• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

Tank protector from www.thetankslapper.biz

Reaction score
I just installed a Tank Slapper. The clear coating protecive film for your gas tank. I highly recommend it for anyone that wants to keep their tank looking scratch free.

It was a measly $17, and installed in about 30 minutes. Like putting on window tint, you just spray your tank, apply the plastic and squeegee it smooth.

The guy that makes them is in Escondido, and his house burnt down during the San Diego fires last month. He is now working out of a wooden shed and the tank slapper is was only income before the fires. So have a look at and order one from him - it fits the tank like a dream and you cant even see it!

www.thetankslapper.biz

JM

Sorry took so long to send a reply, yep, got one for the Bandit too. This is my third bike I've used the Tankslapper on but somehow this one was the hardest to smooth out completely.

I've used detergent mixed with the water spray, etc. Any ideas?

Actually, I've still got some bubbles and lint underneath. Maybe because the bike is black it is that much easier to see the imperfect installation. The other two was a bright blue Triumph Sprint RS and a red Yamaha FZ-1.

Does the job of protecting the paint and most folks won't even notice it.

Aloha,
Huladog

Any idea if he will be making a tank top kit also? Thanks for the info, I have never used this before, but will on the Bandit.

I've used detergent mixed with the water spray, etc. Any ideas?

Actually, I've still got some bubbles and lint underneath. Maybe because the bike is black it is that much easier to see the imperfect installation. The other two was a bright blue Triumph Sprint RS and a red Yamaha FZ-1.
He actually told me to use rubbing alcohol. I too got some lint under it, but I peeled it back and re-applied it. He says you can reapply as many times as you want, as the 3M stuff never becomes unsticky.

What is a tank top kit?

JM

He actually told me to use rubbing alcohol. I too got some lint under it, but I peeled it back and re-applied it. He says you can reapply as many times as you want, as the 3M stuff never becomes unsticky.

What is a tank top kit?

JM

Will try the alcohol the next time. I did it again, third time on the Bandit, and this time when I peeled it off I dropped them into a pan of soapy water to clean it off and keep the dust off. Wiped the tank down with the Honda spray cleaner/wax (that's good stuff), then carefully sprayed a lot of soapy water on the tank before squeegeing the film down again.

I think I got it right this time with no big bits of lint or bubbles. Yep, easy to just peel off your mistakes and try it again. That's the best part about this stuff.

When you get it right, you can't see it but it works!

Aloha,
Huladog

Ordering mine today.

I emailed Lucas and got this response about the availability for the top of the tank

Well so far Chris, we only have the three piece kit for the sides and rear of the tank, the top is something we planned to do when we can get our hand on a bike again. Dealers seem to be reluctant to stock inventory these days.

We’ll save your email and let you know when we have more for the bike.

Thanks for your interest,

Lucas​

Email him again, and tell him I would be willing to ride up some Saturday if he wanted to measure my Bandit tank.

Remind him that I am the guy that rode up to his house in the red Bandit to personally pick up a tank protector and that we talked about his BMW, and his house fire damage.

Just get him to call me or email me and I will ride up so he can measure the tank again.

john@mccarthy.net
858 678 0197

JM

Thanks John, I passed this on to Lucas, he replied and will be calling you soon.

last Edit. He said turn around for him is only a couple days from when he gets a bike to measure from.

Update: I went to visit Lucas last weekend and he measured my entire bike. Headlight, back, fairings (I have the full factory fairings), side, everything. Oh yes and the tank top too.

So email him by next week and ask how it is coming along and when he can have your tank top kit ready.

Interestingly, we talked for about 2 hours about all kinds of stuff, and he will come attend Salsa dance classes with his wife at the same classes I take.

:thumb: Thanks for doing this. I will likely get the full on kit. i owe ya one if I make it out out to California this summer.

I have emailed Lucas twice about if this is available yet and no response.

I finally installed this Saturday after having it for a while. Took all of 15 minutes and other than a few edge spots that didn't stay down I am happy.

Getting back to everyone about the tip to use rubbing alcohol in a spray bottle (instead of soapy water -dishwashing detergent). I finally got around to reapplying the bottom back end of the center tank protector piece and used the alcohol - it does work better!

When spritzed onto the tank it spreads sort of like oil would instead of beading up like water does, even with some detergent mixed into the water. Worked like a charm and with a little more spritzed on top the piece laid down nicely without bubbles, etc.

Aloha,
Huladog

Does the tank kit come with a squeegee? The set that came to me only had the film in it.
If it doesn't come with a squeegee, what did you use to work out the soapy water?
A credit card or something similar could be used I guess but would that scratch or damage the film?
The set just arrived and will be installed today or tomorrow.

Does the tank kit come with a squeegee? The set that came to me only had the film in it.
If it doesn't come with a squeegee, what did you use to work out the soapy water?
A credit card or something similar could be used I guess but would that scratch or damage the film?
The set just arrived and will be installed today or tomorrow.
$0.99 at wal mart or the like ;-)

Nope, no squeegie with the kit, just the clear film. You'll have to scrounge something. I had a small rubber squeegie from a home window tinting film kit from Lowe's or HDepot.

Or, if you're really cheap go look in the kitchen for a soft spatula or one of those fancy silicone rubber scrapers or spatula, something soft with a straight edge is all you need. Just don't let the wife know what you're using her stuff for in the garage.

Aloha,
Huladog

The film is now installed. It took longer to find a squeegee than it did to intall them. For that matter I think it may have taken longer to get the film off its backing. Perfect fit with great coverage. I'm very pleased and have instructed others in my office to get theirs ordered.

I saw a fellow Bandit rider a couple weeks ago while at B-fast and we sat, ate, chatted and then went to compare bikes (both 07's his non ABS and only 3K miles!). He had a tint shop do clear tint along the tank line from the side all the way around to the other side. Looked real clean and I liked the fact it covers all the paint where the slapper leaves a little gap between the three pieces. I was kinda ticked until he said it cost him "only $150" :eek2:

I can live with some scratched paint here and there for $130 in my pocket :rofl:

In order to remove lent or anything else attached to the plastic film, after I removed it from the paper I took it to the sink and rinsed it off with hot water to wash it. The hot water also made the plastic more flexible and it molded to the tank better.

i've looked at these in the past and meant to get a set but never did.. silly me. Now i'll have to polish the scratches out before i apply it..

Back