PDA

View Full Version : Windscreen Install - Holeshot/SkidMarx Double Bubble

GregH
12-06-2007, 10:47 PM
I installed the Holeshot/SkidMarx Double Bubble on the Bandit 1250S. The screen was $114 delivered and the installation went relatively smoothly.
Following are pics and descriptions of the procedure:

Comparing the stock windscreen with the Double Bubble. The depth of the "bubble" on the stock screen is 1 5/8" and the Double Bubble is 3 5/8".
http://pic18.picturetrail.com/VOL865/4143694/16192738/291899497.jpg

GregH
12-06-2007, 10:50 PM
Using a 4mm hex remove the bolts securing the inner fairing. Note that the bolts which secure the gauge package and the windscreen are 11/16" and the bolts securing the inner fairing to the outer fairing are 1/2".
http://pic18.picturetrail.com/VOL865/4143694/16192738/291899510.jpg

GregH
12-06-2007, 10:51 PM
Next, remove the gauges by pulling the package out and unplugging the wiring harness from the back.
http://pic18.picturetrail.com/VOL865/4143694/16192738/291899501.jpg

GregH
12-06-2007, 10:55 PM
Here is a pic with the fairing out and the stock windscreen removed. The red arrow points to one of the 4 rubber grommets which secure the windscreen. They're slippery little devils so keep an eye on them. Also, when putting the new screen on I had to put a finger behind the grommet to keep it from slipping out. Be sure to slowly screw the bolts in or else the grommet will try to go out the back. Oh, they'll bounce when they hit the garage floor!
http://pic18.picturetrail.com/VOL865/4143694/16192738/291899514.jpg

GregH
12-06-2007, 10:57 PM
The Double Bubble bolt holes lined up quite well. Here is the new screen installed with the inner fairing bolted back into place.
http://pic18.picturetrail.com/VOL865/4143694/16192738/291899689.jpg

GregH
12-06-2007, 10:58 PM
All finished and looking beautiful!
http://pic18.picturetrail.com/VOL865/4143694/16192738/291899697.jpg

GregH
12-06-2007, 11:09 PM
The Holeshot/SkidMarx Double Bubble performed great!
I'm 5'10" and the wind at 70 mph is directed right to the bridge of my nose. I'm wearing a full face helmet and the aerodynamics of the helmet handle the wind easily. No buffeting and no wind hitting my chest then redirecting up to try to take my helmet off. The wind noise doesn't seem any louder than with the stock screen.
I was out on a very windy day with gusts to 47 mph and running at highway speed would have been miserable with the stock screen. The Double Bubble deflected the wind making my ride much more comfortable.

Verdict: The Holeshot/SkidMarx Double Bubble windscreen is a great screen and installs easily. Highly recommended.

A1A
12-08-2007, 07:38 PM
GregH,
Very nice looking screen my friend and thanks for the great photos and install write up as well.:thumb:
I think the screen really goes well with the Bandit's design and smooth flow of the bike.:chug:
Your a lucky man to be 5' 10" tall and be able to use that double-bubble style screen.:zen:
Did you have to remove the mirrors to remove and install the windscreem?

:rider:

GregH
12-09-2007, 12:43 PM
Negative. You only need to remove the inner fairing. The outer fairing and mirrors stay put. Whew! :cool2:

Ken Phenix
12-09-2007, 01:39 PM
Hey Greg,
I just Googled "Holeshot/SkidMarx Double Bubble" and the top pick is your post right here on TWT! You're gonna be a big star! :clap: :clap: :clap:
I wanted to see if they offer that shield for my 600 - they do not. I'm about ready to take a chance and order the MRA TouringScreen from Twisted Throttle and pray it doesn't interfere with my hand guards. :pray:

Great screen install pix. Thanks.

A1A
12-09-2007, 05:38 PM
Hey Greg,
I just Googled "Holeshot/SkidMarx Double Bubble" and the top pick is your post right here on TWT! You're gonna be a big star! :clap: :clap: :clap:
I wanted to see if they offer that shield for my 600 - they do not. I'm about ready to take a chance and order the MRA TouringScreen from Twisted Throttle and pray it doesn't interfere with my hand guards. :pray:

Great screen install pix. Thanks.

Shoot I thought Greg was already a star!:jammin: :drums:

After all look what he has started since his original Bandit 1250S posting back on April 22,2007.:clap: :sun: :rider: :mrgreen: :thumb: :-) :-D :pirate: 8-) :patriot: :) :hail: :bow: :chug: :bigokay: :flip: :wave:

GregH
12-09-2007, 06:06 PM
Hey Greg,
I just Googled "Holeshot/SkidMarx Double Bubble" and the top pick is your post right here on TWT! You're gonna be a big star!
Well, I always wanted to be a star! :mrgreen:
(Of course, the unique grouping of that particular set of words may have had something to do with it.)

Good luck with the MRA on your B600. I'm very happy with the new screen on the 1250.

GregH
12-09-2007, 06:09 PM
...look what he has started since his original Bandit 1250S posting back on April 22,2007.
That merely proves there were a lot of Bandit kooks out there looking for a place to congregate! :mrgreen:

GregH
12-09-2007, 06:19 PM
Ken,
You're in luck, Skidmarx DOES make the Double Bubble for the 2000 GSF600S! http://www.skidmarx.co.uk/prices_screens_suzuki.htm
Email them for a US importer or you could probably order (http://www.skidmarx.co.uk/feedback_form.htm).

Ken Phenix
12-09-2007, 07:40 PM
Ken,
You're in luck, Skidmarx DOES make the Double Bubble for the 2000 GSF600S!

. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . too late.

Good luck with the MRA on your B600.

Roy
12-10-2007, 12:05 PM
Looks good Greg!

I ordered the Suzuki Double Bubble screen today for $55 from the stealer.

My Givi windscreen is for-sale if anyone is interested, contact me. Nothing wrong with it I just wanted a change.:rider:

GregH
12-10-2007, 01:26 PM
Be sure to take some pics and post a report, Roy.

Dale Walker told me he's going to design his own touring screen for the Bandit. He said the taller screens he's tested weren't really pushing the air up high enough or else have too much noise and buffeting. Skidmarx told him they'll build it if he'll design it. Dale also said it may take him a while since he's virtually re-building the Bandit with his pipes, parts, etc. :mrgreen:

rrrr
12-14-2007, 12:43 PM
I just put the Powerbronz on with the 4 inch rise, we'll see how it works!

GregH
12-14-2007, 02:29 PM
I just put the Powerbronz on with the 4 inch rise, we'll see how it works!
As always: post pics and a ride report. :eat:

Mike in Clear Lake
12-14-2007, 10:08 PM
Nicely done thanks for the pics and narrative.

Mike

GregH
12-14-2007, 10:14 PM
Nicely done thanks for the pics and narrative.
Thanks for the kind words, Mike. I've received so much help from this board that I'm just trying to pay a little back.

Mike in Clear Lake
12-15-2007, 08:43 AM
Thanks for the kind words, Mike. I've received so much help from this board that I'm just trying to pay a little back.

Yep. Gotta say I've gotten a lot of good info since I got here, and most of the banter is pretty cool. I'll be sending them something for Christmas.

Mike

suzukijo
12-18-2007, 06:54 PM
http://www.twtex.com/forums/showthread.php?t=23443

see post #12, i guess i should posted that here......

marylynn
01-02-2008, 11:20 PM
how much you want for it?
Lynnedowning@gmail.com

GregH
01-03-2008, 09:02 PM
how much you want for it?

MaryLynn, want for what? :confused:

suzukijo
01-04-2008, 08:54 PM
it.

PhilS
01-04-2008, 08:57 PM
Looks good Greg!

My Givi windscreen is for-sale if anyone is interested, contact me. Nothing wrong with it I just wanted a change.:rider:

"It" - nice Joe.

Perhaps Marylynn is looking to buy Roy's Givi???

marylynn
01-04-2008, 08:58 PM
are you selling a windshield that fits a 1250 Bandit?

PhilS
01-04-2008, 09:00 PM

PM Roy.

marylynn
01-04-2008, 09:16 PM
I am in the market for a windscreen I own 1250 with 6400 miles can't wait to get one, will it fit and can you send me a picture?
Thanks
Marylynn

suzukijo
01-04-2008, 09:27 PM
me and a few others, bought the holeshot skidmarx, from www.holeshot.com under the touring products section. its not full protection like a touring screen, but its about halfway between stock and the big-uns.

i like mine.

Roy
01-04-2008, 09:36 PM

marylynn, I had a Givi windscreen for-sale and A1A from the board has already purchased it from me.

BTW the Givi is a nice screen is just did not work for me.

GregH
01-05-2008, 02:14 PM
If you go to beginning of this thread you'll see that I installed my windscreen...thus, I'm keeping it. :mrgreen:

Go to Holeshot and buy your replacement from Dale. I'm 5'10" and the wind comes right at the bridge of my nose while running 70+ mph. It's a great screen.

etcthorne
01-05-2008, 07:54 PM
Roy, what is it you didn't like about your Givi? I just ordered one from Twisted Throttle. It looks to me that it will be high enough to get the wind at least at my helmet, if not above.

Roy
01-05-2008, 09:00 PM
Roy, what is it you didn't like about your Givi? I just ordered one from Twisted Throttle. It looks to me that it will be high enough to get the wind at least at my helmet, if not above.

At 5'9" it put the wind at my helmet brow which was too noisey. I could not hear/talk on my phone above 60 mph or hear my MP3 player. Cleaner air with the OEM screen for me but too much wind on the chest. The OEM double bubble was a in between for me and has worked so far. The Givi was a nice build quality and seems to work better for taller riders.

suzukijo
01-05-2008, 09:13 PM
i dont have a givi, but heres a general outlook on shields/screens.

a small low screen, doesnt provide much protection at slow speeds, but at high speeds it lets the bike cut thru the air more easily. small screens are less likely to make the bike jerk to one side in cross winds.

a big screen, high and or flat, offers a lot of protection from the wind at slow speeds. it pushes more air and creates a larger cavity of low pressure in front of your chest. the downside to this is at speed, it becomes bigger than it needs to be and keeps the bike from going really fast, and also is more effected by cross winds, pushing the bike around.

depending on what you are looking for, low speed protection, or streamlining at high speed, small or large is your decision.

finding a good-looking screeen, that does what you want, and performs at the speeds you generally ride is key.

what some say is great protection, may not be for you, everyones comfort level is different.

the holeshot skidmarx looked like what i wanted, and ended up providing the protection i wanted, it may not be for everyone, not much bigger than stk.

etcthorne
01-06-2008, 07:25 AM
Thanks Roy. I'm 6'0", so we'll give her a try. I do know that larger screens also seem to slow the bike, although with *** much gravitas as the Bandit has, I'm not sure it will be noticeable. I do know that I need to pick up some foam earplugs too - the wind noise. I'm hoping the Givi puts the wind at mid-helmet or higher level. I may find that the Givi isn't quite what I was looking for, sell it here and get something different. Geez, I think I've put well over $1,500 in each bike I've had in the last four years (Honda Shadow ACE 750, VTX1800C, Suzuki Katana 750, Suzuki C50T, and now the Bandit). I seem to also be swapping between cruisers and 4 bangers a lot. I think I'm permanently over the twin scene though.

"Back in the day" bikes (I've been riding for 30 years): Honda CB350 (wish I still had this one for restoration), Yamaha RD-400, Honda Magna, Kawasaki LTD 550, Yamaha Maxim 550 - (2 of these - this bike was a SCREAMER!).

You know, I've always wanted to make a road trip (500 miles or greater) on one of these, and I've never managed to either do it or find the time, between US Navy duties and family life. I think this next year I'm going to do some long distance touring, and I think the Bandit is the bike to do it on.

GregH
01-06-2008, 10:25 AM
...I do know that I need to pick up some foam earplugs too - the wind noise.
You need to ride with ear protection ALL of the time. The wind turbulence and noise is damaging to your ears. It's very serious.
Start HERE (http://www.webbikeworld.com/Earplugs/earplugs.htm) and read how dangerous riding is to your hearing.

Bottom line: always ride with ear plugs.

GregH
01-06-2008, 10:30 AM
Cleaner air with the OEM screen for me but too much wind on the chest. The OEM double bubble was a in between for me and has worked so far...

The Holeshot/Skidmarx Double Bubble has been the same for me. Even though the air is hitting the bridge of my nose (above 65 mph) it's [relatively] quiet and there is no buffeting. And since the air is no longer hitting me in the chest it's not trying to take my helmet off, along with my head!:clap:

Roy
01-06-2008, 10:32 AM
You need to ride with ear protection ALL of the time. The wind turbulence and noise is damaging to your ears. It's very serious.
Start HERE (http://www.webbikeworld.com/Earplugs/earplugs.htm) and read how dangerous riding is to your hearing.

Bottom line: always ride with ear plugs.

Yep ear plugs do help in more ways than just keeping out the noise.

marylynn
01-06-2008, 05:12 PM
ok thanks for the reply back, do you think the touring screen is a little taller and if so how much taller the screen is?
Marylynn

GregH
01-06-2008, 06:46 PM
...do you think the touring screen is a little taller and if so how much
See the first picture in this thread. It is the Holeshot/Skidmarx Double Bubble sitting on top of the stock screen.

A1A
01-06-2008, 06:48 PM
I just got back from a nice 200 mile ride today. I'm happy to say I'm truely pleased with the Givi D262S windshield. I hardly notice any wind at sane speeds like 65mph and below. I do get some wind hitting the arms, tops of both shoulders and mostly at the front facial area of the helmet, when going supersonic. But for my height 6' 0" tall and 31" inseam I can tuck in much easier behind the taller Givi screen, as compared to the stock screen. In addition all the bugs are hitting my helmet and face shield only now. So I don't have to clean bugs off the front of my leather jacket anymore. Now all I have to do is remember to buy some ear plugs. I've been aiming to get ear plugs for a while now. This should be a lot cooler in the 95 degree, 100% humidity Florida summers using a full face helmet, as well.

marylynn
01-07-2008, 12:57 PM
Do you think the windshield (Givi) would be to tall for 5'6" tall person because I am getting ready to order I am thinking this would be a good one for myself. Can you measure from the top of the windshield to the ground for me?
Marylynn

A1A
01-07-2008, 01:42 PM
Do you think the windshield (Givi) would be to tall for 5'6" tall person because I am getting ready to order I am thinking this would be a good one for myself. Can you measure from the top of the windshield to the ground for me?
Marylynn

Marylynn,
I think you could get a much closer measurement for yourself. By taping a small plastic ruler or the like 4.6 " inches higher to the existing stock shield. In this way you will have the bike on the centerstand and be able to sit in your normal riding position. This to me would give you a much better result. It is my opinion if the top of the shield is higher than the tip of your nose, it would be to tall for you. I think if you do the above and have your hubby stand back and determine wear the top of the shield would line up for you.
The total length of the Givi D262S windshield is 17 9/16" inches.
I just measured from the floor to the highest point on the Givi shield. The bike on the centerstand from floor to top of shield is approx. 53 3/4" inches high.
Check out the 14th thread down in the Bandit 1250 Forums section. Titled Suzuki Touring Windscreen for a look see of the screen on Phil's Red Bandit 1250.

Hope This Helps You Out!

suzukijo
02-28-2008, 08:49 PM
i have a holeshot screen.

i noticed today, i leave my bike sitting in the sun daily because i ride it to work and there is no shade during parts of the day and i do not use a bike cover, that the top of the instrument housing is melted/deformed, probably from the magnifying glass shape of the new screen.

i have seen this type of damage before, so it looks like i need to leave a towel over the instruments during the day, or else risk more damage.

http://img407.imageshack.us/img407/1059/img0334ux4.jpg

Brass
02-29-2008, 10:34 AM
I've had similar damage on other bikes as well. If you don't mind a tinted windscreen you can apply some automotive window tint to the underside of the screen to darken it up. That should help stop it from happening again.

JaredM
06-30-2008, 04:09 PM
I just got the givi windshield....I hope to have it on soon. I got the old one out, and realized that the tabs (painted ones) in the clips broke off when twisting the allen wrench. Also, the well nuts seem to drop out every time I try to twist the screws back in....what gives? Is there a trick to this? Has anyone experienced this tab breaking? the tabs are like the thickness of 3 sheets of paper? do you have to take off the mirrors? I did not to take the old windshield off.

GregH
06-30-2008, 06:58 PM
...the tabs (painted ones) in the clips broke off when twisting the allen wrench. Also, the well nuts seem to drop out every time I try to twist the screws back in....what gives?

I broke one of those clips when installing the inside fairing. I believe I had the metal tab crooked to the plastic clip and over-cranked. I used some super glue to get the tab into the correct spot. I let it harden overnight then put the fairing on. All is well.
See the fourth post in this thread for my take on the rubber well nuts.

achesley
07-01-2008, 07:55 AM
Uhhhhhhhhhh! I wish I would of found this thread before installing my PowerBronze shield. One of the little rubber coated nuts left for parts unknown. Had to swap stuff about then. :yawn:
I have a Givi touring s coming now. The PB is working okay but want to see if I can get the air another inch or two higher on my helmet. :rider:
I have a DoubleBubble in the box with the package unopened if anyone is interested in going that way. Ordered it before finding the PB shield and will not use it.
Ear plugs are your friend. I order them by the box. Took trying several kinds to get the ones my ears liked the best for 8 hrs day after day.

JaredM
07-01-2008, 01:38 PM
well got the screen back on. The tabs are broken....apparently the manufacturer over cranked them when they built the bike. BOTH were in the metal clip nearest the speedometer and one was completely shattered and the other partially. no wonder they came off when trying to back the screws out. I even had to use a wrench to get the broken pieces out of the clip because the screw was so tight.
The trick to the well nuts is to tighten only a little at a time on each one and to keep checking their depth

GregH
07-01-2008, 04:40 PM
...The trick to the well nuts is to tighten only a little at a time on each one and to keep checking their depth
And to keep a finger behind them until you get the threads engaged.

rajdude
07-08-2008, 07:58 AM
Which PB shield do you have: the "Airflow windscreen (Double Bubble)" OR the "Flip-Up screen" ??

Uhhhhhhhhhh! I wish I would of found this thread before installing my PowerBronze shield. One of the little rubber coated nuts left for parts unknown. Had to swap stuff about then. :yawn:
I have a Givi touring s coming now. The PB is working okay but want to see if I can get the air another inch or two higher on my helmet. :rider:
I have a DoubleBubble in the box with the package unopened if anyone is interested in going that way. Ordered it before finding the PB shield and will not use it.
Ear plugs are your friend. I order them by the box. Took trying several kinds to get the ones my ears liked the best for 8 hrs day after day.

achesley
07-09-2008, 12:59 AM
Which PB shield do you have: the "Airflow windscreen (Double Bubble)" OR the "Flip-Up screen" ??

http://www.twistedthrottle.com/trade/productview/3713/584/

This is the one I have. I really have not taken it out of the package to look at it. I'll be back home in a week and then can look at the exact numbers on the label.

Andy > Offshore Louisiana on a 14 day hitch.

whitesands
07-09-2008, 03:00 AM
Looks nice...

mfeuerman
07-10-2008, 03:18 PM
After reading the thread and reviewing the installation pictures I also purchased and installed the Holeshot/SkidMarx Double Bubble for my Bandit 1250s. GregH was not only spot on with the improvements it offered he also made the installation a simple process with his Windscreen Installation thread.

There are no instructions that come with the windscreen and the fact that you have to pay attention to the length of the cap screws is very valuable. Getting it right and remembering which ones require the longer screws makes the installation much easier. I also had to hold the rubber nut and washer from behind in order to get the screws started.

What a valuable thread this was and what great installation instructions. About the only thing I can add is that when you remove the plug from the instrument cluster you kill the power to the clock module. After reinstalling the cluster your clock is going to be off and will need to be reset.

Good job GregH! The screen is a great improvement over the original.

rajdude
07-10-2008, 03:21 PM
Sounds good!

BTW, for reference here is a link to my thread at the other site:

http://www.maximum-suzuki.com/forums/index.php/topic,67329.0.html

All windshields at one page.

GregH
07-10-2008, 06:11 PM
Good job GregH!
Thanks for the kind words. I've received a lot of help from people on this board and am glad I could add something.

achesley
07-17-2008, 10:31 PM
I just installed a Givi flip up yesterday on my '07 Bandit. Took off the PB flip up. Both shields the same height. The Givi does have a pronounced flip up where the PB didn't have one. I believe the Givi put the air stream about an inch higher on my helmet than the pb due to the flip up on the Givi. Not as high as I was hoping for though. I'll leave the Givi on as it's better quality and fits better. But as for performance? Not 70 bucks better than the PB shield. Both are higher than the Skidmarc "Double bubble' I have and never took out of the plastic package.
As a note, I have spacers on my handlebars that are about 1.5 up and back so I'm sitting more upright than you normally would on the bike. Air hits my little 5' 9" body about 1/3rd down from the top of the face shield.
Now I have two extra shields for my bike. Any one interested in one , yell. I also have a throttle lock that fits the end of the handlebar I'm not gonna use as I put on a Throttlemiser instead.

rich765
11-23-2008, 09:56 PM
I ordered a Givi windscreen and am attempting to take out the old one right now. It seems that on the 2008 model the screw where the red arrow is pointing (on thread #4) is installed from the outside faring side, there's no way to access it without taking the whole outside cowl faring off. With that said anyone have any tips for removing it? Also if you look at the red arrow there is another screw a few inches to the right which holds down that faring , there's supposed to be two of them and they're both gone along with one clip,any advice where to get these? I guess my bike was put together on a friday afternoon.:giveup: Thanks guys.

sproggy
11-24-2008, 04:41 AM
I ordered a Givi windscreen and am attempting to take out the old one right now. It seems that on the 2008 model the screw where the red arrow is pointing (on thread #4) is installed from the outside faring side, there's no way to access it without taking the whole outside cowl faring off. With that said anyone have any tips for removing it? Also if you look at the red arrow there is another screw a few inches to the right which holds down that faring , there's supposed to be two of them and they're both gone along with one clip,any advice where to get these? I guess my bike was put together on a friday afternoon.:giveup: Thanks guys.

It's not installed from the outside. You have to remove the instruments to get to it - undo the two screws on the lower front edge of the instrument housing and pull the instruments back - they're located at the top by a plastic 'mushroom' in a rubber grommet so they'll resist a bit. Then unplug the multi-connector from the instrument pack and remove it from the bike. You'll now be able to access the two lower screen screws.

pesto_boy
11-24-2008, 10:04 AM
Has anybody had a chance to compare the Double Bubble with the Givi screens? Or even others...

I have a Givi on my Bandit and , even though it is much, MUCH better than the stock, I still would like to have more protection on my face as I often ride with an open-face helmet.

sproggy
11-24-2008, 11:03 AM
Has anybody had a chance to compare the Double Bubble with the Givi screens? Or even others...

I have a Givi on my Bandit and , even though it is much, MUCH better than the stock, I still would like to have more protection on my face as I often ride with an open-face helmet.

I've ridden with the stock screen (briefly - it's useless) the Skidmarx d/b screen (didn't fit well, looked horrible but more protection than stock) and for the last few thousand miles the Suzuki Touring d/b screen which is the best of the three by far. But both d/b screens are a LONG way from offering visor-up or open face riding.

From the look of it the Givi (assuming you mean the D262S?) it would give more protection than the d/b screens but I haven't tried it myself.

I honestly think that I'd get more protection from a bar-mounted screen (i.e. converting the bike to the naked version) because it would be closer to me than the fairing mounted screen, and I'm seriously considering going down this route. The stock fairing doesn't give much in the way of protection anyway - it's too narrow. A decent screen on a naked Bandit would, I suspect, be better for touring. And, arguably, look better.

I chose the faired Bandit (we have the choice here :rider: ) because I thought it was more suitable for touring than the naked one but now I'm not so sure.......

pesto_boy
11-24-2008, 12:23 PM
I agree, a bar-mounted windscreens would give you far more protection, and better adjustment options... 'not quite sure if the style of the bike would look quite as 'finished' though.

I wish I could find some sort of 'clip-on' top screen that I could simply add for long trips and remove for city commuting.

A1A
11-24-2008, 12:46 PM
Just my .02 cents worth here, but I don't think the Bandit 1250 was meant to be an open face helmet motorcycle. Now on the other hand the Givi shield with the Vstrom works.

rich765
11-24-2008, 12:57 PM
I removed the instrument cluster . I see the lower screws for the windscreen , the only problem is that i'm looking at the threads of the screws because they're installed from the other side. I guess whoever assembled the bike put the windscreen on first and then put the outside faring on over the screw heads. I'm assuming that the dealer installs the windscreen and the "mechanic" who installed it put on the faring afterward. I'm also missing the two lower screws that attach the outer faring (the two under the lowest part of the windshield -the guy probably couldn't get them in because he put the windscreen on first - so he just figured he'd leave 'em out). My friend says bring it back to them- I think NO !

pesto_boy
11-24-2008, 03:47 PM
Just my .02 cents worth here, but I don't think the Bandit 1250 was meant to be an open face helmet motorcycle. Now on the other hand the Givi shield with the Vstrom works.

Well, technically it is not a smart thing to wear on open-face helmet on ANY motorcycle - for safety reasons - but on a nice hot day it sure is a nice feeling!

The bandit would be just fine with open-face if the Givi windscreen was a little more upright and had a little more of a lip on it.

cruizer
11-24-2008, 04:00 PM
I've ridden with the stock screen (briefly - it's useless) the Skidmarx d/b screen (didn't fit well, looked horrible but more protection than stock) and for the last few thousand miles the Suzuki Touring d/b screen which is the best of the three by far. But both d/b screens are a LONG way from offering visor-up or open face riding.

If you have a good screen you won't be wishing for something better at the end of the day. The Suzuki touring screen accomplishes that goal for me. I've never thought about trying anything different since installing it 8000 miles ago. I think I paid something like $70.00 for it. I haven't tried other windscreens, no reason to...it just flat works for its intended purpose at a great price. I never even think about it while riding...because it works. It won't keep the bugs off your face, you'll have to buy a Goldwing or much larger shield to do that. I highly recommend it. Suzuki did their homework on this one.;-)

GregH
11-24-2008, 04:41 PM
My friend says bring it back to them- I think NO !

I'd complain enough to at least get all of the bolts and spacers.

achesley
11-24-2008, 04:52 PM
It's not installed from the outside. You have to remove the instruments to get to it - undo the two screws on the lower front edge of the instrument housing and pull the instruments back - they're located at the top by a plastic 'mushroom' in a rubber grommet so they'll resist a bit. Then unplug the multi-connector from the instrument pack and remove it from the bike. You'll now be able to access the two lower screen screws.

My top screws were backwards. I had to take everything loose to get to them first time. I turned them around right when doing my first windshield change. They were that way from the factory with the allen heads facing out instead of in to the instrument panel. Now , all I have to do is pull the panel and a couple screws on the top cowling to change shields.
Which by the way was to a Powerbronze flip., the first ones that were defaulted. Then I tried a double bubble which had less protection than the PB and then a Givi touring and now back to the new PB. The Givi had a little more flip than the PB but the PB is a bit wider at the top. Still the air hits about mid face on my helmet. This is with a 5' 9" rider and 1.5 x 1.5 up and back bar backs so sitting up straighter than stock.

rich765
11-24-2008, 06:08 PM
fall 2008 132

bad attempt at posting a photo . :(

sproggy
11-25-2008, 04:14 AM
They were that way from the factory with the allen heads facing out instead of in to the instrument panel.

I think rich765 is right - the screen would be installed by the dealer, not at the factory. That's why there's scope for getting it wrong.

Just goes to show that some dealers really don't know what they're doing......

achesley
11-25-2008, 10:45 AM
I'm also missing the two lower screws that attach the outer faring (the two under the lowest part of the windshield -the guy probably couldn't get them in because he put the windscreen on first - so he just figured he'd leave 'em out). My friend says bring it back to them- I think NO !

I had a few screws missing on my Bandit also. The dealer did give me the stuff for free But I installed them myself. My bike would have to have a very serious problem before I would let any mech besides myself touch it. Then I wonder about myself at times. :lol2: :lol2: :lol2:

Fittysom'n
11-25-2008, 11:40 AM
Screens are problematic, either they work for you or they don't (given your choice of helmet, torso height, handlebars, etc.), besides.... it's also about your personal taste regarding 'protection from the elements' -vs- wind noise -vs- felt turbulence.

Given what I've read so far, it's sounding like the Yamaha Touring Screen might be (more than) enough for my short torso & lowered saddle. I expect I may get protection from the cold during my winter commuting, but I may get increased wind noise as well. I wear ear plugs though (or an MP3 player), so I should be good.

What I fear (after reading this thread) is the process of installation. I had to take my bike back to the dealer because my speedo/tach was flapping all over the place for the first 600 miles! They fixed it, but makes me wonder about the initial dealer set-up....

Jus' goes to show, "if ya want it done right....."

sproggy
11-25-2008, 12:16 PM
Given what I've read so far, it's sounding like the Yamaha Touring Screen might be (more than) enough for my short torso & lowered saddle. I expect I may get protection from the cold during my winter commuting, but I may get increased wind noise as well.

I'd try the Suzuki one if I were you - the Yamaha one probably won't fit so well :rofl:

Seriously, though, regarding wind noise I found the Skidmarx screen to be quite noisy but the Suzuki Touring one is no noisier than stock. For me. But as you say there are an infinite number of variations so that means nothing for you. And now I've changed my riding position I may hate it.

At least there's a ready market for screens on eBay (in the UK at least) so if you buy one you don't like you stand to get a reasonable proportion of your money back selling it, then you can try another one.

Fittysom'n
11-25-2008, 12:41 PM
D'OH!
Yeah, think I'll try a 'Zuki screen instead.....

Speaking of screens and my Yamaha, I sported a Zero Gravity screen on the FZ1 and LOVED it! -- BUT -- I found out that Zero Gravity screens are made of a type plastic that breaks into sharp dagger shaped shards.... and people have posted pictures of their screen with the shards pointing at their neck after hitting a bird/rock/some'n at speed...! I gave it to a buddy with the disclaimer that Zero Gravity's are known to break into pointed shards, and went back to the factory screen (that I painted black).

Unless I hear otherwise, I won't be putting another ZG on any of my bikes, and am now aware that we may not always BE AWARE of what we're buying.....

GregH
11-25-2008, 10:25 PM
...regarding wind noise I found the Skidmarx screen to be quite noisy but the Suzuki Touring one is no noisier than stock.

I find the Skidmarx Double Bubble significantly quieter than the stock screen. Not to mention the horrible buffeting from the stock screen at speeds above 65mph is absent with the Skidmarx DB. It's a good fit for me.

sproggy
11-26-2008, 04:37 AM
I find the Skidmarx Double Bubble significantly quieter than the stock screen. Not to mention the horrible buffeting from the stock screen at speeds above 65mph is absent with the Skidmarx DB. It's a good fit for me.

That just proves that one person's recommendation for a screen is valueless to someone else. I got no buffeting from the stock screen (didn't get much protection either....).

pesto_boy
11-26-2008, 09:52 AM
That just proves that one person's recommendation for a screen is valueless to someone else. I got no buffeting from the stock screen (didn't get much protection either....).

+1!
I'm 5'11", and with the stock screen I found the wind blast to be so bad and so constant for any buffeting to be felt.
I suppose if you're 5'4", with a short torso, and leaning forward slightly, the stock will do fine...

Fittysom'n
11-26-2008, 11:14 AM
I'm 5' 2" sitting in a cut-down factory saddle. The only reason I'm a little apprehensive to try another screen, is because the protection afforded me is with minor turbulence (but significant wind noise). Any higher a screen may put put my head where the noise is worst.

The quietest screen is either a HUGE "barn door" (best for cold winter riding), or one that simply takes the wind off your chest leaving your helmeted head in "clean air".

Suzuki incorporated naca duct technology as seen by the cut-out at the base of our screen. This relieves the air pressure differences between the air that swirls behind our head and the envelope of protection directly behind the screen. Without it, our helmeted heads would be pushed from behind and fighting quite a bit of turbulence. In short, for such a small screen.... Suzuki's factory screen is really quite effective.

It's trial and error: type helmet, torso height, seating position, and a preference of wind noise over turbulence, or barn door protection instead of cosmetic appeal. There IS however that single "sweet spot" where compromise is at it's best..... and ya just gotta keep trying stuff until you find it.

pesto_boy
11-26-2008, 02:36 PM
Well put Fittysom'n! What works for me might not work for the next guy...

gunzip
11-27-2008, 10:28 AM
for my two cents ; I've tried 3 different screens and they all suck just in different ways. When I lean over to the side or sit up really tall and get out of the shield induced turbulance and noise ; It is so much more pleasant . If I had the choice i would surely go with a naked bandit and get a big bar mount plexi screen for winter.
btw I made a windscreen that actually worked on the bandit but it was a bit funky looking, it's been broken but i may mount it back up and post a pic just to get some feedback

my two cents :sun:

Fittysom'n
11-27-2008, 11:30 AM
One (cold) night when riding home, I set my Vista cruise control and proceeded to place my hands in different positions above and off to the sides of the screen. Though my hands couldn't be independent of my arms, I found that if I placed the palms of my hands parallel and off to the sides at the bottom of the screen.... wind noise and turbulence was reduced significantly.

I haven't gone to a Honda dealership yet, but I wanted to look for a set of those supplemental clear plastic wings that Goldwing guys mount to the sides of their windshields. It may take drilling a couple holes in my windshield, but if they work.... I might try them on the 2" tinted & taller Suzuki screen.

SoCalBandit
11-27-2008, 01:12 PM
If you have a good screen you won't be wishing for something better at the end of the day. The Suzuki touring screen accomplishes that goal for me. I've never thought about trying anything different since installing it 8000 miles ago. I think I paid something like $70.00 for it. I haven't tried other windscreens, no reason to...it just flat works for its intended purpose at a great price. I never even think about it while riding...because it works. It won't keep the bugs off your face, you'll have to buy a Goldwing or much larger shield to do that. I highly recommend it. Suzuki did their homework on this one.;-)

Thanks for the review but try and remember to post what height you are.
A screen may work for a 5'8" guy but not a 6' 2" guy. :mrgreen:

Anyone know if ZERO GRAVITY has their screen ready yet for the 1250 Bandit? They've been working on it for over a year now, sheesh how long does it take to "engineer" a piece of plastic? :scratch: :mrgreen:

rich765
11-28-2008, 01:58 AM
Got in touch with the dealer , he told me he would be happy to pick up the bike form my home and install the windscreen for me for free. I opted for the parts that were missing and will do the install myself , he agreed and i'm waiting for them to come in. got the whole front of the bike apart, looks pretty ugly:puke: a little word of advice to new bike dealers. Don't put the windscreen on first and build the rest of the bike around it !

achesley
11-28-2008, 04:31 AM
Another thing I've done to my windshield mounting setup was to get some of the clips for the screws rather than those little rubber jobs that punch out so easy and you can't ever find them till days later. :oops: Been working fine so far.

Derwood
11-30-2008, 12:46 AM
I've just ordered the Puig touring screen for my 07 650s. Dealer couldn't find much else available for that model. Says 8mm (3.25") taller. Will let you know how it works.

Fittysom'n
11-30-2008, 11:50 AM
I apologize for the candor,
but last night's midnight ride home in sub 50* temps..... with fog & condensation, was NOT a problem....... save for the speckles of condensation that formed on my face shield.

(Factory screen, hand guards, 5' 2", lowered saddle, ear plugs, leather & fleece.)

My growing concern is the felt turbulence from BOTH the hand guards, and recently installed top box. Granted the concern is a direct result of exceeding the legal freeway speed limit, but HEY..... what better way to test these things than at the limit?!?

cruizer
12-03-2008, 10:21 AM
Thanks for the review but try and remember to post what height you are.
A screen may work for a 5'8" guy but not a 6' 2" guy. :mrgreen:

Anyone know if ZERO GRAVITY has their screen ready yet for the 1250 Bandit? They've been working on it for over a year now, sheesh how long does it take to "engineer" a piece of plastic? :scratch: :mrgreen:

Very true. :doh: I'm 5'11", 185 lbs plus I have a Corbin seat that sits me down another inch or so.

achesley
12-03-2008, 06:06 PM
My next experiment on my windshield problem is coming up soon. Just in from offshore today so have most of 2 weeks to play.
I bought a Laminar lip a few weeks ago but the fit to the PB windshield was not good as it didn't have nearly the curve in it that the PB had plus grounding out against the top of the lip. It worked pretty good but was coming unglued from the stress of bending it to fit , so, I took it off before it flew off. But, while it was on there, it seemed to be working pretty good.
What I plan to do is get out the heat gun and try to bend the laminar to match the PB bend and make sure we have good air flow between the two shields. Even if I need to cut some of the flip off the BP shield. Then screw the whole mess together and see what it does.
Doesn't seem like anyone is interested in making a good taller touring shield for the Bandit so I'm gonna try this.
I have tried the Stock, a PB flip, a doublebubble and a givi touring so far and none of them get the air to the top of my helmet with my bar backs sitting me more upright and taller than the stock handle bar set up. If I screw up the PB I'll put the Givi back on. Sigh! But better wrecking an 80 buck PB rather than a 140 buck Givi. ;-)
My set up is 1.5 by 1.5 inch bar backs, a Corbin saddle and 5' 9" tall. the PB flip and the Givi touring hit me about mid face shield. Need to get it up a few more inches to just touching the top of the helmet with good even wind flow. Like I had on my BMW's and DL1000. :rider:

Fittysom'n
12-18-2008, 06:55 PM
Breathing new life into the windscreen thread......

After yesterday's ride in the sub 40's, I was curious what the result would be if I taped off the opening at the bottom of our 1250's factory windshield. I also ran strips of heavy duty duct tape from the top corners of the windshield to mid-fairing.... just short of my hand guards ripping 'em off.

-- RESULTS MAY VARY --

On a quick twenty miler, I pulled over after ten miles and ripped the tape off that was covering my opening. I got back onto the freeway and promptly noticed significantly more chill at my chin, increased wind noise, and more turbulence in the factory (open cutaway) configuration. Ten miles later, I taped the opening back up with the tape I ripped off the sides of the windshield. The results? Less turbulence again, no chilly chin, and significantly more noise (since taking the tape off the sides of the windshield).

When I got home, I did a clean job of taping off the opening at the base of my windshield, then rode out to the Delta for lunch and Sacramento to a gun range. I LIKE THE OEM OPENING OF OUR WINDSHIELD TAPED OVER. But keep in mind that I have a short torso, hand guards, top box, and cut down saddle.

I'm curious if anybody else has taped off the bottom of their windshield(???).

bandit1911
12-22-2008, 11:38 PM
Got a suzuki touring screen on Ebay $50 new! Wind protection a lot better then stock and wind noise only 10% more. wind hits me low on helmet. Had mra touring with flip and vent slots ,:rider: wind hit higher on helmet but noise was too much for me, If i sit up tall in seat it works ok maybe a six foot tall rider would like it. I am 5'8'' standard set up.

achesley
12-23-2008, 05:06 AM
I thrash a new PB flip last time home. Was drilling holes to mount a laminar lip to it. Must of got it in a bind and it went C R A C K !. Was pretty cold out in the shop. Maybe next time I'll heat it up a bit.
Oh well, another saga in the life of trying to get a decent touring shield set up I like. ' (

Shotrod
02-07-2009, 11:33 AM
After reading through the posts on windscreens..I've narrowed my choice to the Skidmarx or MRA screen (DBs both).. I like the looks just a bit better on the MRA...but... before I spends my money..any last thoughts..either seem to hold up better? scratch less, better fit? I'm 5'8" and it looks like wind protection is not a big difference on either for me.
Thanks in advance:help: :headbang:

GregH
02-07-2009, 08:53 PM
I'm still running with the Holeshot/Skidmarx Double Bubble and it's great. No cracks, no flexing, no problems. It's a winner.

Shotrod
02-08-2009, 12:05 AM
I'm still running with the Holeshot/Skidmarx Double Bubble and it's great. No cracks, no flexing, no problems. It's a winner.

Thanks Greg..One of the folks here has one for sale, and I'm gonna give it a whirl.

1250Pete
02-08-2009, 08:18 AM
Don't know about the holeshot but I hav the MRA Vario touring it's the third windscreen I have tried. Works pretty good for me I like the option of being able to chang the air flow. I am 5'-10"

achesley
02-09-2009, 06:52 AM
Don't know about the holeshot but I hav the MRA Vario touring it's the third windscreen I have tried. Works pretty good for me I like the option of being able to chang the air flow. I am 5'-10"

Pete,
How high up is the wind flow hitting your helmet? I've tried MRA Double bubble, Power Bronze Flip and my present Givi touring. All of them had the flow hitting about mid face shield. Would love to get it to the top of the helmet. Just enough for the vents to work at the top.
5'9" here with 1.5" back and up bar backs. Corbin seat also.

GregH
02-09-2009, 09:14 PM
Andy,
I'm 5'10" and the wind hits me across the bridge of the nose. A little higher when above 70 mph.

1250Pete
02-09-2009, 10:07 PM
I would say the wind hits some where around eye level or just above. I have the twisted throttle barbacks 1" up & 1" back. Corbin seat also.

Shotrod
02-21-2009, 11:50 AM
Thanks to DRW, I now have a skidmarx W/Screen. Installed it today, will go check it out on a ride later. My thanks to DRW, and to you guys who have posted info on screens and how to install them. Was a snap to install, but I think I'll take it back off later on and trim a small area just behind the front mount hole. I see a bit of interference with the inner fairing cover making it stick out just a bit. Those little rubber mounted nuts were almost a pain, until I put a bit of oil on them and the screw..worked easily then.
http://pic90.picturetrail.com:80/VOL2235/12040504/21408772/355615925.jpg

Fittysom'n
02-22-2009, 12:32 PM
I must say, that taller SkidMarx fits the proportions of the bike better than the OEM screen. I look forward to reading your impression of it's protection, noise, etc.

Shotrod
02-22-2009, 02:43 PM
I must say, that taller SkidMarx fits the proportions of the bike better than the OEM screen. I look forward to reading your impression of it's protection, noise, etc.

Two rides on it, and some impressions.
I think the noise level is no worse than stock, and the comfort level is much better. I like the looks, would like it a bit darker, but its bettern stock <g>.
Riding it, I notice a real difference at all speeds. I'm 5'8". Around town it has a better bubble behind it, at 60 I love it. On the Interstate I get a bit of buffetting at anything over 75 (still less than the stock). The best thing I've noted is that my helmet stays put better. I rode on I-4 friday , and really had a problem keeping my helmet comfortable, the wind was trying to raise it. After I installed it Saturday, and rode it then and today, its much better. I don't have to cinch my helmet down as tightly. Much more comfortable. My helmet is a full face HJC Cl-15. I may break out my old Shoei and try it later.
All in all, much happier with the new screen. Gotta get used to the profile while riding though..looks much taller from the saddle .

Fittysom'n
02-23-2009, 01:57 AM
I was surprised recently when I found myself on a 'Net site selling SkidMarx windscreens..... in a variety of heights, colors, shades and shapes. Either the Bandit 1250 has a limited selection available, or our vendors are offering only the lightly tinted taller version. But I must say I'm (more) interested now in the available SkidMarx, thank you for posting your impressions.

mi1lertm
02-23-2009, 07:26 PM
Anybody notice micro cracks in their DB (skidmarx, HS bought) I have had mine for a while now but after installing it and breaking it in (hi speed run) I noticed a few small lines in it (micro cracks). Issue has not gotten any worse and screen is solid but wondering if any one else has this issue. Do not know if it is the tint or the plastic.

Mark

sandman53
03-08-2009, 08:44 PM
Looks good Greg!

I am interested in your Givi windscreen. Going to be touring this summer-- would be great to try the windscreen out. Please get back to me at danmac53@yahoo.com

BlueStreak
09-11-2010, 03:45 PM

Sproggy: I know the above is an old post, but I'm trying to decide whether to buy a Skidmarx, the Suzuki Touring, or just stick with stock, and I'm wondering how tall you are. Knowing your height compared to mine would qualify the above.

Many thanks,

surfacc
09-13-2010, 06:26 AM
Hi,
I just installed the Suzuki 'Touring' screen and it is much better than standard. Not at the visor up no turbulence level but at a level that is, for me, acceptable. I am 187cm, 6'2', in US speak, and ended up getting the screen sent over from Wisconsin - much cheaper than anywhere in OZ.

achesley
09-13-2010, 08:42 AM
Great job. Go out and enjoy that bike now. ;-)

GregH
09-14-2010, 11:21 AM
surfacc,
I'm happy you have solved your windblast issue but where are the pics?!
We believe nothing without pics. :mrgreen:

surfacc
09-14-2010, 10:58 PM
The Before
http://i818.photobucket.com/albums/zz101/surfacc/DSC_0002.jpg

& After shots
http://i818.photobucket.com/albums/zz101/surfacc/DSC_0127.jpg

Cheers.

GregH
09-15-2010, 11:12 AM
OK, OK, I believe. I'm worried, but I believe! :mrgreen:

DRW
11-23-2010, 01:21 AM
What's the latest: Still waiting for you connected folk to enlighten the rest of us. Went for a 200 mile run today along CA. HWY ONE. Found that anything above 85 MPH on the stock speedo, with the Powerbronze touring windshield, was about what I would like to achieve, (less noise and buffeting), at legal speeds with that aloof windscreen, without compromising looks. Just Wondering

achesley
11-23-2010, 04:08 AM
I could not be happier with my ZG touring and Laminar lip set up I've been running for the last few thousand miles in wind or rain. Beats anything I've tried yet on this bike.

BlueStreak
11-23-2010, 07:40 AM
Surfacc, what is that strip that's blocking the vent at the bottom of the screen?

SoCalBandit
11-23-2010, 08:20 AM
Surfacc, what is that strip that's blocking the vent at the bottom of the screen?
That's not a strip blocking the vent....it's the "dash"....just looks that way.

whitesands
11-23-2010, 11:56 AM
I could not be happier with my ZG touring and Laminar lip set up I've been running for the last few thousand miles in wind or rain. Beats anything I've tried yet on this bike.

You know what...I still have my ZG after taking it off wishing that it was just a few inches taller...What Laminar Lip are you using ? This might be something I need to try.

achesley
11-23-2010, 02:03 PM
I had ordered one for the stock Bandit windshield but just used some spacers and put it on the ZG. I wish some one made one like the ZG but, about 4 inches taller or so. Even higher. You and always cut them down easier than adding to them.
http://i100.photobucket.com/albums/m25/achesley1943/The%20bikes/LaminarZGTour1.jpg
http://i100.photobucket.com/albums/m25/achesley1943/The%20bikes/Radarsetup4-5-20103-07-04PM.jpg

MetrickMetal
11-23-2010, 04:09 PM
Anybody notice micro cracks in their DB (skidmarx, HS bought) I have had mine for a while now but after installing it and breaking it in (hi speed run) I noticed a few small lines in it (micro cracks). Issue has not gotten any worse and screen is solid but wondering if any one else has this issue. Do not know if it is the tint or the plastic.

Mark

I remember Suzukijo's posting up about his Skidmarx DB cracking, and the Givi screen I bought also cracked on me.

BlueStreak
11-23-2010, 06:35 PM
That's not a strip blocking the vent....it's the "dash"....just looks that way.

OK. With the lighting, it looks like it's sitting on top of the vent, rather than under it. Thanks.

Shotrod
11-23-2010, 07:05 PM
I remember Suzukijo's posting up about his Skidmarx DB cracking, and the Givi screen I bought also cracked on me.

I have lots of what look like internal spidering on mine. I keep tapping it to see if its weak, but so far it seems ok. I'll take some pics in a bit and see if they show up. It seems to be getting worse. I first noticed them about 2 months after installation...been about a year and a half now. I like the screen...for me (5'8") it works well