PDA

View Full Version : Suzuki touring windscreen

Roy
12-14-2007, 10:10 PM
Well its on and I am somewhat pleased with it. I guess I am getting old and might as well go buy a Goldwing, Bandit ain't getting any quieter, I give up.:giveup: I am 5'9" tall seat is in the tall position, only screen that is totally quiet is the stock one but I can barely hang on to the bike above 80 mph. Wind blast in the chest is tough and my neck gets sore. The givi was probably the best compromise (Richard (A1A) at 6' will enjoy it I am sure). The Suzuki double bubble looks great but it still directs dirty air at the helmet. It also was not the easiest thing to install the holes seemed a bit off compared the the perfect fitting Givi and stock Suzuki screen, go figure. anyway here it is I rode about 60 miles with it on tonight, logged 200 miles total today to work and to the local dealer.:mrgreen: don't shoot me my camera sucks I know. BTW it is no taller than stock on more vertical in the middle hence the bubble.
http://i144.photobucket.com/albums/r173/rholmes18/2007%20Bandit%201250S/Suzukidoublebubblescreen001.jpg
http://i144.photobucket.com/albums/r173/rholmes18/2007%20Bandit%201250S/Suzukidoublebubblescreen003.jpg
http://i144.photobucket.com/albums/r173/rholmes18/2007%20Bandit%201250S/Suzukidoublebubblescreen002.jpg

pkiser
12-14-2007, 11:13 PM
Does Zero Gravity make a sport touring screen for the new Bandit?

A1A
12-15-2007, 03:34 AM
Roy,

The factory double bubble shield certainly looks good on the Bandit.:clap: Hope you can find Nirvana with this new shield.

:rider:

Roy
12-15-2007, 07:08 AM
Does Zero Gravity make a sport touring screen for the new Bandit?

nope

Roy
12-15-2007, 07:11 AM
Roy,

The factory double bubble shield certainly looks good on the Bandit.:clap: Hope you can find Nirvana with this new shield.

It is not that bad Richard, guess I was expecting more. I should know better by now after owning two V-Stroms. Suzuki can't build a slipstreamer bike. Their Hayabusa is the only thing they make on two wheels that has ever seen the inside of a wind tunnel all the rest are the wind tunnel.:lol2:

If looks could win this shield would win the contest unfortunately that is only part of the equation.

GregH
12-15-2007, 10:40 AM
You might consider Dale Walker's Double Bubble. The bubble bows out 3 5/8" which is 2" more than the stock windscreen. It moves the air higher (bridge of my nose) and is pretty clean.

Also, Dale is going to design an actual touring screen for the Bandit and Skidmarx said they'll manufacture it for him. You might stay with the Suzuki screen until Dale gets his new screen designed.

rrrr
12-15-2007, 11:45 AM
I put the Powerbronz on with the 4 inch rise. Product good. At 70mph wind just hits the top of my helmet.

Roy
12-15-2007, 04:14 PM
You might consider Dale Walker's Double Bubble. The bubble bows out 3 5/8" which is 2" more than the stock windscreen. It moves the air higher (bridge of my nose) and is pretty clean.

Also, Dale is going to design an actual touring screen for the Bandit and Skidmarx said they'll manufacture it for him. You might stay with the Suzuki screen until Dale gets his new screen designed.

Nope I am done with the windscreen changes.

Roy
12-15-2007, 04:15 PM
I put the Powerbronz on with the 4 inch rise. Product good. At 70mph wind just hits the top of my helmet.

That looks like the Givi design.

sailor
12-16-2007, 01:20 PM
I have a Givi as well but was looking for an improvement, the ongoing search as they say. I sure would love to hear from someone that did a side by side comparison between the Givi type and the one Zenman likes with the spoiler on top. Hey Roy, the comment about Suzuki and the wind tunnel was pretty sharp..Cheers

Roy
12-18-2007, 11:25 AM
After a few more miles I think I like this screen it suits me pretty good and looks the business.

suzukijo
12-18-2007, 05:18 PM
i bought the skidmarx from dale walker www.holeshot.com $122.16 total.

trial fitment was stressfull, and it needed some trimming. inside corners of stock screen had more clearance, so i used rotary cutter to modify to fit.

http://img142.imageshack.us/img142/2475/img3136ku0.jpg

at the mounting holes front and back.

http://img71.imageshack.us/img71/2061/img3137ek8.jpg

comparison between stock and replacement areas needing trimming obvious

http://img413.imageshack.us/img413/1681/img3131yj5.jpg

clearance needed here also for dash panel.

http://img413.imageshack.us/img413/3554/img3138ah6.jpg

ending up nicely, and small pocket at speed is more comfortable than stock, and i like the racer-type look.

http://img152.imageshack.us/img152/7752/img3139uz9.jpg

http://img413.imageshack.us/img413/3015/img3511cw9.jpg

PhilS
12-18-2007, 08:56 PM
Suzukijo:

Your bike looks outstanding. The Hoelshot version does not look too much higher than stock. What's the latest ride report with it.

Here's mine - the Givi.

http://i195.photobucket.com/albums/z62/stearnsp/BanditwithShield004.jpg

suzukijo
12-18-2007, 10:14 PM
i like the look of the skidmarx, and its a little taller than stock. i was suprised it actually did make the bike somewhat more pleasant, but it really seems to be about right at speeds over 100.

i doubt that its as much protection as some of the larger flatter screens, but i've ridden a lot of stuff over the years, and I didnt want to have an overly big pocket in front of me.

i've ridden some bike with shields so large, that at speed any crosswind puts the bike in the other lane, and i am trying to keep this one sort of sport-bike like.

at slower more modest speeds, 60-80 it seems to shove the air edge at my helmet, but its better than the stock original unit, it doesnt take much crouching or tucking to 'get behind it'.

it might not look that much taller than stock, but i put some risers under my bars to make them higher, which sort of contradicts what i said about keeping it sport-bike like, but i guess i'm old skool, elbows up high and wide.
the clip-on low bar setting makes me lock up after about 20 min. but i'm good for about a full tank of the gsf, with it as it is now.

http://img120.imageshack.us/img120/2262/img3246yp3.jpg

for comparison a picture of rossis bike, i liked the round look.

http://img340.imageshack.us/img340/985/img3358sc5.jpg

MetrickMetal
12-19-2007, 10:28 AM
I bought the Givi screen, and I like it a lot better than the stocker.

flickmeister
12-30-2007, 06:50 PM
I have the MRA touring screen on order. Supposed to be 2-3" taller than stock and it seems to flip up a bit. Letcha know. Stay tuned.....

A1A
12-31-2007, 12:39 PM
Suzukijo:

Here's mine - the Givi.

http://i195.photobucket.com/albums/z62/stearnsp/BanditwithShield004.jpg

That's the one I have as well, Givi D262S Windscreen. Took about 20 mins. to install.

I'd like to say thanks to Roy for selling me the screen. Also thanks to Phil and Greg for answering all my dumb install questions.:clap:

I'm 6' 0" tall with a 31" inseam and raised 3/4" riders seat. The wind blast moved up from my chest. To the top of my shoulders and to the facial area of my helmet. I think this screen is going to work for me.

:rider: :pirate: :flip:

etcthorne
12-31-2007, 01:56 PM
How much is the Givi windscreen? Does anyone want to sell me theirs? Does it block a LOT more wind than stock? I'm 6'0" and already raised the seat for junk comfort :mrgreen:

A1A
12-31-2007, 02:40 PM
How much is the Givi windscreen? Does anyone want to sell me theirs? Does it block a LOT more wind than stock? I'm 6'0" and already raised the seat for junk comfort :mrgreen:

The Givi Screen runs about $117.00 not including shipping.

The Givi Screen is about 4.6" inches taller than the stock Bandit Screen. So it just raises the wind blast up off your chest. If you are looking for Honda Goldwing type wind protection, its not happening with this screen.

Check out this site!

http://www.twistedthrottle.com/trade/productview/3107/584/

etcthorne
12-31-2007, 03:58 PM
Thanks A1A!

Is it worth the money? I mean, I know it's getting the wind off your chest, but will it be mid-helmet level or close to that. Screen looks cool. Might order it tonight. Also looking for recommendations for soft saddle bags. I already have a Kuryakin grand touring bag that fits nicely on the pillion for the top load stuff. Want to make this into a tourer. Looking at possibly a seat next, but raising the seat made a tremendous difference in comfort for me, and I might hold off on that.

I'd really like to put the Givi hard stuff on, but have a hard time swallowing the $1,000 + tab on that. Now that I have money, it's that much harder to part with it.

PhilS
12-31-2007, 04:19 PM
Thanks A1A!
.....but will it be mid-helmet level or close to that?.......

My experience at 6'3" is that is hits me dead middle of the face now. I wear a full face helmet and experience no problems. Even at higher speeds of 90ish (at least that's higher to me :mrgreen: ), there is no "ruddering" of the helmet - it seems to be just right. I also like the ribber edging to the windshield - it gives it a finished look.

etcthorne
12-31-2007, 04:57 PM
Thanks Phil. I should have asked you about this in the first place. Your Bandit is loaded the way I'd like mine to end up. I think I'll shell out for the Givi screen. I'm still going to go the soft bag route for a while though. I do think your Bandito is sweeto! Sweeto Bandito? :rider:

PhilS
12-31-2007, 06:20 PM
Thanks - but $1200 for all my Givi gear!!! Between that, the bike, and all the other mods I have done and those all you guys are wooing me in to doing, I have spent more on this bike than any other. :eek2: :eek2: :eek2:

Clearly, I have no will power!!!

Oh well, I can always make more money.;-)

A1A
12-31-2007, 07:04 PM
Thanks A1A!

Is it worth the money? I mean, I know it's getting the wind off your chest, but will it be mid-helmet level or close to that. Screen looks cool. Might order it tonight. Also looking for recommendations for soft saddle bags. I already have a Kuryakin grand touring bag that fits nicely on the pillion for the top load stuff. Want to make this into a tourer. Looking at possibly a seat next, but raising the seat made a tremendous difference in comfort for me, and I might hold off on that.

I'd really like to put the Givi hard stuff on, but have a hard time swallowing the $1,000 + tab on that. Now that I have money, it's that much harder to part with it.

The wind will hit you right in the facial area of the helmet and just slightly on the top of your shoulders. Givi is definitely a quality screen and well worth the money.

HTH's

flickmeister
12-31-2007, 08:41 PM
For you folks looking for a great soft luggage system at a very reasonable price (at least 1/2 the Givi), check out the Ventura Bike Pack System. Really great, high quality stuff. Cheers, Jack

GregH
01-01-2008, 10:36 AM
I have to put in a vote for the Holeshot/Skidmarx Double Bubble. My install went smoothly and it moved the windstream to the bridge of my nose (I'm 5'10"). My helmet handles the wind with no "ruddering" (good word, Phil).

Here (http://www.twtex.com/forums/showthread.php?t=23266) is my install thread with pics.

etcthorne
01-01-2008, 04:44 PM
Roy, I'd like to buy your Givi. It's for a 2007 1250S, right? Give me a shout at 757.589.8709 - cell or 757.490.6234 Work. I'll be in my office at 0700 ET. Thanks!

Mark Thorne "etcthorne"

Roy
01-01-2008, 05:10 PM
Roy, I'd like to buy your Givi. It's for a 2007 1250S, right? Give me a shout at 757.589.8709 - cell or 757.490.6234 Work. I'll be in my office at 0700 ET. Thanks!

Mark Thorne "etcthorne"

Mark I sold the screen a while back to A1A here on the board.

dwoodul
02-08-2008, 04:28 PM
Old news but I just installed my Givi windscreen. I like it because it has the "lip". It was easy to install (thanks to some tips from this forum) and took about 30 minutes. I'll test more tomorrow but a short ride today told me it was MUCH better than stock. I'll ring it our tomorrow. No pics 'cause Phil and etcthorne already have good ones of this screen. The screen is about 5 in higher that stock. It's not perfectly clear but at 5'8" I'm looking over the screen anyway.

Anyway I like it a lot - got it from Twistedthrottle for $117 and Twisted had it shipped in 14 hours - UPS tracking# and all. Real good service.

Don't hate me for this but it's 72 degrees in Dallas right now, 68 for tomorrow and 70 for Sunday so I'm gonna do some riding this weekend. Of course we have to put with living in **** in the summer but the once-in-a-while warm weekends in the winter are nice.

My 2-Bros slip-on is due in next Tues and I will post picks on that installation.

Ol Dave

GregH
02-08-2008, 05:03 PM
Yep, I'm riding with some friends up to Jacksboro for a Herdburger.
It should be a great a day for running the twisties!

Oh, post pics anyway. We love 'em and we don't believe anything without 'em. :clap:

Roy
02-08-2008, 07:59 PM
Givi screen was a good screen just did not work for me in the end.

BTW suppose to be 65 here tomorrow in Mississippi, headed south to Leathas BBQ in Hattiesburg, Ms. Best ribs this side of the Ms. guaranteed! No knife needed or teeth:lol2:

http://www.leathas.com/ mmm,,good

The Ferret
02-08-2008, 08:41 PM
Roy ever eat at a place called the Old Country Store in Lorman Miss (near Natchez). Supposedly the best fried chicken in the world. My wife and I rode down there last year and ate while we were riding the Trace. Can't say it was the best in the world seeins how I haven't tried every fried chicken place on earth (yet) but it was pretty darn good. $7 all you can eat with all the fixins. I think it was on 49 if memory serves me.

Roy
02-09-2008, 07:01 AM
Roy ever eat at a place called the Old Country Store in Lorman Miss (near Natchez). Supposedly the best fried chicken in the world. My wife and I rode down there last year and ate while we were riding the Trace. Can't say it was the best in the world seeins how I haven't tried every fried chicken place on earth (yet) but it was pretty darn good. $7 all you can eat with all the fixins. I think it was on 49 if memory serves me.

Yep, I have ate there:eat:

Fried chicken, good stuff!! I ride to eat all over Ms. ever chance I get, makes for some great riding. I am 160 lbs wet so eating ain't a problem for me,,,,,,,yet.;-)

dwoodul
02-09-2008, 08:41 AM
Roy,

Although I was born in Texas a lot of my family is from MS - Westpoint, MS. I attended some school (1st grade - in Jackson, MS) and yes I can spell Mississippi (hope that's right). Anyway, I used to live in Shreveport, LA back when I was young and crazy (now I just old and crazier) and put a lot of miles on a BMW 90R6. Our group would head over to MS on the weekends and ride (I think) the Natchez Trace then up through Greenville and up into Tennessee and the Tennessee Valley Authority area/campgrounds. What I remember most was the great roads/rides and the great food.

Those were the good old days. I'm looking forward to more “great rides and good days". Maybe head over to MS again sometime.

Ol Dave

Roy
02-09-2008, 07:04 PM
Roy,

Although I was born in Texas a lot of my family is from MS - Westpoint, MS. I attended some school (1st grade - in Jackson, MS) and yes I can spell Mississippi (hope that's right). Anyway, I used to live in Shreveport, LA back when I was young and crazy (now I just old and crazier) and put a lot of miles on a BMW 90R6. Our group would head over to MS on the weekends and ride (I think) the Natchez Trace then up through Greenville and up into Tennessee and the Tennessee Valley Authority area/campgrounds. What I remember most was the great roads/rides and the great food.

Those were the good old days. I'm looking forward to more “great rides and good days". Maybe head over to MS again sometime.

Ol Dave

We will be here.:rider: rode 230 miles today, excellent weather, about 70 degrees. Ate some good BBQ. Had a guy on a brand new '07 GSX-R750 leave the rode in front of me on Red Bluff road Hwy 587 suoth of Monticello. It went in the ditch and on top of him, he was okay bike was rideable but plastic all banged up. Took us 2 hours to get him home he was too shook up to ride it. I rode it the bike was fine it had 609 miles on it:-( hate it when that happens. I seen the whole wreck unfold he just did not attempt to make the turn and object fixated on the ditch. He was doing about 65 mph when he left the road. It has been raining alot and the ground was soft saved alot of hard damage to the bike since it just dug in.

dwoodul
02-10-2008, 06:48 PM
Funny story – for me anyway.

Got my Givi screen on and took it for a test ride. Dang if it didn’t “sing” to me. Took me 5 miles to figure out the sound of wind “whining” across the screen was really was my full-face helmet face shield not being closed all the way. With that issue out of the way I took the Bandit out on I-30 where you MUST go at least 80mph to keep from getting squashed by the semis. As others have said, the Givi offers MUCH better wind protection. At 5’8” the wind hits about the top of my helmet and makes for a much more comfortable ride. At one point, for a few seconds ;-) , I hit 100mph (way to easy to do that on this bike) and the screen and bike were very stable - still have great protection. . Worth the $117 any day. Lost my camera then found it but it’s dark now so I’ll do pictures after my 2-Bros slip-on goes on later this week.

One more thing about the "100mph" - which I really don't try often. (Funny how the older you get the more you don't want to die). I'm just getting this thing broken so this is the first time I've pushed it a little. It's almost weird how easy and quick this bike hit 100+ - no effort and smooth as silk. I'm likin this bike more each time I ride it.

Ol Dave

rworm
02-10-2008, 07:04 PM
We will be here.:rider: rode 230 miles today, excellent weather, about 70 degrees. Ate some good BBQ. Had a guy on a brand new '07 GSX-R750 leave the rode in front of me on Red Bluff road Hwy 587 suoth of Monticello. It went in the ditch and on top of him, he was okay bike was rideable but plastic all banged up. Took us 2 hours to get him home he was too shook up to ride it. I rode it the bike was fine it had 609 miles on it:-( hate it when that happens. I seen the whole wreck unfold he just did not attempt to make the turn and object fixated on the ditch. He was doing about 65 mph when he left the road. It has been raining alot and the ground was soft saved alot of hard damage to the bike since it just dug in.

lots of people would have passed by-SALUTE TO ROY-ypu rode his bike back for him:clap: -GOOD JOB!!!!

rworm

PhilS
02-10-2008, 07:40 PM
I seen the whole wreck unfold he just did not attempt to make the turn and object fixated on the ditch.

Once again it rings true - Your head must be turned and your eyes must be focused on where you want to go and your bike will magically follow.

Generally people crash right where they are looking - or "fixating" in this case.

gil moreno
02-12-2008, 06:36 PM
How do you remove the stock windscreen on the 07 Bandit? I purchased a Givi D262S but cannot figure out how to remove the stock windscreen. Can somebody please help me?

dwoodul
02-14-2008, 08:43 AM
Sorry guys - I added this post by mistake. Can't figure out how to delete it. disregard.. Thanks

I just added the Givi screen. I'm 5'8" and it puts the wind just at the top or slightly over my helmet. I tested it last weekend at freeway speeds and it did real well right up to 105mph (which is as fast as I was willing to go in traffic). IMO - the Givi is a vast improvement over the stock. The wind blast isn't trying to rip my helmet off anymore and the ride at high speeds is just more comfortable. The Givi has a "lip" that, I think, pushes the wind-blast up a little more than a non-lip screen (not to be confused with a hair-lip screen :lol2: ). I bought mine at Twisted on a Sunday night ($117) and they had it on the way w/tracking# the next morning at 10AM and it arrived that Thurs. Real good service. The MSRP for that screen is, I believe, $130. I'm glad I switched. The installation from Greg and the rest of this forum made the installation real simple.

ol dave

gunzip
02-17-2008, 10:22 AM
One more thing about the "100mph" - which I really don't try often. (Funny how the older you get the more you don't want to die). I'm just getting this thing broken so this is the first time I've pushed it a little. It's almost weird how easy and quick this bike hit 100+ - no effort and smooth as silk. I'm likin this bike more each time I ride it.

Ol Dave

Yea I've noticed that too Dave . I am all the time looking down and being surprised at how fast i am accidentally going. Going to get a ticket real soon

I am starting to fall in love with this bandit

bones
02-27-2008, 12:03 PM
Can you get a double bubble tinted? Not a clear screen fan

Roy
02-27-2008, 12:25 PM
Can you get a double bubble tinted? Not a clear screen fan

The Suzuki double bubble touring screen is tinted.

GregH
02-27-2008, 12:33 PM
The Holeshot/Skidmarx Double Bubble is also lightly tinted.

bones
02-27-2008, 01:07 PM
Thanks, lightly does not cut it with me, I like dark. I will do some shopping tonight and until I get some miles on this garage queen I am not buying one. Hoping it warms up soon, I have a 1000 mile weekend trip planned and sure would like to take the bandit out on this voyage in stock trim to decide what I like and dislike since that is going to be it's job, touring....a lot.

GregH
02-27-2008, 01:14 PM
"Garage Queen"? Why don't you take that bike out for a ride?
We had nice weather this past weekend, although it was a bit windy. How much different could it be up where you are? :sun:

bones
02-27-2008, 01:36 PM
Try 20's and ice covered roads. Not a chance I could even get out of my driveway or my subdivision. Might...just might melt off this weekend. Plus I won't take it out until it's pretty dry. If it's going to get filthy and salty I will take the VFR since this is the last season I will own it I imagine.

It's been a bad year here. Good time to move back to Iowa, 3rd worst winter in history here. :zen:

Where is flower mound?

GregH
02-27-2008, 01:47 PM
Where is flower mound?
North Texas. Currently 60 and clear. Expect temps to reach 70 this weekend.
Don't worry, we'll get ours come August/September...:giveup: