• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

1250 Bandit Maintenance

PhilS

Reaction score
I figured this might be a doable thread, and besides, I had a maintenance question - so there!

Anyone tried to access and pull the spark plugs out yet on thier 1250? It seems like a long way down with the cap/coil assy on top plus removing the tank and all.

Thoughts?

Phil,

Its good to pull the tank. Removing a tank on a MC is a basic/necessary step for many important maintenance-related tasks so its good to get familiar with the procedure anyway.

I always remove the tank before pulling the plugs on Bandits. Its easy to get dirt, debris, corosion (rust particles), etc down in those deep spark plug wells next to the plugs. If you remove the tank, you can use your ShopVac to suck out any debris that might have accumulated in there before removing the plugs. If you don't do this, you run the risk of that stuff falling into the combustion chamber which is not good. The last time I changed plugs in mine, I actually had a spark plug compression ring come off an old plug (stupid autolite plugs - never again!) while removing it from the head. Having the tank off the bike allowed me to fish that sucker out of there before installing the new plug.

As for tools?? I just you a 19mm SPARKPLUG socket (the one with the rubber insert) with an 3" extension and rachet to do the job. Go down to Sears and get one. I use the tool kit under the seat for emergencies only, while on the road.

I tried pulling one of the cap plugs/coils off from the side of the engine - not straight up with the tank off and it was a real ****. In fact, I couldn't do it. I assume with the tank off it becomes doable and even easier.......we'll see.

Phil

With the tank off the plug cap coil overs wil come right off. Same setup on my GSX-R750 I had. Unplug the power leads and pull straight up.

img2288xa3.jpg

planning on having low fuel in the tank, using a small block of wood under the back mount when unhooking wires and hoses, and knowing that to get the fuel line off you need to push in the blue tabs and wiggle them.

makes getting access to the spark plugs easy.

Actually I am looking forward to working on the bike this winter. For some strange reason I like taking it apart and putting it back together again. Thanks for the undertank photo.

Onward.....:rider:

img2288xa3.jpg

planning on having low fuel in the tank, using a small block of wood under the back mount when unhooking wires and hoses, and knowing that to get the fuel line off you need to push in the blue tabs and wiggle them.

makes getting access to the spark plugs easy.

For reference... I assume you can you unplug the power to the fuel pump (orange plug) and then start the bike like you would a car to depressurize the fuel system? I've had the tank off a couple times already, but each time I've disconnected the blue connector I've been greeted with a spritz of gas b/c I've failed to depressurize the fuel system... :giveup:

trey

like you, i have learned by error, not to turn the key on with the fuel lines disconnected.
honestly, i havnt searched manual to find proper method of key on, with gastank removed.

like you, i have learned by error, not to turn the key on with the fuel lines disconnected.
honestly, i havnt searched manual to find proper method of key on, with gastank removed.

I'm talking about removing the lines even after the bike has been sitting. It seems to stay pressurized for quite a while... :eek2:

With my cars, the standard practice is to unplug the fuel pump (or remove the fuse), then start the car with the rest of the lines connected, until it dies of fuel starvation. The system is empty, and thus depressurized....

On the bike, for whatever reason (I'm usually too excited to install my newest farkle), I've failed to follow my own common sense, and as soon as I unplug the blue connector, I get a shirt full of gas... ugh.

trey

Dumb question here. How do you remove the tank without lossing all of the gas. My bikes seem to break down just after I fill-up.:doh:

I believe since it's fuel injected and the pump is inside the tank, once you pull power off the pump, gas no longer comes out of the lines. SO it's all contained.

This is unlike carb'd bikes where it comes out of the open or leaky petcock valve, gets all over your garage floor, soaks into everything, catches the place on fire, spreads throughout the neighborhood, burns our crops, contamenates our water supply, and thus sends a plague unto our people.......or at least it's messy in some form!!

Sorry...:eek2:

This is unlike carb'd bikes where it comes out of the open or leaky petcock valve, gets all over your garage floor, soaks into everything, catches the place on fire, spreads throughout the neighborhood, burns our crops, contamenates our water supply, and thus sends a plague unto our people.......or at least it's messy in some form!!

So, you were watching me when I removed the tank from my '03 Bandit.:doh: :rofl:

My oil inpsection window had this strange cloudy milky look to it today. Normally its clear or shows the oil of course. It's 40 degrees and sunny and I put about an hour or two of riding on it today. I put it on the center stand and started it and the moving oil and heat seemed to make it go away. Strange.

Anyone else seen this cloudy look before?

Dumb question here. How do you remove the tank without lossing all of the gas. My bikes seem to break down just after I fill-up.:doh:

If you disconnect the fuel line at the injector side( not the tank side) nothing will drip, the hose is a quick connect type.

My oil inpsection window had this strange cloudy milky look to it today. Normally its clear or shows the oil of course. It's 40 degrees and sunny and I put about an hour or two of riding on it today. I put it on the center stand and started it and the moving oil and heat seemed to make it go away. Strange.

Anyone else seen this cloudy look before?

That's real common, especially in colder weather on a cold start-up. What you're seeing are minute air bubbles in the oil.

Dave

Thanks Dave - that confirms my thoughts and sets all at ease. I checked the coolant level and it was just under the "L" mark, but not by much and it's never been touched since purchased 3100 miles and 6 months ago. This is just 4 month old 2500 mile condensation in the oil.

Thanks

Suzuki Joe:

I am not normally one to rip into things without worrying, I mean, analyzing it prior......it's a fault, I know.

This is your picture. Can I correctly assume only the arrowed items used to be hooked to the vents that you plugged with something small like battery filling plugs? The rest of the stuff comes off not attached to anything - and - you left the wiring hooked up to the venting solenoid under the left fairing......all true?

can.jpg

the 4 hoses connect to carb venturi to provide vacuum, those outlets need to be plugged. old battery vent caps (when you get a new batt) work well.

img0144ee2.jpg

img2281er1.jpg

the vent from the tank, i routed next to centerstand pivot. if i left the venting soldnoid unplugged FI warning stayed on, so i left it mounted (under left fairing panel) and plugged in, and capped it also. bugs have a habit of filling small holes with eggs, and i or the next owner, may someday want to use it again.

img0146uu0.jpg

img2284vr3.jpg

the metal line was from the tank vent forward. the other drain off the tank is from the gas cap overflow area. keep it, and just run a tube from the tank vent, (which originally went to cannister) open to atmosphere, like so many previous bikes, venting near the stand pivot.

Re: 1250 Bandit Maintenance - my wires are exposed!

I wanted to try putting this in the maintenance thread and see if I get any responses. Question: The wires for my Bandit’s (1250) FI and what-have-you seem to just “hang” down under the tank and one set even rests against the left outside cylinder (I know, I’ll try to get some pictures next time it’s uncovered). Is this normal? I’m going to gently tie-wrap the wires in as neat a bundle as possible. It just struck me as unusual to see as many loose/exposed wires down there. This is the first FI bike I’ve owned so maybe this is normal. Again – I’ll try for some pictures soon.

Thanks,

Ol Dave
07 Bandit (Black)

It looks like some of you have learned how to take your gas tank off but have any of you tackled your first valve clearance adjustment? If so, how did it go? Did you have to pull the cams to make the adjust?

Re: 1250 Bandit Maintenance - my wires are exposed!

The wires for my Bandit’s (1250) FI and what-have-you seem to just “hang” down under the tank and one set even rests against the left outside cylinder ......snip by suzukijo....

that bugged me too. i rerouted the wires, stock look below.

img2279dr9.jpg

rerouting and bending, changed it to this,

img2286nr1.jpg

to make it look like this,

img2293wt5.jpg

this was originally posted on www.riderforums.com
http://www.riderforums.com/showthread.php?t=27947&page=8
08/04/07

Re: 1250 Bandit Maintenance - my hanging wires

Suzukijo,

Thanks - I didn't describe my "hanging wires" very well. Some actually hang below the carbs (FIs) so I'll do some re-routing this weekend. Yours look good, neat and organized.

Thanks,

Ol Dave

Back