• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

Installing Zega cases on the Wee Strom using Givi racks

Reaction score
When I caved in and decided to get Zega cases for m Wee, I was faced with a dilema... Touratech-USA doesn't sell the Zega pannier racks for the Wee Strom, just the Vee. And even if they had, it was an additional expense on top of the already pricey panniers I was not willing to make.
So I searched all the Strom-related forums and couldn't find anyone else who had posted about doing the install with the Givi racks.
The Zega cases can be bought blank, and the mounting hardware is sold sepparately, for custom installs. All it requires is a round or square tubular rack, of either 15mm, 18mm or 20 mm. At first I thought the Givis were 15mm, but in reality they are somewere between 15 and 17mm. I don't have a caliper, so I couldn't measure properly and notice that they are not quite uniform. So I bought the 15mm hardware.
I removed the "tongue" latch on the top of the racks, where the givi cases lock, they are held by a couple of allen screws. Then I removed the bottom spacers where the cases hang on. The place where the bolts go thourgh the rack protude just a tad, so I ground them off with a countersink bit, also to allow the screw to sit as flat as possible (I swapped the long screw in the rear with the short one that no longer serves a purpose)
ze4.jpg

Looking at the exhaust side, it was obvious that I would have to mod one of the mounting pucks so it would fit between the exhaust and the rack
ze1.jpg

I used a piece of cardboard to make a template for mounting the pucks. The location is critical, you want to make sure that the cases will go in and out easily, but also you must avoid any gaps between the rack and either puck, or else the cases won't fit tight and they'll move all over the place. Also, some of the brackets get in the way, so you need to be careful on were and at what angle to mount the bottom pucks. This template allowed me to check and double check the positioning.
ze2.jpg

Then I had to figure out the positioning of the cases themselves. I tied one with some wraps and played with it until I found a height/angle that I liked and marked the position.
ze3.jpg

I got busy with a wood file and started filling away the bottom rear puck on the exhaust side. It's really hard to see in this picture, but the puck is now shaped to follow the shape of the exhaust
ze5.jpg

Regardless of the checking, double checking and triple checking, I still had to redrill the holes on the cases on a couple of pucks (one on each case). If I were to do this again, I would use a plastic clipboard or something similar to build my template instead of cardboard. Also, after I transferred the holes from the template to the cases, I used double-sided tape to re-check the location of the pucks before drilling. Then, once happy with it, I drilled (with the puck still taped) just as the instructions say. But I believe that some pucks may have shifted position while drilling, and that's why I had to redo some. Instead, I'd just centerpunch the center of the holes, then take the taped pucks off, and drill.

After I drilled and mounted the pucks, and tried mounting the bags, I realized that the racks weren't quite 15mm. So I had to order the 1.5mm spacers. But these racks are so irregular I didn't use all of them.

The cases are finally mounted, and for those interested, the bike width with them mounted (using the 35L cases) is 39".
zeg.jpg

:clap:

Well done. I didn't realize that you had just finished this project when I saw you last weekend. Just casually checking out your bike, it appeared that it was the usual, professional installation. :thumb:

Nice job ana. Your skills continue to amaze me. You do such nice work.

That's a really clean installation. I don't think I would trust myself with something like that, which is cool because now if I ever need to follow suit, I'll know who to call! :trust:

Dave.

Drink

Drink deeply of the touratech kool-aid:lol2:

They have my kids college fund now.....

Back