PDA

View Full Version : Picking up in the morning - quick questions

etcthorne
12-14-2007, 08:02 PM
Hi guys - sorry for the rapid fire volley. I'm sure I'll be around here for a long time though...

I'm picking up my 2007 1250S (Red) in the morning (New). Paid 7800 out the door - is that pretty good?

I'm really sorry I didn't search a lot - I know that's a cardinal rule of sites like this, but I really don't have the time right now.

What is the valve adjustment schedule and does it have to be done at 600 miles? (I hope not).

I had a 750 Katana a few years ago, and couldn't get used to the seating position. Are you able to sit almost upright on the Bandit? It looks comfortable, and I've sat on it, but haven't ridden the sucker yet.

Buying the three year extended warranty - yes or no?

Does the seat need to be replaced immediately for long ride comfort?

Thanks guys - I'll return the favor with lots of answers for someone else.

Squeaky
12-14-2007, 08:29 PM
I'm not speaking of the Bandit specifically, but I've had two Suzukis and the 600 mile service shouldn't have anything to do with valves. It's typically a chance to change the oil, check the air filter (maybe) and check the torque on ALL the bolts - if anything wasn't torqued to spec at delivery, it should have come loose by 600 mi.

That's all I can comment on personally, but WELCOME! :wave:

PhilS
12-14-2007, 08:59 PM
* I'm picking up my 2007 1250S (Red) in the morning (New)..........
* What is the valve adjustment schedule............
* Are you able to sit almost upright on the Bandit?.......
* Buying the three year extended warranty - yes or no?.....
* Does the seat need to be replaced immediately for long ride comfort?...

Hey there - great job, and you picked the best color (haha).

Valves get inspected at 14500 miles. Some early maintenance copies said to do it at 600 miles - EEK GADS - they were wrong.

You sit straight up for the most part and the seat is semi-comfortable. Some people are replacing the bars as they sit at a goofy angle to those with wide shoulders - your mileage and position may vary. If your hands hurt, consider the BikeMaster Daytonas. Search the thread.

Extended warranty....I didn't and really don't see the need. Others will differ in opinion.

I had Frank Turner (Spencer Seat Mods) modify my seat. I thought thought the stocker was very uncomfortable at first and my butt hurt after an hour or so. Two things happened: 1) I modified my seat and that was great, and 2) my butt got used to riding again and effectively hardened up. Don't rush to change things too quick.

Great bike overall - you will love it!!!!!:rider:

Phil

A1A
12-14-2007, 09:46 PM
I'd just like to say welcome aboard the site. Also a most excellent choice of motorcycle and I see you chose the fast RED as well.:pirate:

:rider:

GregH
12-14-2007, 10:06 PM
Too bad you couldn't get the faster Black Bandit, but I'm sure red is nice, too. :mrgreen:

Run Motoman's break-in sequence. http://mototuneusa.com/break_in_secrets.htm

Have Spence put gel and denser foam in the seat. http://greatdaytoride.com/Home_Page.php

Get a Holeshot/Skidmarx Double Bubble windscreen. http://www.holeshot.com/

There is a lot of good info (and good people) on this board. Stop by often.

Oh, take pics of everything and post them here. We don't believe anything without pics! :rider:

etcthorne
12-15-2007, 05:44 AM
Friendly Group!!!! Thanks so much for the replies. I was fairly certain that I'd love the Bandit. Going to pick her up in a couple of hours. My major concern was the riding position and fatigue (I'm 45, and while I'm in pretty good shape, the joints and muscles don't work the same as when I was 20).

I have to mention that I've been a cruiser guy almost all of my life during roughly 30 years of riding. CB350 Honda, Kawa 550LTD, Yamaha 550 Maxim (2 of these), 750 Shadow ACE, C50T Boulevard, VTX 1800C, right up until I had the Katana a year or so ago. I was instantly intoxicated by the ultra-smooth and quiet 4 cylinder (OK, the early bikes in my statement were also 4 bangers, but the Katana was miles ahead of them), and the incredible power from a 750. Just couldn't quite hang with that seating position.

As for reliability, I have no misgivings about Suzuki engine quality - they're generally top-tier.

OK, going to get her soon and will check back in a few hours. Too bad it's supposed to rain later this afternoon in Virginia Beach or I'd be going for a longer break-in ride.

FDM
12-15-2007, 09:07 AM
I had the same problem with my Katana, just a little to lean forward for me, I looked at the Bandit yesterday, sure is a sweet looking ride :trust: I would like to know what you think about the Bandit riding position verses the Kat also if it is confy for a passenger...Congrats on your new bike!!!

GregH
12-15-2007, 11:43 AM
Personally, I like the rather upright seating position of the Bandit. I, too, sit straight and I find the Bandit very comfortable.

Gilk51
12-15-2007, 12:37 PM
Going to pick her up in a couple of hours.

<snip>

OK, going to get her soon and will check back in a few hours.

OK, here is what everyone is thinking:

WHERE ARE THE PICTURES???

:mrgreen:

etcthorne
12-15-2007, 12:58 PM
Just got her home. Only rode about 25 miles back from the dealer....first impressions....

1. Seating is definitely more upright than the Katana was and I don't think that will be a problem.

2. Vibrating plastic in the fairing drove me nuts, but put my hand on the windshield and know it's coming from there - something loose. I'm a master at fixing those kinds of problems.

3. Sucker is noisy when you put it neutral and let the clutch out. Suspect this will quiet after it's broken in a bit. This is also the first year of the new clutch (springs). We'll see on this one. I don't get real excited about these kinds of things. New vehicles often make some strange sounds until everything settles a bit.

4. This one is rather disconcerting - I have a false neutral in what seems to be second and third gear. Neutral light is definitely illuminated, but dull. In real neutral it's very bright. Only noticed this after I had ridden 15 miles and was almost home. Is this common and is there something loose I can look for?

5. Bike is EXTREMELY smooth and shifting is amazing. Almost can't even hear the "snicks" between gears.

6. Unbelievable TORQUE! Even riding below 4K rpm in any gear. It's almost scary! My VTX 1800C didn't even have this much stump pulling power. Of course, it was much heavier. This engine is going to be truly amazing!

7. I was relieved to see what some had already told me - first valve inspection/adjustment not due until 14.5K miles. AMAZING!!!!! That means she'll never see the dealer until then, unless I have to take it in for the neutral thing. I do adjustments and oil, but don't mess with valves.

Anyway, please chime in on the false neutral thing - this worries me and I can't get it back to the dealer until next week at the soonest. Don't think I'll be riding until then - crappy weather this weekend and week before Christmas hubbub next week. I do all my shopping at 9:00 P.M. on the 24th :mrgreen:

GregH
12-15-2007, 01:06 PM
This is the first I've of heard of a "false neutral." Get that fixed.

You'll come to love the torque the more you ride the Bandit. I'm nearing 4000 miles and am still amazed. Of course, so are all of the Harley guys I ride with! :pirate:

etcthorne
12-15-2007, 02:19 PM
GregH - took it out again before the rain gets here for a 20 mile ride. No indication of a false neutral this time. Must have been a quirk - couldn't get rid of it on the way home from the dealer a while ago though, although I don't think I actually shut the bike all the way off and restarted. Strange beginning anyway. Do you have any buzz in your fairing, specifically the windshield? I'm going out to the garage to clean her up (I told the garage guys hands off - I'll clean it). Still has the packing chemicals all over it. 0 miles when I rode it out of their garage. While I'm there I'll check all the fasteners for the fairing - maybe I'll find something loose. That windscreen is definitely not tight though.

Thanks again.

A1A
12-15-2007, 03:56 PM
Congrats on the new ride my friend.:clap: You won't have to worry about the ergonomics with the Bandit 1250S. You shouldn't have any fairing rattle at all with this bike. Keep an eye on on the false neutral issue as well. Its under warranty so my as well let the Dealer sort it out. So are you saying you wouldn't let the Dealer do the Dealer Prep on the bike?:huh:

Ride and post often.

:rider:

etcthorne
12-15-2007, 04:30 PM
A1A - I should have clarified a bit. I've purchased 4 new motorcycles in the past 5 years. Three of those times I was present while they were cleaning the bike. Twice, I've had to stop the kids cleaning the bike because they'd take a nasty old rag and start wiping hard on all surfaces to get the grease and other crap off.

I bought a C50T last year. Saw it in the showroom and it looked perfect. Went back later after it had been "prepped" (oil, battery, coolant, etc) and it had scratches in the paint from some jack***** with a dirty rag or old pair of jeans, you name it.

I much prefer to take them as-is out of the crate. The dealer gets to put in the fluids and battery (I'd actually like to do this myself too, but there are limits), and I take her home under my care. Yes, I'm a bit anal about my bikes. They stay in a locked garage, under a separate cover. They get wiped down after each ride.

By the way, I've never washed a bike with water (then again, I don't ride in the rain either, and don't have to wash off mud). I use pledge furniture polish or the Honda Paint and Chrome Cleaner (discontinued). I use clean microfiber rags and pledge - keeps 'em showroom clean without rust for YEARS.

Roy
12-15-2007, 05:18 PM
Remove the guage cluster and inspect the windscreen front mounts. Dealer installs the windscreen and chances are the $6 buck an hour guy has it on wrong or not tight or in my case no front mounting screws in at all.

PhilS
12-15-2007, 06:46 PM
Remove the guage cluster and inspect the windscreen front mounts. Dealer installs the windscreen and chances are the $6 buck an hour guy has it on wrong or not tight or in my case no front mounting screws in at all.

Chances are also good that $6/hr boy messed up these rubber captive nuts for the windshield mount.....they kinda suck anyway. Here is one place where they mount and what they look like laying on my seat.....

BTW - I use the re-branded Honda Generic Spray Cleaner/Polish....very nice.

http://i195.photobucket.com/albums/z62/stearnsp/B1250SWindhsield008.jpg

http://i195.photobucket.com/albums/z62/stearnsp/B1250SWindhsield012-1.jpg

MetrickMetal
12-19-2007, 11:59 AM
Chances are also good that $6/hr boy messed up these rubber captive nuts for the windshield mount.....they kinda suck anyway. Here is one place where they mount and what they look like laying on my seat.....

BTW - I use the re-branded Honda Generic Spray Cleaner/Polish....very nice.

http://i195.photobucket.com/albums/z62/stearnsp/B1250SWindhsield008.jpg

http://i195.photobucket.com/albums/z62/stearnsp/B1250SWindhsield012-1.jpg

Hi Phil.

Those little rubber bushings are actually called well nuts, and I have found that putting a little RTV silicone around the back side of the flange, and then letting the silicone dry over night really helps keep them in place during installing of the screws.

It also helps to stick your fingers around on the backside to keep them from popping out of the holes in the cowling brace when installing the screws.