't want the Tourtech bags. I'd prefer a pair of Wolfman Expedition sidebags or Ortlieb panniers. I want true waterproof quality. I'm also a bit apprehensive about the weight of the rack system. 35 lbs is a bit much. The last thing I want to do is add a lot more weight to the bike.

I want true waterproof quality.

Just an FYI, I've never seen a hard bag that kept it's waterproofness after having suffered a couple of falls. And for an offroad bike, that's going to be about two rides.

I will say this, so far it seems like the Pelican cases take the most abuse of any type of hard case/bag. And you can get them in any size you need.

Just an FYI, I've never seen a hard bag that kept it's waterproofness after having suffered a couple of falls. And for an offroad bike, that's going to be about two rides.

I will say this, so far it seems like the Pelican cases take the most abuse of any type of hard case/bag. And you can get them in any size you need.
A Sherpa rider on ADV has a pair of the Ortlieb bags for a couple years and he's ridden down to S America with them; numerous falls, including submerged in a creek, and he claims they are still completely waterproof. That's impressive.

A Sherpa rider on ADV has a pair of the Ortlieb bags for a couple years and he's ridden down to S America with them; numerous falls, including submerged in a creek, and he claims they are still completely waterproof. That's impressive.

You two are talking apples and oranges. Bill says hard bags don't stay waterproof - the Ortleib bags (IIRC) are soft bags. I agree with you both. ;-)

You've made some nice mods.... I am in the process of doing some myself on my Sherpa. I think I'll be ordering a front fender like the one you've got.

So which bike are you bringing to the TAR this year?

I ordered the universal mounts. However, I ordered a pair of the low profile shields to replace the larger shields (which I have on the Whee). I like the smaller ones on the Sherpa; they work better for off-road.

All the cables are fine; no binding. It required some moving around to place them better on the new bar, but they all fit fine.

By universal mounts, do you mean what they are calling "U" clamps?

Hopefully I'll get those bars someday, right now I just have a problem with paying $65 for a set of handlebars.

So which bike are you bringing to the TAR this year?

Not sure yet... The Sherpa is not street legal at the moment, a PO had done some mods to make it not street legal. Hopefully it'll be inspected, titled, and tagged by then though. I think I'd lean towards taking the Sherpa to do some of those roads that I was hesitant to do on the Wee last year. :rider:

And about those Ortlieb bags, I had a pair and can vouch for their waterproofness. I used them on one particular long trip, riding through hours of torrential rainstorms. No leaks at all, everything inside was absolutely dry. Amazing. They're somewhat of a pain to deal with, what with rolling and unrolling the tops, but they're functional. They survived a low speed dump in gravel also, did not sustain any damage other than some little scrape marks.

By universal mounts, do you mean what they are calling "U" clamps?
Yes, that's correct.
Hopefully I'll get those bars someday, right now I just have a problem with paying $65 for a set of handlebars.
For me it was well worth the cash. I have ProTapers on both bikes and they make a world of difference: less vibration, stronger, and better angle.
And about those Ortlieb bags, I had a pair and can vouch for their waterproofness. I used them on one particular long trip, riding through hours of torrential rainstorms. No leaks at all, everything inside was absolutely dry. Amazing. They're somewhat of a pain to deal with, what with rolling and unrolling the tops, but they're functional. They survived a low speed dump in gravel also, did not sustain any damage other than some little scrape marks.
Good to know! Thanks.

Yes, that's correct.
For me it was well worth the cash. I have ProTapers on both bikes and they make a world of difference: less vibration, stronger, and better angle.

Thanks for the tips, the handguards will be first on the priority list, then the bars. :thumb:

Thanks for the tips, the handguards will be first on the priority list, then the bars. :thumb:

Are you thinking of the Protaper SE bars (7/8") or the fat bars? I have the SE's and have used them on a couple of bikes. I like them a lot and as much as I tried I couldn't bend them. They do have a cross bar though and the fat bars don't. The reason I bring it up is that the mounts for the handguards are different for fat bars or constant diameter 7/8" standard size bars. So if you are thinking of the fat bars you may want to get both at the same time so you don't have to get new mounts later.

The SE bars made a difference in vibrations on both the bikes I put them on, btw.

Back